By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RB

Here is a list of all the postings RB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Disaster
08/11/2013 10:31:48

LOL, the standard rebuttal; and the 'un-explained crashes go on!'

08/11/2013 09:02:01

For what its worth; I have learned very quickly on these forums/posts that there are loads of guys who will criticise everything apart from Spektrum/DSM2/DSMX. They will blame anything and everything rather than their beloved 'system'. Spektrum is flawed and it has numerous 'issues' most of which result in this outcome; the bottom line is that even the cheapest 35mhz system does not 'depend' on users knowing its deficiencies for reliability (RX low voltage / aerial position / RX data buffer over run / faulty RF output to name but 4!) Horizon hobbies have grown an army of supporters / fanatics by their policy of unquestioned free replacement/ upgrade so don't be surprised by their vitriol; even the best Spektrum set ups randomly fall out of the sky (just check internet reports by some of the best display pilots). So do yourself a favour,buy another system before flying again (a £40 35mhz cheap set is fine for reliability/range).

I know all the why's and wherefores so to the Spekky disciples don't waste your time I have seen too many nice planes pay the price! Oh and it doesn't matter whether you use chinese clone receivers many of the Spek OEM RX's are worse!

Thread: LMA at Gaydon 2013
28/10/2013 19:10:28

Not sure what I expected but came away feeling like I had spent £10 to visit half a dozen model shops that were crowded, hot and getting a bit smelly (with all of the 'men of a certain age' shuffling about), there seemed to be very few if any genuine show offers; the models whilst fascinating were irrelevant to my model making aspirations and held little interest as they were static and not in their true element. The museum itself harks back to a golden age of GB motoring excellence that truly never was and is actually best forgotten. The food and beverages were hugely overpriced and the entry pricing was confused and did not seem to be 'as advertised'. My opinion is that it is 'one to miss' and certainly not worth travelling any distance for, actually, the main event seemed to be the Indian F1 GP which was screened on large tv's in virtually every room. This is plainly the wrong sort of venue for large RC models (a series of inter connected small rooms); all in all very disappointing.

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
22/10/2013 08:29:46

Had mine for about 3 weeks and installed 6 receivers in different planes, all good so far. RSSI telemetry on audio via a switch has re-built my confidence after losing 3 planes to faulty radio equipment (Spektrum).

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 22/10/2013 08:48:13

Thread: Crosswind + Tip stall + Pilot error =
21/10/2013 20:13:31

Looks like a very typical 'Spektrum' crash to me!

Thread: Wanted vintage model airframes for restoration / refurb
20/06/2013 19:54:26

DD, hi

Its only a (300W) Motor A2814-8T + 40A ESC + 3s 2200 mAh lipo and it cruises at a third throttle (12 to 15 min flights possible) My mate has a Saito 45 in his and again it fly's beautifully on less than half power, so I reckon a .60 would be ott. In truth it is so much better with a 4 stroke in the front but electrics are sooooo clean! and the models stay pristine!

Thanks for the compliment, appreciated.

Rob B

Edited By Rob Blair on 20/06/2013 19:59:42

20/06/2013 19:18:57

Couple more pictures for you DD.

scorp1.jpg

p1010539.jpg

p1010542.jpg

Hope that helps

Rob B

20/06/2013 19:06:13

DD, hi

Here are a couple of pictures of the Scorpion

scorp.jpg

mm and scorp.jpg

Cheers

Rob B

20/06/2013 18:50:56

Hi guys,

Having recently retired and having restored a Majestic Major and Super Scorpion I am really keen to find some more airframes including another MM and SS I am really interested in any of the Ben Buckle types and Southerner 60 etc. Hope some one can help.

Rob B

Edited By Rob Blair on 20/06/2013 18:51:51

Thread: Looking for a vintage model or two
20/06/2013 16:28:55

Steve, hi

Thanks for the welcome! and the great advice, I will put a wanted ad on the site shortly. I have tried this with the BMFA in the past but I find the trouble with the BMFA and ebay is that sellers often stick an old clapped out engine (usually a gummed up two stroke) onto an interesting airframe then ask mega money or are looking for new (BB) kit price or more! its always risky restoring as sometimes the oil and twists have just gone too far and you can't really tell until all the covering is off. The other thing thats become more of an issue in recent times is the cost of doing a round trip of 100 plus miles to view someyhing that as you say "can only be improved with the aid of a lighted match" I thought that perhaps I could reach out to real modellers on here who might have as you say a model or two in the hopefully dry loft.

Cheers

Rob B

Thread: mini super 60 3 channel jobby
20/06/2013 16:10:21

Have you still got the Mini Super for sale I would be interested

Rob B

Thread: Looking for a vintage model or two
20/06/2013 15:58:55

Thanks Olly, the old ones always fly the best!

20/06/2013 15:54:14

Many thanks Pete, I'm really hoping to add a Southerner 60 or similar to my fleet, I really enjoy the days at Middle Wallop and Cocklebarrow it takes me back to my younger days befor propo radio! Hopefully someone might like to see one of their models given a new lease of life!

20/06/2013 15:35:21

My pics, it works!

mm1.jpg

mm2.jpg

scorp.jpg

mm and scorp.jpg

20/06/2013 15:32:17

Many thanks Ernie but I really have a passion for restoring! I have a fascination with getting old models with obvious history back into the air; and it has to be said that friends who have built BB kits all consistently say they might just as well have got the plan and selected their own wood.

20/06/2013 15:25:07

Pete, hi

Many thanks for your warm welcome! I do keep a watchful eye on both of those sites but in recent times I have not seen many vintage models.

I am currently trying to figure out how to post pictures!

Rob B

20/06/2013 12:15:33

Hi guys,

Having recently retired and having restored a Majestic Major and Super Scorpion I am really keen to find some more airframes including another MM and SS I am really interested in any of the Ben Buckle types and Southerner 60 etc. Hope some can help.

Rob

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us