By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Don Fry

Here is a list of all the postings Don Fry has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Anyone used the Spektrum AR410 or 620 receivers ??
24/03/2020 15:13:42

In all fairness Chris, no holds, no frame loss, apx. half of the acceptable fades rate, is well within specification.

Trouble with this telemetry, while it's a boon, it's another source of anxiety.

Thread: 2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice
24/03/2020 15:03:09

Yep, I start rebuilding this tomorrow.

img_0903.jpg

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
24/03/2020 12:10:52

I've got a top end Dynatron 24 volt unit. Stuck a 5S battery on it. Wrists not up to the job, Schwarzenegger's wrists would not be up to the job.

I usually use a standard cheapie starter with a 4 s battery. Never had a peep of trouble with it. I have a small conjecture that a bit more voltage gets the motor spinning quicker from stalled, what gets the back EMF going, and the high current situation is more transitory.

Thread: 2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice
24/03/2020 11:26:32

Very nice Hillclimber. If not assembly demonstors, those elastic bands look a bit thin, and lacking number (4 to 6), for flight. There is a joyful part of flying called wing clacking, as the wing leading edge comes up under flight loads, and clacks back on the seat as the machine moves about, sometimes it falls off.

And everyone dances about with joy and laughter.

Thread: Anyone used the Spektrum AR410 or 620 receivers ??
24/03/2020 11:09:57

I've just about got done the restoration to flight of a Storch, exquisite work, not mine, built between 1977 to 1980. Part of the alterations is making it one channel per servo, and I need 7 channels. So the 1978 cutting edge technology Multiplex 6 channel receiver came out, and a modern 8 channel Spektrum unit went in.

80 grams came out, 8 grams went back in. Times change.

Thread: Covid 19
24/03/2020 09:28:40

That's my read Denis, restrictions will come and go until a vaccine system comes along, and off these things run to form, a series of vaccines to keep up with mutations.

Week one of lockdown done. Still sane. Still speaking to beloved. Just. Finish a 4 times stalled project today. Start the rebuild of a whoops moment tomorrow.

Keep breathing.

Edited By Don Fry on 24/03/2020 09:29:39

Thread: Wing and C of G
23/03/2020 19:34:34

If you have a trike, if the balance point is too far in front of the main wheels the launch goes, accelerate, bit of left rudder, pull back, pull further back, more, nose rears up, stalls. Don't go there.

How far? Not much

Thread: New model required: comments?
23/03/2020 13:28:02

I think out of the two, I'd go for the hyper Cub.

Reason, if it's a kit, with a set of bits from George, and some instructions, you follow the instructions and build it. It teaches you how these things go together, what components should weigh, order of work.

A plan, choose your wood, in that case choose propulsion system, convert to RC. That's a lot of steps to get right.

One thing you haven't said. Where would you like to end up in the hobby.

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
23/03/2020 10:25:15

Nah, South coast is a subspecies. I'm efete. They're strange.

Thread: New model required: comments?
22/03/2020 19:28:30

Double push twitch.

Edited By Don Fry on 22/03/2020 19:29:35

22/03/2020 19:28:27

I do believe that a plan built aircraft can take up time.

And your wallet will complain about the machinery and tools that will make the task easier. But all it needs is a blade, and a sanding block to finish the rough cuts.

Dont know your object of desire, but techniques like " sandwich rib cutting" make life easier.

Ups and downs, you sure? If it flies, it is your creation, that for sure.

22/03/2020 19:13:45

Didn't we all Peter. I first gave up when I was 10, 11, 12? Not even realy addicted Then a mate gave me one. I am free now, but that's a load of money, morning coughs, and that small worry at the back of the mind that the habit will still kill.

I still sniff the tail fumes of smokers. Nicer in memory than reality.

Thread: 6 Turning 4 Burning
22/03/2020 19:03:29

Query, 6 flaps, I assume three on each side, why is one servo worth the hassle. My braincell says a lot of mechanical set-up, no electronic help, no computers.

Thread: IC Engine Bearings...
22/03/2020 18:54:19

Cut out the onion rings.

22/03/2020 17:01:51

That's two, end of April PatMc, I most sincerely wish to get a post, I told you so you old idiot. And I will grovel.

I will be happy to learn that the statistitions of the world don't know their trade. Can't estimate death rates, confuse flu with other things. Don't know what exponential curves look like. As said before, this thing has not realy got into the world yet.

Please, no quips, lies, dammed lies etc. Statistics when removed from polititions is a tool of science.

Edited By Don Fry on 22/03/2020 17:02:31

22/03/2020 13:38:25

Eleven miles up river. Back of behond. Kidderminster nearest big town.

Thread: Manual for a three year old DX7
22/03/2020 13:33:48

On a cost basis it goes, pay postage to borrow/gift, download and print, download and store.

22/03/2020 13:03:45

My manual in English is, ignoring the guff at the front, and guff at the back, 38 pages long. The full manual is 180 pages, in 4 languages. And you will be referring to it for years.

Alternative, down load the file, and save it to the front screen of your computer. Now offhand, can't remember how to do that. Google, or a computer literate forumite will know.

22/03/2020 12:46:52

Cider country, Worcestershire, so an efete Southerner

22/03/2020 12:36:48

All I can say Peter, by the end of April, I sincerely hope you can say, I told you lot to calm down. That you and us panicky old scroats can still argue.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!