By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Cripps

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Cripps has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can You Name ALL These WW 2 Aircraft?
13/02/2017 17:10:50

43 for me, better than I thought...

Thread: Jiant Jabberwock refurb
22/01/2017 22:10:08

Have a chat with Pat Dare, he's been flying a Jabberwock with floats for as long as I can remember.

I enjoyed the video, too. When will we see you back at the Colwick meetings? The dates for this year are on the British Waterplane Association website **LINK**

All welcome!

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
24/11/2016 11:31:38

David,

I think you're talking about Carolyn Grace and her Stampe, G-AXNW, which looks good in overall blue with a gold stripe.

**LINK**

Incidentally, Carolyn's husband, Nick, bought Spitfire ML407 in 1979 and restored it as a 2-seater. Sadly Nick was killed in a car accident in 1988 but Carolyn decided to keep the Spitfire and learn to fly it herself. She is still flying the Spitfire now in displays, along with her son, Richard.

Thread: Across the Alps with a model aeroplane - an exciting adventure.
01/10/2016 18:06:55

Hi Max,

A superb photograph of a fantastic achievement. Well done to all involved.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
22/09/2016 00:51:48

A dozen foamy chuck gliders for a club event this weekend

foamy gliders.jpg

Thread: Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??
11/08/2016 10:41:41

In best “Erfolg” tradition, I thought I’d recount my flying experiences at the field yesterday.

It started at 9am, meeting up with a one of our newer members, Andy, whom I’d offered to instruct using my trusty old trainer. I’d bought the model a few years ago to teach my son to fly but he’s more interested in cars so with a Super Tigre 51 and wild movements it makes a good winter hack; setting lower rates on the slave transmitter still allows it to be used for training. Andy had had a couple of lessons previously and spent many hours practicing on the simulator so was able to fly reasonably consistent circuits with me only having to take over a few times. A few minutes into the 2nd flight, however, the engine cut and I had to make a hasty deadstick landing. Back in the pits, we discovered that the throttle servo had wound over and refused to respond to commands. Luckily it went closed rather than full throttle but, either way, that was the end of the training session.

Next up was the Ripmax Me109. Last week’s attempt with this model ended with the prop assembly flying off the front as I throttled up for launch - the collet-type adaptor had come loose. While fixing that, I discovered that the engine mount had loosened from the ply sides, so a lucky escape and easily fixed. On this occasion, the model got away ok from a slightly dodgy underarm launch but seemed to be a bit lacking in power, with a buzzing noise at full throttle. After a short period the motor appeared to smooth out and produce more power but throttling back in a loop and then opening up again produced the same buzzing noise. I carried on regardless until the timer went and then landed. On the ground, I tested the motor at full power and noticed that the gap between the spinner and cowl increased slightly, at which point the prop assembly flew off, just as before, but this time with the motor shaft attached! Witness marks on the end of the shaft showed that it had pulled through the rear collet (no flat on the shaft).

Saving the best ‘til last, I then flew my GP Cosmic Wind “Little Toni”. Powered by an OS91 four-stroke, I built this model 6 years ago and it still looks, mostly, as new. It’s currently the largest model in my fleet and, truth be told, I find it a bit intimidating and only fly it on a few occasions a year. My club’s site is not the largest, and with high grass/weeds surrounding the runways, I’ve found it a bit tricky to land, not helped by the thin section and highly tapered wing and, probably, a conservative (ie high) idle setting. After a session a month ago where it suffered 2 deadstick landings, I’d replumbed the tank and successfully test-flown it last week. I’d spent some more time setting up the idle to slow things down on the approach and also carried out a stall test to remind me how it behaved. Surprisingly it was very benign and just mushed straight ahead. Armed with renewed confidence in the model, I had 3 enjoyable flights yesterday which all ended with slower, well-controlled landings and no over-runs into the long grass - result!

So, a few ups and downs during the day, but overall a very satisfying flying session.

little toni.jpg

Thread: Finishing a foam core/veneer wing
06/08/2016 08:00:47

Hi Percy,

Have a look at the Solarfilm website, there is lots of useful information on using their products. The instructions for covering with Solarfilm include the use of Prymol exactly as Chris describes.

Edited By Nick Cripps on 06/08/2016 08:01:08

Thread: Chris's Bella Ballerina HD
19/07/2016 11:08:32

Still on the grocery theme, and to help with your education Chris, here's a mustard tin tank in its component parts alongside a completed one. Just the right size for a 5 minute run on an Oliver Tiger....

mustard tin tank.jpg

From one of the silent watchers wink

Thread: Purple Haze Plan Wanted
25/05/2016 02:16:50

My humble apologies to Pat and, especially, Ian Peacock.

I have been corresponding with a clubmate about the Purple Haze who sent me the following reply: "I remember the model. It was designed by a friend of Millo's and named after his wife Hazel. A small high wing model but very nippy and aerobatic."

In my defence I was but a spotty-faced teenager in the 70s, just started in aeromodelling. Rob was a prolific designer and builder in those days and, as he was a keen promoter of the Purple Haze within the Long Eaton club, I just assumed it was one of his.

Ah well, you learn something new every day in this game...

22/05/2016 18:02:29

Pat,

The Purple Haze was designed as a fun sports model not initially as a pylon racer. The wing used a Jedelsky-style design with a thick LE and thinner sheet TE section with elongated triangular ribs underneath to give support for the covering and hence a more recognisable wing section. Most found it more convenient to build it with a foam wing though and that was the version kitted.

The Azure Lady was indeeed a glider, as were a few other of Rob's designs. He did also design the cartoon scale warbirds that were later kitted by Roger Halton. They're probably the original Fun-Fighters before the name was adopted elsewhere...

I attended Sywell in around 1976 with Rob where the Azure Lady was demonstrated for Peacock Models. The towman, Jeff Clifton, apologised after the 1st launch saying he'd had to release the model early when he'd got halfway across the runway and saw a full-size Islander bearing down on him!

Apologies for going off-topic a bit, the memories are coming back (hopefully correctly).

22/05/2016 13:01:04

The Purple Haze was a very popular model in our club in the late 70s, designed by one of our members, a certain Rob Millinship. The original used a Jedelsky-style wing but was replaced by veneered foam when kitted by Peacock Models.

I'll ask around at our next club meeting and see if anyone still has a copy of the plan.

incidentally, another of Rob's designs kitted by Peacock Models was the Azure Lady. The original name "Shy Talk" was not deemed suitable for some reason!

Thread: Model shops in and around Derby
12/02/2016 10:36:39

I only went into Wayland's a few times but it was very much like Goodyear's in that respect. When Alf eventually retired, the model shop separated from the newsagents and was run by a few different people. At one time it was known as Premier Models which is probably the name you remember.

Super Models in Spondon was run by Dave Heaton and then later his son, Mark, but as you say closed at least 10 years ago.

Terry Tippett was the brains behind Micron radio and at one point had 3 shops, all in a small shopping precinct in Sandiacre, not far from M1 J25. Micron radio was very popular in the local area at least but struggled when the japanese manufacturers started to flood the market with cheap (relatively) radio in the late seventies.

My first radio was Micron, too, and I still have it somewhere, I think. Converting it to 2.4GHz is an interesting idea but I think the DEAC pack would need replacing!

11/02/2016 10:24:29

The shop on Nightingale Road was Goodyear's. It was adjacent to a newsagent also run by the proprietor whose name was ...Alf Goodyear.

It was one of those wonderful old-school model shops that we all miss. You could go in and ask for something obscure and Alf would just rummage around in the back and find one for you - brilliant!

Thread: 2016 Nationals
18/01/2016 00:16:56

Alternative venue: RAF Syerston.

It's a satellite airfield for Cranwell (like Barkston) and is in the same local area, a few miles SW of Newark on the A46. According to Googlemaps, it looks to be of a similar size to Barkston so should be able to host all of the usual events.

Worth investigating by the BMFA?

Thread: Percival Mew Gull plans or 3 view drawings wanted
09/04/2015 21:37:10

Dave,

The Mew Gull is one of my favourite aeroplanes. I've got an "Aircraft Archive" of racing and sporting aircraft which includes the Mew Gull. I'll bring it along to work on Monday and you can make use of the office photocopier.

Thread: PSS Tornado GR1
05/04/2015 22:36:02

"Suction surface" - you can tell you're a turbines man, Phil.

Looking good....

Thread: Pete Lowe, RCM&E columnist
23/03/2015 22:23:39

Sad news indeed.

My condolences to Janet and their family.

Thread: is my engine big enough
22/12/2014 21:06:02

Er, 70oz is 4lb 6oz, not 5lb.

Thread: Any recommendations...fiction
10/10/2014 10:27:59

The Arkady Renko series by Martin Cruz Smith, starting with "Gorky Park", set in communist Russia, are a good read. Interestingly, I've just discovered there are 2 more which I haven't read yet - bonus!

Craig Thomas has written many good novels including one of the best ever "Firefox", although the sequel lets it down a bit, and don't even mention the film.....

Also recently got into Harlan Coben. Very american but the stories are well-written, often with an unexpected twist at the end.

Thread: Free Glue Grab Weekend
23/05/2014 12:06:00

And another for the list, please.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us