By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Percy Verance

Here is a list of all the postings Percy Verance has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Cars.
23/07/2019 21:13:42

Tom

As I understand it Tom most chargers are *smart*. I have heard of instances where membership cards cannot be read due to worn scanning equipent etc, and a phonecall to the charger company resulted in the charge being commenced remotely by them. I think they're all pretty much like this. The same will apply to the contactless readers which are going on all newly installed chargers Tom. If your card details aren't valid for any reason, you won't get any juice......

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/07/2019 21:20:38

Thread: SIG Kadet LT-40 Build - My first proper build!
23/07/2019 18:52:23

Oooh, steady on Nu Me, that's a bit ambitious. Realistically, that is something like a 5th or 6th model. WW2 warbirds are not normally noted for their handling finesse, and a fair bit of piloting skill is usually required to ensure success. The build would of course be do-able, but it will be more involved than the Sig trainer, with more complex areas of contruction. It's do-able, but not for a while.....I'd gingerly suggest 2 to 3 years?

22/07/2019 20:04:04

Well I shan't be buying an e scooter then... I was considering an electric bike though. There are several already in use around my village - my neighbour has one. Worthy of further investigation perhaps?

22/07/2019 19:49:58

Hi again Nu Me

Cutting the grooves for the torque rods can sometimes be a little fiddly, but get it right and it will all work ok. The trend for some time has been to fit a servo in each wing half, usually about halfway down the wing. It can make for more precise control, and can give an element of redundancy should one servo fail (it's never happened to me).

You can connect the two servos with a Y lead, but in so doing you'll lose the ability to trim each servo individually if it becomes necessary. You'll find that these days most newly sold radios will have a facility for operating two servos in a wing (using seperate channels) without using a Y lead. And it's usually preferable to do it that way if possible. I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet Nu Me. Get both wings and all the other bits built, and then give it some thought......

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2019 19:52:54

22/07/2019 18:55:39

Torque rods? Not seen those being used for some time. Still, this model will have been designed a few moons ago. Not that it will be any worse for that. What might eventually happen - if the rods are using the balsa as a bearing - is wear will creep in and it'll all get sloppy and imprecise. If the rods have plastic bearings then all will be well. The rods are intentionally bent to be asymmetrical Nu Me, in order to provide some aileron differential movement.

I'd still fit a servo in each wing personally.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2019 18:58:31

22/07/2019 13:36:20

I'd have to agree GG. Like you I usually glue them to the front face of the wing spars, although I have built models with them on the rear face of the spars too. Sig's method could be slightly stronger, but there can't be much in it.

Don't fit the ailerons permanently until after the wings are covered and finished Nu Me. It's a total pain trying to cover a wing with ailerons fixed in place.

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2019 13:43:35

Thread: C No Ohmen
22/07/2019 06:55:58

Well Chris, I'm not Peter but here we go anyway. The ends of the undercarriage wires are not glued into the ply blocks Chris, they simply slot in and have a smooth friction fit. A further ply piece is glued on top of the slotted bit creating a box for the wire to slide into. The clamps on the crossmembers hold it all in place. And yes, you use clamps which have a groove wide enough for two wires. They are available, but do sometimes take a bit of tracking down. This arrangement was very popular on many models at one time Chris.

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2019 06:58:23

21/07/2019 21:51:18

Well I bought my first brand new car in my early 20's Keith. I was working for a fairly large company at the time, flogging my tripe out working 50 or 60 hours a week. I opened a second bank account specifically with the intention of saving enough to buy my first new car. The result - after just over a year or so - was a shiny new red VW Golf costing £4500. I paid cash and it felt good. I've been fortunate enough to be able to buy the odd new car as and when the fancy took me, but mostly I usually settle for 6 to 12 month old ones.

I'm slightly younger than you Keith, and I chose to take my personal pension a couple of years ago for health reasons. My partner and I have also recently sold another property we had, and I'll be using part of this sum to finance the eNiro . I don't normally make a habit of buying 30k cars, but I've never had a foreign holiday ( nor do I want one) so I just felt I'd do it this once. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/07/2019 22:09:38

21/07/2019 21:11:27

I'll also be charging from a small number of charging points Keith. The main one will be sited in my garage, hopefully on Octopus Energy's 5p per kwh EV tarrif, the other may well be one of the chargers at my local Sainsburys because it's free to use.....I must remember to buy a tin of soup or something while I'm there.

Yes IDD, I've been quoted just £40 per year more than was my Focus. I can live with that. yes 

And I certainly don't anticipate worrying about range. The eNiro can manage 250 miles on a full charge. I drive 130 to 150 miles a week at the very most. Perhaps I'll only need to charge every two weeks. I'm not yet certain of the exact cost for an 80% charge, but from what I've read it's unlikely to exceed £7.00 or so. And much less once my solar is up and running and the sun shines.

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/07/2019 21:27:47

21/07/2019 20:55:00

It's probably best you don't buy one then Keith. If you're hinting at my justifying my choice, then it isn't going to happen. It was my decision to make, and I've made it. 

People often spend large sums on holidays, clothes, nights out etc. They're happy with their choice. I'm sure I'll be happy with mine.

Kim

The loss of revenue from fossil fuels will probably be clawed back by introducing tolls on all major routes. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/07/2019 21:07:56

21/07/2019 18:09:11

Keith

Any environmental benefits or advantages are purely incidental as far as I'm concerned. I'm buying the thing because it'll cost me a fraction of what a conventional i.c. powered car does to run. About 3p per mile or thereabouts. The tree huggers can do as they will. They can gladly come and hug the trees in my garden if it gives them a true sense of wellbeing and fulfilment......... I care not a jot. In fact if there was a scale illustrating how many monkeys I give, I'd probably struggle to register.

And Rich. Believe it or not, the cost savings are a factor. Quite soon I'm having a solar array plus all the associated gubbins installed to enable me to sell energy back to the grid. I'll then be able to choose whether I keep the excess energy and direct it straight to the car or sell it. Over say, 8 to 10 years, the savings will be worth having. With fossil fuels you're stuck with the price they post on the pump, plus ther's no way to acquire free petrol or diesel unless you're a pikey. Plus fossil fuel prices will always increase eventually. The energy I get from solar will always be free.

Doc

That will certainly be an issue they'll need to face at some point. Maybe they'll need to move into new markets and sell something else they have plenty of. Sand or Camels perhaps? One hump or two? wink  

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/07/2019 18:40:22

21/07/2019 09:32:42

Hi again Nu Me

Just be sure to complete each wing panel as much as possible ( sheeting etc) before you actually lift it from the board for the first time. That way you'll minimise the risk of warps creeping into the structure. Store the first wing on a flat surface if possible while you build the second one....

Looking good so far.....yes

P.S. Sounds a bit silly I know, but watch out for the basic mistake we've all made at some point, particularly when building fuselages. Be sure to build handed sides :ie one left and one right. It is easy to get carried away with the build progressing so quickly........

Thread: Stockpiling
21/07/2019 09:16:34

And the worst of it is that - particularly for i.c. engine devotees - there will be far fewer secondhand engines in the years ahead beause the supply of new stock is diminishing now.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/07/2019 09:17:04

21/07/2019 07:45:26

Well Keith, I've decided I'm not holding back any more. I visited my local Kia dealer yesterday and filled in their "Declaration of Interest" form regarding an eNiro. As the supply situation now stands, Kia are not taking firm orders, and will now only ask for declarations of interest plus a deposit of £1000, which I paid by electronic transfer. I was asked to choose a vehicle colour, but it was stressed that at this stage it could only be a nominal choice. The provisional delivery date given was early 2021.... The salesman also stated that, due to the now considerable backlog of orders, Kia are soon to close the order book. I understand Hyundai - the partner company of Kia - have already closed their order book for the Kona EV because of demand. 

So now it's the waiting game......

So no Mr Fry, I didn't have a cheque. And at that I'll leave you to ponder your premature assumptions, and perhaps open a bottle of something, and maybe take a gulp for me because I don't touch the stuff........

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/07/2019 08:02:10

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/07/2019 08:15:29

20/07/2019 20:04:15

Ooops, I just spotted the strip ailerons on the plan. For some reason I was looking for insets.......

20/07/2019 20:00:18

Nu Me

If you have a tiny gap once you've joined the wings, it needn't be an issue. You could simply fill the gap with Aliphatic glue. It might be best to leave joining the wing until much later. Because once you have joined it you'll find it awkward to move the wing around the shed, or wherever it is you're building. Once the wing is finally joined, you could strengthen the joint greatly by wrapping a 3 inch wide bandage (as in medical gauze bandage) round the centre where the plywood brace is. Coat the bandage in 2 or 3 coats of Aliphatic, and it'll be plenty strong enough. As a nice bonus the iron on covering film will stick to the dried Aliphatic really well.

I just noticed the ailerons, or rather the lack of. Are these cut away later?

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/07/2019 20:02:54

Thread: ASP etc gone
20/07/2019 19:48:31

Noise may not be the only thing holding them back Paul. Some folk - myself included - just cannot abide the stink of petrol, particularly within the confines of a car. I tried it but it was a no go for me........

Plus there's no way that could be flown at our site. There would be complaints within minutes. Ok if you can get away with it though.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/07/2019 20:09:10

20/07/2019 19:36:11

There we go Andy. Straight from the top. It wasn't vastly different back in 1993 when I bought my first Laser - a .75. I went on to buy a further 5 or 6, including a V twin.

You rang to place your order, but first you had a chat with Neil Tidey, the "father" of the original Laser range of engines. He'd ask you what model(s) you'd be flying with it, and perhaps the style of flying you indulged in etc. Then you waited until your engine was built, test run and posted out to you. Nothing happened rapidy, even back then. But, as most of us know, the wait was/is well worth it.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/07/2019 19:40:35

Thread: ASP etc gone
20/07/2019 18:08:09

It'd be a total waste of time Colin. I'd simply end up with posterior kicker's cramp........

20/07/2019 18:03:11

With respect Andy, you need to understand how it all works at Laser Engines. Laser couldn't operate like that. I'm certain Jon will explain all.........

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us