By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy48

Here is a list of all the postings Andy48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Do you like to fly?
16/12/2012 21:27:11

I once (many years ago now) had a flight on a jumbo with only 20 passengers on. I was invited to stay in the cockpit for the full flight, sitting in the second engineer's seat. That was really something.

Commercial flights today - all depends on the airline. Delta - never again. Our local airport is great. Just 20 minutes from arriving at the airport to sitting in the departure lounge. Sadly I can see it closing anytime soon.

Edited By Martin Phillips on 16/12/2012 21:28:33

Thread: January 2013 Issue feedback
16/12/2012 21:21:03

With reference to the comments on a better balance between electric and IC. I do take your point to some extent, and you have to allow for editorial changes. Having said that, apart from being able to take a gallon of fuel down and fly all day (or at least until the receiver battery needs charging) I do feel the balance has shifted these days towards electric.

I know at my own club, and this was highlighted by another poster, most instructors prefer IC, almost certainly because that is what they learned on. It is also true when you look at the trainers available, most are still for IC. There is nothing to stop anyone learning on an electric and later switching to IC, just as there is nothing to stop someone on IC switching to electric.

What should I have said in favour of IC that wasn't said?

Edited By Martin Phillips on 16/12/2012 21:22:15

09/12/2012 20:39:25

Concordespeedbird

Electric flight is quiet, but it is not silent by any means, you can quite easily hear the motor and gauge the speed.

In writing an article of this nature, choices have to be made, you either keep it very general and include everything so that it becomes vague and non-specific, or you target it around one plane and one system in which case you can give specific advice. It is the latter I found quite difficult to research when I first started flying with much conflicting evidence, hence the motive to write these articles.

Martin

09/12/2012 16:33:33
Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 08/12/2012 20:34:21:
  • The beginner series is good to get people in the hobby, but one caption says 'The standard i.c. powered trainer still has merit and there are many to choose from...​'' By saying this, that basically is saying IC has some good points but electric is better. Is that really fair? I also disagree with the yellow box where it says electric can be much safer. IC is just as safe, if not safer, so I don't think it is completely fair (I'll wait to see the safety device). I think it would have been fairer to show the advantages of IC as well, don't you think? The article was good though.

Thanks for the compliment at the end. In this article I am speaking as a beginner, and as such whether IC or electric is better. I found learning to fly a very frustrating process for all sorts of reasons, weather, instructor availability etc etc. I had both an IC and an electric trainer. Electric flight did make learning to fly easier in my opinion. I had more confidence coming in to land with the throttle off, knowing I could open the throttle wide if I got it wrong and the engine would not die on me. I have telemetry on my system, so I know when the battery is getting low, again something which helped with confidence, especially on a busy day when others are trying to land too.

Safety? I walk onto the flying field with a completely dead model. It is totally safe. I then stand behind the wings and insert the safety plug which powers up the aeroplane, having checked that the transmitter throttle is set to zero. However there are two failsafes also - one in the transmitter, and one in the ESC. I never put my hand near the moving propeller, I never have to walk onto the field carrying a model with the engine running.

Just last month I saw a club member walk onto the flying field with his model. He accidentally caught the throttle as he was walking out, and he was very lucky not to have had an accident. I've seen two experienced club members injure themselves starting their IC engines in the last year. One needed hospital treatment.

Remember too that there is limited space in an article, and one cannot put every point of view.

Thread: What RTF trainer plane would you recommend for a newbie.
08/12/2012 16:16:01

Hi Connor

I have just started a series of articles, starting January's RCME (out now) on learning to fly. Might be worth a read before finalising your Christmas present wish list. I think you need to decide whether electric or IC before buying a model.

Martin

Thread: Workshop insulation and set-up
23/09/2012 16:33:11

I'm so pleased you added the last sentence. I was just about to rush out with the vac and the duster!

Thread: My Jitterbug flies superbly
27/11/2011 21:06:26
Having had another play today, I have realised that with moving F1 forward, the battery fits easily between F1 and F2. You do not need to make F2 thinner.
26/11/2011 18:19:17
I'm in the process of building mine, just being doing the fuz this week, and I made a ply F2 former and had to widen it a bit to fit the same Overlander battery. It was already thinner than the one on the plans, so each side was reduced to 8mm. I have moved the motor mount forward so I do not need the spacer mount. I was thinking of putting the esc under the battery tray, and perhaps leaving a portion of the rear fuz base open near the tail to get an airflow right through the frame.

I have managed to make the tail section detachable, using the same system Seagull use on their trainers - 2 bolts accessed from underneath. This should make covering easier, and rebuilding (almost a certainty!!!) somewhat easier.

Next job is the front hatch, I am trying to simplify this a bit, and reduce weight.

Edited By Freeatlast on 26/11/2011 18:20:18

Thread: Transferring Plans Onto Balsa
30/07/2011 13:44:55
Posted by Craig Carr on 25/10/2010 14:20:39:
However, ive always had in the back of my mind a conversation I once had with the zerox engineer at my old workplace. He told me that although a photocopy may look an exact replica in actual fact the reproduction image is slightly out to the original. which wouldn't be good for model making

Photocopiers do reduce by 1 or 2%. However, computer scanners do not, and they will give exact 100% copies (at least my Canon does).

Did you know you can print onto tracing paper very effectively? This makes it easy to line up the parts to be cut out exactly on the wood to get the edge of the wood or the grain right. You can also check the accuracy of the scanner this way too.

Thread: My Jitterbug flies superbly
29/07/2011 22:40:27
Hi Myron

Thanks for that. I am going to use the profile, but overlap the 3/32 sheeting onto the leading edge profile, and sand down the edge to the LE profile.

I've checked the dihedral braces. I think you are right here. I measured the angle on the plan and it is 3.1 degrees. This will give a dihedral of 1.7inches if my maths is right. The angle needs to be 3.6 degrees to give a 2 degree dihedral. (Those digital angle measuring tools are brilliant!)

I also notice the spacing of the wing ribs is anything but even. It varies from 72 to 75mm. You would think this would be easy to draw up. I cut a whole load of balsa webs all to the same size, and then had to trim them individually. Hey ho.
29/07/2011 15:49:20
Posted by Colin Naylar on 29/07/2011 15:31:46:
Oh right Freeatlast, you haven't just got out of Jail then

During the last few years of work, it felt like jail!

Will do the profile as you suggest. More or less a beginner, have just passed my BMFA "A", though reasonably comfortable with the building.

At the moment just making the wing template and have discovered the leading edge profile I bought is 3mm undersize. Aaaaaargh!
29/07/2011 15:20:55
Posted by Colin Naylar on 28/07/2011 23:09:48:
Hi Freeatlast ( from what? - the mind boggles)

Freedom from having to work for a living. Retirement means I can do what I want, when I want......within reason......

I did notice on the plan that you do not appear to be able to remove the front hatch because of the cockpit. 

Edited By Freeatlast on 29/07/2011 15:23:23

28/07/2011 22:44:23
Hi Colin

I am just starting to build mine, I may be some time!

I too have chosen to build the electric version and also am going to use the Emax 2826. I am looking at a couple of changes, a fixed undercarriage instead of the wing bands, possibly using wing bolts instead of bands, and lowering the top of the rear fus as it looks a bit out of proportion.

I know about the wing dimension problem, are there any other problems you found when building it?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us