By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy48

Here is a list of all the postings Andy48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Looking for a ARTF Trainer - non-foam
27/11/2017 11:59:33

E-Pioneer is made by Seagull.

Thread: Motor mounting
27/11/2017 11:56:05

I had one scary occasion when the prop flew off from an electric motor, due to the prop adaptor not being secured tight enough/far enough on the shaft. Ever since I have always used the type of prop adaptor where the adaptor is screwed to the can. Much safer!

Thread: Looking for a ARTF Trainer - non-foam
27/11/2017 11:51:10

E-Pioneer running on a 4S 3000 battery.

Thread: New ESC - Which one?
27/11/2017 10:22:17

Andy

As you are obviously just starting out, you need to think further than just this model.

As the hobby progresses you will aquire more and more models, and going down the electric route you will need an ESC for each model. At this point it is worth considering standardising on one particular make, not the least because almost every different make needs its own programming card. These are not very expensive but when you end up with a drawer full of them it becomes expensive. The other way is to listen to the impossible tones and bleeps to program the ESC. I gave up on that long ago, it was far too easy to program it incorrectly.

Personally, I like Hobbywing, I've never had one fail yet, and they worked well in my E-Pioneer. I particularly like the 5amp BEC, plenty of reserve here. They also seem to be one of the few makes that have stayed the course. Many ESCs are around for a year or two then disappear from the shelves. Funnily enough I have a 60amp Hobbywing sitting in front of me now, it took about 2 weeks to arrive from Banggood.

It would also appear that the Turnigy Plush are actually re-branded Hobbywing ESCs. The use the same programming cards.

Thread: Guns in Society
26/11/2017 19:11:05
Posted by David Mellor on 26/11/2017 19:04:29:

Guns don't kill people, tobacco does. And bad food, booze, drugs and cars. Guns are way down on the list of causes of completely avoidable US deaths. Way down. Biggly down.

That does not make gun ownership by all and sundry in the US acceptable IMO.

26/11/2017 19:09:53
Posted by David Mellor on 26/11/2017 18:54:12:

Gun deaths are tragic. But not statistically the biggest killer in "Americans-on-Americans".

American Big Tobacco kills over 480,000 Americans annually.

American Beef and Corn Syrup kills over 300,000 Americans annually (obesity premature death).

American Alcohol kills more than 80,000 Americans annually.

Drugs and cars kill more than 80,000 Americans annually.

That is a staggering 940,000 American citizens killed annually by Tobacco, bad food, booze, drugs and cars.

Guns (and I am the last person to defend them) are the least of their problems........

This is one of those comparisons which is pretty well meaningless, everybody will die sooner or later from something.

Perhaps more releant is the fact that more Americans have been killed with guns since 1968 (when records started) than in all the (many) wars the US has engaged in going back to the Mexican war and the civil war!

The number of gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 - the most recent year for comparable statistics - was nearly 30 times that in the UK, at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1.

Of all the murders in the US in 2012, 60% were by firearm compared with 31% in Canada, 18.2% in Australia, and just 10% in the UK.

Or consider 1300 children are killed with guns each year uin the US and 5800 injured.

26/11/2017 13:36:47
Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 26/11/2017 10:21:20:
Posted by Andy48 on 25/11/2017 19:20:28:

I think guns are evil.

Andy, I suggest firmly that you check the definition of "evil" and re-think your opinion.

rgds Tony

Patronising to say the least.

26/11/2017 09:58:01
Posted by cymaz on 26/11/2017 05:53:19:

Because the Uk has such good gun laws ,is that why knife crime and acid attacks have increased ? . .?

I suspect it has more to do with the drugs scene, and the effects of drugs.

25/11/2017 19:20:28
Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 25/11/2017 13:27:24:

People who think guns are "evil" and that it's therefore ok to penalise them and their owners are dimwitted, shallow, shortsighted, have no knowledge of history or cause & effect, and clearly don't give a stuff about democracy.

rgds Tony

I think guns are evil.

It is incredibly patronising to assume that I am dimwitted, shallow, shortsighted, have no knowledge of history or cause & effect, and clearly don't give a stuff about democracy.

I have been around a variety of guns in live firing situations long enough to know just how dangerous they are, even in the "right" hands.

Frankly your comment above discredits any arguement you may care to make about any positive aspects of gun ownership.

Thread: Need an Electrical Appliance Item Quickly?
25/11/2017 19:11:57

Its actually +10%, -5%. Proving that a voltage surge caused any damage is difficult to say the least unless one has a permanent voltage recorder connected. For years our voltage was up above the 250v but below the +10% limit. Yes, it caused many items to fail prematurely, but how many of us log how long a log life bulb has been switched on?

Thankfully ather a thorough investigation after the power kept tripping out and resetting, they have recently rewired the whole village, replaced the transformer and reduced the voltage.

Keeping the voltage steady these days is getting increasingly difficult with so many people with solar cells and small wind turbines feeding back into the syatem.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
19/11/2017 19:33:43

A real bargain, just needs a drop of cyano:

**LINK**

Thread: Flite (sic) Test paper and card model - hints?
15/11/2017 18:38:24

My glue gun is pretty useless. I suspect the problem is the wattage and the temperature it reaches. There will be less stringing the hotter the gun gets.It also leaks constantly.

Edited By Andy48 on 15/11/2017 18:40:18

Thread: Am i being thick - probably!
07/11/2017 11:54:59

... or the live and learn thread.

Thread: Horus TX battery
04/11/2017 10:15:43

I have my main screen widget set to show the actual tx transmitter battery voltage. It should be in the range of 11v or higher when fully charged, and is usable down to about 9v. That way I can be sure it is fully charged. I've not had a problem with battery life. it could also be due to the settings you have for the battery range. These should be set to 9.2 to 10.8. If the lower value is set higher then you will get early low battery warnings.

Thread: What's a Watt?
02/11/2017 19:11:42
Posted by David Mellor on 02/11/2017 18:33:14:

You can, of course, boil 20 million pints of water at home using just 1 kettle (a normal 1200 Watt model).

It would take 76 years (continuous use with no breaks).

1.2kW is not normal for a kettle, most kettles are between 2.2 and 3kW.

31/10/2017 10:17:53
Posted by Martin Harris on 30/10/2017 23:07:40:

I've often wondered why the SI system didn't adopt 100 or 1000 degree graduation of a circle - 360 is just so Imperial...could it be that it facilitates a better range of divisors? Suddenly 240 pence to the pound makes much more sense although spending less than a pound is a lot more difficult than it was in 1971 (99p shops excepted)!

You can get the NATO mils, which is a circle divided into 6400mils. Much more sensible.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81pqpw8iA%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

30/10/2017 21:46:23
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 30/10/2017 16:54:52:

I just hope the current dislike of things European in some quarters doesn't result in our backsliding into Imperial weights and measures. I just wish we'd go the whole hog and go completely metric and leave the US (and apparently Myanmar and Liberia) in the 19th century.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 30/10/2017 16:55:54

Actually in 1668, it was a British cleric and philosopher John Wilkins who first proposed a decimal based unit of length. It was based on a pendulum swing and was 997mm long.

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
29/10/2017 10:30:12

No. The bluetooth is for the trainer function. In any case openTX 2.2 can't handle this function yet.

You can plug a bluetooth transmitter into the headphones socket and use that, however its a great deal more faff than simply using headphones.

Thread: Phone Volume
19/10/2017 20:12:21
Posted by David Holland 2 on 19/10/2017 19:42:54:

Sorry for the slow response but I've been at the MMEE all day and only just checked the forum. I do have a hearing aid but it is worse than useless, it amplifies all the wrong frequencies and actually makes things worse. I also have a punctured left eardrum so I can't have an aid in that ear (this is rapidly turning into something that should be on Dr Foster's Problem Page). I suppose I should start by investigating more modern hearing aids. Or time travelling back 50 years and take better care of the old shell likes. I am working through the suggestions and so far Don Fry's electrocuting dog collar looks like a winner. Having said that, I'm told that you can buy a thingie you wear on your wrist that will vibrate when you get an incoming. Think it's primarily to pander to the current whim of knowing your heart rate every second of the day. That might be worth a google. I am making problems for myself by having plucked up courage to affect a "man bag" (on selected occasions, i e not at the flying field where the opportunities for taking the p would not be resisted), a phone, wallet, keys etc. so compromise the sleek line of my designer jeans (yeah) so I do not notice the standard vibe. Anyway, if anyone has experience of hearing aids or vibrating arm thingies, I would be very grateful for your input. Thanks for the suggestions so far,

David

PS I hope the mods don't take exception to all the references to vibrating objects.

Modern hearing aids are completely different. I've always been profoundly deaf in one ear and the other one is slowly on its way out. I got some decent hearing aids and the difference is amazing. They are tuned carefully to the frequencies you can't hear well. I can now hear clearly in my bad ear, something I've never been able to do for 60 years. I have a TV sender which means I hear everything going on in the room, but the TV sound is also sent to my hearing aids to supplement that sound. No the TV is at the volume comfortable for the OH.

I even have a device which plugs into my Horus, so all the speech goes straight into my hearing aids and does not annoy others. It also plugs into those radio things you get when you go round historic places instead of a guide. - You can't use headphones with behind the ear hearing aids.

I've worn mine every day since I got them and now after a year, everything is sounding far more natural. At first while I could hear much better things sounded tinny.

19/10/2017 15:54:55

Hearing aids?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us