By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy48

Here is a list of all the postings Andy48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX
20/01/2020 22:40:15

The LBT version will work with D8 and X series receivers no problem. Don't understand why you believe LBT is a problem waiting to happen.

As for when the band is full, surely that would affect any transmitter, however I read somewhere that over 100 helicopters were flown together on 2.4Ghz. DSM2 only listens once when switched on and is therefore more prone to problems when the band is busy than LBT or DSMX transmitters.

As for Spektrum kit, nearly every regular flyer at our club has changed away from it having had numerous radio failures. That's why I changed. I lost 3 aircraft in 2 weeks in very similar circumstances. Never had a problem since moving to Frsky stuff.

20/01/2020 20:52:53

Tim

Thanks to Mike's efforts it is now possible to update the internal module using the bootloader with OpenTX version 2.3. Thus it is no longer necessary to reinstall FrOS.

18/01/2020 12:43:35
Posted by Allan Bennett on 18/01/2020 11:57:52:

A lot of the 'upgrades' are for regulatory reasons (e.g. EU LBT), but I wonder how many are because manufacturers have released equipment that hasn't been adequately tested in a real-world environment.

I think you are being very optimistic to believe manufacturers could possibly test every conceivable situation in the real world. I've had no end of updates with all sorts of equipment. Cars for example, nearly every car I've had in the last 10 years has had a software update. My year old Ford Transit motorhome went in for an update last month. Think how many Transits they sell a year.

The point of the Frsky system and OpenTX is its flexibility, and with that comes the drawback of needing updates. No different to cars, smartphones, computers or even smart TVs. Its only in real world use and feedback to the designers that we have the quality of the kit we have now at a price we can afford.

There are ways to mitigate some of the inconvenience. A simple one is to have an S Port lead permanently connected to each receiver. That way receiver updates are very simple no matter how deep the receiver is buried.

Another one is to standardise. One poster above has created a nightmare of different configurations with multiple different transmitters. With a 60 model memory one only needs one transmitter, and possibly a backup. Keep to your own standardisation of receivers by deciding which types will cover your modelling needs. I've tended to sell off the occasional odd one I bought, fleabay makes that easy, and someone is always prepared to pay over the odds. I've also sold of a couple of Frsky transmitters already.

Thirdly, keeps the system up to date. By this I don't mean update the first day an update comes out, but once its settled down, then update. (OpenTX 2.3 is a good example here). That way updating is straightforward, as there is usually plenty of current info on the web, and plenty of others around who have just done it to help. But try updating from a very old version and most have forgotten what they did so help is sparce. Winter time can be utilised to perform major updates that require quite a bit of work.

Lastly, update everything, don't leave some receivers on old firmware and then when you dust the model off months later wonder why the receiver won't work any more.

Thread: Do you love some of your engines so much you don't fly them?
16/01/2020 22:43:25

A little off topic, but the OP's story raises a few interesting issues.

1. By the time students have got to the confidence stage of take offs and landings surely they should have their own plane and one buddy boxes to that.

2. I don't have any sentimentality about my electric motors seeing as they are as cheap as chips.

3. I love the quick take back system I have on my Frsky gear where I regain control instantly simply by moving the joystick. It is that difficult time where you just give them that extra fraction of a second to self correct that this works best.

Thread: FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX
16/01/2020 22:22:36
Posted by Allan Bennett on 16/01/2020 20:40:24:

Thanks for the heads-up.

I never updated my old Futaba firmware for over 30 years.

Blimey, I'm surprised the valves are still working.

16/01/2020 20:23:48
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/01/2020 19:47:18:

Thanks Andy48. I hadn't spotted that change in 2.3.

On upgrading a Rx with a Horus, I don't believe an X12 has an S.Port socket?

It can be done from the module pins but then you need to take into account that the supply voltage on the module pins might be higher than the Rx will handle. As usual there's a new number of ways of doing these things.

My easiest option is to use the module pins in my old Taranis to do Rx upgrades.

Sorry no the X12 doesn't have the Sport. I flogged my X12 and bought the X10S, very pleased I did!

The battery in the X12 is 9.6v, most, if not all the receivers will handle 10v. You could make sure the tx has not been recently charged and you should be OK.

16/01/2020 19:27:12
Posted by Tim Ballinger on 16/01/2020 18:55:32:

Clearly Frsky rate this as important but anyone know what the real life issue was?

Also never upgraded RX firmware before. Does it have to be upgraded to work with the upgraded Tx firmware or put another way will non upgraded RXs still work with an upgraded TX?

Tim

This is dead easy especially if you have a Sport lead permanently attached to each receiver. (Hint: if you don't have, then well worth doing!)Download the new files onto the SD card in the transmitter. With the Horus you simply plug that into the Sport socket on the Horus. Done in a couple of minutes

Edited By Andy48 on 16/01/2020 19:27:55

16/01/2020 19:24:27
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/01/2020 18:50:47:

Thanks for the heads up Kev.

First of all, if I don't do this then my gear isn't going to stop working.

Second, it's very nice of them to tell us it needs doing, but have they instructed us how? Are files available for non FrOS users or do we have to go through the process of converting back to FrOS and then back to our favourite system again?

The cynic in me wonders whether this is an update just to stop cloned receivers working?

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/01/2020 18:51:23

The internal module can be flashed through OpenTX as of version 2.3. Haven't tried it yet though.

Thread: battery c rating
14/01/2020 13:58:42

Can I reiterate what I said at the start, and that is that a higher "C" rating does appear to equate to a longer battery life. There is probably a simple explanation for this in that you are stressing the battery far less by drawing well below its maximum current rating and therefore you get a longer life. From my anecdotal observations, the extra life expectancy is well in excess of the extra cost of getting a higher "C" rating equivalent.

Thread: CAA Registration Impact on STEM Activities
09/01/2020 16:19:58

I have to disagree with much of what kc has written about schools, and practical subjects.

Firstly a lack of practical skills starts at home with the under 5s. How many children today of any age have any practical toys that encourage those practical skills, with the exception of Lego.

Secondly the world of work is very different today with automation having taken over many jobs. Now a metalworker needs the technical skills to work a cnc lathe rather than the practical skills.

Thirdly education is not about teaching a skill for life (or about training more teachers), but equipping young people to handle a variety of occupations during their working life. As an example I wonder how many opportunities there are in the world of work today for practical technical drawing skills using a pencil and paper?

Next consider how much else has been crammed into an already crowded curriculum, with everybody and their dog believing schools have a magic wand that can deliver everything anybody suggests and make experts of every pupil in next to no time.

Finally to suggest schools have plenty of money is surely fantasy land.

Thread: battery c rating
08/01/2020 17:31:19

Generally speaking you need to take the C rating with a huge pinch of salt. Perhaps C stands for crude.

However, I do find that somewhat higher C rating batteries do last a lot longer, especially if not used anywhere near their upper C rating limit.

Thread: CAA Registration Impact on STEM Activities
08/01/2020 17:25:59

An interesting point now is that the new regulations have introduced an age limit. 18 to got a licence on ones own, and 13 to fly with a parent or guardian. What about those under 13? Are they now barred from flying at all?

Thread: Lidl multitool/ dremel clone
05/01/2020 15:25:14

If you look on Banggood, they have the Dremel equivalent chucks at less than half the price of a Dremel, but just as good.They also fit the Parkside multitool. £3 each including postage.

https://www.banggood.com/0_4-3_4mm-Keyless-Drill-Chuck-Mini-Drill-Collet-Rotary-Tools-for-Dremel-p-1167883.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Edited By Andy48 on 05/01/2020 15:27:36

Thread: Discussion - Micro receivers in fixed wing models
03/01/2020 17:24:56
Posted by Andy Hat on 03/01/2020 13:55:51:

Go for it but range-check, range-check, range-check (and check under power and all angles too, those tiny aerials...).

Perhaps, but you are not getting the best out of OpenTX. Far better is after the initial range test, ensure logging is enabled for the RSSI, and make a short flight or two not going too far away. Then examine the RSSI over the course of these flights, and then extend the range. That way you know where the safe range boundaries are.

Traditional range tests are always a compromise.

Thread: Bespoke water slide decals
12/12/2019 16:01:50

You need to spray the transfer paper with acrylic varnish once printed, the thickness of the varnish tends to have a big impact on the quality. Too thin, and it is too fragile when wet, too thick and while it transfers well, it will peel shortly after.

Thread: Christmas Present for a Two Year-Old.
11/12/2019 12:19:09
Posted by Nigel Dell on 11/12/2019 07:07:03:

**LINK**

Hi David

A foamy Chuck Glider such as the MPX Fox is very resilient but there does seem to be things about.

Not in the hands of a 2 year old! It will be wrecked within minutes and he won't be able to chuck it anyway.

Edited By Andy48 on 11/12/2019 12:19:33

Thread: Horus X10 Express
29/11/2019 16:31:16
Posted by Peter Christy on 29/11/2019 10:43:25:

I managed to set up a "template" model in mode 1, but when we selected another new model, it went back to mode 2 again! As I said, I know little of FrOs, as I switched mine to OpenTx almost as soon as I got it - and I'm mode 2 anyway, so wouldn't come across the problem.

Its never a problem with OpenTX because basically OpenTX doesn't care what you use each stick for. The only thing to do is physically change the stick ratchets over.

29/11/2019 16:27:28
Posted by David Holland 2 on 29/11/2019 10:14:56:

Mike, back to the logic switch question, I'll try your suggestion incorporating a EX MIX. I thought I might try fiddling with OpenTx Companion and simulating that set up and also play with "virtual" logic switches. Can I assume a logic switch is a logic switch irrespective of operating system.

Given that FrOS is really based on OpenTX, you will probably find that they operate the same as OpenTX, though logical switches are software devices so no reason to be the same. After playing with the Companion, you should also consider OpenTX itself. As you have said there is far more support for OpenTX.

Thread: Flair Puppeteer size
27/11/2019 17:11:00

I split my pup behind the cockpit. Two bolts and two servo leads to join and job done in a minute.

26/11/2019 21:36:20

I built a Flair Puppeteer a few years ago, one of the last kits available. Flair didn't give full plans for the plane, mostly diagrams of how the parts all fit together. The plans were for the wings and tail only from memory.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!