By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Barryorbik

Here is a list of all the postings Barryorbik has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WD40
07/08/2020 13:05:39

Trevor, be careful not to spray it onto printed circuit boards though, as it will be absorbed by the fibres and results in internal short circuits in tghe PCB. A friend sprayed his new and very expensive Futaba transmitter board, thinking it would help protect it in inclement weather condition, but it actually destroyed his transmitter.

Thread: The Restorers
06/08/2020 15:45:08

I was amazed that they did not use top quality control gear in it - if it was going to be worth that much !!

I saw it on Quest (CH12) last night.

Thread: Cheap or good Quality Lipos ???
20/07/2020 22:50:36

I just purchased two 3S 2200 30C Turnigy (blue) packs from HK, and as a normal procedure I check their ESR on receipt with a Wayne ESR meter, and these are the first packs I have ever had where all of the cells in each pack were perfectly matched. Normally one cell in a pack has a higher ESR than its pack mates, which limits the overall C rating of the pack. Often a 40Crated pack will end up with an actual ESR value of 25C or less, but these calculated out at 29C. Their performance in a 450 helicopter last weekend in strong winds proved they were excellent packs.

Barry

Thread: Very fast delivery from Banggood China
11/07/2020 10:37:55

I have seen and increase in their delivery speed of late too, which seems to be linked to them charging postage now.

Barry

Thread: New Beginner to Model Helicopters
10/06/2020 22:39:37

Malcolm,

I have been flying, crashing and repairing helicoptersfor over 10 years and the main reasons for bad vibes are a bent main shaft, bent feathering shaft or if it is flybarred, a bent flybar or non centred paddles. Then you can add on out of balance main blades, bad tracking main blades or tail blades or any of the bearings associated with the head and mainshaft. The best advice I can give to anyone starting out in helicopters is to find a local club with a helicopter expert to check it over for you, as these are difficult enough beasts to master and it is made much more difficult (and expensive!) if you are learning on the job, but well worth the effort when you finally do.

Barry

Thread: Rediscovering My helicopter Fleet
23/04/2020 21:24:42

Nice to see someone else with a Mini Titan DD. My three are all converted to flybarless now with mini V Bars and Align FBL heads, and they fly so much better than when they had flybars on. Main advantages of the change are increased flying times resulting from lower head drag, and more flight accuracy and response as the FBL heads have less parts and therefore less slack in the head control components.

The little MCPx's are great fun to fly the garden, but sadly I made a big mistake as I failed to get any new batteries for mine at Weston Park last year, so my flight times now are less than two minutes before they BEC out!!

Stay safe and keep enjoying rediscovering the thrills and inevitable spills of helicopter flying.

Barry

22/04/2020 11:04:03

Well done Dwain at it all helps to keep the boredom at bay. My helicoter fleet have undergone extensive maintenance (much needed with the two hacks!) since this virus stopped us flying the things. Hopefully with my two weekly schedule of discharging my battery packs to 50%, then recharging them fully, before discharging again to their storage voltage, the batteries wil survive this prolong period of inactivity too!.

As Captain Ted says "tomorrow will be a better day" but lets hope this weather lasts until we are let out again.

Barry

Thread: Round the Pole but Radio Control!
31/03/2020 11:39:34

Hi Cliff

Looks great fun but have you got any details of the pole you used and the bearing/attachment arrangements.

Barry

Thread: Chinese suppliers
29/01/2020 12:53:05

I received a plastic bagged package from Banggood today and it smelt of disinfectant, so maybe our customs or theirs are decomtaminating parcels too - just in case!!

Barry

Thread: Spektrum DX6i Throttle issues
27/01/2020 22:41:57

Carlos, As the throttle potentiometer responded to switch cleaner my suggestion would be to dismantle your transmitter again and put a few drops only of 'genuine' 3 in 1 oil into the potentiometer. That will help stop the silvered elements within the potentiometer oxidizing again. Long term a replacement potentiometer/gimbal is the safest option as a helicopter with the blades spinning uncontrollably is not fun!!

Definately set the throttle cut to 0 as even a low throttle setting will cause lots of destruction if mother earth intervenes in your flight plans.

Barry

Thread: Stuck piston ring
20/01/2020 15:28:10

Not tried it myself but a few of the even older members at our club swear by diesel fuel (the sort you put in your car not the free flight stuff!) for freeing badly stuck piston rings. Apparently you may have to leave the piston in the stuff for a few days but it is supposed to clean the gum or oil off really well.

Might be wrth a try.

Barry

Thread: Gas engineers
04/11/2019 16:00:49

We live in an all electric powered house and theoretically all the energy goes in the storage heating system but I am always confused about the amount of steam coming out of the vents of gas powered systems. Surely that steam contains heat that could be recouped via a condenser system and fed back into the system to improve its efficiency?

Barry

Thread: Soldering station.
03/06/2019 09:35:49

Its a good idea to never run these 'oriental' irons and heat guns at full output as they are only rated at 220V AC and we are (nominally) still at 240V AC, so the elements will have a very short life if over run. I set mine to 3/4 max output and they then last a reasonable time. Secret to soldering success is a clean, well tinned soldering iron bit, clean component and wire connections, and a decent rosin based flux paste to prevent oxidation.

Barry

Thread: Prostate Cancer
27/04/2019 21:57:13

I had the skin cancer on my leg removed this morning in a 45 minute fairly painless procedure, and just have to wait up to 4 weeks now to find out if it was a bad one. The most painful part was having to pay out almost £5.00 to park in the hospital car park for an hour!!

Hope all goes well for you Martian, and remember guys, if anything seems a bit odd get it checked out quickly.

Barry

14/04/2019 10:26:55

I was called for my AAA test couple of years ago - and apparently I had the internal body structure of a 20 year old (pity I had to give it back!!), but trying to get a PSA test was a totally different matter. I too go for the annual well man tests at our doctors, which are carried out by a practice nurse, and they cover diabetes, blood pressure and BMI - but not PSA!!

I have to take up a doctors precious time for this test, which seems a total waste of resources, as surely the practice nurse has the required skill to take a blood sample.

Now a small spot of what was dry skin on my lilly white leg decided to erupt into an angry bright red spot a month ago, which then formed a hard crust with a red ring around its perimiter. Fortunately my well man check up was at this time, so I showed the eruption to the practice nurse who said it did not look like anything serious, but it might be prudent to have a doctor check it out.

The doctor checked it and said he did not think it was anytghing to worry about but put me on the cancer pathway with a referal to the hospital. After a wait of two weeks I now find I have skin cancer!! ,so am now awaiting an operation to remove the appendage, but during the check the consultant also found a number of dry patches on my forehead and temples, which fortunately are pre-cancerous, so a cream has been prescribed to deal with these.

As I am very light skinned I have always tried to limit my time in the sun, word indoors throughout my working life, and wear my Tilley, and factor 60 sun cream, even on cold overcast days, and never wear shorts etc, except in the gym or swimming pool. I have suffered sun burn (through my lighter clothes) on a couple of occassions, but have never had a su tan or been on a sun bed in my 68 years on this earth, provingskin damage can happen to even the most careful people.

Oh the joys of getting old!!

Hope you all have 100% success in getting your tests and subsequent treatments.

Barry

Thread: Boeing 737 Max 8
13/03/2019 19:51:36

Just read that Mr T has grounded all 737 8's and 9's in the USA.

Barry

Thread: Align Trex 250 micro heli spares
12/03/2019 09:06:45

Hi Robin,

If no one else comes forward I would be more than happy to take those off your hands, as I have a couple of Trex 250's in regulary use. Would need them posting though but happy to pay postage etc.

Barry

Thread: LED Bulbs pt3
25/02/2019 17:07:19

Just a quick observation Denis, if he only uses one series current limiting resistor then would need all of the LED's on to calculate its value from (Voltage to be dropped/ total LED current), but if only a couple are then turned on, the resistor value would need to be different. I suspect like you that the control unit already has the current limiting resistors for each LED built in

Barry

Thread: LED Bulbs
18/02/2019 17:50:05

Another important point Gary is that the manufacturers normally recommend not bending the legs too close (3mm away minimum) as it can break the seal to the LED, or in the worse case the wires may snap off, as these days they are made of steel, which is not as malleable as older copper ones.

Barry

18/02/2019 17:23:16

The resistor can be fitted anywhere in the LED leads and is not polarity conscious, but do you know the value and Wattage of the resistor you need?

To work this out you would need to know the LED voltage and current. If you post the supply voltage and the LED ratings on here, I am sure some kind person will calculate the resistor value and Wattage rating for you.

Barry

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!