By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for avtur

Here is a list of all the postings avtur has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Safety worries lead US airline to ban battery shipments
04/03/2015 10:03:56

The airlines make a clear distinction between carrying 'loose' batteries as cargo vs. batteries installed in equipment, which is why the ban is on carrying them as cargo.

The concern is physical damage which can result from the way cargo is handled, the battery in a laptop, camera, ipod et al are not believed to be exposed to the same risk of poor handling.

In recent years two 747 freighters have crashed as a result of onboard fires attributed to carrying batteries as cargo, four crew members killed but luckily no one on the ground.

Edited By avtur on 04/03/2015 10:06:56

Thread: Am I being cynical ?
04/03/2015 09:54:23

The pictures tell the story ...

And they're going to want £3bn - (yes 3 billion!) from us to refurbish Westminster so they can carry on this way.

I'm sure we'll all be happy to chip in ... won't we? angry 2

Thread: Giz A lift
04/03/2015 00:17:36

Quite amazing ... apparently this particular Weasal is about the size and weight of a Mars bar .... the Weasal was intent on attacking the Woodpecker as a likely meal ... however the Woodpecker had other ideas and took to the air with the Weasal on its back ... apparently soon after the picture was taken the Woodpecker landed and the Weasal departed without harming the Woodpecker !!

Thread: First gas model ...
28/02/2015 22:32:23

This may be one of my misunderstandings, but I'm thinking that petrol two strokes don't rev as highly as 'nitro' two strokes. So in the scale of noise then a nitro 2 stroke is at the top of the scale with nitro 4 stroke and petrol 2 stoke somewhat down the scale.

I'm sure that choice of silencer/muffler must have an effect, I would be grateful to hear the opinions of those who are better informed than myself.

The absolute noise level isn't a limiting factor, just that the put-put-put of a lower speed exhaust is more appealing.

Edited By avtur on 28/02/2015 22:33:56

28/02/2015 20:46:21

I'm your typical returning modeller in that I've been totally overwhelmed by advances in electric power. Over the past 3 years I've accumulated a collection of various electric ARTF models, they have served their purpose very well, without the convenience of electric I would not have returned to the fold.

However I do have an inkling to fly something which goes suck-squeeze-bang blow! Previously I loved the sound of four strokes but I'm beginning to think that petrol two strokes might be the way forward.

If, and that's a big IF, I understand it correctly a petrol two stroke can offer a very high level of reliability, almost to the point of electrics, in that once set up all you do is put fuel in and they go. Is that realistic or have I just read reports that are overly optimistic about running petrol two strokes?

Given that I have a passionate love of Cubs, reflected in my electric fleet, what would the panel suggest as a good entry level combination into the world of petrol two stroke flight?

I'm a grey haired, semi-retired sport flyer ... I admire those who can fly 3D but that's not my ambition ... I'm looking for something that 'bimbles' very well!

Am I correct in my thinking about petrol two strokes and what would the panel suggest ??

Edited By avtur on 28/02/2015 21:01:36

Thread: Been conned recently?
25/02/2015 22:40:14

Retailers like to sell us vouchers knowing they can be either forgotten about or lost, both of which are a gain to the retailer and a loss to the customer.

There's another down side of vouchers if a retailer goes out of business; when a business goes down tubes all too often any vouchers in circulation are immediately worthless.

There are many good reasons why vouchers are bought but if you want to be sure that someone receives the full value of a cash gift then giving cash is the only guarantee (OK you could loose the cash, but I think we're generally better at looking after real money!)

Thread: Piloted a B737-800 from Liverpool to Edinburgh today!
14/02/2015 20:16:03

Full size flight sims are something else.

I was given a '737 flight sim' experience as a leaving gift from work about 18 months ago, it was at Virtual Aerospace at Sywell

I chose to fly MAN - LBA - MAN because I know both airports very well.

It was like a workout in the gym, the work load both physical and mental was enormous, no autopilot.

Well worth the money ...

Thread: (D) Day tomorrow
13/02/2015 13:00:17

Well done trebor your reminder might have saved someone's neck !

I have a meal arranged, card and flowers bought (proper florist job!). Flowers safely out of sight locked away in my hobby den in the garage, a place Mrs Avtur never goes.

Hopefully that's a few brownie points in the bank.

Edited By avtur on 13/02/2015 13:01:13

Thread: Headlamp change ... take the wheel off of course!
12/02/2015 11:47:59
Posted by Andy48 on 12/02/2015 11:41:39:

Austin 1100 actually. Great car really. The diversity of faults on the car set me up for life as a home mechanic. cheeky

+1 yes couldn't agree more, hence the frustration with modern black box technology.

However I also agree with your earlier comment the benefits of ECU's.

11/02/2015 21:55:17
Posted by Andy48 on 11/02/2015 20:24:36:

I wonder whether the French police expect you to carry complete light clusters for those that use LED lighting?

I hope not. A friend of mine owns a VW Phaeton, it's just shy of 5 years old and has LED lighting all around.

He recently had a problem with a rear indicator, however the indicator is part of a larger cluster, the whole lot had to be replaced at over £500!

11/02/2015 14:04:45

Agree with you Chuck P, however my classic is more toy and none too practical for modelling purposes!

It's OK for a run out to Webby's to buy a couple of Lipo's ... but not much more

spitfire.jpg

Lucky I have a trusty '04 Focus Estate (which is quite cheap to run thanks to Euro Car Parts) for flying field duties.

Edited By avtur on 11/02/2015 14:05:33

Thread: This quarter's BMFA news
11/02/2015 13:56:14
Posted by Tomtom39 on 11/02/2015 12:59:54:

The matter of having an electronic issue was raised some two/three years ago at the BMFA AGM . I think it was voted down (I got there a bit late so wasn't there to find out reason). I hate waste and would be happy to have an electronic copy.

I'm a committee member of a car club (older collectible vehicles 1930's through 1970's). We produce a monthly magazine, a modest little A5 affair. When sent through the post it attracts the lowest tier of charge (53p). We produce and distribute about 150 copies per month so the production and postage costs are both modest and affordable. (I appreciate this is on a different scale to the BMFA mag)

We have been debating the on-line vs. hard copy question for last 3-4 years. The consensus of opinion is still strongly in favour of hard copy so we’re sticking with that for now.

However, since the magazine is produced as a PDF to send to a commercial printer we’ve recently started to place a copy of the PDF on the club website, this has the effect of introducing it’s on-line presence without forcing people to use it.

The most common comment in favour of a printed copy is the flexibility of when and where it can be read, which is clearly valued by our membership. Now an on-line version could be printed at home by the member to give the same flexibility, however our membership are quite savvy and realise that it’ll cost them both paper and ink, hence we’ll carry on as we are for now. Also not all members are on-line.

Thread: Headlamp change ... take the wheel off of course!
11/02/2015 12:46:26
Posted by Cuban8 on 11/02/2015 10:23:16:

Went to a local car spares shop and they wanted £10 for a bog standard halogen lamp - non branded as well. No chance!

A couple of years ago I started using Euro Car Parts, they have a counter just 4 miles from where I live and they have an extensive range of parts

The prices are generally excellent (they knock spots of Halfords), typically they offer budget and branded options on most parts. They have a very good website which leads you directly to parts for your car when you enter the registration number. Once you've found the parts you need there is a click and collect service. Order the part online and its ready for collection within minutes, which works fine for me since it usually takes just 15-20 mins to drive there.

They have counters around the country, well worth a try if you happen to life near one.

Money saved on car parts can then be spent on models teeth 2

Oh, and I don't work for them, I'm just a very satisfied customer and happy to recommend on that basis.

11/02/2015 10:15:48
Posted by ted hughes on 11/02/2015 05:53:36:

This Guardian columnist agrees:**LINK**

He paid £90 for a bulb change.

Halfords will do it for about £7 I believe.

I believe Halfords are selective about what they will fit. I researched several Ford owners forums and there were many comments that Halfords refused to touch Mk1 Ka headlamps; there were several comments to the effect that Halfords have a 15 minute time limit.

I suppose its understandable that they have a limit, after all £6.99 can only buy so much time.

I'm just surprised that headlamp bulb change such a simple car as the Mk1 Ka is not as straight forward as I had expected.

Given that I cut my automotive teeth on the likes of the Morris Minor, Austin A35 and A40 I guess I'm just showing my age!

11/02/2015 02:15:02

A few weeks ago older daughter turned up at home asking if I could check the lights on her Mk 1 Ford Ka.

The o/s dipped headlamp had blown, there are separate bulbs for dipped and main beam but both sit in the same housing.

A quick look under the bonnet revealed that access was very poor, what was required was a hand the size of a 5 years old's with the strength and experience of an adult mechanic. After several attempts and scraped knuckles I realised I needed a plan B.

An option I've used on several cars over the years has been to remove the complete headlamp unit, so I decided to try this. I then found that removing the headlamp requires that half the front bumper and the wheelarch trim have to be released; and even then access to one of the three headlamp mounting bolts is still extremely difficult. I did manage it but it took over 90 minutes start to finish.

Yesterday we discover the recently replaced bulb has blown ...aaargh! After some searching on Google (where this problem is well documented) I found another suggestion; to jack the car up, remove the front wheel and plastic wheel-arch liner and approach the headlamp unit from below. I decided to give this a try and much to my surprise it worked and I had the job completed in 30 minutes.

From what I've read the subject of replacing headlamp bulbs on many cars is riddled with similar examples where it's very difficult, certainly not a roadside job. It's strange because in some European countries carrying spare bulbs is mandatory, not much use if you have part dismantle the car to fit the bulb.

Edited By avtur on 11/02/2015 02:34:55

Thread: Language Timothy!
09/02/2015 16:40:50
Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 09/02/2015 15:59:29:

Talking of intuitive spelling and changing the written word to suit, I struggle to understand why more than a few folk (yes, here as well!) insist on typing 'defiantly' when what they mean, and presumably say when talking, is 'definitely'.

When incorrect words are used in writing, as opposed to in conversation, I wonder how much of that might be because we fall foul of two particular modern inventions; namely the spell checker and predictive text.

Both have their uses but can't be relied upon to be accurate all the time, you have to double check the output of these 'modern aids' to be sure they produce what was intended. I'm sure we all know people who have been caught out this way.

Personally I think spell checkers are wonderful, but a spell checker set to auto correct without confirmation by the writer can lead to problems.

Thread: BMFA Electric Indoor Masters 2015
08/02/2015 18:03:34

Just returned from an afternoon out at the Electric Indoor event.

Have never seen this discipline in the flesh so was interested to take a look.

Seeing a model reverse vertically upwards was an eye openerteeth 2

The two Dutch guys who flew a syncro routine to music were amazing.

Well worth the drive across from Stockport and well done to the organisers.

Thread: Language Timothy!
08/02/2015 03:21:05

Ooopps too late to edit my previous post ... my opening line should have read "14 miles NW of Kirkwall" ... and not NE ... which would be in the North Sea!

Sorry about that but the 'edit' function doesn't last very long!

Edited By avtur on 08/02/2015 03:23:14

08/02/2015 02:45:57
Posted by TheFlyingCrust on 07/02/2015 22:59:38:

Good job I don't live in the village just to the west of Bere Regis in Dorset. Effingham has nothing on this!

I've worked all around the UK, there is a village 14 miles NE of Kirkwall on Orkney which may raise an eyebrow, or a smile, depending on your sense of humour.

The OP talked about swearing at the flying field, realistically I think that probably comes down to a just a handful of words (I think we all know what they are but obviously on this forum we don't say them).

Erfolg has alluded to a far greater variety of words but I'm not really sure they are relevant to the core of what the OP was commenting on, which I think is probably some basic anglo saxon stuff.

In this world there are a huge variety of people which accounts for different use of language, in my experience use of languages does not relate to social status or educational achievement, there is no common factor.

Some of the most colourful language I've heard has come from people who might well be described as captains of industry.

I come from a background where swearing in the presence of ladies was not done, however in todays world I find that ladies can hold their own with men in the language department.

As regards swearing in the presence of children I will always regard that as a no-no, however my experience of dealing with young people is that they develop the swearing capability at an alarmingly early age. My older daughter teaches 9 year olds in a nice leafy suberb of south Manchester, the stories she has to tell about the language of the kids and the parents are startling. 

I think there is also a comment to be made about the intent of swearing, I think as far the language used at the flying field there is no intent to cause offence with what might be said; howeve similar words might be used by folks after a beery night out where there probably is an aggressive intent behind the use of the same words. 

Edited By avtur on 08/02/2015 03:00:47

Thread: Oopsy daisy!!
07/02/2015 18:15:20

According to the official 'Airprox report the model pilot estimated his height to be in the order of 250 feet, while the pilot of the Grob Tutor has reported being at 600 feet, which has been confirmed by reviewing radar recordings. The model is reported to be a Seagull Extra.

The Airprox investigating board commended the model flying club for taking part in the Airprox investigation process, which must be good for the reputation of model flyers. Neither party was considered to be blameworthy,

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us