By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy48

Here is a list of all the postings Andy48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Making Steel Fittings. Question.
03/04/2020 18:06:33

You can buy thin sheet aluminium and steel from the likes of B&Q and Wickes.    .....  When they eventually open again. frown

Edited By Andy48 on 03/04/2020 18:07:14

Thread: Flat Car Battery from non-use of car
01/04/2020 10:34:05

We left both our cars for 6 weeks earlier this year, no problem at all.

Thread: What Traders are still offering Mail Order? Services?
30/03/2020 21:23:20

DB Sport and Scale still sending out kits. Again fast delivery

Will keep me busy for a week or two.

Thread: FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX
24/03/2020 12:35:02
Posted by Tim Ballinger on 24/03/2020 12:03:38:

Out of interest I connected to the S port on the back of my Horus 10X just to see what voltage was on it. Can not say I understand the result, it started at 4.5V then slowly decayed to zero. Turned the Tx off then on again and it recharged as it were then decayed to zero again.

Anyone bored enough to explain that to me?

Tim

I will check my two when I have finished the list of jobs SWMBO has decreed I do today.

23/03/2020 22:21:02
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 23/03/2020 21:49:19:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 23/03/2020 21:31:44:

Me too.

Wonder why they added SPort on X10 then removed it on X12. It's not a big deal on X12 apart from having to remove the external module in order to update receivers. They don't need updating very often fortunately.

The X12 came before the X10 so I would say it was a design decision.
I have used the X12 to update a few Rx and no issue to remove a module if fitted.

There is an issue if you plug the wrong lead in, or connect it to the wrong pins. Pretty much foolproof if you use an Sport lead.

23/03/2020 20:31:51

Andy is updating receivers using a Horus X10. You do not need to use the module bay any more, that was just for Taranis.

Far simpler and much safer is to flash the receivers using the Sport at the back of the Horus. Works with both FrOS and OpenTX. You can also stop worrying about transmitter battery voltages, not a problem with the Sport.

sport flashing.jpg

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
22/03/2020 14:31:48

Yes.

22/03/2020 14:31:05

If you are running FrOS, the file structure will be different.

22/03/2020 11:45:32

Interesting! Been through all my model logs to check the rx battery as I always use BECs. Not found the slightest problem with any BEC except a cheapo foamy that came ready equipped with motor and BEC, and that was "acceptable".

It really is useful keeping a full log or each flight.

20/03/2020 21:41:03

Without any specific details of what your problems are, I doubt OpenTX will make any difference. It sounds like either a fault with the receiver or the transmitter. Almost certainly though it is better to update to the latest firmware, they don't do updates without a good reason!

Thread: Horus X10S Telemetry Failure
18/03/2020 19:50:26

Failsafe only kicks in when the RSSI drops to 38.

When the critical alarm sounds, you should have another 500 metres to spare.

Given that the log files are all very small, I have all my models set so that logging starts as soon as I open the throttle. That way I have a record of every flight.

Edited By Andy48 on 18/03/2020 19:51:56

18/03/2020 15:03:31

You first need to set up your telemetry and make sure logging is enabled. Then you need to include for logging to start once a flight starts in each model setting. Then you can see a graph like this which is pretty normal with an X10S and an S8R receiver.

log file.jpg

17/03/2020 18:13:12

Oh well now you know why he sold the radio. laugh

Thread: Horus X10S Telemetry Failure
17/03/2020 18:11:13

Have you checked the telemetry logs and looked at the RSSI level throughout the flight? That would be my starting point, indeed it is something I alweays check after the first couple of flights with a new plane.

It is quite normal to have a telemetry loss when the tx is close to the rx. Not a problem.

16/03/2020 21:58:16

Don't think so, but probably best to simply update them all to the latest version anyway.

Thread: FrSky Neuron ESC
14/03/2020 20:32:33
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/03/2020 20:27:03:

Solved - I tried again and got BlHeli32 connected with a new lead. I found the left ESC upper throttle range was set to 1543, I've now set it to match the right ESC and as I had a spare channel on my receiver I put it on that with a link to the existing throttle channel. I'll check it under power tomorrow and if there is still any midrange mismatch I can adjust it with a curve.

Wow! Imagine trying to do that 10 years ago!

Thread: Neuron 60a ESC
12/03/2020 12:49:53

Got one of the new smaller Neuron 60 ESCs. Tiny little thing for 60a!

Now they have added a jumper to short two pins to enable the BEC to operate.

I fly electric and always have an arming plug on the side of the model, except for very small models where I use a foolproof tx arming switch that cannot be accidentally armed or disarmed.

What would you do, which is the safest?

1. Use the new facility and put a low current switch on the side of the model, accepting that technically the motor is still live.

2. Use the tx to arm and disable the motor. This also technically still leaves the motor live.

3. Fit an arming plug and be as safe as possible.

Thread: 1/4 turn wing fixings
11/03/2020 21:22:01
Posted by SR 71 on 11/03/2020 20:53:57:

I know a guy who fly's jets, he uses cellotape ???

I suppose if his flying skills are not that great, longlevity is not a problem.

Thread: Is there a new breed of servo ?
11/03/2020 21:17:37
Posted by john stones 1 on 11/03/2020 21:11:04:

You seem very messy builders. face 1

Do you get glue and dust on your servo thingys ?

Some of us can't afford a modelling suite with a balsa room with full dust extraction, an assembly room, a covering room with a carpet covered covering table, a final assembly room, and a temperature controlled model storage room. sad

11/03/2020 20:40:11
Posted by Tim Ballinger on 11/03/2020 17:53:33:

Since we are on servo testers, well everyone else seems to have one and I’m still not sure what extra it gives me.

Admittedly I have to hook up a Rx but I can center servos, check limits and run repeated cycles with software on my Tx. Not that I ever run repeated cycling as I have never experienced an example of one failing after only a small amount of use.
Still feel I am missing something here. Is there some numerical feedback as to precision of centering or travel limits that the standalone servo tester provides?

Tim

For me Tim the advantage is simplicity. Whilst I am building it is dead easy to hook up the tester and a battery, and have each servo perfectly adjusted for the transmitter as I go along. It is very accurate. The tx and receiver stay away, and don't get covered in balsa dust and glue that seem to behave like magnets towards the tx. Then when the final assembly comes, instal the receiver, plug everything in bind, and check.

I think that calling the device a servo tester is somewhat inappropriate, as I never use it as a tester as such.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!