By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Guvnor

Here is a list of all the postings Guvnor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Weston Park 2019
16/06/2019 20:12:33

Went today (Sunday). Two gripes, stupid number of bodies standing around in front of the fence blocking the view, and secondly, by 1:00pm today, most of the pilots and their interesting models had departed, leaving us with endless 3D aerobatic displays.

Thread: Exponential for beginners?
01/05/2019 12:00:44

",I have driven most means of transport available, from tanks to light aircraft, and there is one thing they have all had in common. Their controls were always linear. "

Errr...

Some new cars have non linear FlyByWire steering.

Airbus airliners have non linear controls, as do most modern military aircraft...

Thread: Solarfilm
06/03/2019 13:55:55

"Lets hope someone had bought it and it will continue to produce."

I thought the machinery had been scrapped...?

Thread: Balsacraft Blenheim replacement canopy.
08/02/2019 14:59:17

Call Sarik - they may have the moulds...

Thread: BMFA SUBS
27/11/2018 20:31:12
Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 19:06:43:
Posted by Guvnor on 27/11/2018 15:40:38:

having failed to look for any urgent safety or technical notices

I wouldn't expect somebody wishing to promulgate "urgent safety or technical notices" to rely solely on a magazine that is published six times a year.

Steve

But thats partly what it's for. Go and ask the CAA...

27/11/2018 15:40:38

What worries me more than anything is the numbers of BMFA members who admit to binning the BMFA news as it comes through the door, evidently having failed to look for any urgent safety or technical notices. talk about reponsible flyers.

Thread: RAF Scampton to be sold
24/07/2018 16:33:14

1) All of the buildings on Scampton are listed, so any developer will have to preserve them.

2) The A15 will have to be straightened back out by any buyer - it's in the covenants.

3) There isn't a bottomless pit of money to preserve every wartime airfield.

4) Scampton has been run down for years - Labour tried to close it 10 years ago...

24/07/2018 16:14:44
Posted by Cuban8 on 24/07/2018 11:29:04:

Quote from someone who knows a thing or two.............

Air Chief Marshal Sir Michael Graydon, Chief of the Air Staff from 1992 to 1997, said: "Scampton is a very good base. It has an extremely long runway and is situated in a part of the country which is ideal in many ways.

"I just hope that all of these consequences of closing Scampton are fully understood and appreciated. I'd like to know where they are going to put the Red Arrows."

He won't know as much as you'd think, seeing as he retired 20 years ago... The world has moved on...

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
22/07/2018 10:33:16

Anyone worked out the weight of an A4 sheet of 1mm brass...?? Would 0.5mm be more suitable?

Thread: FastLad
21/06/2018 21:39:03

They've gone into administration...

**LINK**

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
16/06/2018 18:37:55

Thing is...

It's all kicking off on the drone Facebook groups...

The drone brigade all now think that if they join the BMFA they are exempt from the Dronecode 400 foot rule. How has the associations defined 'Model Aircraft' and 'Drone'...?!

30/05/2018 16:45:24
Posted by Ikura on 30/05/2018 16:36:51:

Yes you are quite correct. The BBC news item has been replaced with another one - "Aberdeen sanitary product pilot to start across Scotland".

Lol... Arguably more relevant and of a lot more interest to a lot more people...

30/05/2018 16:06:34
Posted by Ikura on 30/05/2018 15:43:23:
Posted by GONZO on 30/05/2018 14:38:04:

I have no doubt that any costs will eventually be placed on us. Note that in the article it talks of subsequently MAKING all users of drone use a smart phone app.(sold as a safety feature to help you know about other traffic) which will no doubt be linked to a mandatory installation of some form of transponder/telemetry device. You will in effect be paying for and doing your own policing and providing any evidence for your prosecution if you should infringe the laws.

That is all pure speculation, bordering on fantasy.

It will never happen, especially the way you think it will.

The CAA WILL want transpoders eventually, and yes, we will pay for them.

They are here, now.

**LINK**

30/05/2018 16:01:24
Posted by Ikura on 30/05/2018 14:10:02:

The article is no longer on the BBC website front page. So much for the big scoop. The BBC are just as sensationalist as the rest of the media.

My take on it is that it's a poor news day so the BBC have to drag up old news and make someting up out of very little.

Edited By Ikura on 30/05/2018 14:12:03

It's no longer on the BBC News website as other news has taken it's place.

How long would you like it left there? A week? A Month??

The BBC haven't 'dragged up old news', they've reported on a new piece of legislation heading for Parliment.

How hard is that to understand?

Thread: jeti
17/05/2018 23:41:17

It's been shown around all the German shows over the last few weeks.

Thread: Dead Lipo remedy?
12/05/2018 19:17:54

I was about to write a long piece about LiPo chemistry, but it appears from posts today I'd be wasting my time.

I can't think of a commercial LiPo charger that will charge a LiPo if it's under 2.5V or thereabouts, and absolutely not from zero.

This isn't something the charger designer forgot to incorporate, it's a safety feature, a safety feature most here seem to think it's fine to overide. It's there because over discharging the cells permanently changes the cells chemistry, and therefore, is a clue they shouldn't be recharged.

Yes, I used the words 'utter lunacy'. Sorry if that's a bit strong, but nothing I've read here has changed my mind, inlcuding the gem above, "if the battery has a CE marker, it will be fine."

Edited By Guvnor on 12/05/2018 19:28:34

12/05/2018 00:15:39
Posted by PatMc on 11/05/2018 22:30:17:

I'm not taking any risks.

I haven't expressed any opinion regarding whether the battery is safe or not.

You're making claims of dire consequences but so far not giving any credible backing for the claims. In which case you're no more than expressing an opinion. Is this the opinion of an expert ?
Do you have some expert knowledge of lithium cell chemistry & are you qualified to make the claims that you have ?

I do have some knowledge of LiPo chemistry and charger design.

Why do you think LiPo chargers refuse to charge LiPos who's V has dropped below a certain threshold, usually preset to 2.5V with a small load? Most commercial chargers use COTS chip sets, TI in particular. Clever ones WILL give a short gentle kick to try and revive a low V cell, but NOT from 0V. The charger chipset designers will assume that if the starting V is under 2.5V, the cell cannot and must not be charged... Have a read here: https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/articles/techzone/2016/sep/a-designer-guide-fast-lithium-ion-battery-charging

From this link:

deep discharge, like overcharging, can damage the cell.

Edited By Guvnor on 12/05/2018 00:16:03

Edited By Guvnor on 12/05/2018 00:17:24

11/05/2018 21:20:36

If you're happy to take these risks with no understanding of what's going on between the plates then that's fine, go for it.

You obviously know nothing about LiPo chemistry.

Which part of "This is a dangerous situation which can ultimately cause a short circuit between the electrodes." is a mystery?

As the battery was discharged to 0V, then forced back up, those lovely copper strands are right now shorting between the cathodes and anodes. Not a huge amount and they will instantly destroy themselves. But one day the battery will be knocked or pressed and it will short properly.

Why take any risk whatsover with a damaged LiPo?

Please, just bin it...

11/05/2018 19:39:24
Posted by PatMc on 11/05/2018 19:11:47:
Posted by Guvnor on 11/05/2018 18:44:27:
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 11/05/2018 17:59:28:

"Utter Lunacy".

I don't think so.

Try helping out a newbie club mate who made a sprog mistake and is not flush with readies.

It was an experiment that worked.

I am well aware of the risks associated when handling Lipos, and employed my own rigorous risk assessment prior to starting the "kick it" process.

Ok, the pack would probably not hack it in the latest 4D "must have" model, but for its intended use has proved to be fine.

Horses for courses.

Your choice. The cells may appear to be working but if you understand anything about the chemistry of Lithium cells, you will know that the strucure of the cells IS damaged.

From Zeus batteries website:

Over Discharge Conditions

Typical rechargeable lithium cells can safely operate down to 2.75V/cell. However, when an unprotected lithium cell is discharged past the minimum voltage level you run the risk of damaging the cell and ultimately lead to degraded cycle-life, unstable voltage characteristics and swelling of cells from internal chemical reaction.

Sooner or later, that battery might do something unpleasant.

I wouldn't like to be around when it does...

I just can't understand why anyone would risk a LiPo fire for the sake of a £13.75 battery...

Edited By Guvnor on 11/05/2018 18:45:56

So where's the warning of any previously over-discharged battery likely to burst into flames, other than your opinion ?

It isn't "my opinion"...

The Zeus battery website as noted above for a start.

This is from the mpowerUK site:

Under-voltage / Over-discharge

Rechargeable Lithium cells suffer from under-voltage as well as over-voltage. Allowing the cell voltage to fall below about 2 Volts by over-discharging or storage for extended periods results in progressive breakdown of the electrode materials.

First the anode copper current collector is dissolved into the electrolyte. This increases the self discharge rate of the cell however, as the voltage is increased again above 2 volts, the copper ions which are dispersed throughout the electrolyte are precipitated as metallic copper wherever they happen to be, not necessarily back on the current collector foil. This is a dangerous situation which can ultimately cause a short circuit between the electrodes.

There was a big feature on LiPo safety in a recent RCM&E. I don't understand why people can't see that an overdischarged LiPo, no matter how fine it seems to be, is a ticking time-bomb...

Edited By Guvnor on 11/05/2018 19:43:47

11/05/2018 18:44:27
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 11/05/2018 17:59:28:

"Utter Lunacy".

I don't think so.

Try helping out a newbie club mate who made a sprog mistake and is not flush with readies.

It was an experiment that worked.

I am well aware of the risks associated when handling Lipos, and employed my own rigorous risk assessment prior to starting the "kick it" process.

Ok, the pack would probably not hack it in the latest 4D "must have" model, but for its intended use has proved to be fine.

Horses for courses.

Your choice. The cells may appear to be working but if you understand anything about the chemistry of Lithium cells, you will know that the strucure of the cells IS damaged.

From Zeus batteries website:

Over Discharge Conditions

Typical rechargeable lithium cells can safely operate down to 2.75V/cell. However, when an unprotected lithium cell is discharged past the minimum voltage level you run the risk of damaging the cell and ultimately lead to degraded cycle-life, unstable voltage characteristics and swelling of cells from internal chemical reaction.

Sooner or later, that battery might do something unpleasant.

I wouldn't like to be around when it does...

I just can't understand why anyone would risk a LiPo fire for the sake of a £13.75 battery...

Edited By Guvnor on 11/05/2018 18:45:56

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us