By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Don Fry

Here is a list of all the postings Don Fry has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What is going on with Royal Mail ??????????
13/11/2018 10:37:41

Or try your hand at delivering up to 150 parcels a day. Soon kick the dog then.

Thread: Fixed or steerable tail wheel
11/11/2018 16:06:58
Posted by eflightray on 11/11/2018 15:01:46:

What about a free castoring tail wheel ?, no problems of the fixed one, and no problems of adding steering.

I've got a P40 with a castoring tail wheel. Nightmare (impossible) on the ground, to prevent it weather cocking.

A powerful rudder is good on my Flair DVII, tailskid, and it's a precise and easy aircraft on the ground, once you've got it stopped.

Thread: Foamies for beginners?
10/11/2018 17:37:07

I actually agree with Dave Hess. All he needs is a few lessons in presenting an argument wot don't wind up the opposition and he got it cracked.

I'll get back to my cooking.

Thread: Out of trim
10/11/2018 14:31:04

I too am grounded in freeflight. When I started in radio I used to throw it for a test glide. But you run out of puff and strength when the motor gets to 40 size.

And I wish I had not read that post about taking the stick springs out. It's in my head, and making me queasy.

Edited By Don Fry on 10/11/2018 14:34:45

10/11/2018 06:43:48

I once tried swapping the trim switches. But in the heat of the moment, putting in a bucket of down elevator trim, the motor stopped. Went back to normal.

Habits die hard. My car is left hand drive. My old one was right. And quite a few times got in to the wrong side.

09/11/2018 19:21:41

Pete, this thread is somwhat cerebral at present.

Don't get us going on the relative merits of rates, and exponential .

Thread: Which Set Should I buy
09/11/2018 18:49:49

Sorry people, where is this "argument" taking us. Both north of Watford Gap, and south of Watford Gap arguing they are the more poverty stricken. And can't afford the electronics for their toy planes.

And the answer is still, go down the local club, find a hand friendly transmitter, well supported in the club and buy one.

Thread: Out of trim
09/11/2018 15:50:59

I have to admit, to this day I dislike a lifting off a machine that wants to roll, and descend. To the point that, when I set up the elevator neutral, I am careful to err on the up side if in doubt. It's the coordination of holding it, and trying to shift trims that does my head in. I have been known to not bother, land it, trim in the right direction, and then have another go.

But bottom line, roll and dive, to me, is stressful.

Thread: Flair DR1 tail plane wood size
08/11/2018 21:43:49

I've got an offcut a bit bigger than that. But it's in France. So if there are no nearer donators, I can do. PM me if there is no other takers in 24 hours.

Thread: Flair Magnatilla setup?
08/11/2018 21:29:05

Seriously, get a stub of old pencil, and shove it through a pencil sharpener. Now, work out where a mechanic would maul it. Engine Bay, wing tips, tail. And rub with the pencil debris, emulating the mauling.

Rub in the direction of airflow over the wing and tail.

And it will look very used, and to your audience, very nice. Not scale but dirty.

Genuine scale winter mud on the wheels is treasured.

img_0504.jpg

Thread: fokker dri wing incedence
08/11/2018 21:10:21

I have a Flair Triplane . I no longer have the plans. Donated .

But, my undercarriage wing is parallel to the bottom wing. Fact, measured.

If you try to stall it, flying in a straight line. Straight line mind. It nods, and settles in a 40 degree decent , at full up, motor at tickover, at moderate flying straight line speed, and it's stable. It answers to aileron. Rolls.

Now bottom wing and middle wing are locked onto the fuselage,.

I think the top wing is not stalled. It has the aileron what still works.

Therefore I reckon the top wind has a small negative incidence to the rest of the wings.

I will try to establish to whom I donated the plans.

Thread: Flair Magnatilla setup?
08/11/2018 19:13:59

Give said pilot a REALY big scarf, it will distract to perfection on a low pass. Over 30 foot, who's got the eyes to complain.

Thread: Majestic Major (electric) build.
08/11/2018 17:58:29

Pecking order goes, "Your Majesty" simper, or "Your Imperial Majesty" .

One gets 40 odd shots, one gets 60 odd shots. In salute, not in the chest. Normally.

Thread: Which Set Should I buy
08/11/2018 17:52:20
Posted by SONNY MONKS on 08/11/2018 15:54:04:

not a spektrum lol,horus x10,much better quality for the price,and cheap receivers,futaba are good,but expensive receivers.

Boring,

08/11/2018 16:32:44

David, a slight reality check.

Your J60 used to be steered round the sky with a "servo" powered by an elastic band. And the elastic band was not particularly stressed by the experience. Now I suspect your current build would cause some stress to the elastic band. But would be still good to go. (Assumption, you got one that was not delivered from the factory in a non scrap condition, made just after morning tea break on a Tuesday)

Your cheap servo would do your Imperial Major.

Over engineered in the current build, being picky.

(Off topic, the rant is a quote. From a very senior bone surgeon I once taught to fly. On when to have Him working on you. And I never did detect a sense of humour in Him). Correct punctuation used. Good flyer.

07/11/2018 15:29:09

The only secret is drill the hole in the brass, and then adjust/shorten the length of the brass tube as desired. It's difficult to precisely put the hole in the correct place after the brass has been cut to correct length.

07/11/2018 15:13:52

Nigel, the order of assembly is washer, hole size as axle, followed by brass tube, which holds washer square. And both are soldered to axle. This arrangement acts as an inner stop for the wheel. The hole in the brass tube is distances from the stop washer by the width of the wheel plus thickness of an iner and outer thrust washer. The pin secures the outer thrust washer in place

img_0505.jpg

Edited By Don Fry on 07/11/2018 15:19:00

Thread: Fuel tank sizes
07/11/2018 14:41:05

Fly boy, I still use my great grandmothers planc . Ideal, and after use, flip it over and burn any debris off..

Cooler temperature than a welsh cake. Patience. You are looking at a slow melt, not a burnt plastic. But you know the temperature is getting there when you get hold of the tank, push down , and is squishes out a bit.

Bit of pedantcy. The planc the iron plate. A bara planc is a bread cooked on it. Or nowadays, cozweposh, oh it's naan bread darling.

A bit of old polypropylene rope will help get the planc temperature right. It melts a bit hotter than the tank, but close enough.

Thread: Plan of First Balsa Model Aircraft with IC Power
07/11/2018 13:12:55

Being picky, is it a scale model or a prototype/concept demonstrator

07/11/2018 12:50:02

David, re your half oz.

If you make your brass sleeve say 5 mm longer than the axle, drill the brass for a split pin, then you can retain the washers/wheels with the split pin, or a bit of soft wire works as well. Saving most of your half ounce by making the collets redundant. And your wheels don't fall off.

Not my idea, I think Flair made it common.

Those Kavan wheels look nice. How much? Don't have to answer, but I too will soon have the same need, and my patch surface is really abrasive.

Here's a photo of a DVII.

img_0504.jpg

Edited By Don Fry on 07/11/2018 12:57:31

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us