By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Smith 1

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Smith 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: it all whent wrong today
09/01/2011 21:30:17
Hiya my friends, you are most probably right in your posts, I put it down to 19 years off the sticks. It seemed to me that when the nose dropped, I had the power still full on, that the wind got on top of the wing and 'cos I had the rates on I couldn't get enough elevator to counter act it. Anyway lessons learnt. He's to the next time. Cheers
Geoff. 
09/01/2011 20:34:53
Hiya David, You weren't stood behind me were you? I had exactly the same thing happen but I think I know what went wrong. I took off with the dual rates on and all went very well until I got above tree height. Bit blustery up there and as I pulled round for an upwind leg the nose dropped and I seemed to lose all control, perhaps having the rates on restricted the control movement I needed. Still never mind it is repairable so we will try again when the wind is not so strong. Cheers
Geoff 
Thread: Flying tomorrow?
08/01/2011 22:41:06
Hiya Flytilbroke, had a few of them in my time, must concentrate on keeping it S & L. Cheers
Geoff 
08/01/2011 21:40:56
Thanks Wingman, Slow and 2 mistakes high I think until I get my twiddle fingers back again.
Geoff 
08/01/2011 20:43:25
Hiya all, many thanks for this information. I have flown before but the last time was in 1992. I hope I haven't lost it. I am very new to this new technology, I knew nothing about the 2.4ghz system until this week. Quick story, rushed into hospital just before Christmas and just made it. I have had to give up smoking after 61 years and as an incentive I am spending what I would have on tobacco on this great sport. Hence the reason all this is so new. My son will be with me to assist so I'll be alright. Cheers
Geoff  
08/01/2011 20:03:13
Hiya Wingman, typical me, half of necessary information again. It's a 2.4g system and it's the radio (cheap) supplied with the Art Tech Cessna 500 class RTF. There is no actual makers name on it. Cheers
Geoff 
08/01/2011 19:29:28
Hiya all. Now I'm not going to say this too loud but it looks like the weather  will not be too bad tomorrow. If I get the chance I will maiden the Cessna but prior to that of course I will need to range check my radio. Can you give me some pointers how to do this properly as it is not covered in the manual. Cheers my friends
Geoff 
Thread: Balance Charger for all Batteries?
05/01/2011 14:23:10
Many thanks for this Frank. I am getting the hang of this lark slowly but surely. I have never been electrically minded and I have always been wary of it but getting great info off of this great  forum and reading as much as I can it seems to be gelling. Cheers my friend.
Geoff 
05/01/2011 08:51:33
I knew there was something else. I have playing (ground flying around my living room) and have partially used up the battery. Is it safe to top up the battery without having to discharge it? Cheers
Geoff 
Thread: Dual Rates
05/01/2011 08:37:02
Thanks BB. I suppose I ought to happy to still be here to dream about the maiden flight. 3 weeks ago I was 'Knocking on Heavens Door' but the good people at the Bath Royal United dragged me back.  Cheerful old sod ain't I.  Do you know BB, when I was at work the flaming weather always changed on my days off, do you think it could be a conspiracy?
Cheers my friend 
Geoff 
Thread: Balance Charger for all Batteries?
05/01/2011 08:29:25
Hiya Wolfie, thanks for this. I should have said that I am a total novice at this lark and have no special equipment to hand, at the moment. The charger I have is the Art Tech V2 balance charger with a switchable charge rate of  1.0A to 0.3A. Cheers
Geoff 
05/01/2011 07:37:26
Hiya all. The Li-Poly battery in my Cessna came with it's own balance charger. The battery supplied is a 2400mAH x11.1v. If I buy alternative batteries for this plane, as has been suggested, will I still be able to use the charger even if the mAH is not the same?
How many cells should the battery above have? The reason I ask is that I just noticed a small hand written label on the back with 'Voltage reading each cell' It only gives 2 readings 3.94 & 3.94. Cheers
Geoff 
Thread: Dual Rates
05/01/2011 07:17:55
Many thanks for this BB. That's another one of the mysteries out of the way. I only wish the weather would let me get out for the maiden flight. It's not the model that's the problem, it's me, not been a well bunny lately. Cheers my friend.
Geoff 
05/01/2011 04:19:24
Hiya all, never ever having such refinements as Dual Rates on my old steam driven Futaba where and when would I need/want to use them? Cheers  
Geoff 
Thread: Newbie question on battery flight times.
04/01/2011 14:04:15
Many thanks for this r6dan. cracking  information, I will inwardly digest this lot. Cheers
Geoff 
04/01/2011 10:59:01
Many thanks for this BEB. I've had a good look at video's and read up and I think I can sort this soldering lark out with much trouble. What size soldering iron do you suggest for general all round work? Also I think I'll go the way of bullet connectors, they seem to be the best option for me. A problem I may experience with these alternative Li-Poly batteries is the size. The Li-Poly battery supplied with my Cessna 182 has the dimensions of 133 x 43 x 15mm. This fits into a purpose built plastic cage in the fuze. The alternative batteries may be a bit  fat to fit. BTW, just gone through your Sopwith Pup build, excellent series, started to make my thumbs itch again. Cheers my friend.
Geoff 
Thread: Hiya all
04/01/2011 09:27:16
Thanks for this Alan. I'll just have to keep it 2 mistakes high until I get back into the swing of things.  Cheers
Geoff 
Thread: Newbie question on battery flight times.
03/01/2011 18:04:08
Thanks my friend. I am worried about the connectors, I take it that you (me) have to do the plug changing, There by could be a problem. Strewth if I keep on like this you gonna think I'm a right wimp. I have little or no experience of soldering or the like, would it be easy for me to pick up? also what about the balanced charger connections, those little white 4 pin plugs look a different kettle of fish. From your description I appear to have a battery with a Deans connector. It appears from reading the blurb that when the charge to the motor reaches a certain point it will power down the motor, a useful bit kit for me. I hope you lot don't mind these questions, they may seem trivial but I don't want anything to go wrong when I get my first flight in. Many thanks to all for your help and it is really appreciated.
Cheers my friends,
Geoff 
03/01/2011 11:35:47
Wow! thanks for this info my friends this will surely help.
BEB These Li-Poly batteries worry me (getting old and careful) Haven't I read somewhere that these batteries must be charged through a dedicated supply and not one which is running something else? Connectors, are all Li-Poly battery connectors the same or does one have to change them to suit your model? Don't worry lads I will get the hang of it soon.  Geoff
03/01/2011 10:10:08
Hiya all, my first question so be gentle. I have purchased my first  model, an Art Tech Cessna 182 500 class RTF. It came supplied with a 2400mAH -11.1v Li-Poly battery. Maximum flight time of 10 minutes, I take this to be at full chat. Now my question is that 10 minutes is not what I would call a pleasant Sunday afternoons flying. Ok I know I can purchase more batteries but at £40 a throw it don't come cheep. What does everyone else do to get a decent days flying? 
Cheers my friends.
Geoff 
Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!