By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martyn K

Here is a list of all the postings Martyn K has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: K5682 - Martyn's Fury
29/06/2018 10:35:34

This is the aircraft that I am planning to build for the latest Scale Mass Build Master Class.

k5682.jpg

It will be powered by an ic engine, I have managed to acquire an almost new RCV90SP which should be a good fit and match without any protruding lumps

90sp.jpg

I haven't actually got my hands on it yet, but it may mean that firewalls will need a little tweaking. Nothing insurmountable - hopefully.

I have to admit that I am worried about cooling - I am not sure how I am going to address that - and I think the electric powered models may have the same problem. I think that will be one of the bigger logistic challenges.

Other challenges - silver paint can be challenging to get a nice even coat.. I will almost certainly use Klass Kote for paint - at least for the silver. Getting the correct shade of blue for the trim may be more difficult but it will be finished with Klass Kote clear anyway

Construction however, looks fairly straightforward except for the "new to me" challenge of lots of bent wire for struts and things like that. If you get the wheel axle a couple of mm short then no-one will notice, A twisted or asymetric cabane will cause big problems.. One of my projects on the go is a Free Flight Scale Bucker Jungmann which is just about ready to start the wire-work. It will be good to practice on.

My background. I have been building and flying model aircraft for almost 50 years but only comparatively recently been bitten by the scale bug. I am still building my Chippie (from the last Master Class) but that will hopefully be fully painted before we start this.

I will never be as good a builder as Danny and the other scale masters so will not be trying for a Class A scale model but what I do want is a good Stand Off Scale with lots of detail to satisfy those who want a closer look. It will have to look 'right' even though it may never satisfy a judge.

Hopefully, it will be under 5kg and will therefore qualify for the new BMFA Light Scale Class.

What I would love to see is a squadron of Furies at a show in perhaps a couple of years time. I think that would look awesome and be a great credit to our honourable leader and mentor, Mr Fenton.

More to come..

Martyn

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
29/06/2018 09:42:20

Yes, so do I...

However, I think I am going with K5682.

k5682.jpg

Martyn

Thread: fav model of all time
29/06/2018 09:30:24

My favourite model was a Free Flight A/2 glider (now known as F1A class) designed by Mike Reeves in 1969 or 1970.I built my first one when I was at School (we had an aeromodelling class) and I eventually built 13 of them (or close derivatives) over about a period of about 15 years. I still have one left in the loft that I built in 1984 and last flew competitively in 1995

That is me on the left (aged 17) with the 4th one I built..

am-jan74.jpg

It was very distinctive because of its ultra short nose which gave incredible stall revovery.

humplehound.jpg

I became very good friends with Mike in the early 70's. He took me to my first contests and was very supportive

Sadly, he was killed in a full sized glider accident in the early 80's.

Martyn

Thread: Martyn's Dalotel
29/06/2018 09:19:15

Thanks Peter.

Looking at the 3V, it appears that wing was fully sheeted with only the elevators, aileron and rudder having exposed ribs.

dalotel-3v.jpg

The close up of the rudder above (at the top of the page) doesn't seem show any tapes. . TBH, I am inclined to leave them off although I am very surprised I can't see any. Its never going to be a contest model but I do want it to look 'right' for things like scale fly-ins. It feels much heavier than 1.6kg so I was quite surprised and pleased when I saw the weight on the scales last night.

Stuart. I am trying Acrylics (using a spray gun and compressor) for the first time on the 1/4 scale Foka. I am actually finding it far more difficult than using rattle cans because the paint takes much longer to dry. It does dry very smoothly though and the coverage and density is very good. I am using Valspar acrylic paint from B&Q. (They can colour match for you). I did originally try thinning it but it was far too runny but leave run stains rather than lumpy runs (if that makes sense).

This mornings job was to make and add the trim tabs using litho plate. Epoxied and in this heat it will be dry by lunchtime. The non functional spoilers will go on after painting. They were light grey as well

Martyn

29/06/2018 08:01:19

Its that time of year where maintenance has to take precedence over building. I have still got 3 models on the go but the Dalotel will definitely get finished first.

I eventually got to the state where I was happy with the cowl and its had a coat of white.

dsc_0511.jpg

Its the wrong shade of white but that will get fixed later. The step between the cowl and the fus is also a little large but there is nothing I can do about it now..

dsc_0512.jpg

I have also started detailing the cockpit areas, Its a shame the floor is so shallow, but again, nothing I can do about that either.

dsc_0513.jpg

Fuselage getting covered. It was at this point I realised I had ordered the wrong shade of Yellow Solartex. This is too light and even worse, its translucent so will need to be painted. Something I was hoping to avoid.

dsc_0514.jpg

There is a single 3mm wide stringer that runs down the length of the fus. It makes covering the fus quite tricky

dsc_0515.jpg

Basically, taking my time, I just got on with the covering. You can see the cowl is the wrong shade of white here. Not a problem, as the white solartex will have to be painted anyway.

dsc_0516.jpg

and

dsc_0517.jpg

The translucency is easily visible here.

A quick coat with rattle can yellow on the under surface of the tailplane does help though.

dsc_0518.jpg

So the next job is to get it masked up and painted..

Weight so far with radio gear and retracts but no engine is 1.6kg

More to come

Martyn

28/06/2018 22:24:54
I hadn't realised you were building one Stuart. Apologies
Thread: RCM&E The Inside Story
28/06/2018 22:16:53
Thats a pretty good home for it Graham.
28/06/2018 22:15:20
Although its quite a small model, its actually just less than 1/6 scale Stuart. They would definitely be visible. I am fairly sure they aren't used though but only coz i can't see them on any photo.
Thread: RCM&E The Inside Story
28/06/2018 21:53:27
Did you find a victim/volunteer to build the Camel Graham?

Edited By Martyn K on 28/06/2018 21:53:46

28/06/2018 21:39:53
. I'll update the blog tomorrow when i have access to a proper keyboard. In the meantime, would anyone know if the Dalotel used rib tapes over the open structure? I can't see any in any of the photos but they are a bit on the old and grainy side.

Thanks

Martyn
Thread: 7 meter ash 31 build
27/06/2018 16:57:35

Wow. What hot wire cutter do you use Roo?

Martyn

26/06/2018 15:24:00

We now have a new Sub Forum. Thanks to Beth Ashby

Hawker Fury Mk1 - RAF's Finest Biplane!

Hope the Sub-forum title doesn't upset the pedants too much..

This post has also been moved into the new sub-forum in Workshop..

You now post here with your plans for your chosen model/variant and when ready create your build blogs.

It would be nice to see a post from each builder stating which particular aircraft they are planning to build

Not long to go now folks..

Martyn and Danny

Thread: Flying only scale competition
26/06/2018 10:19:30

Geoff

Next year there will be a new 'Light Scale' class being run by the BMFA Scale Committee with a max AUW of 5kg. This is something I have campaigned for (that sounds a little grand, it was actually a couple of emails). Flown to Stand off Scale rules but with a weight limit.

If you are interested, contact Andy Sephton (he lurks around here - you can PM him)

Martyn

Thread: Need a support similar to ARTF models
22/06/2018 12:14:20

Erf

Try Proskin from Mick Reeves Models Bottom of the page

Good luck

Martyn

Thread: Tony's Concorde
21/06/2018 15:52:55

CSB may want to build one of these

Martyn

21/06/2018 13:32:41
Posted by Tony Bennett on 21/06/2018 12:29:30:

oh there have been a few of those "moments"

the bin is just outside the door.

Tony B

What happened and what is left?

Martyn

Thread: Steel rule hard to read
21/06/2018 13:30:29
Posted by cymaz on 17/06/2018 09:24:33:

Gary.....go and treat yourself

I just did - order a 150mm and 300mm - great link - thanks

Martyn

Thread: Flea Fli RCME July issue free plan
18/06/2018 10:22:37
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 17/06/2018 21:02:03:

That`s the ground down version of the original mount to make it fit. As you see, it has been recycled a few times.

Doing this in the original orange/black scheme. The HK `jacinth` has arrived and is orange to the rest of us.

The canopy will be a problem getting hold of. Ideas anyone? I can get a Taurus one but at 18 quid no thanks.

Hi Martin

My Canopy came from Vortex Vacforms. For a few pounds, it saves a lot of messing around. I think it was CN44

Martyn

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
18/06/2018 10:14:53

Very positive news

BMFA News

Martyn

11/06/2018 10:06:31

Still thinking about it. Very tempted with the RCV90SP but electric is a possibility.

The two big problems we need to resolve are:

• Battery access - I cant see an easy way of doing this without dismantling
  • Cooling - electric and an enclosed IC engine will have the same issues.

If someone had a spare RCV90SP they wanted to part with at a reasonable price then I could be very tempted..

Martyn

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us