By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Don Fry

Here is a list of all the postings Don Fry has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rugby World Cup 2019.
19/09/2019 17:45:18

Looking on the news today, looking at the England players training, and the weights they were moving, and the size of them, and all the teams are doing the same, and I just pray we don't get anyone, any nation, seriously injured.

Who knows if we will get through John. But after the last one, I will sing for any Northern nation to the final.

Bit strange watching rugby at breakfast. But it's got to be done.

Beats covering my latest creation. Turning out hard work.

Thread: Warbird Flyers, highly tapered wings...
19/09/2019 12:11:46

Hank you Nigel. That makes some sense.

Thread: Club Mower.
19/09/2019 09:48:29

Gangster, cheers, the tears have now stopped. As I get older, as a semi retired sex God, my mind tends to rest on the cerebral side of the universe.

Anyway, it's all displacement activity, as I await the the important activities starting soon in Japan.

Edited By Don Fry on 19/09/2019 09:51:50

Thread: Flite Test Pietenpol won't run straight...
19/09/2019 06:47:25

Fit bigger wheels? HobbyKing do big hollow spoke jobs, very light.

Build a catapult/elastic launch frame. Can fit foot operated release pedals. Make from water pipe?

18/09/2019 20:14:34

A tail dragged has, with a counter clockwise prop, two forces screwing it to the left when you start the roll from stationary.

The first, is procession, the propellor, acting as a gyroscope, is pulled forward, out of line from its direction of travel. And it screws the aircraft to the left.

The second is torque.

The first disappears when you get the tail up. But until you get the tail up, and get some speed, the rudder does not work, and blast the motor open, to get wind past the rudder, and the torque does you.

The solution.

Up elevator. Advance the throttle, not slam, a lot of right rudder, let go of up elevator, the tail rises. And less rudder, as procession goes away. As it accelerates, the rudder comes off. Ease back elevator, and it's an aircraft.

Getting a tail dragger up is an art. And is easier if you don't apply too much power. Because the two screwing forces, procession and force, both increase if you use your available power.

But to do that, you have to be happy to fly close to the ground, then you don't have to use power to do the scalded cat take off.

18/09/2019 20:14:33

Double post tremor.

Edited By Don Fry on 18/09/2019 20:17:41

18/09/2019 15:46:04
Posted by gangster on 18/09/2019 13:01:35:

Ah the dear old Allen autocythe brings back great memories

Memories of an erotic nature? Tell more, we won't contact the Sun.

Thread: Ageing lipos!
18/09/2019 15:41:00

I've got a HobbyKing USB CHARGER. CHEAP.

Plug any 2-6s lipo, or any other li chemistry battery. It tells you the individual cell voltage. And it has a USB socket in the ther end. Currently running this I Pad.

has auto shut off, will not over discharge the lipo.

I would also second the use of old lipos for engine starters. I favour 4 s for 12 volt starters. I find it minimises switch welding.

18/09/2019 12:02:57

At least, wending and winding yer way, whistling of fair maids a swooning, when you call "excuse me" they will shift they dancing toes out of the way

Thread: Warbird Flyers, highly tapered wings...
18/09/2019 10:57:36

Am I missing something. Why does inboard flap deployment, effect tip stall characteristics?

Thread: Coupe Des Barons.
17/09/2019 18:37:48

David, I've never flown a Baron, and accept the upped power is not going to improve the handling.

But in the baguettes;

was I looking at a model with a REALY sensitive elevator

or pilots who were a bit anxious to get down to hight, were not happy with the resultant speed, and never got the thing flying straight and level at baguette hight.

I accept, you might get down to hight, and hit nowt, but you have to be down to hit anything.

Wilco, Google translate might serve.

Thread: push
17/09/2019 15:14:19

True, but I bet it's a dose of fun on a 53.

17/09/2019 14:51:47

I too have the scars of adjusting, in my case a pre Scnurl (spelling?) ported plain bearing 40. So a tidier to the power of the Irvine. When I had a 53 Irvine it was as big as ever I flew alone. I had eternal debates with myself as to wheather I could get to casualty if it bit me. And working behind the engine was tight. I ended up with a simple expedient, slow needle, stop engine, and adjust. Main needle, Ok with caution,

On a pusher, I would not touch those needles if it's running. Have you thought of the launch, a chuck, excepting one of those underhand discus affairs also brings digits to the slicer.

Thread: Laser Appreciation Society
16/09/2019 20:30:12

Respect Scott. That is a lot of work, and well done.

Thread: Coupe Des Barons.
16/09/2019 20:26:28

Just watched it. Barking mad. Tears.

16/09/2019 19:53:28

Or did they have a screw adjusted tail surface, a bit more negative for speed, without the drag of down elevator.

Thread: Defibrillator?
16/09/2019 19:45:58

But at least they don't see (usually) a years work, scattered in a debris field, across the patch.

But see the St Johns, get a good quorum trained in CPR, with the luxury of a defibrillator. They will come to you. I personally can't even think what it would be like to see a friend peg it without knowing the basics of keeping him going. At least then, even if you fail, and likely you may, you can say, I could do no more.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
16/09/2019 10:18:57

Steve, it is not the job of a politition to sign off recommendations. They direct the civil service where policy is going. Then sign off, if up to standard. Mind, caviat coming, Grayling has a consistent track record of not spotting non starters,and signing off the weird results of doctrine over pragmatism. I'm not blaming him, just pointing out, Failing is a nickname awarded by his fellow Conservative MPs.

Now I agree, if the EU had handled the issue of drones/model aircraft differently and more realistically, we would not have all the problems we have. But they aren't the people doing the laws. National governments are.

Compare and contrast my regime in France, aimed at integrating us into a system, by negotiation. No costs, easy software, a nice free online map telling me if I can fly where I am standing, and an adoption of transponders when light and cheap, not before.

I'm not saying I am out of the woods yet, but at least I am OK for the present.

16/09/2019 06:55:53

Conrad, why not take the easy conspiracy theory. Failing Grailing and Vere were totally, serially, and consistently useless. And from that point, if you employed an idiot you get an improvement.

In this case we have a new minister who is a person with a decent track record however.

Edited By Don Fry on 16/09/2019 07:20:26

14/09/2019 20:41:50

At the risk of being accused of being a moderator, there is a lot of combined knowledge on this site. I don't think it is a good idea to share any part of it in speculating on how to blow up an oil refinery.

Model aircraft are difficult. Stick to a challenge.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us