By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ben B

Here is a list of all the postings Ben B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Prostate Cancer
08/04/2019 16:27:57

http://www.annfammed.org/content/16/2/149 is one of many studies I'd point to

Digital Rectal Examination for Prostate Cancer Screening in Primary Care: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

" CONCLUSION Given the considerable lack of evidence supporting its efficacy, we recommend against routine performance of DRE to screen for prostate cancer in the primary care setting. "

As said, it doesn't do harm to do it but people shouldn't be put off getting checked because of the fear of DRE when its fairly unhelpful in asymptomatic screening.

08/04/2019 16:21:12
Posted by David Mellor on 08/04/2019 14:05:39:

As I said, I'm sure the post is well intentioned.

It's just based on 20 odd years of doing DREs and acceptance amongst clinicians that it's a fairly unhelpful test and good evidence that many clinicians struggle interpreting what they're finding. I still do it on an almost daily basis (patients expect it and usually after discussion agree to have it). However my post was an attempt to point out that DRE isn't the be all and end all of prostate checking and very useful monitoring could occur without it.

IE most of the time people agree to a DRE but lots more don't come to get screened because they falsely think that screening only occurs via DRE and don't want one. Which is beyond a shame.

08/04/2019 12:29:11

Please don't be put off getting checked due to fear of the finger. The truth is sticking a finger up the backside of someone without symptoms is not a particularly useful test in the majority of cases and therefore (as a GP with massive hands) I tend to just not do it.

It's useful if someone has symptoms (to see if the prostate is enlarged) but for screening of asymptomatic patients it's not useful or strictly required and as said it puts up the PSA test for the next few weeks.

What's increasingly apparent is that changes in the PSA level within normal are also quite important IE if a patient's PSA level is still normal but has doubled in a year or two it can be very relevant.

So the answer gents is please get your GP to check your PSA level annually and just decline the finger if offered and you don't want it!

Thread: C rating on Lipo's
23/03/2019 22:22:04

Even within the same brand of batteries you'll find massive differences. Take HK Nanotech- I find the 2s 450s are really good - low IR and take a whooping nicely. Go up a few hundred mAh however and the IR drops massively and you're better going GNB (e.g. 2s 650 GNB beats the nanos hands down).! It's a bit silly really.

It's a minefield. Take C ratings with a MI inducing pinch of salt. If in doubt buy 1, check the IR and then decide on whether to buy more (bearing in mind IR changes massively with capacity). A tinywhoop size battery with a IR of 50 would seem ultra yet on a 2200 it's pants.

Thread: Growing chillies from seed
16/03/2019 18:35:53

PS if you do buy one of the cheaper LED "grow lamps"- be really very careful- the first one I bought had a flat plate at the front with the LEDs stuck on it and two wires appearing from the base into the middle of the plate and soldered in place- transpires it was totally exposed 240v AC! Quite literally shocking!!!

16/03/2019 18:33:44

Chillis like heat and time. As advised refridgerating is helpful as is a soak in cold tea for ten minutes before planting. I personally don't do the kitchen paper trick as the seedlings sometimes get a shock when they hit soil and get sulky.

I'm currently growing thirteen chillis under grow lamps

1 Bhut Jalokia (Worlds second hottest- currently harvesting red chillis of this one)

2 Carolina Reaper (Worlds hottest chiili currently)- both about 4 inches tall- about to pot them on

4 "Roquito" style plants - still small seedlings

3 Scotch bonnet plants (flowering)- taken from cuttings from last year's bush (which I'm also attempting to over-winter)

3 Serano chillis from Wahacha "guerilla chilli planting" seeds

Only the Reaper and Bhuts took a tea soak to get them going.

Growing chillis under grow lamps is very achievable- I used about 60W total LED power for the above plants.

Most important thing with chillis grown indoors is you won't get chillis unless you artificially polinate- I tend to use a cotton bud for this. Otherwise (unless you get a rogue bea indoors) you'll just get lots of lovely flowers which immediately drop without chilli formation).

Thread: Fire Extinguishers?
15/02/2019 09:14:47
Ideally any extinguisher will be in a stand which keeps it off the floor. I saw photos once of what happened to someone's garage roof when a water extinguisher sat on a damp concrete floor rusted through. Shot in the air like a rocket!!! Luckily no-one standing next to it at the time...
Thread: PVA and Balsa sawdust.
24/01/2019 22:32:07
Cyano and sodium bicarb makes a rock hard filler. Strong but a pain to sand. Very exothermic reaction also.
Thread: Famous model flyers
10/01/2019 22:48:30
Okay not quite so famous- Vernon Kaye used to fly at wormwood scrubs. Paul Daniels flew r/c. Harry Enfield bought a glow heli from the model shop in Camden Town but took it back later!
Thread: Keeping Warm In Winter Weather
05/01/2019 12:29:43
I just layer up. For the hands I got an insulated tx mitt from banggood for about a tenner. I made a 20 watt pwm lipo powered heater to go in it but haven't used it yet.
Thread: What is a reasonable time to wait for contact after a purchase?
01/01/2019 13:45:26

It's a bit strange! The final bid was 2/3rds of buying on direct from a shop so I can't imagine the seller was that upset at the final price (IE that the reason they didn't reply is because they changed their mind). Wierd though- I certainly would have expected a response.

Thread: SC52 2stroke issue.
01/01/2019 11:34:59

Great news (other than the hard landing!!!). I personally quite like the quirky silencer position- looks like a WW1 machine gun :D

Thread: Flashing LEDs
30/12/2018 21:48:02

sorry- should have said- I was imagining the LED flasher relay being used- probably in a decased direct soldered situation....

30/12/2018 21:47:03

What frequency do automotive indicators flash at? You can get LED versions of those that will flash at any wattage any ones that will do 6v which I suspect is close enough to 5.5 to work....

Thread: Alternatives to this Turnigy motor please
30/12/2018 11:27:38
This appears to be the same motor

https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/keda-motor-2213-20-1050kv-with-acc.html

If you search 2213 1050kv you should find a few similar also.
Thread: Long range photography
27/12/2018 12:27:28
I would up the hysteria and say it's attacking the sun!!!!
Thread: Gatwick drone incident
27/12/2018 11:24:17
In completely unrelated news a majority share in Gatwick was today sold to a French company. Do you think anyone ringing in a drone sighting had a foreign dialling tone Not anti-French btw. But the timing is interesting. Everyone is saying it was environmentalists but they would surely "claim" it. Groups like Greenpeace try to do as big a soectacular as possible. Blackmail or financial shenanigans makes more sense to me........
Thread: Small DLG flying on Hampstead Heath?
23/12/2018 20:01:41

I fly relatively regularly on the Heath (light electric stuff only, nothing bigger than 1M wingspan) and there's another gent that lives next to the Heath who I've seen flying a DLG on a calm summers evening. I looked into the legality of flying / the byelaws etc before I started and couldn't find conclusive evidence. All I know is that the park constabulary have driven past and didn't bat an eyelid (whereas they're quite quick at stopping BBQs etc and people cycling).

So the legal situation I think is unresolved but in practice a DLG is fine.

I tend to fly at the end near the suburb in the field labelled "North Point" on the following map

http://cdn.rowleygallery.co.uk/2014/02/hampstead-heath-map.jpg

the field is actually named after a farmer but can't remember it's proper name!!!

Thread: What is a reasonable time to wait for contact after a purchase?
23/12/2018 12:09:07
Agree with Peter. An Ebay dispute does no harm to the vendor if it is resolved and I think its not unreasonable to be concerned. Even if the vendor was away you would imagine they would be online....
Thread: Gatwick drone incident
23/12/2018 08:51:10
24 hour delays will seem like "the good old days" early April this year!!!
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us