By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Smith 1

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Smith 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Another one for this crowded little world
08/02/2012 23:50:17
Congratulations Pete. You've got to go a bit to catch me up though. 7 Grandchildren and we've just been presented, 2 weeks ago, with Great Grand daughter number 4. Christmas is expensive in this house.

Geoff....poor and getting poorer dept.

Thread: 1st Crash
29/01/2012 20:08:54
My favourite Kamco Kadet with foam wings and ailerons. Went in from 300 ft 'cos I had rushed things and not secured the battery pack which became unplugged. Very impressive.
Geoff.
Thread: What do you do with old RCM&E magazines
26/01/2012 12:17:40
Posted by ken anderson. on 25/01/2012 19:02:32:
Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 25/01/2012 18:36:22:
Posted by ken anderson. on 25/01/2012 17:38:49:
blue bin.....

ken anderson ne..1... bin dept.

Hiya Ken my friend. What's this 'blue bin' business, don't tell me you get bins oop north to put your recycle paper and mags in? We just get scruffy blue bags down yer.

Cheers mate
Geoff ...................deprived dept.

hello young geoff.......we are no longer running around with bearskins on up north ..... hitting each other on the heeds with clubs...we now recycle whenever possible...... to save the planet etc.....

ken anderson ne..1 .... green dept.

Hiya Ken, well there's another lesson learnt, I still thought that trogladytes still lived north of Birmingham.
Cheers mate

Geoff...........History dept.

25/01/2012 18:36:22
Posted by ken anderson. on 25/01/2012 17:38:49:
blue bin.....

ken anderson ne..1... bin dept.

Hiya Ken my friend. What's this 'blue bin' business, don't tell me you get bins oop north to put your recycle paper and mags in? We just get scruffy blue bags down yer.

Cheers mate
Geoff ...................deprived dept.
Thread: ML407 Spitfire LF MkIXe
24/01/2012 09:41:54
Many thanks Ian, a very enjoyable and interesting insight into the history of this particular Spitfire.
Cheers

Geoff........Green Eyed and Jealous Dept.
Thread: Tony Nijhuis 45" spitfire build (first for donkys years!)
22/01/2012 19:12:42
Hiya Simon, very informative build and nicely done. Bit off thread here and one for the Mods, for the first time for months part of this thread disappears behind the adverts again.
Cheers.

Geoff .....moan dept.
Thread: Model Retrieval - Brainstorming Exercise
17/01/2012 15:11:44
Hiya all. using the treble hooks could cause a problem by snagging on rocks/bushes. I think the loop idea best.
Cheers

Geoff......model fishing dept..
Thread: Which glue for wing joining?
08/01/2012 20:13:14
Posted by Chris Bott on 08/01/2012 19:51:54:
Hi Geoff.

As its a built up wing I guess you are gluing dihedral braces to the font and rear of spars?
That sort of thing?
In which case PVA / Aliphatic will be fine.

Cheers
Chris

Hiya Chris, actually it's only got one dihedral brace between the two main spars. Do you think it would be beneficial to put another one in behind the leading edge?

Cheers mate.
Geoff
08/01/2012 17:05:06
Many thanks for this my friends. The wings are built up and are very light. I think I'll go with the aliphatic resin and keep fingers crossed.

Geoff.......end of sticky problem dept.

08/01/2012 12:12:54
Hiya all, I've now got to the point of joining the wing halves together for my Micro Telemaster. Unusually for me both sides line up perfectly without having to fiddle. I have in my collection the following adhesives:- CA, Aliphatic Resin, PVA and 5min Epoxy. In your considered opinion which would be the best for me to use?
Cheers

Geoff............sticky problem dept.
Thread: Vintage Roll Call for Greenacres
08/01/2012 12:04:08
Posted by Big Bandit on 08/01/2012 08:22:58:
I can see it now, brown tie up shoes, baggy trousers, baggy shirt and tie, sleeveless wooly home knitted jumper, short back and sides hair cut. And I'm the only one there looking like someone caught in a time warp . The missus would be posting pictures on Facebook just to take the rise .

Chris.

Hiya Chris, already started sorting my wardrobe out. I have found a 'fair isle' jumper last used in a WW2 production I was in.

Cheers
Geoff............ reminiscing dept
08/01/2012 00:03:18
Hiya all, all these lovely old timers, models that is, Greenacres is gonna be great this year.
Be there or be square.

Geoff..........digging up old sayings dept.
Thread: Covering film trimmer
07/01/2012 11:42:59
Posted by Pete B on 05/01/2012 17:04:38:
That's a great idea, Steve, I've got the blades but you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to buy ice-lollies out of season in France.........

I shall certainly try this. Im always surprised how quickly film takes the edge off any blade - one cut and that's yer lot, in my experience........

Has anyone tried a Crafty Cutter? Looks good but I suspect the blades go just as quickly.

Pete

Hiya Pete, yes mate tried it. Now I don't know if it was me but it worked fine until it seemed to hit a hard spot and didn't cut but tore the Solafilm so I ditched it and used my scalpel.

Cheers
Geoff..........Surgery dept.
Thread: Micro Telemaster Build
05/01/2012 14:03:04
Posted by Olly P on 05/01/2012 13:29:46:
2 good, if slightly blurred insertions there Geoff!

Hiya Olly, put it down to my age mate. Cheers my friend,

Geoff ........... shaky hand dept
05/01/2012 13:22:07

Hiya all. just a couple of pictures on the progress of the Micro Telemaster. This the first time doing this so I am prepared to be 'modded' Question , do the wheels look ok? only I fly from a rough field and I can't get the hang of hand launching 'cos I get flustered.
Whoops! it's gonna have to be individual pictures.

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 05/01/2012 13:25:13

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 05/01/2012 13:27:18

Thread: Covering advice
05/01/2012 10:12:07
Hiya all, thanks for this information gentlemen, it is much appreciated. Yes the stabiliser is of open construction, made using 1/8sq, hence the fragility. 1/3 of the leading edge has gone already in sanding to l/e shape. In explanation, I have no modelling budget and will have to go with what I got, so I have doubled up on the leading edge by inserting pieces behind the original between the cross members. Should this not work I will change the stabiliser to a solid unit.
Cheers all

Geoff...............Belt tightening dept.
04/01/2012 12:33:48
Hiya all. I am building a Micro Telemaster. I can foresee a problem when it comes to covering it. I suffer badly with COPD so doping is out 'cos the fumes will stop me. I have just built the stabiliser and it is very, very fragile and I think ordinary Solafilm will crush it when shrunk. I think the wings and fuselage will be ok. Can any one advise me on alternate methods which will suit this application.
Cheers all

Geoff........... decrepit dept.
Thread: Mouse Hunt
04/01/2012 08:11:25
Just to keep you posted in this 'thrilling' topic. Last nights capture was the 17th. Persistent little perishers aren't they.

Geoff.......... the demon Hornbeam Hamster Catcher.
Thread: New Glue
01/01/2012 19:54:08
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/01/2012 15:36:39:
Maybe Tim, but some definitely produce more toxic fumes than others - I suffer from COPD and I can really tell the difference between cheap and the more expensive (almost) 'fume free' varieties.
Graham, the Poundland stuff definitely affects me badly if I get a lungful.

Hiya Bob, I suffer with COPD big time but I can honestly say that the fumes do not affect me, I can't even smell them. I do work in a very large cold attic and I wonder if this disperses the fumes more quickly.

Cheers mate

Geoff..............something or other dept.

01/01/2012 09:53:35
Posted by Lee Damms on 31/12/2011 22:48:27:
Great stuff this I usually take some to the field, must admit I get a bit greedy when it comes to glue (well her indoors says its a fetish) got 5 cards worth of the stuff at the moment, keep sugesting at poundland they start selling aliphatic glue but I just get a blank look.

Hiya Lee, I'll have a go at our Poundland shop, they've only just opened so they might be acceptable to a request. Happy New Year mate.

Geoff..............Hungover dept.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us