By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Outrunner

Here is a list of all the postings Outrunner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What are your three favourite war movies?
19/10/2019 21:00:30

Battle of Britain

The cruel sea

Dambusters

Deer Hunter

633 Squadron

Must be more. Oh yes Das Boot

Phil.

Edited By Outrunner on 19/10/2019 21:13:27

Thread: Jet Packs
17/10/2019 22:42:47

Just watched it too, the rocket pack was just ever so scarry, especially when the whole thing nearly went bang full of hydrogen peroxide on his back!!!!!!

Phil.

Edited By Outrunner on 17/10/2019 22:43:16

Thread: New build rubber powered balsa
17/10/2019 10:39:59

When I was a kid I too built several KK Ajax and Senator models. I don't remember having problems covering them with tissue, I used to slap tissue paste over everything and on went the tissue, shrink with water and lots of dope, ah the smell!

These day I cover with mylar, then with wet tissue and a couple on thinned coats of water based varnish.

Phil.

Thread: LMA Elvington show 2019
13/10/2019 08:01:38
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 12/10/2019 21:26:40:

Slightly puzzled by "Blair RAF Se5a kit". I built a Flair Se5a few years back but a Blair is a new one on me. I gess it won't be the one I built if it was priced at £40.

Glad the weather was OK. It wasn't too bad at home about 12 miles east of Ashbourne. I'd scheduled another workshop session on my BC Pup but then I wondered if I should have scheduled a day's flying instead.

Geoff

I think Chris probably meant "Belair".

Phil.

Thread: Binding to orange Rx
05/08/2019 08:59:14

Pete. Sorry to be a pedant but the original DSM sets did reach these shores I had one of the DX6 sets that Al's flogged off cheap with the arrival of DSM-2. It worked OK but it was difficult to bind (sounds familiar) and took an age to reconnect if the signal was lost, even longer than the earlier DSM-2 receivers, eek!

I sold the TX quite quickly for the same as what I paid for it and replaced with a DX6i. I still have the DSM receiver but I only used it in boats but given up with that as it only connected to the transmitter when it felt like it.

Phil.

Thread: Oracover Easycover Sold As Seconds
26/07/2019 21:00:25

I must be different then? Not having problems with it. 😳

Phil.

Thread: Do you have one this big!
26/07/2019 20:57:37

My. That's a mighty big one! Got lots of wires coming out of it?

Phil.

Thread: Oracover Easycover Sold As Seconds
26/07/2019 19:37:24

Dai, I used most of a roll of silver Easycoat seconds, I had no problems at all with it and couldn't work out why it was a second.

Phil.

Thread: Battery
25/07/2019 11:50:12

Back in the days when used to field charge (nicads) I used to use old car batteries, when they ran out of puff down the dump they went, then onto the next ex car battery. These days I take a bunch of charged lipo''s and only bench charge.

Phil.

Thread: Flair Fokker D.VII Build
19/07/2019 21:26:25
Posted by Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 21:05:31:

Vinegar Dave

You didn't need to go to America to see genuine WW1 aircraft. There is a whole collection of them at the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire. They have quite a few rare examples too, such as a 1917 Bristol Fighter, still in full flying trim. It has the oldest Rolls Royce aero engine still flying anywhere in the world. There's a nice 1909 Bleriot too, plus a 1912 Blackburn Monoplane, all fully airworthy.......plus many others. They have an Me 163 Komet in there as well. There are just three of those left on the planet......

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 21:07:23

They have a bit of a Me 163 Me163 Komet... But they have a complete airworthy DH88 Comet though...

Phil

Thread: Good news thread.
14/07/2019 21:53:59

What a game!!!! England world champions at one day cricket, it was the most tense, thrilling game of anything I've seen. Ever.

Thread: Tony Nijhuis Harvard - Build Log
03/07/2019 22:04:31
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 03/07/2019 20:19:14:

I just love that rotary

Rotary?!! In a Harvard! Maybe a radial.

Phil.

Thread: Laminating film prior to silk and dope
05/06/2019 15:37:07

I have covered a couple of models with tissue over mylar. I can't remember how thick the mylar was but it came from free flight supplies, very cheap. First I put some thinned balsalock on the balsa framework, then attach the mylar all around the edges using a covering iron, shrink the mylar. The tissue was sprayed with water then put over the mylar one panel at a time brushing on water based varnish from B&Q when dry use wet and dry to trim off edges then do next panel. Once coveref give another coat of thinned varnish, job done.

No dope was used only cheap water based varnish, no smells and brushes clean in water. The covering was very easy to do even though you are doing two covering jobs on one model. It's light and puncture proof.

Phil.

Thread: Motor pulsing
30/04/2019 21:50:48

As above, probably a bad connection to one of the motor wires. Had it happen a couple of times, the first time it was intermittent, the heat shrink was the only thing holding the connector on the end on the wire.

Phil.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
28/04/2019 08:01:46
Posted by Percy Verance on 28/04/2019 06:53:53:

Absolutely Kim, a done deal. We've simply been sidelined, as we don't/won't feature in the grand scheme of things. HS2, major airport expansions, the need to boost tourism and trade in the wake of Brexit, future housebuilding programmes. Nope, I'm afraid we're stuffed, and they want us gone. Simple as. And Failing Grayling? Yep, this has all the hallmarks of one of his inept foul-ups. Sadly, I think we're all about to feature in the final chapter of model flying as we know it in the UK.......This is but the beginning. 5 years, we'll be gone. And what of the BMFA with it's new National Centre, intended ( they said) to raise the profile of the Sport? Well that doesn't appear to have worked as they've simply been ignored, as have the other National bodies whom represent the sport.

And multirotor retailers? They wont give a toot. They'll keep piling 'em up on the shelf as long as they keep flying off them. And they'll keep getting flown in all the ridiculous most unsuitable places they are now by idiots whom have fewer brain cells than they were born with.

And as John points out above, shafted again with the fee. I guess that's par for the course, as we seem to end up paying more for most things here. That said, the boat kit I ordered yesterday from RBC kits seems reasonable enough at under 90 euros for an almost 3 foot long cabin cruiser. The quality ought to be good if it's as well done as RBC's model aircraft kits. We'll see.......

The boat by the way, is a Vic Smeed designed Moonglow. Once a very popular model I believe.

Edited By Percy Verance on 28/04/2019 07:24:23

Boats will have to be registered next, then trains, all dangerous you know.

Phil. Aeromodeller, boat modeller, garden Railway modeller.....

Thread: How do you buy your Balsa?
15/04/2019 18:26:38

Percy those saws are very nice, wish I had one but until I do it's a balsa stripper and a Stanley knife for the hard stuff.

I don't keep much wood in stock only buy when I have a plan to build. My local shop (Inwood) don't stock anywhere as much balsa as they used to so if possible I buy from Balsa Cabin or SLEC preferably at the NATS.

Don't buy in bulk or specials.

Phil.

15/04/2019 17:30:46
Posted by Percy Verance on 15/04/2019 13:45:58:

I always try to keep a plentiful supply in. Usually from Slec or Balsa Cabin.

I got this lot a couple of years or so back.......

nice-one-balsa-cabin.....jpg

The stock is depleting a bit so I'll be ordering more soon...... As will be seen, I don't buy much strip balsa. I cut my own using this.....

proxxon-saw.jpg

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/04/2019 13:47:47

Very posh. I use this to cut my stripwood......

15553455778901056965349.jpg

Thread: Smiley Problem
20/02/2019 22:12:10

Will it work on a black and white telly?

20/02/2019 20:47:20

Anybody seen the test card? It's disappeared from my telly crying

Thread: Mini/micro lathe
12/02/2019 21:10:43

Which lathe to buy question is a minefield a bit like the which transmitter is the best one to buy. Sorry I can't answer your question directly as I don't own a mini lathe, but I can recommend a good place to buy one from **LINK**

I have purchased tooling from Arc Euro and they are an excellent company to deal with. Have a search on the Model Engineer forum for Mini lathes, they have been discussed many times before. **LINK**

Phil.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us