By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Smith 1

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Smith 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: It's me again. Part One.
04/07/2011 19:42:21
Thanks for this Ben. Perhaps the plastic? extension pipe I've seen around may quieten it a bit. Cheers mate

Geoff
04/07/2011 19:03:07
Addendum to part one. Thinking as one does occurred to me that when I used this engine 20 years ago noise was not such an issue as it is today. I have a regular (ordinary?) torpedo type silencer, would this be sufficient or would I need to modify it? Carrying on from that I also thought about the engine vibration and the noise this could cause being amplified through the fuselage. Has anyone very fitted rubber gromets between the engine and the mount to deaden the noise? Cheers all

Geoff
04/07/2011 18:54:46
Posted by ken anderson. on 04/07/2011 18:16:51:
geoff...you can get some good servo's for around £5.00 each...... save the bother/hassle changing everything around....come to mention it-you reminded me of Frank Butcher off eastender's when we met at the greenacre's do.....

ken anderson ne..1.

Thanks mate, he's dead ain't he? Yes Ken I know I can get servo's for that sort of money but I want to get servo's the same size as I've got so I don't have to hack her about to fit smaller one's. I've actually got one here and I am going to troll through the suppliers and see if I can match the size. How are you mate, I have been ever so flat since Greenacres, I really enjoyed it there meeting all you lot. Roll on next year. Cheers my friend

Geoff
04/07/2011 13:59:57
Hiya all. Now we've just about got me and the Webbit sorted I've decided to extend my hanger by resurrecting my Precident Hi-Boy. On getting it down from the attic, where it has resided for the last 20 years, I am pleasantly surprised how good a nick it's in, a bit mucky but that can be sorted and the Solafilm has gone a bit slack. Mind you I did tend to build 'em to last in those days. The engine, a MagnumGP 40 still turned nicely but to give it a birthday I have completely stripped it cleaned all the parts and reassembled it just using WD40 to aid fitment, it now feels and looks like a new one, there is no wear evident. Ok I can hear the laughter from here but it'll do me. Now before I go any further I need to point out that my modelling budget is ZERO and an added handicap is that SWMBO thinks that flying model aircraft is silly, and this from someone who watches every episode of Eastenders. Actually my budget is how much I can spend without her noticing, but you know what these women are like. Now, not wishing to hack the Hi-Boy about I would like to use the stuff that came out of her if possible,and because to my very lmited budget. I have 4 Sanwa SM-631 servo's fitted and they never gave any problem but the plugs are different. They have 2 Black wires and 1 Red wire. Would it be easy for me, with my limited ability, to change the plugs on these or maybe buy some servo extension leads and cut the plugs off of them and solder wire to wire? The engine is devoid of a plug, for some reason or other. Can someone give me an idea which plug to use on the Magnum? Bound to be more to follow but for now, Cheers my friends.
Geoff
Thread: How to hand launch
04/07/2011 11:54:41
This is why I love this forum, just ask a question and look at the interesting and very helpful replies you get back. Cheers my friends.

Geoff
04/07/2011 07:35:48
Thanks for all this help my friends, I feel a lot more confident now to hand launch. It was the running bit that was worrying me. Cheers

Geoff
03/07/2011 10:13:49
Posted by kiwi g on 03/07/2011 08:15:32:
Geoff .. first launch .. find some long grass .... just in case

Hiya Kiwi. Would you believe it? My flying field had 3ft grass up until last night! The flaming inconsiderate farmer decided to cut it. I'll still give it a go whilst the cut long stuff will still offer some crash padding. BTW, would a couple of clicks on the up elevator be beneficial? It might give me a second or two to sort my self out with the transmitter. Cheers

Geoff
03/07/2011 08:09:13
Thanks for these answers gentlemen. It's electric Stephan and according to Chris Bott It's got some umph. VA I'm a funny old so and so and first flights always seem to go better if there is no one watching me. Daft I know but it's just one of those little quirks I've got, I can stand on a stage with 700 pairs of eyes watching me and it doesn't throw me but put a transmitter in my hand and I get flustered. Cheers lads.

Geoff
03/07/2011 07:32:53
Hiya all. I've managed until now to never hand launch a model always having wheels so I could take off ROG. My Webbit is a different story and I now find myself in virgin territory with having to chuck the thing to get it airborne. I am not the healthiest of people and running could be a problem as I will need to be on my feet to control it. Can you please give me some pointers about this hand launch lark. Cheers
Geoff
Thread: Totally Gutted!!
03/07/2011 07:25:57
Posted by JayCee on 03/07/2011 07:12:24:
The 'G' word?

Do you think Ben means that outdoor game with a little ball

JC

A good walk spoiled I think.

Geoff
Thread: Watch Out for the Trees!
02/07/2011 23:15:40
Ask Chris Bott about windshear. He had the same thing happen at Greenacres when he was maidening my Webbit. If it had been me I would have lost it but Chris's skill saved the day.
Geoff
Thread: Lurking
30/06/2011 22:31:58
I'm here as well. I read everything posted whether it interests me or not, it's amazing what little snippets of information you can pick up about building issues, power and kits (or ARTF) etc: I also lurk but I do also post although a lot of my posts do tend to end a thread. Cheers all
Geoff
Thread: Greenacres / RCM&E 2011 fly-in pics/video thread
27/06/2011 21:46:37
I really gotta sort out how to put pictures on here. One at a time is pants
Geoff.
27/06/2011 08:28:27
Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 27/06/2011 08:22:25:
Many thanks Reg

Just in case anyone is wondering - you don't have to have a YT model for the next Greenacres fly-in, it's a general fly-in for all models, just like this weekend.

Excuse the ignorance David but what is a YT model?

Geoff
Thread: Biggles' Mess (the renamed cafe!)
26/06/2011 23:07:07
Posted by Terence Lynock on 26/06/2011 22:25:34:
Where has everybody gawn?, 4 minute warning? gone down wiv E coli? day out at the seaside?.............

Quite a few were at Greenacres mate. Great weekend was had by all. Cheers mate

Geoff

Builder of the Divine Webbit No 20
Thread: Greenacres / RCM&E 2011 fly-in pics/video thread
26/06/2011 18:28:57
Nice pictures VA, just got home from the show and want to say a big thank you to the members of the Greenacres Model Club. They were the most friendly lot you could wish to meet and as this was my first time they made me feel very welcome. Special mention for Chris Bott who maidened my Webbit, thanks Chris, you made me a very happy man yesterday. Also last but not least, it was great meeting up with all the attending forum members and David and Grahem Ashby. Cheers my friends for a great weekend.

Geoff

Builder of the Divine Webbit No 20
Thread: Greenacres RCM&E 2011 Summer Fly-In
23/06/2011 21:46:27
Thanks for your reply to my PM Chris, I'm unable to use the reply facility on the message board for some reason or other. Cheers mate
See you tomorrow.
Geoff

Wonky Webbit No 20 Builder.
Thread: Church Roof
22/06/2011 23:25:26
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/06/2011 23:14:43:
Hi Geoff,

As long as you don't start singing hymns while you're flying it I don't mind!

BEB

Damn, and I've been rehearsing like mad. Perhaps you'll let me whistle then. LOL

Cheers mate

Geoff
Thread: Biggles' Mess (the renamed cafe!)
22/06/2011 21:45:44
Posted by Richard Bond on 22/06/2011 15:40:02:
I'm not too concerned, , it wasn't me that ended it, for a change, but, can anyone else see the Morbidelli Picture! I can't and I usually blame AOL.....

Hiya Richard. If you want to stop a thread dead just use my name. Cheers

Geoff

Builder of Webbit No 20 weighing in at 2.6 lbs.
Thread: Church Roof
22/06/2011 16:39:22
Hiya all. I've put this on here because it is loosely connected to the Webbit. After finishing my Webbit I needed some lead to use for ballast as the stuff I had was a bit manky. Now the chap next door is in the building trade and I thought I wonder if he has any. Being clever and expecting a reaction I stuck my head over the fence and asked him if he had any 'church roof'. His affirmative answer took me off my stride as I wasn't expecting it. He did have some, and it turns out it really is off a church roof. He was employed by a Company restoring a village church roof and he picked this bit up for his son to make fishing weights. Does this mean that my Webbit has a divine start in life? Cheers my friends

Geoff

Divine Webbit Builder No 20.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CADMA
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us