By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy48

Here is a list of all the postings Andy48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FrSky X10 - Taranis replacement?
15/03/2018 09:35:50

The SD cards on the Horus are micro SD cards. No real problem to use the computer to copy from one to the other.

This documentation now covers the X10 and OpenTX. The most comprehensive documentation on OpenTX, and even covers installing OpenTX on the X10:

**LINK**

Thread: Rule of thumb - motor weight v power capability
11/03/2018 20:23:07
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/03/2018 23:40:27:

The least useful is number of cells. Provided the current rating is kept to then the voltage of the battery pack doesn't matter too much.

The voltage rating makes a huge difference. A 4S battery will give a third more power than a 3S battery provided the motor is capable of taking 4S voltage.

Frankly the weight of the motor is of little concern.Compare the examples above to a Turnigy SK3 3532. That weighs 134g and has a power of 616watts. That's all with the same brand and type of motor. Go to a Turnigy G3 motor, 870kv with a wattage (peak) of 650, and that weighs 193g. There is just no sound correlation between weight and power, especially across brands.

I have a simple test rig (which cost less than a tenner to build) on which I can test a motor/ESC/battery/propeller combination and measure the static thrust as well as current consumption at various throttle settings. My own rule of thumb is simple, so long as the static thrust is at least equal to the actual weight of the plane, it will be more than powerful enough for most flying. I can check the current and consumption to see everything is well within working tolerances. Once its all tested and set up, it simply drops into the model with no further setting up and away I go.

Thread: S6R & S8R Receivers
11/03/2018 17:38:24

Try switching off auto level when in a turn. I did this when I realised my model was turning too slowly to avoid flying over the pits. Thankfully I was high enough up to recover the sudden inverted downward flight!

However auto level is very useful for checking the function of the stabiliser at the start of a flying session as the control "stay" when you have the model at an angle. In stabilise mode they counter the change of direction so its not easy to see what they are doing.

Thread: Rule of thumb - motor weight v power capability
10/03/2018 22:05:11

I think I would find a more reliable rule of thumb. e.g. take a Turnigy SK3 3548.

700kv, weight 167g, 547watts.

840kv, weight 174g, 750 watts

1050kv, weight 176g, 820watts

9g difference, but half as much power again!

Thread: WOT4 Becomes Racing Car
06/03/2018 16:52:00
Posted by Chris Walby on 06/03/2018 16:28:19:

There is no real way of testing lipos without a big (as in high power) resistor and logging individual cell voltages and even then there is a view that stressing lipos does them not long term good!

Yes there is. BEB uses a Taranis, and the current and voltage sensors available for OpenTX will give you precisely these readings.

06/03/2018 16:49:11
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/03/2018 15:12:42:

So what can we learn from this? When I was working with the UAVs we logged every battery into and out of the drone recording individual cell voltages. I'm not so diligent as a retired hobby flyer! But it does show that just taking a few seconds to flip through the cell voltages at the end of charging, even if you don't record them, is a very good idea!

The answer is to plug in the lipo voltage sensor to each model when you fly it, and set up a warning in OpenTX when the lowest cell drops below 3.4v (and critical battery level set at 3.2v). That way you would have instantly got a low battery warning when you opened the throttle. You were perhaps very lucky that the 2 failed cells were as bad as they were. Had they had a little more charge in them, you might have been able to take off then lost power whilst still low down.

I have every model with a SPort lead permanently plugged into its receiver, and then swap voltage and current sensors from model to model as I fly them.

Thread: Horus X10S
06/03/2018 16:39:20

Masher, the How To covers updating the Taranis, the Horus is different.

Stephen the link is here:

**LINK**

See page 27 onwards of Section 8, The Horus Transmitters.

06/03/2018 12:19:50

Yesterday I posted on this forum a link to my new documentation. Its all in there how to upgrade a X10 to OpenTX. Tried and tested.

Thread: OpenTX 2.2 Documentation
05/03/2018 20:28:10

Documentation for OpenTX2.2 is now on line, and is free to use. It covers all the current FrSky transmitters, including the X10. It is now perhaps the most complete up-to-date set of documentation in one place with 240 pages of information. It is in pdf format which can be simply downloaded or downloaded and printed out.

For those of you who would like to know more about OpenTX, but perhaps don't want to commit to buying a transmitter, download the Getting Started section. This can be used using the OpenTX simulator which is also freely available to get a real flavour of the program.

**LINK**

Thread: And now for something completely different
03/03/2018 19:55:50
Posted by David P Williams on 03/03/2018 18:22:38:

With OpenTX you're on your own smiley, but I'm sure there's a ton of YT stuff about how to set this up.

See here for setting up a heli on OpenTX (download the How To section)

**LINK**:

Thread: FrSky & Helicopters
02/03/2018 20:18:45

Using OpenTX both transmitters are very capable with helis.

Thread: Card version Error
02/03/2018 14:23:25

Sharp intake of breath at this point Bob.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 31/12/2017 22:31:56:
Posted by Andy48 on 31/12/2017 18:24:13:

There is an easy way to overcome this error without having to copy everything on the SD Card. .....At the botton is the highlighted version file. Open it with something like notepad and change the version number to the one expected. Resave the file, job done and no more error messages.

Bet you cheated at school too cheeky

He he. devil

Thread: Model Black Box
19/02/2018 19:29:26
Posted by Chris Walby on 19/02/2018 18:31:35:

Andy48, Its as far as you can go from a practicable point of view without feedback devices, I was just thinking of a cheap, simple and universal device that allowed you (post crash) to see if TX, RX, flight battery were working without having to buy a high end TX or telemetry

As they say "nothing is fool proof to the sufficiently talented fool"

Which is exactly what OpenTX does as BEB said! Given that OpenTX transmitters start at £70, telemetry receivers at about £25, and most telemetry sensors swap easily between models and their individual cost is low, I think that actually meets your critieria.

I have actually used this on more than one occasion on a rather dubious crash. Was able to check flight battery cell by cell, receiver voltage, the position of all controls when I lost control, even the signal strength being received by the receiver. In the end, I was able to eliminate most things except pilot error. crying

Edited By Andy48 on 19/02/2018 19:32:46

19/02/2018 17:49:53
Posted by Chris Walby on 19/02/2018 16:10:51:

BEB, I see your point about logging everything in the TX, but is it logging the TX command to operate the elevator servo or is it logging the RX output to the servo?

This is not foolproof. Even if the Rx output to the servo is logged, it does not actually tell you what the response of the servo was.

Thread: Open tx 2.2
17/02/2018 18:51:24
OpenTX is completely different to this. Bob has, I think, identified the issues.
Thread: Coming back after 50 years: bit lost
13/02/2018 20:38:39

Now there's an interesting point. If you must never extend the ESC power leads to the battery, how do you use a wattmeter, because the wattmeter effectively extends the leads?

13/02/2018 20:16:00

Almost all my models have extended leads, one or two significantly so. My Puppetter probably has nearly 30cm extensions. Yet to have the slightest problem, and yet to damage an ESC. Many of my ESCs are over 5 years old. Love these doom mongers!

Thread: A Question for the Electric Cognoscenti.
12/02/2018 17:04:27

That doesn't tell you whether a low voltage cutoff has been set. If it hasn't then the motor can drain the battery below the level the receivers or servos will operate.

12/02/2018 15:25:58

One would assume that the manufacturer does set up the ESC, but they may not have done, or the LVC may have been set too low so that the receiver still cut out.

Basically use either the programming card for the make/model of ESC to program it correctly, or use the documentation for it to check the settings as a series of long/short bleeps. However, there is rarely any documentation for RTF ESCs, or to know which programming card to use.

12/02/2018 13:33:46
Posted by David Davis on 12/02/2018 12:08:27:

Thanks RC Plane flyer I don't really understand computers but I'll get a club mate to set one up on my latest electric project, a renovated Junior 60.

I take it you never checked the LVC on your plane then?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us