By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martyn K

Here is a list of all the postings Martyn K has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Own Design 2m F3A Model
09/02/2018 10:07:37

It does look absolutely great. Also nice to see a bit of UK home grown creativity in the world of F3A. I assume that this will be electric powered.

Martyn

Thread: Fokker EIII Scratch build
09/02/2018 09:51:35

A bit of progress.

I have added the undercarriage fairings for the front. Just what Anthony Fokker's thinking behind this contraption is not clear.

front-uc.jpg

Quadpod rear skid support and lower rudder pivot added.

rear-uc.jpg

The prototype I am modelling is this. EIII 345/16 - a museum replica in Australia based on a genuine aircraft that flew at Gallipoli in 1916. Its a very accurate replica in that it has wing warping and a rotary engine (in this case a Gnome). Most modern replicas have ailerons and radial engines

345-16.jpg

It also has a simple colour scheme which is replicated here, although not the same aircraft (sadly)

colour3v.jpg

Interestingly the cross on the fin appears to be incorrect when compared to the factory drawing which showed a slightly larger cross clipped at the front and base on the rudder

So this is where I am up to.

nc2.jpg

and

nc1.jpg

and

nc3.jpg

and

nc4.jpg

and

nc5.jpg

the foam LiPo box was glued in this morning. The prop runs CW so will hopefully assist in the predominantly right hand circuits. Still got the rigging to do plus the serial numbers on the Fus, cockpit, gun etc

Had a few problems with the paint, mainly with the mask lifting the paint - especially down one side on of one of the wing crosses. I have resprayed it but its still quite obvious.

The rudder cross had to be hand painted - I couldn't get the airbrush anywhere near without risking spraying the tan colour. It looks a bit patchy but not too bad.

Lets just hope it flies. Maiden a week on Sunday - finished or not

Martyn

Thread: Own Design 2m F3A Model
08/02/2018 23:11:41
Hi Dan
Welcome to the forum.

That looks great. Are you going to plank the fuselage?

Martyn
Thread: Weston Capiche 50cc Build
08/02/2018 16:58:32

I love these big builds. Following.

I can imagine that if I cam home with one of these, i would be placed inside said box with the contents inserted where the sun don't shine..

Thread: WOT4 Becomes Racing Car
08/02/2018 16:38:44

I have no idea either. I cant reproduce it with the original setup. I wonder if I had restarted the Tx (power off/on) that may have cleared the problem as that was the only thing that changed by the time I got home and tested it.

Concious that we are hogging BEBs thread here. Sorry BEB

08/02/2018 15:46:03
Posted by Andy48 on 08/02/2018 14:45:16:

You can go back and look at your previous copies of the model files, use the simulator to see exactly what happened.

You do use the Companion to do regular backups of your model files every time you change everything.....

Thanks Andy

Yes - I have done that and also checked it using Companion. There was definitely no obvious programmed mix between Throttle > Elevator - but there was one - or something very similar in flight. It could have been a receiver fault but I wouldn't have thought that would have been the case. There definitely wasn't a mix between Elevator > Throttle or I would have noted the change in engine note when it was on the ground.

Yes - everything backed up regularly as well - and version controlled

Edited By Martyn K on 08/02/2018 15:46:51

08/02/2018 12:08:46

The connections were all OK. The servo tray epoxied to the g/f fus side had become dislodged but everything was still plugged in. I originally thought it may some form of cross coupling with the servo cables but it seems OK when I tested it at home.

08/02/2018 11:45:30

I had an interesting and exact opposite problem with my Taranis BEB.

The model (a Meteor 40) has been very reliable and I have had many flights with it.

Just before I last flew it, I spotted that I had a duplicate (different) model in my Tx list. To be safe I deleted it. I then prepped the Meteor and did the usual pre-flight checks and all appeared OK.

Started up, full throttle check, waggled the stick and everything moved in the right direction.

Started the take off run and the model leapt into the sky - way over elevated. This was confirmed by the next couple of minutes of flying. Rather concerned that something had moved, I then killed the throttle using the programmed throttle kill switch - and the model went into a no elevator dive and got badly damaged on the arrival.

It appears that somehow I had managed to get a mix of throttle and elevator. It appears that hitting the throttle kill switch had put an override in on throttle and also elevator. Unfortunately, the model was too badly damaged to prove this theory at the time and I haven't been able to replicate it since. However, I have since wiped the transmitter and copied all the model back into memory and it seems ok again.

The only thing I can think of is that deleting that model from memory caused some form of corruption.

Martyn

Thread: Solarfilm
08/02/2018 10:00:36

I bought the last 10m of Natural from HK when the closure was announced a couple of days ago.

Parcelforce appear to have lost it

Thread: Bargain Boddington books!
08/02/2018 09:22:08
Posted by PatMc on 01/02/2018 15:54:22:

If anyone's interested Scale Model Airplanes by Boddington for around £2.50 + postage from Amazon. Dunno how it compares with his other scale model book.

I bought a copy for a couple of quid - it arrived yesterday but I haven't had chance to read it yet but it looks OK and seems typical content of the series

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
06/02/2018 17:19:00

Hi all

You may have noticed that Solarfilm have just about ceased trading for all their Solar* products. May be worthwhile grabbing some SolarTex while its still available.

Martyn

Thread: Lidl Sander
06/02/2018 15:51:29
Posted by Eamonn Fahey on 02/02/2018 16:41:57:
Posted by Martyn K on 02/02/2018 15:04:56:

Do you know what diameter Sanding disk is used?

Martyn, the sander was available in Ireland from yesterday. The diameter of the disc is 125mm. There are 6 discs included - 2 X 80; 2 X 150 & 2 X 240 grit. They did not have any spare discs available but according to the instructions, they are available to order (no price).

Eamonn.

Thanks.. That is a decent size..

Thread: Solarfilm
06/02/2018 15:22:13

If that is the case then that is very sad. Do you know if that is that just Solarfilm or does that include SolarTex as well?

Thread: Lidl Sander
02/02/2018 15:04:56

Do you know what diameter Sanding disk is used?

I have just made my own this week..

Strange world...bench sander.jpg

Made from an almost 50 yo B&D Mechanical 2 speed drill and bench stand. Not difficult to make but a tilting table would have been very nice

Thread: Paint masking Advice
01/02/2018 16:07:00

I have been told that Tamiya tape is the dogs whatsits for masking. Haven's tried it yet though

Thread: Fokker EIII Scratch build
01/02/2018 13:47:22

By the way, here is Otto the pilot.. Looks remarkably like an

Ein Engländer

kulou (turncoat)

A Dave Banks pilot

otto.jpg

01/02/2018 13:43:18

Thanks Chris

Hope you are now fully recovered.

I can see the end now.. The photos don't seem to show just how big this beast actually is. Its just slightly less than 1/12 scale but the prototype was quite large being a monoplane

01/02/2018 11:35:51

An update. Sorry its all a bit slow..

wheels.jpg

Wheels done. Spin and sand blanks on the pillar drill to get the basic shape and the shallow cones from paper. The original used solid tyres and the cones are much shallower than those used on British WW1 aircraft.

The model is at the stage where I need to start adding some flying surfaces.

The rear rudder/tailplane hinge assembly looks like this.

hinges.jpg

Note the tailplane has been covered which subsequently warped badly when the strip ribs buckled. Hey ho.. So that was stripped and the faulty ribs replaced with solid ribs from very soft 2.5mm balsa then recovered. All while still attached to the fuselage

The lower end of the carbon fin post will be located - like the full size - in a pivot point on the tailskid quadpod but that will come after the model has been covered and painted.

linkages1.jpg

Fin covered - in situ and the rear linkages done. I couldn't cover the tailplane until after the tailplane had been mounted as the rudder pivot sits within the closed fin loop.

Carbon rods terminating in thin piano wire links into 1/32 ply horns. Nothing is adjustable..

linkages2.jpg

Linkages at the front. All seems to work remarkably well.

With all that done, I added the hooks for the wing rigging wires. Simple piano wire epoxied to the ribs

rigging hooks.jpg

Covered the wings. Esaki Jap tissue using thinned down PVA as adhesive. This was actually take 2. I used a Pritt stick first time and the tissue pulled aways from the undersurface..

wing3.jpg

Fuselage is now covered with Silver Esaki representing the metalwork area.

covered1.jpg

This has subsequently been watershrunk and 1 coat thinned dope applied

Time to see what it looks like fully dressed

dressed1.jpg

and

dressed2.jpg

and

dressed3.jpg

Maiden at the next Shawbury indoor in just over 2 weeks time

It's ready for war paint I think..

More to come

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 01/02/2018 11:38:14

Thread: Swift 82
30/01/2018 09:09:07

Very nice CSB.. That looks great.

Thread: Bargain Boddington books!
29/01/2018 15:07:16

Mine arrived 2 weeks ago. I think I already have a copy somewhere.

Martyn

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues