By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Percy Verance

Here is a list of all the postings Percy Verance has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Laser engines. What do you want?
18/09/2018 16:43:42

Love the funky 70's hexagnol paving. And Thatcher's Gold is a perfect complement to relaxation Jon, but I recommend you give Strongbow Cloudy Apple a Whirl......

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/09/2018 16:44:12

Thread: What would be a good first Balsa build
17/09/2018 19:23:36

Looks to have a lot of incidence relative to the tailplane Piers, but it might be down to the folds in the plan. Paper can sometimes stretch.

Thread: Saito Glow Plugs
16/09/2018 13:24:18

Rocker

Do a Google search using Saito Info and you should find a good US based Saito reference site. It isn't in any way an official Saito site but it is written by someone who appears to know his stuff. Lots of hints, tips and other info on there. Well worth a look.......

I'm quite surprised nobody in the UK has done a similar thing for Lasers. Still, it probably isn't necessary with Jon Harper being so accessible....

Oh, and don't use anything less than 10% nitro fuel. If you do, then you won't see it at it's best. US modellers use 15 and 20% nitro in their Saitos I believe.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/09/2018 13:33:27

16/09/2018 12:34:59

Just use an OS type F Rocker. You'll still be looking at Christmas for Saito plugs. They'll all go to the US........

Thread: DOZY-1: Flying on less than 10 Watts per pound
16/09/2018 12:31:40

Anti - warp strips kc. Much used on lightweight free flight jobs built from thin balsa sheet. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/09/2018 12:33:06

Thread: Ripmax EasyStreet 2
16/09/2018 10:54:03

Bob

I'd take a look at Carbon Copy. They'll almost certainly have something.....

Thread: Multiplex Funray
16/09/2018 09:05:28

No, sadly unflown as yet. Been suffering a few minor health issues, but they're under control. Just lately the weather hasn't been playing ball up here in the Lakes (wind and rain), and I have to admit that what time I've had along with good enough weather, has been spent teaching someone to fly.

Ah yes, the cost. The latest high tech foamies from Mpx do sport top end price tags, but they are undoubtedly well sorted high quality products. I bought the Funray after being prompted by my Heron purchase. I liked the look of it a lot, and it does seem to be a slight progression from the avarage big floater with it's warmliner looks/performance. In the end I found it hard to resist. I have purchased a couple of Turnigy Graphene 3300 60c packs for it, and hopefully these will do the trick. It seems selectiing higher C rated packs is the way to go if you want decent performance.

So in conclusion I'd have to agree that they're expensive, but I think you're also paying for the ( probably quite considerable) development cost along with the quality motors and esc's they're suppied with. A slightly less costly route could be to buy the kit and fit your own choice of powertrain, but again unless good quality components are used, you may not realise the Funray's full potential. Horses for courses I guess.......

In the meantime I'm waiting for a crisp Autumnal morning.......

16/09/2018 09:05:26

No, sadly unflown as yet. Been suffering a few minor health issues, but they're under control. Just lately the weather hasn't been playing ball up here in the Lakes (wind and rain), and I have to admit that what time I've had along with good enough weather, has been spent teaching someone to fly.

Ah yes, the cost. The latest high tech foamies from Mpx do sport top end price tags, but they are undoubtedly well sorted high quality products. I bought the Funray after being prompted by my Heron purchase. I liked the look of it a lot, and it does seem to be a slight progression from the avarage big floater with it's warmliner looks/performance. In the end I found it hard to resist. I have purchased a couple of Turnigy Graphene 3300 60c packs for it, and hopefully these will do the trick. It seems selectiing higher C rated packs is the way to go if you want decent performance.

So in conclusion I'd have to agree that they're expensive, but I think you're also paying for the ( probably quite considerable) development cost along with the quality motors and esc's they're suppied with. A slightly less costly route could be to buy the kit and fit your own choice of powertrain, but again unless good quality components are used, you may not realise the Funray's full potential. Horses for courses I guess.......

In the meantime I'm waiting for a crisp Autumnal morning.......

Thread: Best Building Guide or Book for first time builder
13/09/2018 16:20:10

Wow MAP. That's where we got our insurance cover before the BMFA started offering it.......

Five bob, an absolute bargain.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/09/2018 16:21:25

Thread: BMFA subs increase.
12/09/2018 17:39:46

Yes I voted John, with my wallet. I joined another organisation.

Thread: Best Building Guide or Book for first time builder
12/09/2018 17:20:43

Wow, I remember buying that one Michael.........

And returning to the original post. Given that artf's have been in abundance now for 10+ years, might it be time for a new publication (or two), given the trend for some artf'ers to move to building?

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/09/2018 17:24:08

Thread: BMFA subs increase.
12/09/2018 15:39:41

It isn't a question of *fault* Pete. The BMFA have set out their stall, but the market has (or is in the process) of changing.

The FPVUK will no doubt increase their numbers further still. As has been mentioned earlier, they must be doing *it* right. For sure, the FPV scene does have something of a "buzz" going for it just now, and I guess we'll see where it goes.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/09/2018 15:42:09

12/09/2018 15:11:12

You said it David. Fate will run it's course.

Perhaps at some point we might see the return of individuals acquiring their own insurance cover, as we did back in the MAP days. It might keep costs lower..... Who knows? But certainly, the FPVUK organisation are offering cover which will appeal to many.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/09/2018 15:32:04

12/09/2018 14:48:55

Well here's another initiative the BMFA could try. How about approaching the big model distributors - Ripmax, Perkins etc, and negotiating a discount for their 30 odd thousand members? Perhaps this might go some way to prop up the UK hobby industry? Or even prompt people to join the BMFA?

And while we're at it. Most if not all BMFA members live in a house and drive to their flying fields. Why can't the BMFA negotiate a discount on house insurance or tyres for their cars? Other organisations with far fewer members seem to do it. Why can't the BMFA?

The Energy Club on the Moneysavingexpert site - which is free to join - negotiates reduced rate energy tarriffs with the big 6 energy firms, and they have *just* 25000 members. Yet another example. We ALL use energy.

I'm constantly bemused at people heaping praise and plaudits on the BMFA for doing what they're supposed to be doing! They could do so much more for their members if the vision was there........

Anyway, there it is. The playing field is no longer level. Other organisations are now offering alternatives. The game is changing...............

And no, I won't be rejoining the BMFA unless the way it's run changes dramatically. The very thought of an inner clique with six times more voting clout than mere mortals makes my stomach churn. This isn't 1850 anymore. And I detest their *closed* shop ruling at club level. Closed shops were outlawed in industry years ago, but again the BMFA persist with it at club level.

Well you did ask.

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/09/2018 15:12:24

12/09/2018 14:01:12

Well the light's come on for one bloke.........I remember - in the SMAE days - when we had 1 million quid's worth of cover.  It would appear some people are abandoning the BMFA David.

You have a point regarding car damage David. At some clubs I've visited I've seen cars parked just yards from the pit area. It just isn't safe to do that. I visited the Blackpool & Fylde club a couple of weeks back during their Scale get together. They have it spot on, with cars 30 yards or more from the pit area, and the vast majority of their parking is in clearing among a copse of tall trees. 

In one club I belonged to 30 odd years back, car damage seemed to happen every 5 years or so, usually as the result of pilot error or similar. A model strike can inflict considerable damage to car. I once saw a small trainer type model hit the boot lid of a new Ford Fiesta, and it made a perfectly round hole where the spinner had entered first. Nasty. On another occasion a sheep was hit, and later had to be destroyed. The vets bill was settled and a new sheep bought.

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/09/2018 14:39:15

12/09/2018 13:45:40

The National Centre is of little use to me, as it's 200+ miles from my front door..............I'm hardly going to spend 3 hours on a motorway just to get 3 or 4 flights at the end of it when I can fly all day at our own field just a few hundred yards down the road from my bungalow. 

It's regrettable it hasn't prompted hundreds or thousands more people to take up the hobby. It was certainly touted as being a vehicle for doing just that. So, what now for the BMFA? By their own admission membership numbers are declining, and are set to decline further, so what's to be done? Maybe it'll be discussed over another black tie dinner........

Whatever the BMFA decide on, they need to do it promptly because the game is moving on rapidy with flyers joining alternative organisations in their dozens - or thousands in the case of FPV flyers. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/09/2018 14:08:07

11/09/2018 18:28:43

Er, the BMFA national flying site isn't "open" either. You must be a BMFA member to use it.....

And the LMA do organise several shows..........

You mentioned earlier you were only interested in facts.........

The LMA (as you stated) runs no competitions per se, but they do have their own dedicated events. Here's a few as an example

East Kirkby, Binham, Tibenham, Longhorsly, Southport, Cheddar, Strathaven,Elvington And Much Marcle.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/09/2018 18:37:19

11/09/2018 17:53:14

So £14 is a "bit" is it?   

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/09/2018 17:55:45

11/09/2018 15:51:30

Where my club fly, the landowner has requested we have no vehicles actually on the field..........so you either walk about 100 metres or go fly somewhere else.

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/09/2018 16:00:16

11/09/2018 15:31:40

There are two more organisations right now offering just that Tom.....

Perhaps the BMFA ought to consider other ways of generating income rather than relying mainly on membership subscriptions? Other organisations (some with considerably fewer members) do it, so why not the BMFA?

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/09/2018 16:03:46

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us