By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy48

Here is a list of all the postings Andy48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The shape of things to come.
26/04/2018 16:24:47
Posted by PatMc on 26/04/2018 14:39:09:

Could an 868MHz external module offer an alternative failsafe possibility with a redundancy back up Rx connected to basic auxiliary controls surfaces ?
I know that it's possible to use both internal & external module rf simultaneously with the Taranis Tx's with the internal on either D8 or D16 mode & external on V8. .

I think this new mini receiver also has the redundancy feature built in:

The latest 900MHz receiver from FrSky the R9 Mini. This receiver brings forth all the features of previous R9 receivers in an extremely compact and lightweight design. Super low latency and it supports the redundancy function to ensure your aircraft's safety. Ipex antenna connector makes it easy and quick to replace damaged antennas.

The other thing though is the price. The offer on at the moment is £7! Even with postage from China it is still under a tenner, and below the limit to get clobbered for import taxes and handling charges.

Edited By Andy48 on 26/04/2018 16:30:46

Thread: OpenTx Companion
26/04/2018 16:21:18

Yes provided you remember to select the correct profile each time!

I would also expect to see version 2.2.2 coming out in the next month or so, with its long awaited bootloader for the Horus.

Thread: The shape of things to come.
26/04/2018 13:40:32

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 26/04/2018 11:19:51:

Andy, they list it as 915Mhz non-EU or 868Mhz EU, are both versions legal? Here

It is the 868MHz band.

It turns out that this band has now also been allocated to those smart meters where the 2.4GHz band does not work. Future smart meters will apparently have to be dual band for this contingency.

26/04/2018 11:09:28

FrSky have brought out a long range module and receiver. Yawn I hear some say, but the latest version does not run on 2.4GHz, but 915MHz. (It is legal in the UK apparently.)

Cost for the receiver £9.99 at the moment, weight 1.1gm and range -above 10km.

Thread: BBC Weather
25/04/2018 20:51:36

For a number of years I have found the on-line BBC weather to be brilliant. It accurately forecasts wind and rain and has proved great for my two main hobbies, flying and walking. However, in the last month or so it has been terrible. One day last week it forecast warm sunny weather all day, yet at lunchtime the heavens opened and it poured down all afternoon and evening.

It would appear that back in February came the change from the Met office to this new cheaper weather data. Humph!

Thread: Prop adaptors: How tight is just tight enough?
25/04/2018 19:46:53

I had one fly off whilst testing a new model, thankfully it was in the garden where it clattered against the garden shed, but scared the life out of me. Thank goodness I was behind the model. I try and avoid them now, and use motors which have a bolt-on prop adaptor.

Thread: Taranis Checklist
25/04/2018 18:10:49

Check the "Model Setup" screen on the Companion, and now it allows you to copy and edit the Checklist file. Thus it always saves it in the format for the model.

If you check out my docs in the link above, its explained in section 9 "How To" pages 9 and 10.

Thread: Horus X12S
24/04/2018 10:05:04
Posted by PatMc on 23/04/2018 21:40:48:

OpenTx firmware went in no problem. smile

One or two anomalies to what I expected have turned up but I hope with to be able to sort them out after a bit of reading followed by poke & hope.

Thanks for the help, Andy. thumbs up

Glad it worked. Invoice in the post! devil

Thread: Taranis Checklist
24/04/2018 10:03:09

I would suggest you update to OpenTX 2.2. The text files feature has been significantly improved in this version. Full set of documentation for 2.2 here, including how to set up text files.

**LINK**

23/04/2018 09:25:42

The Horus is different to the Taranis in that ALL the OpenTX data is stored on the SD card, thus if you insert the correct card with your OpenTX data and then read the firmware everything should be OK. Let us know how you get on. I doubt any extra junk on the FrOS SD card will have any effect, it is probably best to leave that as it is.

Thread: FrSky X10 - Taranis replacement?
22/04/2018 13:51:22

Probably.

21/04/2018 22:22:45

There is a bug in that warning, in that it is not very clear and the message scrolls off the screen. It is corrected in version 2.2.2 which should be out shortly now that the OpenTX team have finished on the X-Lite transmitter. This version also has a bootloader at last. Yipee! Agree it's a bit of a pain when checking failsafes!

If you have any planes with 4 stroke engines and X type receivers in them, then I really would install the latest receiver firmware.

21/04/2018 22:17:04

See my above link to my docs.

Look at Section 8, The Horus Transmitter.

Q1 is explained on page 10.

Q2 is explained fully on page 27.

Thread: FrSky X10 - Taranis replacement?
20/04/2018 12:19:59
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 19/04/2018 22:38:25:

John, I agree it's a quick job ... once you've located the lead and fished the receiver out of the depths of a model I suppose rebinding doesn't take long either. Then, I would need to check everything to see if there aren't a few nasties and the model behaves as it should. None of it hard but I have a lot of models on the Taranis.

What's that? First world problem

Geoff

There are no nasties in just upgrading the rx firmware. There are a few minor nasties when you upgrade OpenTX from 2.1 to 2.2 as has been mentioned above.

20/04/2018 12:17:23
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 19/04/2018 21:50:16:
Oh and if you do start updating receivers by using Horus, check out the supply voltage on the module bay pins. I have a feeling it might be too high for the receivers.

No problem here Chris. The Horus X10 has a nominal supply voltage of 7.2v, ie a 2S lipo which at full chat is 8.4v. The main FrSky XR and SR receivers are all 4v-10v.

The Horus 12S is a bit close to the bone with a 9.6v NiCad battery.

20/04/2018 12:10:51

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 19/04/2018 21:37:10:

That's what I was afraid of Andy. I had a suspicion that was the case! Thanks. Presumably it works from the .frk files I've just saved to the Firmwares folder I've just created on the Horus's SD card.

Not ordinary servo leads, either - the connectors need to female at both ends (ie with sockets as fit into receiver pins) - I know there's some confusion over the gender of servo leads. If a connector has pins it's male as far as I'm concerned.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 19/04/2018 21:42:46

That's no real problem. HK sell 10 female to female leads for £1.34. Fill yer boots! laugh

**LINK**

With a permanent SPort lead fitted to each receiver, it then makes swapping telemetry from one plane to another a job of seconds.

I prefer to use yellow/black leads for the SPort, to identify it from the normal orange/brown JR/Specktum servo leads I normally use. I bought 10 F to F leads from Banggood for about 40p each, only there turned out to be 5 in each pack! Doubt I'll ever run out now.

19/04/2018 21:32:54

To be honest, you're going a long way round things. With the X10 you have to go back to FrOS to change to international.

Its far easier to get a few extra servo leads, and stick one in each SPort socket on each receiver and leave it there. Then its less than a minute to use the tx to update them all to EU standard through the SPort. It won't mess up any of the settings on the receivers, except perhaps you may have to rebind them.

Edited By Andy48 on 19/04/2018 21:33:50

Thread: Magician build
16/04/2018 17:27:17
I've started building a kit I've had for some time. Have started the fus but need the wings complete before I do more. However, one wing is badly warped so things have come to a full stop. Not sure how you get a warped veneered foam core wing though!
14/04/2018 23:15:09
Go to the Links tab on the OpenTx website and you will find a link to my docs near the bottom.
14/04/2018 23:09:58
Im on holiday right now. D8 mode is available so long as you uncheck the EU box in Companion before installing. As far a going from FrOS yes you do need a backup copy in case they ever update the transmitting module firmware but it does not have to be the most recent version. Not easy on my mobile to give a link to my docs.

Edited By Andy48 on 14/04/2018 23:10:38

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us