By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Outrunner

Here is a list of all the postings Outrunner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FrSky Taranis with 4 in 1 module
26/01/2021 20:47:23
Posted by MattyB on 26/01/2021 16:09:28:
Posted by Outrunner on 26/01/2021 15:41:43:

I have cracked and ordered a TX16 too, for me the SE version as I'd rather have the slightly increased range than the larger number of protocols. I don;t really need anew TX per se, but having just got into indoor FPV quads (Tiny Whoops) I jsut can't get on with flying them mode 1 (which is how I fly fixed wing models). As I have only had a single TX since buying my original X9D Taranis this is my first new radiop for about 8 years...

Quite a bargain at just over £80, interesting to see how you get on with it. Why do want increased range for indoor flying?

Phil

26/01/2021 15:41:43

Thank you MattyB. I have been following RobK's thread but as we were coming in coming in from different angles I started another thread for my own question. Although I changed my mind and also decided to go Radiomaster too. Mine should arrive later this week.

I watched the Open Tx 2.0 and beyond last night, very informative. I will watch more of the series tonight.

Cheers

Phil

26/01/2021 15:21:35

Decision made. I've ordered a Radiomaster 16S with hall effect gimbals. In the end I decided to take the lower cost route into open Tx withe the Radiomaster. I convinced myself that if Open Tx didn't work out for me I haven't spent several hundred pounds of a shiny Horus. I had chat with Mike at HobbyRC who sells both Frsky and Radiomaster advised me that the Radiomaster was the best for my purposes.

I also wanted to order a Frsky G-RX8 receiver with a built in vario but they are out of stock, hopefully should be here in a couple of weeks.

Thank you all for your help and comments they been very helpful. I will report back later with an update to how I get on.

Now I have to download Open Tx companion and start learning open Tx. Wish me luck.

Phil

26/01/2021 10:02:47

Thank again everyone for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Brian, I live near Cambridge, nowhere near Crawley.

Still undecided, I could still order a Radiomaster for a low cost way to test the Open Tx water. Then I could get a X9D SE 2019 that has the hall effect gimbals. I do like the Horus but I'm worried that it's might be a little too heavy to hand hold comfortably, again I would really like to try before I buy. Also the Horus will be stretching my budget but I'm willing to stretch it if that's the one I decide I need.

I'm going to look at the Radiomaster Tx16 again as it's such a bargain price.

Thanks again

Phil.

25/01/2021 22:49:26
Posted by Brian Lambert on 25/01/2021 21:53:54:

Outrunner Could I ask why the taranus instead of the Radiomaster TX16?

Brian, good question, not sure how well I can answer it. The TX16 looks great value for money and it has the built in multiprotocol module. In an ideal world I world go into my model and compare the different radios, but as you that is not going to happen with Covid 19 and the lack of local model shops.

So I have to rely on You Tube and forums like this and the message I get is the TX16 is good but does not have the build quality of my present Hitec Aurora or FrSky. FrSky have a lot of users out there and spare parts and upgrade seem to be easy to find.

There are other maybe minor points but at the end of the day I think I prefer the Taranis/Horus. I like value for money but I don't object paying more for good quality. I'm not saying the TX16 is not good quality but I think the Taranis suits my needs better.

Thank you all for your comments, keep them coming.

I just need to decide Taranis or Horus...

25/01/2021 21:11:55
Posted by David Hall 9 on 25/01/2021 20:27:07:
Posted by Outrunner on 25/01/2021 13:02:09:

David. Thank you for your input, nice to hear someone else is successfully using a similar setup to what I'm thinking of.

Hitec telemetry receivers don't give a RSSI value but they give me a constant readout of flight pack voltage (I only fly electric) also I have a Vario connected to one receiver so I hope that will work.

I've just about made the decision to go and order a Taranis, so there could be a lot more questions...

Thank you all

Phil

Please let us know if you do get a Taranis. I'd be interested if it will operate valid telemetry without an RSSI input.

Edited By David Hall 9 on 25/01/2021 20:28:41

David, I will let you know how I get on with telemetry when I get a Hitec receiver bound to the transmitter.

I've decided with the help of this forum (thanks guys) to go down the FrSky/4 in 1 module route but I'm debating with myself if I should order a Taranis or Horus 10........decisions decisions.

Phil

25/01/2021 13:02:09

David. Thank you for your input, nice to hear someone else is successfully using a similar setup to what I'm thinking of.

Hitec telemetry receivers don't give a RSSI value but they give me a constant readout of flight pack voltage (I only fly electric) also I have a Vario connected to one receiver so I hope that will work.

I've just about made the decision to go and order a Taranis, so there could be a lot more questions...

Thank you all

Phil

25/01/2021 11:44:05

Hi Gary

Sounds good. Do you also get telemetry data via the module?

Many thanks.

Phil.

25/01/2021 09:26:44

Hello,I have a Hitec Aurora 9 for about 10 years now and love the system, but as we know Hitec have stopped making transmitters and I'm thinking of future proofing myself. I will need a couple of new receivers this year and I'm reluctant to by any more Hitec receivers in case my Aurora dies and I have nothing to use them with.

I also have a few Spektrum receivers that I use on a Spektrum DX6i g1, works perfectly.

I've considered a Radiomaster TX16 but from what I've read I don't think it's up quite the build quality and "feel" of my Aurora. I would like to go to a shop and look at one but that's not an option at the moment.

So, what I'm thinking of is a Taranis XD9 Plus 2019 fitted with a 4 in 1 module. When I buy new receivers I will buy FrSky but use the module so that I can keep my existing receivers.

My question is can I switch between receivers easily when switching over to a different model or do I have to dive into the programming to switch between Hitec and FrSky?

I understand I will have to learn open Tx but with lockdown I have plenty of time!

T9 have the Taranis X9 Plus 2019 complete with an R8 Archer Pro for £186 (plus battery) so quite a cost effective way to get started

Any thoughts if this is a good plan?

Phil.

Thread: Precedent T180
18/01/2021 16:40:58
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 18/01/2021 15:59:31:

Precedent T180 on Ebay: Unbuilt T180 kit

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 18/01/2021 16:00:24

Decent starting price too.

Phil

Thread: Flying with Spectacles
09/01/2021 22:09:54

Hi Nigel. I've been wearing varifocals for a few years now. They are a bit weird at first but persevere for a while and you get used to them. They are much better than bi-focals or even worse faffing about swapping glasses.

Most opticians will replace them if you really can't get on with them, so give them a try you will never give them back.

Phil

Thread: What did Santa bring ?
26/12/2020 16:54:46

AngelWings Pug DLG smiley

Phil

Thread: Alternatives to Litespan?
29/11/2020 19:48:53

Tissue over Mylar. Better than Litespan, better shrinkage and lighter than doped tissue. I put the tissue on with the cheapest water based varnish I can find, don't think it will be fuel proof though, just finish with your favourite fuel proofer if you need to use an oily engine.

Phil.

Edited By Outrunner on 29/11/2020 19:49:40

Thread: Modelflying.co.uk platform migration plans, a 'heads-up' for everyone
11/11/2020 21:12:48

Can you get rid of the double post habit of this forum!

10/11/2020 20:01:45

Make it easier to post pictures and pictures the right way up.

Thread: Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang
05/11/2020 12:04:53
Posted by Martian on 04/11/2020 20:30:32:

I,m laying claim to Tall in the Saddle and original Tuskegee red tail

Hi Martian

One of my favourites too, I photographed her at Old Warden, October 2016

p51 tall in the saddle.jpg

Thread: Plan protection film
01/10/2020 09:45:35

I use the backing from covering film. It's "free"

Phil.

Thread: Tissue over Doculam covering for undercambered wings
20/07/2020 22:12:49

I tissued over doculam earlier this year when I refurbished my Junior 60. I brushed on thinned Balsaloc along all the ribs, leading and trailing edges. Stuck perfectly even after shrinking.

Phil

Thread: Junior 60 Cowl
24/06/2020 20:20:22

Hi SW here's my take on electrifying a J60. When I first built the model about 25 years ago it was powered by a OS26 FS, then I converted it to electric with a geared brushed motor and Ni-cads but it was a pain to remove the wing and swap batteries. So after languishing in the loft for many years I updated it this year to brushless motor and lipo batteries. The 1500ma pack slides in just behind the motor and the top of the cowl is held with a couple of cowl pegs and magnets. Flys a dream.

Phil.

img_20200624_195350.jpgimg_20200624_195505.jpg

img_20200624_195420.jpg

Thread: British Nats in the 60s
13/06/2020 21:39:54

Thanks for sharing Peter, great film. Bit scary though, lots of people dodging aeroplanes! Taking off towards a crowd seemed to be order of the day and the pylon racing looked like it was around the crowd! Interesting stuff.

Phil.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Subscribe now
Jetworks
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!