By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Low pass Pete

Here is a list of all the postings Low pass Pete has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How many mass build Renaissance
16/08/2019 08:23:46

My build is now more advanced and I have a fighting chance of completion in time for 15th. If not complete I hope to bring my 2017 build Skywriter anyway. Formation would be good.

Cheers Peter

02/07/2019 05:41:19

Hi Chris

I'm hoping to make it. But my build is a bit behind.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: Low pass Petes Mass Build thread - Renaissance
27/05/2019 09:19:36

Hello Guys

Well I am now well behind everyone else. Project not forgotten but has been held up due to:

New Kitchen install

Holiday

etc etc etc.

Will not be able to get back to her until later in Juneindecision

Cheers for now

Peter

Thread: Matt's renaissance build
27/05/2019 09:14:30
Posted by Lindsay Todd on 12/05/2019 21:21:49:

Nice one, it struck me that a biplane version would work well. Lindsay

I agree Lindsay and it flew as well as my Skywriter it would be ace.

Cheers
Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 27/05/2019 09:14:47

Thread: 2019 Mass Build
05/04/2019 08:23:09

General tip on wingtips

If you look at the plan where it shows the general view of rib construction side view. This shows a dotted line running from the trailing edge to the centre of the leading edge. This is the glue line for the tips. The pictures in the instructions also support this. Just add triangular supports from edge of tip to the spars (front and rear).

Hope this is helpful

Peter

Thread: Tony Oneilll Renaissance
03/04/2019 09:02:49

Good progress Tony. I'm now miles behind you as we have guests this week and a kitchen fit before Easter.

Cheers

Peter

28/03/2019 07:49:48

Good choice Chris. Plans are sometimes not as clear as they could be. The free plans sometimes are not very specific and some are better than others. Always think how to build strength and avoid joints. In time you get a feel for something not right. All part of the experience. Good luck and press on mate.

Peter

28/03/2019 07:21:49

Chris

My advice would be do not chance it. The tailplane is about the most crucial part of the plane.

Martins advice is sound and what I would do if in the same situation. I probably would have a couple of 1/4 spruce joiners one at the rear and the second positioned to get max length.

If you did not use epoxy to join the tailplane initially I personally would be tempted to rebuild.

Hope this is helpful

Peter

27/03/2019 06:34:56

General tip on build of tailplane

The plan only shows one half of the tailplane. I would suggest that the centre section is cut in one piece so to be as one piece and not 2. Also would suggest to make lower cross part as one piece as well

This will make the tailplane stronger.

Always plan to avoid a joint where possible as joins are a potential weakness.

Cheers

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 27/03/2019 06:43:40

27/03/2019 06:30:04

General points on the wing build.

The plan is not specific on some points. Looking at the instructions and photos it seems that the original build did not have webs between the upper and lower spars.

I personally intend to fit webs. I think this will add strength for a very small amount of extra weight. The plan does not say what thickness sheeting should be. I will use 1/16 as all my other builds.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: Chris Mass Build thread - Renaissance
27/03/2019 06:22:12

Chris please see my reply on the general build ref some of your issues.

Peter

27/03/2019 06:19:12

Chris Ref your issues

No 1

No problems with elevators. Just use wire joiner as per plan. However ref tailplane. Please ensure you join your 2 halves with a strong epoxy. Alternately remove the centre section and replace with a single piece. This would be much stronger.

No 2

I would remove servos and snakes and reverse as per plan. Just smile and carry on.

No 3

Make a centre section rib from 1/4in balsa and fit in the centre line. Sheet to this extra rib from each wing. This will have two bonuses. Extra strength and will make sheeting easier. One finished and covered all will be fine.

Hope this is helpful. Do not despair. The great thing about balsa is that errors are simply put right.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: Chris Mass Build thread - Renaissance
26/03/2019 18:50:32

Chris if you look at the plan area that shows a cross section of the wing it shows 1.5mm sheeting all round the wing but also note that the upperview of the wing shows a fairly typical sheeted front and rear area and therefore the ribs would have cap strips about 1/4 in or so. The sheeted areas (inboard and outboard)have circular finish. Also you need webs between each rib from top spar to lower spars.

I also have had no 1.5mm in my wood pack and will have to purchase that. I am not impressed with the wood pack as it is no where near complete and requires much stripping for 1/4 X 1/2 for the rear tails etc.

The pre-cut parts have been generally ok ish but the cores for the elevators were too wide by 1/2 in and I have simply trimmed these to suit the plan.

25/03/2019 06:53:55

I have taken the dotted line as centre point Chris

25/03/2019 06:52:09

Great work Tony. my progress has slowed due to being away for a few days.

Peter

Thread: Jim build thread
25/03/2019 06:49:55

Agree on that Tony. Sorry not to have replied earlier but we were away.

Cheers

Peter

16/03/2019 09:26:13

I think he is 1/8. He came from DB Sport and Scale (unpainted) and I added a bit more lower body so he is taller than supplied. He is destined for a DB Sport and Scale 58in Tiger Moth (if I ever finish it) so I may well source another pilot for Renaissance.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: Buddie's build thread
16/03/2019 06:14:43

Ref how to load Photos.

1. Click on Albums on same bar as Forum

2. Click on add Photos

3. Create an Album. This will be where you put all your own photos

4. Now open your as yet blank Album

5. Click Edit photos and the add new photos

6 Select your photos to upload.

Think I got the sequence right. It is easier to do than write about. What I do is to put my photos in one folder on my laptop then load them to the album from there. The process is a bit clunky and I have not found yet how to load directly from a phone as you can if using Facebook.

When adding a photo to a blog click on the camera item and select your album from the list shown. You can have many albums by the way. Then select the specific photo you want to insert in your blog

Cheers hope that helps a bit. smiley

Peter

16/03/2019 05:58:32

Great progress Tony. I thought that the sheeting was a bit thick as well but not at that point yet.

Cheers

Peter

15/03/2019 17:25:03

One of my pilots (actually destined for a Tiger Moth) checking out the cockpit for size. The seat back rest from an old Warbird will possibly be rehomed in Renaissance.

img_6392.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us