By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for avtur

Here is a list of all the postings avtur has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vintage photo's
10/12/2014 10:49:22

What a brilliant collection of pictures, thanks for sharing.

AARB - first registered to Michael Sassoon 24th August 1935 at West Mallling

Thread: Drone Near Miss.
09/12/2014 10:29:48

The BBC are running a good article (well I think it is ...) entitled "Where you can and can't fly a drone", I think this is the type of article that will help get the matter more widely understood in the public domain.

Sure there are those who will break the law regardless, but this will help the many (I suspect) who are simply unaware that there are rules governing the use of drones.

The CAA are advising that the Police should be the first point of contact for anyone wishing to report concerns about drones. 

Quote ....  "The CAA's focus is purely safety. For the criminal use of drones, including harassment, anti-social behaviour or damage to property, it is a police matter. If people have concerns about a drone being flown in public they should call the police, a CAA spokesman says. "Local police can assess the situation in real time and, if there is any evidence of breaching the air navigation order, they will pass on any information on to us."

BBC link

Edited By avtur on 09/12/2014 10:33:53

08/12/2014 03:36:28

I was going to post a link to the same story.

Personally I don't think that model flyers should over react to this, the powers that be (in particular the CAA and BMFA) know full well that the people causing problems with "drones" are not genuine 'model flyers' they are typically a new group of flyers who are drawn to "aerial antics" by the ever increasing availability and reducing cost of "drone type aircraft".

I would suggest that as responsible model flyers if we see (or become aware of) this sort of activity we should make the appropriate authorities aware. I think it would enhance the reputation of responsible model flyers if we were seen to be helping to 'police' such unsafe and irresponsible behaviour.

My general rule in life is "live and let live" but when I see reports of a 'drone' type aircraft being seen in close proximity to commercial aircraft then I believe action is called for.

In my opinion the worst outcomes of this behaviour could be a commercial aircraft having to manoeuvre to avoid a drone or at very worst a drone could be ingested into an engine which would most likely cause an immediate shut down, which is where it gets very serious.

A couple of months ago an aircraft arriving into Manchester had to carry out out a "go around", which is a perfectly normal procedure for commercial aircraft, somehow a passenger on board managed to convince the local paper that this was some sort of life threatening event and it resulted in a ridiculous and disproportionate amount of media coverage ... that said I dread to think what would be reported if there was an incident between a drone and a commercial aircraft.

Thread: Which Frequency Scanner??
23/11/2014 12:31:26

Shame that Maplins didn't come up to expectation.

I use a TTI model TSC-100RA which came from Maplins, it's a small format type, no number pad but at less than £70 including rechargeable batteries and charger it has been good value for money.

Thread: Model flying technologies recent developments and the BMFA position
20/11/2014 16:48:58

Thanks John F for providing the link ...

20/11/2014 16:26:30

BMFA has issued an interesting statement this afternoon.

Sounds positive and recognises the challenges as new technology becomes more widely and easily available.

It is on the BMFA news page and features on the BMFA Facebook page.

Thread: Freeview Box Wanted
20/11/2014 11:07:58

I have no interest in any of the Sky/Virgin options; movies, sports etc just not my cup of tea. I find that Freeview provides all that a I want.

For me Freeview via Humax HD box has been an excellent choice. Humax isn't the cheapest option but after much searching I decided it was worth paying a little more for one of their boxes, customer reviews are consistently very good.

Also the Humax comes with some internet TV options which I am beginning to find my way around, I think 'media' content delivered via the internet through either TV or Recording box is probably where the future lies.

My overall solution is a one off purchase of the Humax box and unlimited phone and internet from Plusnet for under £25 per month. This keeps me entertained and 'connected' to the world for what I consider to be a reasonable price.

Edited By avtur on 20/11/2014 11:08:57

Thread: Toilet humour
01/11/2014 23:43:28
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 01/11/2014 22:03:49:

Try to do that with the electronic version.

It's very easy, thats why they are called laptops !!!!

Thread: A warning
31/10/2014 20:34:54

Local media here in the North West are reporting concerns that the Manchester derby football match (Manchester United vs. Manchester City for those who don't follow football) could be subject to "drone" interference.

A game at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester City's home ground, has already been subject to drone interference within the last few weeks, an FPV device launched from a local supermarket car park.

The police are aware of this threat and have stated the force helicopter will be on hand (not sure what good that would do - but probably sounds good to Joe-Public)

I don't know what the intel is that suggests this match could be a target but I hope it is wrong, we will know by Sunday evening.

Thread: Mossie on the full size circuit next year?
26/10/2014 20:30:49

Thank goodness for the Canadians ...

Thread: Weetabix
24/10/2014 17:59:31
Posted by Andjo on 24/10/2014 17:52:39:

Hi all,

Greetings from Belgium. I find the best way to eat Weetabix is with butter and Marmite!!

You love iy or you hate it.

That sounds great, must give it a try, I love marmite and have tried it in many combinations

This might be on a par with weetabix and baked beans ... Hmmm lovely!!!

24/10/2014 17:52:55
Posted by Martyn K on 24/10/2014 14:54:19:

I hate eating crushed weetabix - it goes soggy far too quickly

M

each to his own ... my favourite is two whole weetabix with a third one crushed over the top ... either for breakfast or a late evening snack !!!

Thread: Phantom Drone over Etihad Stadium
20/10/2014 21:41:37
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 20/10/2014 17:21:40:

If he's flying over a Man City Game then the Premier League can also sue him for Copyright Infringement

The cynics are suggesting this is the most likely reason for following up this matter ...

Thread: Looking for a receiver for a Parkzone Radian
13/10/2014 03:44:55

Just my 2p's worth ...

There are many threads elsewhere on the forum about counterfeit equipment.

I know from my own experience that I have bought what I thought was a "genuine Spektrum Rx" from what I thought was a genuine modelling outlet. It turned out to be a fake and I 'binned it' as soon as I realised ... thanks to information from this forum.

For the sake of a few £'s please make sure you get a genuine Rx ... that way you are assured of reliable equipment

Thread: Guy Martin's Spitfire
13/10/2014 03:29:25
Posted by Martin Harris on 12/10/2014 22:54:20:

A decent watch but why was it claimed to be a rebuild?

I'm following a number of threads on full size aviation forums regarding this program, it appears the typical content of a "rebuild" is around 5 -10%

Edited By avtur on 13/10/2014 03:30:10

Thread: Have You Tried To Renew Your Vehicle Tax Today?
02/10/2014 19:04:31
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 02/10/2014 16:53:43:

You cant, but that's the reason there is a 14 day exemption period when any of the following apply:

Transfer of Keeper

At first registration

When a valid tax disc has been lost/stolen (now clearly redundant)

Is that part of the new regulation?

That sounds familiar but only in regard to the previous regime where there was also an offence of "failure to display (a tax disc)". The 14 days was a pragmatic allowance given to allow the purchase of a physical disc. There is no longer anything to display.

02/10/2014 05:56:30

Posted by avtur on 02/10/2014 05:50:08:
Posted by Codename-John on 01/10/2014 22:51:55:

the new system is the rip off, you are not able to pass on any remaining tax if you sell your car, you have to cancel the tax and the buyer has to tax it immediately, as you can only purchase or refund whole months, the WHOLE of one month will be taxed twice for the same vehicle

I agree and that is the interpretation that most people seem to have given what I've read on a number of motoring web forums.

What I can see happening is that some people will buy cars and take a chance not taxing it straight away and then submit their new owner documentation to the DVLA starting the first of the following month. DVLA will then see a gap between the sale date (as notified by the previous owner) and the date notified by the new owner, that gap is permissible IF the new owner/keeper is willing to declare SORN status for that period of time. I expect that some people will try it on, it will be interesting to see how the DVLA deal with that.

Detection will only occur "if" the vehicle is seen on the road during that untaxed period, likely to be one or two weeks. Apparently the DVLA only have a dozen enforcement vehicles themselves (for the UK) so the chances of being spotted by them are quite remote. The more likely detection will arise from ANPR equipped police vehicles, I'm not convinced that the police will see taking action on a vehicle which is out of date on road tax by a a few days as a high priority item. A good reason to stop and ask questions certainly, but if everything else is in order I'm not sure that enforcement action would result if the tax was only a week or two out of date.

I should say that I am not in anyway advocating such behaviour and would not condone it, however I'm applying a degree of pragmatism which I believe is likely to occur in the real world.

Edited By avtur on 02/10/2014 05:57:22

02/10/2014 05:50:08
Posted by Codename-John on 01/10/2014 22:51:55:

the new system is the rip off, you are not able to pass on any remaining tax if you sell your car, you have to cancel the tax and the buyer has to tax it immediately, as you can only purchase or refund whole months, the WHOLE of one month will be taxed twice for the same vehicle

I agree and that is the interpretation that most people seem to have given what I've read on a number of motoring web forums.

What I can see happening is that some people will buy cars and take a chance not taxing it straight away and then submit their new owner documentation to the DVLA starting the first of the following month. DVLA will then see a gap between the sale date (as notified by the previous owner) and the date notified by the new owner, that gap is permissible IF the new owner/keeper is willing to declare SORN status for that period of time. I expect that some people will try it on, it will be interesting to see how the DVLA deal with that.

Detection will only occur "if" the vehicle is seen on the road during that untaxed period, likely to be one or two weeks. Apparently the DVLA only have a dozen enforcement vehicles themselves (for the UK) so the chances of being spotted by them are quite remote. The more likely detection will arise from ANPR equipped police vehicles, I'm not convinced that the police will see taking action on a vehicle which is out of date on road tax by a a few days as a high priority item.

01/10/2014 17:35:38
Posted by Colin Ashman on 01/10/2014 16:59:12:

..... . I even watched an interview on TV recently by the guy who runs the DVLA and he made no mention of it. .....

The guy from the DVLA seems only to want to tell us about the £10m that will be saved on printing and postage costs from not issuing discs. Since when did a £10m item (in terms of government spending) deserve a mention, it is not even peanuts in the scheme of things.

What the guy from DVLA is conveniently forgetting to tell us about is the additional revenue generated by the double charge for 1 month for almost every second hand car sales transaction that will take place in future. This isn't a one off benefit it will continue as long a VED exists. I've heard one commentator suggest this gain will be in the order of £90m per year.

The rounding off to full months for a refund (when selling) and back charging to the first of the month (when buying) is a blatant double charge. With all the technology why do we have to round to the nearest month?

To be fair about the online renewal system I used it a 6pm yesterday (30/9) and it took less than a minute to complete the transaction.

Edited By avtur on 01/10/2014 17:37:20

Thread: Splash & Goes with my Empire flyingboat
23/09/2014 19:26:44
Posted by Bart83 on 23/09/2014 18:29:15:

Thanks for the kind words chaps

The kind words are well deserved, a terrific model flown in a beautiful setting by skilled pilot ... you should be very proud.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us