By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Low pass Pete

Here is a list of all the postings Low pass Pete has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Low pass Petes Mass Build thread - Renaissance
14/03/2019 17:18:21

Progress is going well on the Fus. No real issues noted so far. Instrument panel has been mounted. I have used some dials that came yonks ago free on a copy of RCM&E. I'm running out so come on mag how about some more please. As you can see I have gone for 90deg engine mount as per plan.

img_6376.jpg

img_6377.jpg

Thread: Jim build thread
10/03/2019 21:35:02

Ref F2 and 2A. These are laminated to align the wing dowel holes and 2A is 1/8 in wider each side. I have just put a slot onto the fuz doubler to provide a keyway for 2A. This helps to hold the assembly in place.

I have also fitted some additional 1/2 in square behind F1 to give a more positive location. I am using a 62 4 stroke so I feel it wise to beef up some areas accordingly. I have also revised the tank floor as I intend not to have a tank hatch but fit the fuel tank from the rear through F2 Not having a hatch will mean more strength.

Hope that is useful.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: Buddie's build thread
10/03/2019 21:17:05

Hi Peter, welcome to the Mass Build. This is my third one and have been building over a number of years. Golden rule, Measure twice Cut once!!! Hope u enjoy the build. It is far more rewarding than assembling an ARTF model.

What power do you think that you will use?  I will be fitting an OS62 4 stroke.

Best regards

Peter (Low Pass Pete)

Edited By Low pass Pete on 10/03/2019 21:41:30

Thread: Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk
10/03/2019 06:06:11

Hi Danny.

C of G on mine is set as per build instructions (130mm). Have not actually weighed her but she needed no ballast. Receiver battery was mounted on the plate just rear of the fuel tank. I swopped the kit fuel tank for a Dubro one. Also I have a small 2s Lipo fitted to supply the landing lights with an electronic switch.  Otherwise as per kit. save for a repaint on the kit supplied pilots to improve their look.  They were not the best but do look better now.

wink

Chris Bott also has a Forum post ref C of G by the way.

Cheers

Peter

img_6375.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 10/03/2019 06:06:52

Edited By Low pass Pete on 10/03/2019 06:08:29

Edited By Low pass Pete on 10/03/2019 06:11:45

Thread: Chipmunk C of G
10/03/2019 05:55:01

I have flown my Seagull 80in Chippy with C of G at 130mm as per build instructions and she seems to fly well with it at this. Mine has an OS 120 upfront and with flaps fully deployed there is very little trim change.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk
09/03/2019 06:36:51

Good day everyone. I have just completed and flown my Seagull Chippy. Mine has an OS120 4 stroke for power with a just Engines turbo Header for exhaust.

I balanced her as per plan. Virtually no trim required on test flight at all. Looks to be a super flyer and only needs the power of the 120 very little of the time. I found no issue at all with weight of tail but I suppose if going electric it may well be more of an issue.

I am impressed with the flying qualities of the aircraft and deploying the flaps brings virtually no trim change which was very surprising.

The aircraft will fly nicely at a more scale speed.

Best Regards

Peter

Thread: Dave Burton (BEB)
07/03/2019 07:02:31

A great loss indeed. I had never met Dave but had followed many of his posts especially on the 2016/7 mass build threads. My condolences to his family.

RIB BEB

LPP

Thread: Tony Oneilll Renaissance
07/03/2019 06:40:15

Great progress Tony. Just love the control stick. Fresh from the forest maybe  Looks as if you are building in your loft so you model is already skywards

smiley

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 07/03/2019 06:45:26

Thread: 2019 Mass Build
06/03/2019 06:48:13

Nice ruler Chriswink.  You can't have enough good tools.

LPP

Edited By Low pass Pete on 06/03/2019 06:49:15

06/03/2019 06:45:24
Posted by Chris Walby on 05/03/2019 18:13:54:

Hi LPP,

Taking your suggestion I think you are right that the centre line is not shown on the drawing.

If I take the various dihedral braces + the dowel plate and derive a new centre line then things look okay.

20190305_174424.jpg

Proof that we are correct is given by measuring the new wing span and calculating the with the wing dihedral of 3 degrees comes up with a wingspan of 54.09 inch.

As the model is advertised as 54 inch I am happy we are close enough!

Now next problem is that the small brace is not long enough to reach the second inboard rib so I am thinking of just moving the rib in a bit as per photo. Can anyone see a problem with that as I could just make a longer brace?

Edited By Chris Walby on 05/03/2019 18:26:54

Looks like a plan Chris, well a slightly modified one anyway. Good job.smiley

Peter

05/03/2019 13:55:36
Posted by Chris Walby on 05/03/2019 13:10:57:

Hi LPP,

I thought II had measured from wingtip to dotted line and the wingspan was about right!

I'll redraw it tonight with the correct wing dihedral and see if it comes out where you indicate on your photo, no doubt you are right.

Good job this is a mass build I would have made even more mistakes than normal wink

Proves the point I made earlier Chris ref value of mass builds. Measure twice cut once I say again.

Cheers

Peter

05/03/2019 09:15:32

I am certain that the dotted line is now NOT the centreline of the wing centre section. I think it is actually not shown as such but can be plotted at the end of the spars.

Laying my parts out supports this theory

img_6373.jpg

Thread: JR resurrection?
05/03/2019 05:22:26

I have jumped back to Futaba now. I have a JR XG8 which has been great but the price of new receivers (if you can get them) was getting excessive. I feel I made a wise decision.

Radiolink's new products look tempting but are so new to the scene and raise the question will they be reliable and available in the long term. Time will tell.

Cheers

Peter

05/03/2019 05:06:23

Ref anomalies on wing build. This why in my opinion the Mass Builds are so useful and good interaction. The feedback via this Forum is great and we all hopefully end up with a great model which may not be exactly the same but as a result of some hard work and thought regarding plans etc. look and fly well.

I have never designed my own model to date but this is now my third Mass build and I had similar small queries much as Chris has found on the other ones. Free plans sometime do not seem to be transcribed as per the original designer intended as the plans are drawn up by others for print. I'm sure Peter Miller would agree with me on this as the Ballerina plans (MB 2016) had some small issues. Ballerina was however a very successful Mass Build.  I converted Skywriter (MB 2017) to IC power and have a super sport biplane.

Happy building everyone.

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 05/03/2019 05:09:09

05/03/2019 04:23:13

Chris you may have a point. A very quick look at this early hour suggests that the dotted line on the plan for the wing centre line may be incorrectly drawn at the least. We need to correctly establish what the problem is before we assemble the wing.  My gut feeling is that the main brace may also be long.  It would not be the first time to have anomalies on the plans and also the cut parts as well.

Would be best to check via the designer Lyndsey Todd if possible. I will do some more detailed measurements later if possible today.

Best regards

Peter

PS  if you take a look at the build instructions you can see that when Lyndsey built the original the main brace did not meet the No 2 rib.  That picture also confirms that 11 ribs per wing half is correct.  Also I would expect that if the dimensions of the 2 dowel locating parts for the front of the wing align with holes in F2 then this would be a good guide to the final correct dimensions of wing centre section between the first rib on each wing half,  Hope that makes sense.

Edited By Low pass Pete on 05/03/2019 04:30:42

Edited By Low pass Pete on 05/03/2019 04:38:05

Edited By Low pass Pete on 05/03/2019 04:39:11

04/03/2019 19:35:47

I agree Chris. Plan shows 11 each per wing. The parts supplied from SARIK are 24 ribs so there are 2 extra ones. I had already considered making an extra one for the centre joint of the 2 wing halves so I will be able to use these extras on the centre line.

Chris I think there are in total 3 main ply plates that show dihedral.  2 with holes for wing dowels which are different lengths and the main one which will install by the ribs.  Don't cut anything until you are sure of dimensions.

Remember measure twice and cut once, or u could be sorry.

.smiley

Edited By Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 19:40:35

Thread: Low pass Petes Mass Build thread - Renaissance
04/03/2019 19:25:10

Progress so far.

Basic side fuz underway. I have decided to revert to engine as per plan i.e. 90 deg. F1 is moving about 1cm rearwards. Therefore the tank floor has bee trimmed to suit. The servo floor will be trimmed to allow fuel tank to be fitted/removed to the rear and not via top hatch. which will be made permenant fit and non removable.  I feel that will add strength to the fuz and with a 4 stroke that is no bad thing.

Trial run to see how this works shown below.

img_6371.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 04/03/2019 19:27:16

04/03/2019 19:13:06

That looks great Tony. Can I send you my panel for finishing pleasewink Are those Pin Heads perchance?

Cheers

Peter

04/03/2019 14:33:02

To find the build instructions Search "Renaissance" using Search this Site. Also you will find Lindsey Todd's original build blog on the prototype.

Very helpful.

Best Regards

Peter

04/03/2019 14:09:56

There is a very useful build article available on the rcm and site.

Shows centre section of wing.

20190304_140355.jpg

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Subscribe now
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!