By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martyn K

Here is a list of all the postings Martyn K has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mini Jazz or similar being considered
20/07/2018 08:00:24

My thoughts with the Mini Jazz. With the .15 that I used to power it, it was fine for conventional aerobatics but would need more power for harrier type manoeuvres.

It is a great model, however, I don't fly mine very often as I have eyesight problems (I prefer to fly much bigger aeroplanes) but this thread has inspired me to get it out again.

If you do build it, add a couple of extra vertical grain strips around the fus (like a doubler) around the TE of the Fus. Its a weak point in the design.

Good luck.

Martyn

Thread: Martyn's Dalotel
18/07/2018 14:09:12

Thanks all

It will still be a while before it gets flown. Hopefully completed and maidened before the Ashborne October Scale Day. Lots of fiddly bits to do yet

Certainly the biggest Mass build effort I have done so far. I normally finish them within 2 weeks

Martyn

18/07/2018 07:58:19

A bit more progress. Nearly all paint although I have added anti-spin strakes and trim tabs.

end1.jpg

and

end2.jpg

and

end3.jpg

and

end4.jpg

However, looking at bit more closley. I clearly cut the masks a but too quickly because the edge is a bit jagged

end5.jpg

The lettering on the right side didn't come out too well although I have managed to tidy it up a bit

end6.jpg

I have spotted some of the small letter centres and tidied some of the black with a 0000 sized sable brush but that really was a bit too big

Next jobs are.

Add a bit more scale detail, the instrument panels, a dummy engine and fins, klasskote clear and then a maiden. The graphics for the panels have been done, just need to get them cut. New blades please!

More to come

Martyn

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
17/07/2018 11:01:11
Posted by Steve J on 11/07/2018 11:14:42:

I suspect that the DfT/CAA realised that giving a blanket exemption to 35,000+ people would make the 400ft limit completely pointless.

I don't think the plan was to grant an exemption to 35,000 people. My understanding was the location would get the exemption..

Thread: Are there any female members in your club?
06/07/2018 06:49:00

we have two ladies who fly with us in the UKCAA. Both very competent

Martyn

Thread: K5682 - Martyn's Fury
05/07/2018 10:06:40

Hi Colin

Yes - that is correct. It will turn an 18x14 prop. Available from Just engines at eek pounds each. It also has a nifty rear starter point using an Allen socket. Not sure if I will use that though

I do hope its reliable. It wasn't cheap - even second hand..

Martyn

05/07/2018 07:46:57

There is a video here that shows how it works.

No embed code for some reason

Youtube

Thread: What percentage of pilots fly Mode 1 in the UK?
04/07/2018 17:03:46

I learned to fly on a Futaba 2 channel Transmitter (gliders). Rudder (or aileron) on the right stick , elevator left stick. This was effectively Mode 1 on 2 channels.

When I graduated to a Futaba 27MHz M (FM) in about 1980 it seemed sensible to stick with this - in fact the default was Mode 1. Throttle/Aileron right, Rudder/Elevator left.

When I came back to flying after about a 10 year gap - about 10 years ago, I decided to re-learn to fly on Mode 2 as I thought (incorrectly) that I may need instruction (which I didn't) - which in hindsight was a mistake as (apparently) its far easier to roll on Mode 1. Right stick controls the roll rate, left stick can be moved in a triangle (ish) to correctly place the rudder then elevator then rudder to keep the roll nice and axial.

Now, am I too late to undo the error of my ways?

Martyn

Thread: Colinís Spanish Fury
04/07/2018 16:27:19

Didn't some of the Iranian Fury's see action? They were front line aircraft until 1949 IIRC

Thread: K3731 Martians Fury 1
04/07/2018 16:26:05

Subscribed

04/07/2018 16:24:13

My RCV90SP turned up (courtesy of placing a wanted ad in the BMFA classified). Only run in and never flown. Nice and oily.

It looks like it will be a perfect fit

rcv90sp-1.jpg

and

rcv90sp-2.jpg

It is certainly a weird looking engine. One of the nice things is that RCV provided details of the right sight size vents and how to direct cooling air. I'll probably mount it needle valve pointing downwards - it depends on where I route the exhaust. Getting quite excited now. That is one big hurdle out of the way

More to come

Martyn

Thread: Chris's Vicomte 1916
04/07/2018 13:58:05

Still following along Chris

Those wheels look great - ingenious even..

I also agree that Natural Solartex is the way to go with this. I am surprised you didn't do the wheels the same and show off those lovely spokes

Martyn

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.
03/07/2018 09:11:38

I have to admit that looks superb.. Very tempted with one of these now.

(Note to self - add to list and reschedule 10 year build programme)

Martyn

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
02/07/2018 16:46:48

Is this it?

Tool

Martyn

29/06/2018 16:39:40

Hi Ernie, the etcher will thank you profusely if you can mask off that big white area and make it black as this will be 'expensive' (in chemicals) and very time consuming to etch. Perhaps also duplicate some smaller pieces as spares?

Apart from that, it looks fantastic.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 29/06/2018 16:40:22

Thread: UKCAA @ Royston 2018
29/06/2018 14:40:21

Another great meeting with superb warm and sunny weather. The best turnout we have had this year as well.

A fantastic days flying. We had a one round Pick7 contest with 6 entrants and with me as judge.

We had an equal first of Shelly Redworth and Greg Butterworth with Simon Ford in 3rd place.

A few photos - just a subset of the almost 30 models that were on show.

pict3080.jpg

Simon Ford and Jetta

pict3081.jpg

Barry Meredith with Bar-Fli and Upset II

pict3082.jpg

Barry's Bar Fli

pict3083.jpg

Tony Bloomfield's Bullet + 10%

pict3084.jpg

A fleet of DSM Models belonging to Tony and Felix

pict3086.jpg

Peter Burgess lovely Adagio

pict3096.jpg

Marion Meredith Upset II

pict3120.jpg

Adagio

pict3121.jpg

Adagio - a little overexposed

pict3130.jpg

Simon Ford's Jetta

pict3136.jpg

Tony Bloomfield's Smartmove

pict3137.jpg

Jetta

pict3139.jpg

Next event is members only at Skegness - 7-8 July

Martyn

29/06/2018 13:37:00

Its quite a safe choice Danny. The paint detail on some of the schemes - although very attractive - would frighten me to death if I actually had to paint them

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
29/06/2018 13:33:47

There are a good selection of Fury Colour Schemes here:

There a 3 pages of schemes to peruse. Page selection is near the bottom. Not immediately obvious

Martyn

Thread: Martyn's Dalotel
29/06/2018 10:58:30

Have a look at Diatex. Cheaper and lighter than Solartex but not self adhesive,

Martyn

29/06/2018 10:35:34

This is the aircraft that I am planning to build for the latest Scale Mass Build Master Class.

k5682.jpg

It will be powered by an ic engine, I have managed to acquire an almost new RCV90SP which should be a good fit and match without any protruding lumps

90sp.jpg

I haven't actually got my hands on it yet, but it may mean that firewalls will need a little tweaking. Nothing insurmountable - hopefully.

I have to admit that I am worried about cooling - I am not sure how I am going to address that - and I think the electric powered models may have the same problem. I think that will be one of the bigger logistic challenges.

Other challenges - silver paint can be challenging to get a nice even coat.. I will almost certainly use Klass Kote for paint - at least for the silver. Getting the correct shade of blue for the trim may be more difficult but it will be finished with Klass Kote clear anyway

Construction however, looks fairly straightforward except for the "new to me" challenge of lots of bent wire for struts and things like that. If you get the wheel axle a couple of mm short then no-one will notice, A twisted or asymetric cabane will cause big problems.. One of my projects on the go is a Free Flight Scale Bucker Jungmann which is just about ready to start the wire-work. It will be good to practice on.

My background. I have been building and flying model aircraft for almost 50 years but only comparatively recently been bitten by the scale bug. I am still building my Chippie (from the last Master Class) but that will hopefully be fully painted before we start this.

I will never be as good a builder as Danny and the other scale masters so will not be trying for a Class A scale model but what I do want is a good Stand Off Scale with lots of detail to satisfy those who want a closer look. It will have to look 'right' even though it may never satisfy a judge.

Hopefully, it will be under 5kg and will therefore qualify for the new BMFA Light Scale Class.

What I would love to see is a squadron of Furies at a show in perhaps a couple of years time. I think that would look awesome and be a great credit to our honourable leader and mentor, Mr Fenton.

More to come..

Martyn

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues