By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for avtur

Here is a list of all the postings avtur has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: More to the Micro Stik than you think?
26/07/2011 23:32:07
I bought a Micro Stik on impulse less than a week ago. I was off for a solo weekend at our caravan in Caernarfon (from Stockport) and called in a Steve Webb models to pick up a couple of batteries for my MSR Blade Heli.

Now you are going to love this next bit of logic ... in my hurry to pack the car and get on my way I forgot to pack the battery charger for the Blade .... I arrived at Steve Webb shop and bought the spare batteries I needed for the Blade and asked if they had a cheapo charger for that size of battery, unfortunately they did not. However during the conversation it transpired that the Micro Stik used the same battery as the Blade .... you'll love this ... so I bought the Micro Stik because I could charge the batteries from the included Tx !!!!

It turned out to be a great weekend for weather so the Micro Stik got to see many flights itself. I am returning after a 15+ year break and the Micro Stik is mode 2 ... where I used to fly mode 1 .... somehow or other I seem to be getting to grips with this mode 2 stuff and the 'Stik really is a ton of fun.

I did make make one mistake, I was flying on a beach at sunset ... I managed to blind myself with the sun and the poor 'Stik got a slight dumping in a couple of inches of sea water .... oooops .... it wasn't designed for that and the main pcb got fried ....

Given the price of the main pcb on its own I decided to buy another 'Stik complete and there by create a large number of spare parts for little more than cost of the pcb. Back home in Stockport I've flown the new 'Stik in the local park tonight; there was a slight breeze and therefore it IS demanding, However in the space of a few days I have put more than a dozen batteries through it and we're still here to tell the tale.

For an absolute beginner the 'Stick would have to be flown indoors or in real dead calm conditions; however with a bit of a breeze it is a real challenge, which is actually quite rewarding to overcome.

So ... where do I go from here ... I'm thinking a powered sailplane would be the next step ... does anyone have any recommendations. In my sights I have the Art-Tech Diamond 1800 and Spektrum DX6i combo ... beyond that the WOT 4-e has great appeal.

I'm sure there are plenty of opinions out there ...I would be grateful to hear them ...

Cheers
Thread: Stockport air Disaster
24/07/2011 13:52:22
I saw the Stockport Argonaut shortly before it crashed, I lived in Romiley at the time and it flew over head probably just a minute before it's sad loss.

My Dad was due to fly to Oslo from MAN later that day, he had a dreadful fear of flying, if he had known what had happened he would never have flown, but his boss managed to get him to the airport without him finding out (much easier in those days - news coverage took a great deal longer to circulate).

A small piece of modelling trivia to add, the crash site was Hopes Carr in Stockport, within 100 yards of a mill building which was later to become the home of Javis Manufacturing the model goods manufacturing and wholesale company.
Thread: Hi there - returning after a long break!
24/07/2011 13:17:22
Hi there,

Think I'm going to need the assistance of the forum as I pick the reigns of fixed wing model flying after break of over 15 years!

Used to fly power sport and some slope soaring (on 35AM - that dates me!) and was a mode 1 flyer. I recently was given one of these mini indoor helicopters as a bit of a joke present and that has reignited my interest.

However as simple as the mini heli is it has a 3 channel mode 2 tx which I am now becoming used to. So my first decision is going to be which mode to adopt for my first purchase, I'd be pleased from anyone who has any experience of changing mode after a similar break?

I'm based in Stockport so might be looking at local club activity, I expect my first model to be electric power glider/sport to give me a gentle learning curve.

Cheers.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us