By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Marsh

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Marsh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lion Air Crash
18/11/2018 14:26:23

Sounds like a repeat of Quantas Flight 72, luckily, the aircraft managed to land ok, similar problem. incorrect information going into the flight computer.

Problem there is millions of lines of code, and many conditions where they get tested before the aircraft enters service, but a section of code can cause loss of an aircraft and lives to something so small.

Thread: No space left for new models?
15/11/2018 19:49:43

Imagine having 500 plus models all flyable...cool

14/11/2018 19:20:16

Tell me about it, need more space...smiley

Thread: Saito FA40a domed nut
13/11/2018 19:12:22

Maybe on your Laser engines( i have 5 of them, one a V-twin), using a wooden prop isn't a problem. I've got over a thousand engines, and found that wooden props don't work well. On petrol, yes, fine, most two stroke, ok, maybe not totally suited, but am only saying what works for me.

Also, using a heavier wooden prop would help, but most I;ve ever got were very light. As for running rich, as you know, running a 4 stroke lean from new isn't the best idea...

12/11/2018 19:29:39

I would recommend to anyone using a four stroke, not to use wooden props for the reasons stated. The only times I tried doing so, each time, I had the prop smash itself to pieces when the throttle was advanced, even though set slightly rich, a nasty pinking sound just before the prop self-destructed, sending shards of wood everywhere.

So my advice: No wooden props, ever!smiley

Thread: Which Set Should I buy
09/11/2018 18:59:20

I don't count JR, as they are "past" product and I don't think it would be a good idea for a newbie to buy an obsolete protocol - when the receivers dry up on sale. Also, JR were too expensive, as you said, £75 for a 6ch rx. No wonder JR folded...

09/11/2018 18:43:29

In the end, I see what receivers cost, so for comparison, i've looked at a list of different 6/7 channel receivers, most would buy. Would you buy a radio brand with the most expensive receivers? Saying that all the below makes are fit for purpose and all will work with most size of model.

Spektrum AR610 : £39 rrp
Jeti REX6A £105 (only one they make in 6ch)
Futaba 2006GS £34
Futaba 617FASST £70
Multiplex
Rx-7 M-LINK £65
FRsky 6ch telematary SBUS £22
Graupner £52
Tactic 6ch £25
Hitec Optima 6 £33

Thread: SC46 6 months in soil
05/11/2018 19:57:58

Did the engine grow a bit?smiley

Thread: Spektrum DX6 Gen 2 or 3 wanted
05/11/2018 19:50:09

I bought and have got 2 DX6 , i don't know which ones I've got, but they both do DSM2. The first DX6 I got as soon as it got out, but when the later versions went to DSM X only, some Bind and fly models are on DSM2 and if for example the first transmitter needed repairing, it would come back repaired as DSMX, making the models that are on DSM2 useless. So having another transmitter, as backup seemed a good idea...

Thread: my models and what are they
04/11/2018 18:08:54

Shall I post pics of all of my models...? devil

I don't think the server could take the strain...!

Thread: Which Set Should I buy
04/11/2018 18:03:07

No harm in asking for advice, and once the advice has been given, you can either follow it , or not, or form a basis of an conclusion, or ask more advice.

We can't all like everyone, I don't like some people, or think others are a waste of time, but unless they get on my nerves, won't say anything. Some telling a random person that they are "sad" , etc is being nasty.

So my advice, take it or leave it is.

Hitec Aurora 9 - great easy to use set, although going obsolete due to the fact Hitec are not producing radios anymore, and how long before their receivers stop being manufactured?

Spektrum - DX9, another set I use, good range of receivers and continuous development on the DSM protocol

Frysky Although don't own a set, all the people I know rave about them and not heard anything negative, apart from rock-solid reliability and very competivelty priced receivers (example a 8ch , gyro stabilized telemetry for £32!)

Futaba. nothing bad to say, one of the last original radio manufactures still going, with a good range of receivers and servos. Not cheap, but does its job.

JR. Doesn't exist anymore, so no product support, so avoid even buying a second-hand set, as receivers are very rare and expensive now,

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
28/10/2018 14:55:26

Bought this for £25 inc Lemon 6ch +sat rx, and two props spare.
It's the G2 version with auto head spin up.
autogyro (3).jpg
Thread: VQ ARTFs at Hobbyking?
27/10/2018 12:34:35

Ive got the SBD Dauntless, which flies very well and P-61 Black Widow. Also have the P-39 Airacobra which needs to fly next.

Only problem is the covering is brittle - hence cheap, although looks great when new, but gets damaged easily, but there are sheets of spare covering to repair small holes.

p-39airacobravq (5).jpg

sbd dauntless (6).jpg

Thread: Crash investigation - taken ages to find the cause
24/10/2018 18:00:21

The best were these, sold by SM Services, but they are now gone.

However, think RS sell them.

Thread: Unable to Contact Carbon Copy
22/10/2018 18:45:51

A member at our club said last week, he tried to get a part ordered off them and eventually after weeks of trying got through on a Sat morning and the person said it had got sent out weeks ago, but will send another one.

He received the "second" one. Makes you wonder if he ever sent the first one.

In today's business environment, saying that got too much work, the cat is sick and the car broke down just doesn't cut it. The customer doesn't give a heck what happens behind the business doors, as long as they get their bits.

Can you see a proper company making excuses like that? no.

Carbon Copy (and other retailers that there has received negative feedback for) need to buck up their ideas, or they will run out of customers...and business.

I thought it would be more like this...

Employee Value

Shareholder value

Customer Value

Thread: PMAC Deanwater Swap Meet
16/10/2018 20:18:10

One day left to go....

14/10/2018 18:53:13

The date is Wednesday October 17th.

Thread: Amazon delivery charges
14/10/2018 16:22:07

If you order several things from Amazon in a year, you might consider "prime" as its free delivery, though weather is it worth it to pay £75 or so it depends (or £7.99 per month)

Thread: How old are yours?
14/10/2018 15:03:40

Two of my original 3 models are still in existence. A Dynaflite Spitfire and my original Mascot. The Spit was the 3rd model I'd built and the models I had/have and flown in the early days of my rc model flying were:

MFA Yamamoto
Chart Mascot
Alley Cat (Radio Modeler free plan) .
Dynaflite Spifire. (built 1994)

Steep learning curve, the Alley Cat was fuel soaked and eventually I crashed it on a last flight as it was a wreck, so did a roll at 2 feet. The Spit still in my collection with a Enya 60.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 14/10/2018 15:04:07

14/10/2018 12:27:01

I have a few models, some going over 20 years - and having many flights behind them.

The most flown and best condition-for-age would be my Seagull PC-9 Tuccano - bought in the 90's, which is still made today, and spares still available!

Edited By Paul Marsh on 14/10/2018 12:27:31

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Overlander
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us