By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Radge

Here is a list of all the postings Radge has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Models to suit a hyperion HPz3013-14 ?
03/09/2012 21:09:43

A chuck launched model weighing no more than 3 1/2 lbs. What do you fancy? Scale, sport, 3D, powered glider, etc.

Thread: Biggles' Mess (the renamed cafe!)
03/09/2012 17:47:06

Aargh!! One of my pet hates! I realise that language evolves and so it should, however, when words eg. functionality, criminality etc. and phrases like 'fit for purpose' etc. are used at the highest level and therefore attain a respectability undue to them, it makes me seeth! In other words(no pun intended) it's being allowed to evolve in the wrong direction and down the path of lazyness. Blaming the education system, hot on the foot of the English GCSE exam results furore' I was absolutely astounded to discover that for years, marks have not been deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar and syntax! The untruthibilty of it!

Thread: Dick Dastardly
03/09/2012 08:15:29

Hi BBC, There is this. **LINK**

Thread: Disappointing kit
03/09/2012 00:29:08
Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 03/09/2012 00:06:34:

Martin, I thought it was the trees swinging back an forth that caused the wind, i have noticed that seems to happen a lot.smile p

Lol at Martin! BBC it's obviously an antipodean thing from your neck of the woods(groan), as every time the 70ft eucalyptus in my garden swings about I can't fly.face 20

Thread: Feels like autumn is approaching, what have you been flying?
03/09/2012 00:11:08

Here's the two hopeful maidens this week, Big Radge & Mini Radge. Although I have a few on the go, these are the first radio control aeroplanes I have ever built. Ever! Boy am I nervous.

"No! No! You can't make me do it!"

"You will fly these aeroplanes my lad! Are you a man or a mouse!"

"Eek eek eek!"

(PS the front windscreen on the large one is a perspex battery hatch.....in case you thought it strangely prominent)

graduate & mini radge.jpg

Edited By Radge on 03/09/2012 00:15:14

02/09/2012 21:02:54

Ooooh!! I love my Bixler!! What a lovely mix of stability, power and soaring ability. I had over an hour with it yesterday(2 x 1300mah lipo's) which consisted of 4 launches and allowed me to tweak both the control and weight balance perameters to acheive optimum performance. Add to this I practiced coordinated turns, manually using rudder and aileron, 'kicking the ball'(turn and slip reference) to minimise adverse yaw and achieve the cleanest turns possible, whilst taking advantage of the superb thermal activity(it has been booming!) Today was the best, over 2 hours soaring using 2 x 1300mah and 1 x 1500mah lipo's. You could not fail to hit a thermal today. One thing though, I must remember to fit one of my low voltage alarms before flying again, although none of my batteries were below 11.8v on landing, it was pure guess work with such a fantastic mix of zero throttle soaring and normal powered flight. The forecast is for even better weather this week so I hope I'm well enough to be able to take advantage it, as I have two self designs to maiden now. Fingers crossed.

Bless

Radge

PS. Did I say I loved my Bixler!

Thread: What's your favourite?
02/09/2012 11:16:39

I really struggle with warbirds of any age, shape or size(too many years in the RAF I suppose) but I do have a definite thing for the interwar 'golden age' aircraft. There are so many to choose from, but if I had to narrow it down I'd opt for the Schneider Trophy racers, especially the Gloster Mk VI

gloster 6.jpg

Thread: PT19 Maiden- At last
01/09/2012 21:07:05

Students first solo.

Thread: Becoming a qualified commercial pilot.
01/09/2012 20:40:33

It's hours, currency and expence thats the problem. If you are young enough and have a twin rating with night and IFR you could approach an airline as an advanced pupil, but normally it's university then approach an airline for selection. Good luck anyway Phil.

Thread: Main Spar Design
01/09/2012 17:19:36

Thank you KC, Mark Erfolg and Bob. I was right in asking this question as you have all responded in a marvellous, informative and explanitive manner. This, as I thought as much but through inexperience was unsure, has confirmed that I shall stick with spruce, top, bottom and web. Now then Mark, please elucidate on the cat situation. Lol. Thank you all again.

Bless

Radge

01/09/2012 13:04:13

I've just about finished my latest little project and as I seem to have developed a system of having 2 or 3 on the go at the same time(glue's drying on one so work on the other) I'm deciding what I fancy doing next and although I'm experimenting with as many different techniques as possible, I'm really reluctant to stray from spruce top and bottom spars with a shear web, it really does seem to make tapering quite an easy affair, however, I've noticed a lot of older plans and even the latest Corby Starlet plan use the notched single spar method which I would be tempted to alter to top, bottom and web.So to aid my decision on the selection of my next balsa bash could I beg on your experiences and ask you to indicate the pro's, cons, strengths and weaknesses of these methods and , or any other suggestions please.

Thank you all kindly

Radge

Thread: Top Gear for Pilots
01/09/2012 11:45:55

Good link,, thank you, I'll listen with great interest. I must confess when I saw your thread title I imagined 3 blokes being given the task of buying a 2nd hand flying model each for less than £15, carrying out some hilarious, outlandish tasks, culminating in a crash bang wallop finale'.

Thread: Hi
01/09/2012 11:23:50

Hello Dale, A marvellous decision, please keep us up to date with your progress.

Bless

Radge

Thread: Hobby King models thread
31/08/2012 18:25:02

That's not good Bill, but I do have some good news about Hobbyking, after the initial debacle of the state of the Bixler I received I flew it today and I have a new love. It's like pure silk with a pastoral symphony playing in the background. I managed to prise myself from the para olympics(I had entered myself for the wheelchair 200 grit balsa bash but I failed the drugs test. I wasn't taking enough) during a lull in the wind, trundled down to the sports field, guessed COG at 1/3 chord and threw it into wind. At half chat(thanks Garbo) it climbed smoothly above tree level and hovered nicely until I lowered the throttle and turned downwind. Checking the glide I cut the throttle and although not quite 5:1 it covered a very respectable amount of sky with little descernable loss of height. The wind then picked up so protecting my new investment I cut the flight early and it performed a Cadbury's Caramel landing on it's belly. At no time did I have to alter any trim settings. Happy with that!

Thread: Ideas for articles in RCM&E
31/08/2012 10:55:06

An article on understanding the weather, what to look out for, what to expect and how it will affect flying an aircraft. Also perhaps an article on airspace, understanding the rules, restrictions and hazards.

Thread: Vickers Viscount
30/08/2012 23:41:46

That's great, thanks Tony & BEB, I've just been getting my noggin around the torque and propwash issues with regards to fuselage and tail fin/rudder configurations ie. the large tail on a DC3, Stirling, Sunderland etc. and the relatively slim fuselage and twin tails on the Lancaster and BF110 and the effects of assymetric configurations.(engine failures). Tony is obviously minimising this likelyhood by having the inners and outers on different circuits but I should imagine the large fuselage section and smallish tail fin/rudder on the Viscount would still make this a pig to control no matter the configuration and would take more skill than I possess to safely survive a motor outage. So I shall leave the Viscount build 'til later. Much later. Thank you.

Bless

Radge

30/08/2012 19:55:35

Hi Tony may I congratulate you on a very skillful build which I have studied with great interest and has been an education for me. Just one question, I notice all the props seem to turning in the same direction, is this OK for a multi of this design? Being a novice and contemplating a multi motor build project, I would be very interested to know. Thank you.

Bless

Radge

Thread: Flying Legends Mini Series Mustang
30/08/2012 19:41:11

In less than 1/2 an hour at the NATS I counted no less than 8 people carrying FL Spits & Ponies back to their cars. They must have been flying(excuse the pun) off the shelves. Stack em high, sell em low! Assuming an 8 hr purchasing period less about 10% for indicision, thats about 60 models sold to customers in that part of the show alone. I think you'll find that this thread is about to become very popular soon.

Thread: Hello!
30/08/2012 17:56:23

Ha ha Ha! You're quite incorrigable CS!

30/08/2012 17:45:29

A big hello Liam! Welcome to the forum. Would love to see your paper plane 'Concorde' design, have you any photo's?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!