By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Percy Verance

Here is a list of all the postings Percy Verance has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: No Hosepipe Then?
19/07/2018 05:38:04

Hi Geoff

It's my understanding Thirlmere is United Utilities primary source of water for customers in the Lakes area Geoff, with Haweswater primariliy supplying the Manchester area and other parts of Cheshire. There is the facility to draw off water from Windermere, although I'm told this is rarely used. There is not, as far as I'm aware, any facility to draw off water from other well known lakes in the area for domestic use.

Odd you mention flooded villages Geoff. The village at the bottom of Haweswater - Mardale - is now partially exposed once more. The old roads, stone walls and the foundations of houses are once again visible. I think it's also now possible to see the tennis court over the road from what was the Dun Bull Inn....... I may go and take a look tomorrow morning, as the last time it was possible to see it was over 30 years ago.

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/07/2018 05:51:23

18/07/2018 19:45:17

Just as I thought then John........

Don, pm on it's way......

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 19:51:05

18/07/2018 19:35:19

So John, things might magically change if I vote for another political party? Why might that be? How might it change?

Will a change of Government reduce United Utilities leakages to substantially less than 400 million litres a day? Will my water bills be reduced accordingly?  MIght it mean United Utilities are more careful about complying with their environmental obligations, consequently paying out less in fines, which they have presumably sought to recoup in the past by adding surcharges to consumers bills?

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 19:43:55

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 19:44:44

18/07/2018 19:27:50

Deserve Don? We've had zero choice. There are no other suppliers in the area!

Until legislation frees up the market, 7 million water customers in the North West have no choice but to put up with it. United Utilities have the complete monopoly........

Loaded with debt but still able to pay fairly healthy dividends to shareholders? 

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 19:32:50

18/07/2018 19:05:24

I can guess John........

And given the plans to build thousands more houses up and down the land, one wonders what provision is going to be made to procure sufficient supplies of water for those houses? Or has nobody thought of that one yet?

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 19:08:14

18/07/2018 18:59:39

Here in the North West we have United Utilities as our water supplier. They have approximately 170 reservoirs and other water catchment areas. They have stated that, unless we get substantial rainfall within the next 2 weeks, they will be imposing a hosepipe ban. The North West of England statistically has the second highest level of rainfall in the UK annually. If a hosepipe ban goes ahead on August 5th, United Utilities will be the only water company on the UK mainland to impose a ban. They say a ban will be necessary to reduce overall water usage by 10%. All fine and dandy until you discover that United Utilities lose 400 million litres of water daily through leaks in their network. Of recent times they've also received several substantial fines for breaches of environmental regulations.

Why then do they place such a high priority on profits and dividends for shareholders rather than fixing those leaks? United Utilities are near the bottom of the league when it comes to overall water company performance. They keep claiming they're getting better, but unfortunately for them so are their competitors.

So, how long might it be before the water industry gets an almighty shake-up, meaning we can switch our water suppliers in the same way as gas and electricity suppliers? Performance such as this simply isn't good enough in todays market. The fat cats get ever fatter. It just isn't good enough........we need the opportunity to walk away from lame ducks like United Utilities and go buy our water elsewhere.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 19:14:56

Thread: Black Fly a new Flying Car
18/07/2018 18:43:03

It's a non starter for several reasons. We have 30 odd million cars in Britain, and if just 20% of that number were to convert to flying cars, then just imagine the air traffic control chaos it would create. And where would they all take-off and land?

Not going to happen.

That Robinson bloke in the US produced his bargain basement helicopter. He sold a fair number, but it hasn't swamped the market.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 18:43:39

Thread: Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9
18/07/2018 15:54:13

Frank

Re: Cockpit SX 7, 9 and 12. Not sure if you're aware Frank, but the latest Cockpit Sx update (from last month) means servo slow - up to 12 seconds, freely assignable switches and Safelink have now become available. There's more too, but those are the main bits.

You have to be sure to re-bind every receiver if you plan to go with Safelink, but then why wouldn't you?

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/07/2018 15:54:43

Thread: fav model of all time
16/07/2018 06:56:44

That's it Piers, similar but just larger. From memory it was around 80 inch winspan. It was back in the days when that was considered to be a fairly large model.......

15/07/2018 20:58:09

Piers

I can't recall the QB15 but I do remember the larger QB60 well enough. One of our club members built one to carry a camera out over Windermere Lake to photograph some sort of weed which was spreading rather quickly at the time. Both the model and camera were sponsored by an Ecological Research organisation based near Windermere at the time. The deal meant he kept the model as payment once the task had been completed.

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 20:58:51

Thread: Ben Buckle Mini Super - Build
15/07/2018 19:27:31

Ah right Luccaaa, I see now. I mentioned it because I bought a new laptop not too long ago, and know how much a half decent one costs!

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 19:28:34

15/07/2018 18:55:35

Nice neat building board Luccaaa. If it were mine I think I'd move that laptop somewhere it won't get balsa dust in or near it. I see you are sanding virtually next to it. On the subject of sanding. As you do quite a bit of building, I'd seriously urge you to consider some Perma Grit sanding tools. They come in all shapes and sizes, and in various grades of abrasive. Once you have some, you really will wonder how you managed without them.

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 18:59:14

Thread: The Mini WOT 4 thread
15/07/2018 12:57:08

Denis

Incorrect incidences, mis-aligned thrustline, possible unsuitable wing section or insufficient development. The answer is in there somewhere I think. It is something of a surprise that Chris Foss has allowed this one out of the bag as it is, because it's my understanding he is actually very involved in the development of the artf versions of his designs. Sadly, this particular one looks like one to avoid.....unless you're the sort of person who likes nailing jelly to the ceiling.

Denis, you say as the speed drops it all goes pear-shaped? In which case my 50p is currently on it being an unsuitable wing section, which is what Paul remarked on. Maybe even the incidence is out too?

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 13:05:51

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
15/07/2018 12:43:10

Topmodel Swish. The name alone makes you want one......... yes

Very *clean* looking model Steve. Built for a fair turn of speed perhaps, hence the name?

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 12:44:42

Thread: The Mini WOT 4 thread
15/07/2018 12:13:19

Darren

Forgive the touch of humour, but your last post brought back memories of an old carpenter I knew over 40 years ago. I was once looking at his tools, and he happened to remark " that hammer has had three new handles and two new heads, but it's the best hammer I've owned in donkey's years".......

I think the upshot of all this can be pretty much summed up by a comment I made way back in this thread, when I remarked that quite small models don't so much fly, they flit..........

Something has gone very wrong with the Wot 4 design on scaling it down. GIven that the normal and large sized versions perform so well, it does leave you wondering. There's a slight clue in Paul's comments. An unsuitable airfoil section perhaps? Thin wings don't normally take too well to slow flight. It's also disappointing to see so many owners needing to make mods to the thrustline. That sort of thing ought to be fairly well sorted, given that a stated motor size is stipulated.

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 12:52:27

Thread: phase 6
15/07/2018 09:23:42

Hi Jack

Chris Foss kits don't usually have a plan with them Jack. They have a leaflet style set of instructions with diagrams and notes.

If you're looking for a sloper of that style, try Phoenix Model Products, based in Devon. Stan Yeo is the proprieter, and designer of the models he offers. His range of slope soarers have competition winning pedigree, and do come with a plan in the kit. In fact some of the designs are available as a plan only. And you can dowload his plans to examine them before you decide which one to choose......

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 09:25:25

15/07/2018 08:55:19

Kit quality was fine 20 odd years ago Luccaaa, when it was Ben Buckle himself producing the kits. Now that they are being produced by someone else - I'm not sure who these days - it's fair to say the quality isn't what it once was.....

I just found some photos of my building jig Luccaa. It's an old Aerotek one, no longer available. There are others on the market though. Some people make their own. The thicker black line on the centreline of the board is the one used to line up the centres of the fuselage formers. Once it's all lined up, you clamp it all in place until the glue dries. One straight fuselage ought to be the result Luccaaa. The elongated slots you see where it says Fuselage Alignment Jig are for aligning the tailplane when fixing it in place. Threaded rods are fixed into the holes, The rods have small rubbers on the end, and it's this end which is placed under the tailplane and adjusted until it is absolutely level. Even a tailplane which is not fixed at zero degrees incidence can be catered for. A very useful bit of equipment to have if you build quite a lot Luccaaa.

jig-2.jpg

jig-3.jpg

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 09:09:00

Thread: Glow Plugs
15/07/2018 08:51:44

I bought a .38 and an .18 Denis. Both ran well enough, although I never flew the .38 and sold it on. The .18 is still mounted in a Balsa Cabin Duet powered glider, where it has been fine. It throttles really well.

15/07/2018 08:38:06

Hi again Luccaaa

I think it may be a Ben Buckle *thing* Luccaaa, but the BB kits I've built over the years have had very variable wood quality. And there lies the problem. It's a recipe for warping if you happen to get - for example - one quite stiff longeron along with a much softer one built into the same fuselage side. It's an issue you seem aware of though Luccaaa, so I shan't dwell on it.

Do you have a building jig Luccaaa? They're very useful. If you don't have one, then a simple straight line drawn on the bench can help. This would of course require matching centrelines drawn on the main fuselage formers. Once they're all lined up when joining the sides. it's probably going to be as straight as you might get it.

Thread: Glow Plugs
15/07/2018 08:02:51

I wouldn't hold out much hope there Denis. Many moons ago there did used to be someone who brought in obscure foreign engines etc (Engines Unlimited?) and they did have some unusual stuff.

Trouble was/is Denis, anything Russian that was fully usable/competitive was generally specially manufactured for teams of competing Russian participants in International competitions, and the engines etc they used were not usually available to the everyday Ivan Smith...........

There have been odd exceptions though. Round about the time of the MDS escapade, there was a Russian produced .61 sized engine specifically aimed at the F3a market, the Master .61. It was - for a Russian engine - of generally high quality. I can't recall it being around too long though. Probably a collectors item now, like the (excellent) UK produced Redshift engines.

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2018 08:19:18

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues