By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Percy Verance

Here is a list of all the postings Percy Verance has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Saito FA40a domed nut
12/11/2018 20:05:38

Hi again Jon

My first .48fs was an early one Jon, bought in 1990. The second I bought used a couple of years later. I used Model Technics castor based fuel (lots of it!) back then, always running ever so slightly rich. No dead sticks and never any other trouble. Nobody seemed bothered about the perils of castor or the advantages of synthetic fuels back then..... not that I remember much synthetic based fuel being around at that time. 

I never felt the OS 52fs ran as well as those first 48's, but maybe that was me......

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/11/2018 20:08:52

Thread: BMFA Club Finder?
12/11/2018 18:04:17

One of the better ways to make yourself known is through a friendly model shop owner. But of course these are gettng fewer and fewer. It is aLso possible to raise your profile a little by perhaps attending village fetes and galas. Even a good static display often gets some interest. 

Experience - sometimes bitter - has shown me that it isn't always a good idea to raise your profile too much........Of course it may be completely different in other areas of the country, but as mentioned already, make too much noise - figuratively speaking - and someone may come along and try to put an end to your pleasure or swipe your mower and other stuff........

It's the way it is just now Simon. In my area there are fishing, golf and other clubs advertising for new members. You often see ads in RCM&E for clubs seeking new flyers. It's how it is Simon, and there isn't an easy answer or a simple fix.

And no way would I go anywhere near a newspaper. Sorry, but I just don't think it's where you want to be.

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/11/2018 18:18:31

Thread: Transmitter tray
12/11/2018 17:50:10

That has to be the most original piece of bespoke design I have seen in a while.......yes

Thread: Saito FA40a domed nut
12/11/2018 17:36:14

Jon

Odd you saying the old 48fs was bad for throwing props? I had two of them back then (early 90's) and I can't ever recall them throwing a prop.......

Why so bothered about the appearance of the prop Brian? You can't see it when the model's flying....... wooden props are lovely to look at, but touch the ground even slightly and it's landfill. Even long grass can break them.. I once saw a bloke try one on a waterplane. It lasted about halfway into the take-off run before water spray shredded it.

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/11/2018 17:40:55

Thread: Scale Nose Gear
12/11/2018 17:29:50

The outfit whom produced the Gnatty trainer way back when also had a range of knuckle type suspension undercarriage legs. I seem to recall theirs took wheels of up to 50 to 60mm diameter. They simply bolted to plain wire legs, secured with several grub screws.

Leicester Model Centre I think.........

Thread: Super Tigre 20cc - 30cc engine parts
11/11/2018 18:44:42

Don Stothers also offered a re-working service for the slight manufacturing blips the early versions seemingly suffered from. It's a long time ago now, but I seem to recall a compression leak through the plug thread was one of the (then) issues......

And yes Mal, Don Stothers did do the six bolt hub. There were others around back then, but his were good solid items. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/11/2018 18:51:38

Thread: Oratex
10/11/2018 21:53:28

I'm not sure what you'd do now if you needed a non see through shade suitable for a WW1 job. Formerly, Solartex did the Linen shade, which I think was a similar shade to the Antique but without the transparency. Not ever having bought Oratex I have no idea if they offer a similar product.

There always seemed to be a little confusion with Antique and Linen shades of Solartex. Although a similar shade, the Antique was farly see through, the Linen version wasn't.......

Mick Reeves did have a healthy stock of Linen Solartex but I imagine it's probably all gone by now.........

Ultimately it's as cymaz states, you can spray it. Quite a satisfying job in itself if you go about it carefully.

Edited By Percy Verance on 10/11/2018 22:06:06

Thread: Super Tigre 20cc - 30cc engine parts
10/11/2018 21:49:51

A Just Engines Heavy Duty starter might do it if they still do them Roger. These starters had an oversize cone on them, suitable for larger spinner sizes. Not so good if you're not using a spinner though.......

I'm not sure what the spares situation is for these engines now. I heard somewhere they were no longer in production.

Edited By Percy Verance on 10/11/2018 22:09:41

Thread: Oratex
10/11/2018 21:27:51

It's transparent because you bought the Antique Andy. A standard shade wouldn't be nearly as see through.

Thread: Which Set Should I buy
06/11/2018 13:48:31

Did you try Mike Ridley Dave? He has been known to undertake minor repairs for very reasonable cost. Even with more major stuff, he doesn't fleece you......

Matty

You may not be convined of Multiplex's future in the radio market, but they have at least been in it since 1958. I wonder if it'll still be possible to buy Frsky stuff in 60 years time? wink  Not that I'd be wanting any.

Edited By Percy Verance on 06/11/2018 14:09:00

Thread: Electric Cars.
04/11/2018 12:46:51

I'd cut my own hair if they imposed a hair tax.........

Thread: Selecting Servos for a New Model
04/11/2018 12:24:13

Good points Martin and ED.

Pukka retract servos usually operate through a 180 degree arc, and won't operate proportionally.

And yes, stick to well known makes from genuine suppliers. A *bargain* servo could wreck your pride and joy.

04/11/2018 12:17:42

I make no apologies for mentioning it, but I can't help but notice the vast majority of your posts - both in this thread and others - seem very negative, or hint at it.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/11/2018 12:19:48

04/11/2018 11:45:48

But you don't have to wait. You can buy an electric car tomorrow and charge it overnight using a 13 amp socket and cheap rate electricity.

You've touched on the tax base a number of times now. That's purely political, and has little to do with electric cars directly. You're simply digging up obstacles to bolster your argument. If the Goverment chose to increase taxation to ridiculous levels, then there would doubtless be a huge revolt. Some might even resolve to simply stop working and let the state take the strain instead.

It's the main reason I'm seriously looking to get a decent array of solar panels on my newly replaced roof. Energy costs will rise - that's a given - so if I can produce enough of my own, then I can pretty much isolate myself from the greedy energy barons. But of course if H M Government come up with a way to tax sunshine, then we're back to square one.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/11/2018 12:05:47

04/11/2018 11:35:39

Yes Frank, I'd have thought that was bound to happen. The technology is still relatively new, so costs - particularly development and manufacturing - are presently higher. With time, prices will soften.

I'm not sure I like the sound of self driving cars, but hey, we'll see where it goes so to speak.......As long as it's possible to switch it off or overide it, that's what I'd do personally.

C8 I'm sure there's an outfit somewhere who refurbish Prius packs for sensible money. I can't recall where or who, but I did see a video of it being done a while back.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/11/2018 11:41:42

04/11/2018 10:55:44

I'm assuming the *new* battery being developed by Panasonic will be solid state? If it is, they're a touch behind Sony, as they had their SS battery in prototype form last year.....and they state it ought to be good for full production in about 4 years.

I think Mr Dyson was also massively funding the SS battery development program too, although I can't recall who with. Presumably it's one of the above mentioned companies?

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/11/2018 11:05:07

04/11/2018 10:49:16

A few more snippets of info from Wikipedia here IDD

To meet future demand for EVs, auto manufacturers need to plan and gear up for the relevant changes to design and manufacturing processes. Normally, government calls for reduced vehicle emissions are met with resistance from the private sector. According to Winfried Hermann, transport minister for Stuttgart, “We say, clean up your technology, they say it is impossible.”[5] Nevertheless, many automakers are now planning to sell most of their vehicle fleet in electric versions. According to Volvo’s CEO, the manufacturer aims for 50 percent of sales to be fully electric by 2025.[6]

Other companies including BMW and Renault have committed to significant increases in EV production in the next two years and plan on a full transition in the near future. The PSA Group, which owns Peugeot and Citroen, stated its intentions to electrify 80 percent of its fleet for production by 2023, and Toyota is manufacturing its first fully electrified Prius to meet California’s updated vehicle standards for 2020.[7]Toyota also announced it will be adding more than 10 EV models by the early 2020s, and has partnered with Panasonic to develop a new EV battery.[8] Companies that have already produced fully electrified cars, such as Nissan, are setting the pace by providing more variety to make EVs appealing to consumers with diverse needs. Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Land Rover, producers of luxury cars, have also spoken publicly about their company goals to move toward electrifying vehicles.[9] German-owned makers of Rolls-Royce and Mini Cooper vehicles plan to bring 25 electric models to market by 2025, in line with the goals that several European countries have targeted for the end of new ICE vehicle sales.[8] Additionally, they hope to stay ahead of shifting market demands and the impending European target goals by increasing research and development spending to 7 billion euros.[8] The largest auto manufacturer in Europe, Volkswagen, has pledged 20 billion euros for its electric car program, and its luxury brand Porsche, in collaboration with Audi, will release 20 electrified models by 2025.[8]

Thread: Saito FA40 Performance Increase
04/11/2018 10:06:45

Ultimate, that's the one Jon. I couldn't remember the moniker.......

Are you sure the other was a 1.20? A 1.40 sticks in my head.... anyway whatever it was it flopped.

I think the .70FL was one of those *sneaky* (not made in Japan) OS's. They never were quite as good. I rather fancy there are still some sneaky engines in OS's line up.......the price gives it away.

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/11/2018 10:11:50

04/11/2018 09:56:17

I've remembered slightly more now Denis. The bigger of the two Os's was a 1.40. The supercharger body on the backplate looked huge. The idea at the time was to challenge the dominance of the Yamada (YS) engines in International F3a Aerobatics. A tough nut to crack, although I think at the time F3a pilots were just beginning to make the move to electric.

The .70fs they produced had an integral fuel metering pump. From memory I think there were a few issues with it. Why oh why would you have an integral pump on a model engine when there are perfectly good ones available as aftermarket items? If it's integral you can only use it with that engine, whereas a separate pump can be moved to another engine if required, unless of course it's a petrol job.

David

Ah right, I was mistaken then. I had a SAito .56 along with two .62's, and I know they were the same physical size. I thought perhaps the .40 was too. Mmmm, a bit adventurous to state that it "packs" more power though. Advertising at it's best I guess. Reminds me of Estate Agent hype five years ago when I was house hunting. If we saw a place with a large hole in it's roof along with broken windows, we'd say it was a ruin right? But to an Estate Agent it's * an opportunity to create the home of your dreams*.... wink Yeah right.

Sadly I can't suggest anything further over what's been mentioned already to get more urge from your .40. Sorry.

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/11/2018 10:09:02

04/11/2018 09:04:14

I've never been to Wales IDD. I've travelled to most other corners of the UK, but not there. I like Scotland a lot, particularly right up towards the Northern coast. So breathtaking and remote.

And yes, the big oil giants in particular will join the party wholesale. Ironically, it won't be because they want EV vehicles to succeed, it's simply the fact that they know EV owners need to charge somewhere so they're looking to get them to continue frequenting their service stations, where of course they'll buy other stuff in addition to getting a quick (150kw) charge. Shell in particular seem to pushing the limits on pricing though, at 25p per kilowatt........ Still, they aint in it for fun.

The EV charging situation in the Lakes seems healthier than I imagined. Living here I don't normally go anywhere near the usual tourist haunts as they're so busy. I did make a point of driving up through Windermere, Ambleside, Grasmere and Keswick a few weeks back though, and was pleasantly surprised to see charging points in most of the main car parks, with one car park in particular having three chargers. I also noticed some at a few hotels and guest houses. There are actually several in my nearest town I didn't know existed too. And of course there is free charging at Nissan dealers and Ikea, plus the odd other spot too. Some pubs are offering it for free if you buy a meal.

P.S. Were you aware Unipart and Williams ( as in F1 racing) also have a vested interest? They run the Coventry Hyperbat plant, where Jaguar - and others - get their battery packs from.

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/11/2018 09:24:19

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us