By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Smith 1

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Smith 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A little Easter giveaway.....
21/04/2011 22:44:32
Go on then, I could do with some cheering up
Thread: Receiver position
20/04/2011 21:14:19
Many thanks for this gentlemen. Just one more newby question. With the receiver in the rearward position the only problem I will have is with the ESC connection to the receiver. My question is will a standard servo extension lead do or will I need a special one beings as it's connected to the ESC? Cheers

Geoff

AKA Webbiteer No: 20
Thread: Webbiteer's Freebies
20/04/2011 19:15:05
Posted by Big Bandit on 20/04/2011 18:50:47:
Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 20/04/2011 13:16:17:That's where mine are going mate. They are good quality and, by luck 'cos I didn't ask, the right colour. Hey! BB cover what mistakes? Cheers my friends.
Geoff

Geoff, the covering that Richard did makes my effort look like a dogs dinner. Hows your build going.

Chris.

Slowly but surely my friend. Working on the fus now and trying to work out where everything is going. Going up in the black hole in a minute to cut out the servo tray. It's actually starting to look like a plane now, at long last. Cheers mate.

Geoff

Thread: Receiver position
20/04/2011 15:21:35
Hiya all. Typical me, half the story again. I'm on 2.4 and the receiver has a short single aerial lead. I'll put it back then as long as the servo leads can reach. The light weight of the receiver will not upset the CG much. Ha! Ha! Cheers my friends.

Geoff

20/04/2011 14:13:29
Hiya all. I've put this question on the CMB topic 'cos although it relates to the Webbit build it is a general electric flight query. As this is my first electric build I am in a quandary as to where to place the receiver. I understand from reading other posts that it could be critical with regards to signal reception being shielded by the battery. Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

20/04/2011 13:16:17
Posted by Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 20/04/2011 01:07:27:
Most people who have them think they are really good quality. I'm pleased they are liked! not only that but they do look sort of meant on a WebBit!

Thanks everyone

Steve

That's where mine are going mate. They are good quality and, by luck 'cos I didn't ask, the right colour. Hey! BB cover what mistakes? Cheers my friends.

Geoff

Thread: Geoff's Webbit
19/04/2011 18:12:49
Posted by Richard Harris on 18/04/2011 21:42:27:
Geoff,

I had to look twice when 'no more nails' was mentioned, never tried it.

Like Chris I do not get my CA from the model shop but get mine from Screw Fix, they do some 50 g bottles, its medium grade but works well. They also did sell activator cheaply but for some reason do not stock it any more.
I have only ever bought CA from there , they ask for your address each time and must keep a record of your purchases...I bet they think I have some kind of addiction
They have never asked maybe because it is a sticky subject....

Rich

Hiya Rich, thanks for this. I got my No-More Nails from Mr Block and Mr Quale and it was £4.99. Great stuff, can't praise it high enough. Cheers Mate.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 19/04/2011 18:13:14

19/04/2011 15:56:28

They have never asked maybe because it is a sticky subject..

Oh dear! back to bed Richard.

Geoff

AKA Webbiteer No :20
Thread: Household jobs get in the way of flying!
18/04/2011 23:00:57
I've been building my Webbit, sleeping in the garden Yawn! a bit more building and a bit more sleeping. Trouble is I'm wide awake now and 'er indoors is moaning 'cos she wants to go to bed and she won't go without me 'cos she says I wake her up when I come up. Never mind there's always tomorrow. Cheers

Geoff

Thread: Geoff's Webbit
17/04/2011 23:16:25
Hiya gentlemen, thanks for this. Oh yes, I am enjoying it now since I made the decision to try and think things out for myself instead of pestering this forum all the time. Ok I'm making mistakes and adding more weight putting them right (hence the more powerful motor) but it is most satisfying when you sort out a problem yourself. I will soldier on regardless never the less. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

AKA (A coming along gradually) Webbiteer No: 20
17/04/2011 19:17:39
Hiya all. I have just started on the fuselage. It may not seem a lot to you, but to me it's a milestone. I haven't taken any pictures yet 'cos I have not been satisfied with the quality of the build. It didn't help with me watching the others progress and seeing the quality of work that I could only dream about. Never mind IT WILL FLY! The wings are still straight which has amazed me considering my working conditions. With respect to that No-Nails wood glue I showed on here, it is cracking stuff and does what it says on the bottle. Nice and quick drying and it dries clear. Mind you it helps with me working in the attic, it's like a sauna up there in this weather. At least I should be a lot slimmer for Greenacres. BTW I have just ordered a different motor, 'cos when you take my build into consideration it's gonna be heavy. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 17/04/2011 19:18:40

Thread: Plummet's Webbit Ineptitude
16/04/2011 23:02:20
Posted by Plummet on 15/04/2011 19:03:07:
Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 15/04/2011 18:14:46:
Posted by Plummet on 15/04/2011 08:34:28:
Posted by Big Bandit on 14/04/2011 22:14:43:
Ayup Plummet,

Are you related to Guy Martin or Mavis Davis by any chance . Just been watching "the boat that Guy Built". LOL.

Chris.

in the back yard.

Plummet

I do like a man who makes twenty words replace one. Well done Plummet

Geoff,

Is that better Plummet?

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 16/04/2011 23:02:49

16/04/2011 22:44:23
E-mail sent as well. Cheers all

Geoff

AKA Webiteer No: 20
Thread: Once there was a Webbit.......
16/04/2011 22:41:50
Posted by Big Bandit on 16/04/2011 22:31:35:
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about the Webbitt problem, and hope it's repairable. I know it's no consolation, but the upside is, It points the less experienced of us in the right direction.

Cheers,

Chris.

Bad luck Chris, you will overcome. BTW what motor are you using, is it the 2220/07?

What are you on about BB? It scares the bejabbers out of me. Cheers lads

Geoff

Thread: Plummet's Webbit Ineptitude
15/04/2011 18:14:46
Posted by Plummet on 15/04/2011 08:34:28:
Posted by Big Bandit on 14/04/2011 22:14:43:
Ayup Plummet,

Are you related to Guy Martin or Mavis Davis by any chance . Just been watching "the boat that Guy Built". LOL.

Chris.

To the best of my knowledge I have in no way contributed to the parentage of Guy and/or Mavis. If they have contributed to mine, then time travel must have been perfected.

Actually thinking about that, it would not have to have been perfected, but might be perfected in the future, and then one or other of them taken into the early post-war years to do the deed. I cannot remember having an 'Uncle' Guy. I do have an Auntie Mavis, but she is still alive. But she is female, and looks like neither of them. I don't think she would want to be seen alive or dead on a narrowboat.

So now we start considering a more remote, less direct relationship. I can confidently say that, yes, we are related. After all, they tell us that either:-
1. We are all the descendants of one woman somewhere in the African rift valley several hundred thousand years ago.
Or:-
2. We are all the descendants of shipbuilder extraordinary, Noah. Personally I have serious doubts about this option, although the building of boats, including narrow ones may be hereditary. I wonder if gopher wood is related to balsa wood. If I suddenly start using millicubits instead of millimetres then I might reconsider.

Now, in order to answer your question as fully and correctly as possible I have been doing a bit more research, and I discover that Guy and Mave were childhood 'pals', and as Guy is a Lincolnshire lad, I assume that Mave is also. I am not aware of any family connections with Lincolnshire, but that has set me thinking.

I know that my Father, and my Mother's brother were in the RAF in WW2, and that they were trained as bomb-aimer/navigators. There were a lot of bomber airfields in Lincolnshire, so on the face of it it, could be possible that a little illicit parenthood could have occurred there. However I cannot remember hearing that either of them had been based there. Unfortunately, neither are now available for consultation except via a seance - and again I am sceptical about their reliability.

So, Big Bandit/Chris. To directly address your important question, I don't think so.

I know that this is a bit off-topic, but the Webbit fuselage sides are holding together well now. As to the other DIY, We now have some extra firewood, and a frame for decking is taking shape in the back yard.

Plummet

I do like a man who makes twenty words replace one. Well done Plummet

Thread: Danny's BoBbit Build
15/04/2011 11:15:47
Posted by Chris Bott on 15/04/2011 11:09:29:
Geoff the whole idea of the mass build was one of learning. I think just about every one of us has been and still is learning from others from this. This webcam is another great example.

Thanks for this Chris. Yes mate I understand that but I didn't pre think the build and now find myself trying to fit the aileron servo to very fragile wing ribs, not good with shaky hands. lol At least the wing is still straight. Cheers mate.

Geoff

15/04/2011 11:11:32
Hey Danny. I take it you were using cyano on the ribs to spars but what is that thin nozzle on the bottle? When I used it it went everywhere and I got in a right state. Does this extension prevent that happening? Cheers mate.

Geoff

15/04/2011 11:05:26
Posted by Dorset flyer on 15/04/2011 02:30:08:
Love the web cam idea!

So do I but he more I watch the more depressed I get. When I watch Danny I can see the mistakes I made. Excellent build and to watch it happening is great. Hey Danny err jeans shirt and TIE? Cheers

Geoff

AKA The very sad builder of Webbit No: 20 (The Flintstone model)
Thread: Webbit example build - Wings
12/04/2011 13:39:13
Posted by David Gilder on 12/04/2011 12:55:37:
Geoff,

My Torque Rods ae 2.5mm thick and I could have easily used 2 pairs of pliers to bend them! I just find a vice easier as I can get the bend in exactly the same place on each rod!! I have used pliers in the past and not really had any issue doing it that way!!

Hope it helps!

Dave

Thanks for this David. Ok mate I'll give it a go with 2.5mm and see how I get on. Cheers mate

Geoff

12/04/2011 12:51:35
Posted by David Gilder on 11/04/2011 16:17:25:
A Good Point that I omitted there!!!

Ian... I actually dont know a better way but if anyone else does then I too would be interested for future reference!!

For mine I did just the same as you Ian.. Carfully bent them in a vice bit by bit ensuring I get the as close to the right angle as possible... I then "twised them" a little to get the correct allignment! (only by a degree or 2! They can take that!)

Dave

Hiya Dave. Not having the luxury of a vice (no not that sort of vice) I will have extreme difficulty in bending the torque rods. What minimum thickness would you suggest that I could get away with bending with pliers only? Cheers mate

Geoff

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!