By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martyn K

Here is a list of all the postings Martyn K has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
01/10/2018 21:30:39

I still haven't unrolled my plan. Still too much on the building board and maintenance tasks this week. Will make a start in a few days. I just wish I could build as neat as that though.

What are the rudder hinges Danny?

Martyn

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
28/09/2018 10:03:29
So have mine.
Many thanks Ernie. They are wonderful
Thread: Battle of Britain: Model Squadron
25/09/2018 15:00:20

The response I got back from Channel 4

Dear Martyn,

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding Battle of Britain: Model Squadron.

We are delighted to read that you have been enjoying Battle of Britain: Model Squadron. We appreciate your comments in regards to the programme being interesting and a good way of bringing history to life through models. Please be assured your kind feedback has been logged and noted for the attention of those responsible for our programming as well as the production team.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4, we hope you continue to enjoy our programming.

Kind Regards,

Siobhan Dickson

Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

Thread: Chris's Vicomte 1916
25/09/2018 13:56:56

Very nice indeed Chris. Lovely workmanship

25/09/2018 09:42:05

Change of subject. Are we really STILL making a start next Monday - 1st October? Or was it the 31st October?

Martyn

25/09/2018 09:40:57

Hi Stuart

I would like to take you up on your offer as well. Can you pm or email me at m@czd.org.uk and I'll sort out how to pay you

Thanks

Martyn

Thread: PIlot Akro
20/09/2018 10:54:12

Moving on with this a bit more. I thought that I would do a comparison between the Plan and N10LL (Laser 200) and also the plan and G-CDDP (Laser 230) which was my preferred prototype. Changes have a black line appended

plan v laser200.jpg

That's not a bad match. Minor discrepancies around the cowl profile and the fin and this prototype has a much sleeker canopy..

However..

plan  v laser230.jpg

This is miles out The Fus is deeper, thrust-line is different and fin is different. Too many changes to cater for so unless a Laser 230 3v is forthcoming, it looks like I will be stuck with the Laser 200

Martyn

19/09/2018 10:26:48

Thanks Jim

That looks very nice.

I have found in my archive a Laser 200 plan (1.8m span) that looks to be accurate enough for starters and I also have a Laser 200 3V as well. I would have preferred the Laser 230 but without an accurate 3v I don't want to proceed with that

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

laser 200 3v.jpg

Two more drawings to be printed.. oh hum

Martyn

18/09/2018 15:32:45

Thanks Nigel

It would certainly fit with IMAC 10% rules but I would want it more accurate than that. Of the two variants, the 230 is more appealing mainly because its a UK registered aircraft and may be accessible. Just needs the tail moment shortening.

If I go ahead with this it will have an OS120FS Surpass III with pump - a heavy lump and the nose on the 230 is shorter so shouldn't end up too nose heavy. I think it would make an excellent project with enough design tweaks to make it my own.

I think I'll get the plan printed and take a closer look

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 18/09/2018 15:38:07

18/09/2018 13:57:27

Thanks John

I have done a bit of photoshopping

akro v laser200.jpg

This is a comparison against the Laser 200 as you suggested

akro v laser230 compare.jpg

and this is against the Laser 230.

I have tried to centre on the (approx) wing and cockpit positions. What is clear is that the cockpit on the Pilot plan is far too big but that is easily corrected and the nose against the Laser 200 is too long

However, I think this is doable

Shame the Club 20 scale was dropped. Do you know why?

Martyn

18/09/2018 11:40:30

Thanks John

I suspect you may be right.

However, I looked at the laser 200 but it didn't quite look right - mainly around the canopy which then affects the shape of the upper decking..

I'll keep digging. May need to find some 3views and overlay

18/09/2018 11:12:30

Hi

On my wish list is the Pilot Akro 1204M. I am really struggling to find out just which prototype this plan was based upon. The nearest I can find (looking at the cockpit outline) is a one off DALLACH DIABLO 2 (D-EMOO) which was a modified Stephens Akro which then spawned the Laser 200 and Laser 230.

However, the cockpit outline is wrong for all of these (except the Diablo)..

D-EMOO

The plan claims that it is semi scale, which according to Lord Boddington means not-scale (his words not mine). It would be nice if I can find out just which outline was used for this plan so I could modify it accordingly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 18/09/2018 11:19:25

Thread: UKCAA @ Huddersfield MAC - 30th September (Revised)
15/09/2018 10:33:56

Please note that due to a lousy weather forecast, this event has been postponed until the 30th September

Thread: Martyn's Dalotel
15/09/2018 10:17:02

Thanks John.

Marvyn - a dopplelganger? - nah - he is far too good looking to resemble me.

14/09/2018 20:57:48
Thanks Martin. The wooden prop in the photos is an 11x7. A 12x6 would probably be better. I did get a bit carried away with it. This is the first 'proper' scale model I have ever completed, the Chippie is now back on the bench so hopefully get some progress on that before the Fury build starts. I am also drawing up a 60 sized Mystic clone for next years UKCAA events. I'll publish details later
14/09/2018 10:51:22

Back from my holidays and cracking along to get this finished

All the control surfaces have now been fastened in and pushrods fitted. Trying to keep away from things like visible clevises which although convenient tend to detract on a demi scale model.

The cockpit has been completed and things like joystick, seat belts etc have been added. brackets etc from lith and quick release from washers and pins.

The pilot was a challenge. I eventually carved my own head (not literally) and produced Marvyn. Any resemblance to a person living or dead is entirely coincidental. Of course, he is a ginge, is there any other colour?

pilot2.jpg

Body is polystyrene with foam legs and arms. I didn't bother with hands, that was a challenge too far.

cockpit4.jpg

Clearly a body builder but proportions look about right

I compromised on the exhaust after prevaricating for a few days. I bought the 90 degree elbow from just engines and fitted the standard exhaust.

exhaust1.jpg

A bit grubby underneath but it wiped clean. The exhaust isn't too obvious when sat on its wheels.

Final jobs included fitting the curved section of the cockpit canopy and adding a lith frame and rivets

and then suddenly,

it was finished.

finished1.jpg

and

finished2.jpg

and

finished3.jpg

and (airbrakes are dummies, cut from lith, painted and epoxied to the wing surface)

finished4.jpg

and

finished5.jpg

Actually, there are still a couple of minor jobs. There needs to be a black seal that fits around the wing root and a little bit of clean up still required.

The CG is just slightly on the safe side but I think I will need to move it back after the maiden, which is unlikely to happen this weekend

Not much more to come..

Martyn

12/09/2018 22:44:18
Thats great Andy

Thanks
Thread: Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"
07/09/2018 21:38:33
Get a digital subscription Chris.
Thread: Wire bender
06/09/2018 09:06:44

Just saw this on Facebook. I hope its visible..

Link to Facebook

Martyn

Thread: D B Ghost Rider 77"
05/09/2018 09:38:04

Doh, I must read things more carefully. Thanks

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Overlander
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us