By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Low pass Pete

Here is a list of all the postings Low pass Pete has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Low Pass Pete's Build Thread for Ballerina
29/02/2016 19:54:16

Could be the thought of all the low passes he will have to do Chris!

By the way saw your video of you first flights. Looks good. Just a quick question ref balance. I am using a 52 as you have. How was balance?

Cheers

Peter

29/02/2016 16:18:09

Progress has been very limited for the last 2 weeks or so as I have been laid low due to a hernia (very painful). sad. Op later this week.wink so hopefully I'll be back on form soon.

Anyway I have been able to finalise the pilot. Sourced from DB Sport and Scale. He seem more in keeping with the airframe. Just hope my paint work is up to scratch.

img_5043.jpg

Thread: DB Tiger Moth 58"
17/02/2016 09:18:54

You may well find this blog of interest. It shows a DB Sport and Scale 58" Tiger Moth Electric conversation

**LINK**

I also have one in build but it has got stalled due to other projects

Peter

17/02/2016 07:09:12

Ref final covering etc. I'm intending to give my Ballerina a Reg. No. So G-BALL fits the bill and it does not seem to be used live on the civil register yetwink. Now to see what letters I have in stock before talking to Pyramid models. Does any one have a recommendation what style should be used?

Link to Pyramid

http://www.pyramidmodels.com/shop/section.php/41/1/letters_cnc_cut_vinyl

Ballerina by the way reminds me of a sport model I built many years ago called Mole by Dave Richardson http://gb.trapletshop.com/mole this was a very nice design (with flap option) that flew extremely well just as PM designs.   Mine simply faded away!  There was a biplane version as well called Bullfrog of I have the plan but have not built it so far

Edited By Low pass Pete on 17/02/2016 07:12:04

Edited By Low pass Pete on 17/02/2016 07:30:04

Edited By Low pass Pete on 17/02/2016 07:30:42

17/02/2016 06:59:18

Craig

I will use either epoxy or 2 part fuel proofer. I may well paint with Solarlac as well depending on what I have in stock. I tend to use any excess epoxy to fuel proof as I proceed with the build, usually in the tank area.

16/02/2016 18:14:08

Hi Craig

I had originally intended to make the lower half removable but looking at it I have decided not to bother. I am leaving the lower open so do not think it needs to be removable. The access to the engine mount screws looks ok and also the screws for the mount if it has to be removed for any reason.

Cheers

Peter

16/02/2016 16:51:11

Progress today. Have made a start on the cowl area. I decided to use a 21/4 inch spinner as it seems to suit nicely. Also I am making the cowl much in line with the original by PM.  The photos below give an idea of where I'm heading basically using the TLAR method wink . Not finished yet but getting there. It is not finally shaped yet. You can see roughly where there will be a cut out for the exhaust.

img_5034.jpg

This underview shows that I have elected to have it mainly open for practical reasons.

img_5036.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 16/02/2016 16:52:21

Edited By Low pass Pete on 16/02/2016 16:53:39

16/02/2016 13:17:13

Hi Peter

Werewolf reminded me of my first low winger a Gangster 52 in many respects expect that it flies much bettersmiley.

Peter (Low Pass)

Thread: David Boddington 48" Chilton DW1
16/02/2016 08:23:50

Would DB Sport and scale be able to help on this?

Pete

16/02/2016 08:17:47

Hi John

Yep moving along ok. Looking at the cowl area later today. The wings are pretty much done and just need final sanding and hinges etc.

Peter

16/02/2016 07:40:09

hi there Tony

Concur with Craig. Make sure however the balsa is hard and not warped. Spruce could be used as an alternative if reqd. My wing uses balsa and looks to be very strong and light.

Best wishes and enjoy your build.

Peter

Thread: Just another Ballerina
12/02/2016 09:36:01

Chris your cockpit looks great. I have been scratching my head how to approach the combing. I had thought of using split fuel tubing painted once fitted. In the past I have used electric flex outer sheath as well. The chamois is a brilliant idea.

I have also been searching for some suitable pilots. The choice these days is not really great unless you want something that looks lifeless. I recall there was a company called Petes Pilots that had some good product but sadley no more.

Peter

Thread: Hi-Noob builder thinking about making a IC Ballerina
11/02/2016 09:18:16

or perhaps this from DB Sport and scale and it has ribs available.

**LINK**

Edited By Low pass Pete on 11/02/2016 09:19:16

11/02/2016 09:09:50

Hi two six

Have you flown a low winger before?

Try a kit such as a DB Sport and Scale Mascot as a first build. **LINK** or perhaps a Sky40 from Tony Nijhuis. The 35 should be ok for the Mascot but perhaps not the Sky40.

Then build Ballerina as a longer time 2nd project. She really is nice to build and a credit to Pete Miller. I'm really pleased with mine.

Hope that helps

08/02/2016 17:16:23

Just to add some comment ref wing. I am very pleased how this is turning out. Seems light and strong. Pete Millers method is great. I built a Pete Miller Werewolf a while back and that was great also.

08/02/2016 17:13:38

Have been somewhat busy recently so have not been able to do updates. However here is my progress. Wing is substationally completed with servos sorted and tip nearing completionimg_5027.jpg

Here is a shot of wing tip

img_5031.jpg

img_5030.jpg

Wing servo are being used. They have inherited some parts from a model that re-kitted itself last yearsmiley

Fuz is coming along now. Progress was held by wing.

Used a dummy cut down 1/4 sheet to fill gap when adding and shaping fillets at tail. Cowling area will be next. More balsa dust and shavingswink

img_5025.jpg

img_5026.jpg

Thread: Air Day from 1971 - RAF Chivenor North Devon UK
07/02/2016 07:22:38

They are detonation cords designed to shatter the canopy as ejection is initiated.

Fabulous film which brings back so many memories. I may well have actually been at that show as I lived in North Devon (Barnstaple) at the time but had joined the RAF and was stationed at RAF Lyneham . I would have been at the show with my future wife who lived in nearby Braunton. I have some old slides of one of the Chivenor shows but do not recall which one at the moment. The slides are in the loft so will did them out to see it the was the show I went to. I recall the 229 formation well. I doubt if the current RAF could put up enough aircraft to repeat such a spectaclesad

The lazy runway was filled a line of all the show aircraft which was pretty fantastic. The show I went to displayed the last Gloster Javalin flying, from I think Boscome Down. it was in a red/white livery and now resides in the Duxford museum.

Happy memories indeed. Chivenor is very quiet these days, it is now a Royal marine base.

Thread: Craig's first build Ballerina
03/02/2016 15:39:57

Craig

I will be using a red SLEC tank. That fits just fine.

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 03/02/2016 15:49:34

Thread: Andys 120% ballerina
01/02/2016 07:31:42

Chris

I am also using a 52 4 stroke and at an early stage it does look as if it could be nose heavy. I am considering on installing a battery box in the rear lower fuselage to negate having to use weights at the rear. If it proves not to be nose heavy then I can simply put install the battery forward and not locate it in the box.

Pete

Thread: What sport model build?
01/02/2016 07:24:16

Super Sportster for me, perhaps with engine inverted? (It does resemble a large Ballerina).

Pete

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!