By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Low pass Pete

Here is a list of all the postings Low pass Pete has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Dark Nights Fix-up 2020
19/09/2020 06:41:19

Count me in. I have an old used Acrowot that could do with a refurb plus a Seagull Chipmunk that had a mishap and not been repaired. Both in the Garage Loft.

Cheers

Peter (Low Pass Pete)

Thread: ARTF Scale or semi scale aerobatic biplane
24/08/2020 13:21:18

Hi Charles

Not sure where u live but Inwoods Models at Huntingdon have had a second hand Christian Eagle hanging up for sometime. I am pretty certain it was a Hangar 9 version and it looked little used.

Cheers

LPP

23/08/2020 18:41:49

Hi Charles

Ref aeros with the Jungmeister. Rolls and loop seem ok but really do need sufficient power up front. I have not experienced too much of a problem with the UC but it is something to be aware of. I fly from a grass club strip and as the kit has mudguards but I have not used these and I upped the wheel size a tad which are softer than those supplied.

Also the fairings on the UC are just heat-shrink covered which I have found a pain so I eventually removed it and skinned it in 1/16 balsa and covered with some silver solartex. Much improved.

All in all the model looks great but would be unsuitable for a first biplane as you need to be aware of the way to fly her.

Rigging it at site is pretty easy as the left and right wings plug in and the upper and lower remain as one piece together with the rigging.

Hope that helps.

Peter

PS Just taken a look at the ad in BMFA site that you have seen.  The model is not exactly as mine as the colour scheme is different.  I suspect it was as supplied iby Seagull n the US.  The colours of mine was as the original  airframe was flown at the 1936 Olympics but I think the Romanium pilot subsequently exported the AC to the states.  I think it now hangs in the Ubehazi Museum at Washington where it is in the colours of the one advertised.  Probably more attractive to US Buyers.  

Edited By Low pass Pete on 23/08/2020 19:06:04

19/08/2020 15:50:16

Hi Charles

If you want to fly sprited aeros then I would probably chose the Christen Eagle. The scale look of the Jungmeister is great but I have had some issues with both. The Eagle is the easier aircraft to fly. However Pitts type ac need care.

With the Christen powered with an OS 120 there is plenty of grunt I think I had to shorten the engine mount area a bit due to longer engine than the 91. No problem on that at all. As the airframe is short you have to be careful on take off due to torque swing. Also you need to keep speed up on landing. The aircraft is pretty agile and is probably more capable than I am! Looks good in the air. I also did not like the top wing attachment Seagull used and I made the upper wing one piece as I felt it would be more durable.

Ref the Jungmeister.

I have found that as it is scale-ish you have to invoke turns with the rudder. However once a turn is initiated she tends to drop the nose so release rudder and continue with ailerons. It is different on each direction which is why I have not used a mixer. Turns purely on ailerons are not pretty. A second club member here at Ramsey has the same issue. She is not my ideal Aerobatic machine

As the aircraft is quite bulky with a large radial cowl there is significant drag. I opted for the Laser as the 20cc Petrol Evo interfered with my radio. The airframe could possibly go better with a 180 Laser or a better petrol than I originally had. One down side is the Undercart is not sprung so care is required on landing to keep it smooth.

At the moment my Eagle has lost its 120 engine to a Seagull 80in Chipmunk in Canadian markings. Perfect combination and is a real sweetie to fly. A cracking model. 

This photo was taken at the 2019 RCM and E Fly in at Buckminster.  Added bonus No trim change when flaps deployed.

low pass petes chippy at buckminster.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 19/08/2020 16:02:38

19/08/2020 11:29:11
Posted by Charles Aldous 1 on 19/08/2020 10:33:24:

Thanks for replies: I like the look of the Christen Eagle and research would favour the Hangar 9 version but discontinued, which leave the Seagul one which is reasonably well thought of. The other model I like the look of is the Seagull Bucker Jungmeister, 65" wingspan.

I have both of these models.

Ref Jungmeister- Mine has a Laser 155. I would not recommend a smaller engine than this. It would struggle on a 91.

Ref Christan Eagle - Mine had an OS 120 and it flew very well on this, but I feel on a 91 it would be underpowered and climb rate would be poor. The Eagle is much like a Pitts so likes power. Not a model for a beginer.

Hope this helps

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 19/08/2020 11:29:38

Thread: The Ohmen
10/07/2020 15:43:44

Ballerina is a great model to fly and would fit the bill for a 1st low winger in my opinion. Mine has OS52 for power which is more power that the prototype had. She goes well. Has very nice take off and landing manners. I did a few mods to Peter's plan in that I inverted my engine and used 2 aileron servos instead of a single in the centre

However I have been impressed by my Fun Fly as well. Nice kit and easy to build. Just what I needed for lockdown. Used a 20 year old ASP46.

The choice is yours David

Cheers

Peter (Low Pass Pete)

10/07/2020 09:00:24
Posted by David Clark 18 on 10/07/2020 08:50:32:

Thanks for the reply and your suggestions. They are all of interest, is the Renaissance designed for electric, I have a number of 3s 2200 and 3700 batteries which made the ohmen very attractive.

No Renaissance was originally designed for IC but a lot have gone electric. Lindsay Todd the designer also did a biplane named Skywriter for electric, mine was converted to IC. Ballerina was designed for IC but a lot were converted to Electric. There are build forums on both of these as they were subjects of RCM&E Mass builds in 2016 and 17. You can get plans and pre cut parts from SARIK on all these. 20180512_080839.jpg

10/07/2020 06:54:53
Posted by David Clark 18 on 10/07/2020 03:14:10:

Do you think the Ohmen would make a good model for the transition from high to low wing flying.

Agree with Chris that Renaissance would be a good choice. Here is mine. She really is nice to flyimg_6593.jpg

Or if you want a kit build then how about a SLEC Fun Fly. Not low wing but mid wing. This has been my lockdown model build. Flys well and can be IC or electric.rmac 2020 058.jpg

Or perhaps Ballerina from Pete Millers fold.img_5283.jpg

Thread: Lockdown Models
24/06/2020 06:36:46

"Lock Be a Lady" My new SLEC Fun Fly built during Lock Down. (Pretending to be a Mustang!). Old ASP46 for power that had lain in my cupboard for many years.

rmac 2020 058.jpg

Thread: SLEC Fun Fly - Lockdown Project
24/06/2020 06:27:36

"Lock Be a Lady" in flight at our Ramsey site yesterday.

rmac 2020 058.jpg

21/06/2020 03:44:43

My Fun Fly had her maiden 3 flights yesterday. It was a bit windy but it was no problem. Very pleased with outcome. C of G is just a tad behind main spar. I built a battery box for the battery which is accessed via a hatch on the lower Fuselage just behind the servos. I have not weighed her but would estimate about 4 1/2 pound, perhaps a bit less. 

The plan gave no indication on control throws so in traditional Low Pass Pete fashion they have plenty of movement. The elevator will need some change as it was a little sensitive with the current settings and for some reason I had forgotten a set any lower rates.

Great performance and she will happily cruise about on about 1/2 throttle. Good climb rate and a good quick roll rate. So I am looking forward to a less windy session. Very pleased with outcome. A very underrated kit and a pleasure to put together. Just what I needed to while away the time in Lock Down.

Just waiting for some lettering now to add some Nose Art.  Thinking of naming her "Lock be a Lady"  Covering by the way is Oracover Silver and Cub Yellow.  "F" (for Fun) and canopy are Black Solar trim.

20200620_162358.jpg

20200620_162412.jpg

20200620_162424.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 21/06/2020 03:54:38

Edited By Low pass Pete on 21/06/2020 03:55:26

18/06/2020 11:17:36

Well here is my SLEC Fun-fly just about complete. Just waiting for some decals from Pyramid Models and then a suitable day for maiden flight. She will have some American Stars and bars and pretend to be a P51! If I could get some lettering she could be called "Lock be a Lady"  I opted for the ASP46 by the way.

img_6619.jpg

img_6621.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 18/06/2020 11:18:47

Edited By Low pass Pete on 18/06/2020 11:19:28

Thread: Post A test model
18/06/2020 11:10:44

I Have just completed my lockdown model a SLEC Fun Fly. Perfect for A Test.

img_6619.jpg

Thread: Align Starter
25/05/2020 06:36:46

The obvious question is have you contacted SMC to ask the question? I would have thought that any commercially available charger for LIPOs would be ok as long as you have a compatible lead connector.

Thread: SLEC Fun Fly - Lockdown Project
21/04/2020 16:53:25

Well I have just test run the Irvine 46 and the ASP46 on a test bench in the garden.

Irvine runs as expected and is a strong contender. Used an 11X8 prop and 10% fuel. However the ASP runs even better. Wonderful tick over using the JEng quiet silencer. So it looks as if the ASP 46 will get the job. Saves about 57gms over the Irvine.

img_6609.jpg

21/04/2020 12:55:54

Last consideration is fuel tank. The kit supplies a SLEC Red tank (6oz). Normally I would use a 8-10 oz tank for a 46. So fuel consumption/duration is a consideration. A SLEC yellow tank will not fit unless I do some mods. However that would increase nose weight.

All that said maybe the 36 would be the engine??????frown

img_6606.jpg

img_6607.jpg

Yes I know I have got the switch cut-out on wrong side.  As a user of mainly inverted 4 strokes that is where I put the switch.  But this is a 2 stroke install with exhaust on starboard sided so will need to put switch on port side and not starboard.sad

Edited By Low pass Pete on 21/04/2020 12:59:13

21/04/2020 12:49:15

Engine choices are:

Irvine 46 - 396 gms

img_6602.jpg

ASP 46 - 339 gms

img_6603.jpg

Silencer options for both above as the mounting is the same:

1. Irvine 46 original - 102 gms

2. Just Engines quit2 silencer - 111gms

3. Original ASP 46 - 89 gms

img_6604.jpg

img_6605.jpg

img_6608.jpg

So lightest option is ASP46 with original silencer (428 gms). ASP Silencer is noisy so I would reckon to use ASP with original Irvine - 441 gms

Heaviest is Irvine with quiet silencer (507 gms or 498 gms with org silencer). Probably best of the 46 engines.

Have not been able to weigh the ASP 36 as it is still installed but probably similar to the ASP 46 methinks.

21/04/2020 09:24:29

Hi Adrian my build is basically to give me another hack model and not a serious competition model. The OS would the choice if I were intending it to be competitive but cost is really high these days which is a shame. Hence looking to use out of use engine from stock.

21/04/2020 09:00:48

Hello all

Well I decided to build a SLEC Fun Fly (IC Version) as a lockdown project.

Kit has arrived and Fus is underway. I'm very happy with the kit. Photos later. I have a question regarding engine size. Has anyone fitted and flown one with an Irvine 46 (One with silver carb)? If yes were there any issues with weight and balance?

I have at my disposal an Irvine 46, ASP 46 or an ASP36. the ASP 46 is significantly lighter than the Irvine (which is not the lightest).

My gut would be to source an OS35AX but these are not cheap (if you can find one), so the ASP36 could seem to be a good alternate. But it is already in a Werewolf.

However the Irvine is a very good engine so may be best choice but the question of weight comes in as the construction is light.

Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers

Peter

(Low Pass Pete)

Edited By Low pass Pete on 21/04/2020 09:27:22

Thread: NEW POLL - Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
10/04/2020 06:40:27

I have ordered a SLEC Funfly (ICModel). This should be with me next week. I have a very nice Irvine 46 late model engine (with OS Carb) doing nothing so the Funfly will be a very suitable home for it.

Best to all

Peter

Speaking to SLEC apparently they are selling a lot of model boats at the moment.............wink

Edited By Low pass Pete on 10/04/2020 06:43:10

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!