By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy48

Here is a list of all the postings Andy48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WOT4 Becomes Racing Car
08/02/2018 16:20:46

Great stuff!

Not a clue what went wrong though. Did you try doing exactly what you did down at the field, see a duplicate model and delete it. Maybe you deleted the wrong one?

08/02/2018 14:45:16
Posted by Martyn K on 08/02/2018 11:45:30:

I had an interesting and exact opposite problem with my Taranis BEB.

The model (a Meteor 40) has been very reliable and I have had many flights with it.

Just before I last flew it, I spotted that I had a duplicate (different) model in my Tx list. To be safe I deleted it. I then prepped the Meteor and did the usual pre-flight checks and all appeared OK.

Started up, full throttle check, waggled the stick and everything moved in the right direction.

Started the take off run and the model leapt into the sky - way over elevated. This was confirmed by the next couple of minutes of flying. Rather concerned that something had moved, I then killed the throttle using the programmed throttle kill switch - and the model went into a no elevator dive and got badly damaged on the arrival.

It appears that somehow I had managed to get a mix of throttle and elevator. It appears that hitting the throttle kill switch had put an override in on throttle and also elevator. Unfortunately, the model was too badly damaged to prove this theory at the time and I haven't been able to replicate it since. However, I have since wiped the transmitter and copied all the model back into memory and it seems ok again.

The only thing I can think of is that deleting that model from memory caused some form of corruption.

Martyn

You can go back and look at your previous copies of the model files, use the simulator to see exactly what happened.

You do use the Companion to do regular backups of your model files every time you change everything.....

08/02/2018 14:42:50
Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 08/02/2018 13:06:21:

I've noticed with my Taranis that if you don't set rates on all positions of a three position switch, then one position cuts off all control from that channel. Not suggesting this is the case, but it is an important point with open source Tx's.

This is not strictly true, you do not need to set rates on all positions, however if not set up the line order correctly it can default to no rates.

You need to read the "Getting Started" section of this documentation. It is explained fully there.

**LINK**

Thread: Lidl Sander
05/02/2018 20:30:56
Posted by trebor on 05/02/2018 18:50:02:

Have Lidl started putting them on the shelves already ?

The only go out the day advertised. Best to get there early. They often don't have many in.

Thread: Please help newbie
05/02/2018 16:49:40

Posted by Percy Verance on 05/02/2018 14:56:02:

I asked him about transmitter modes, and did he realise that if he was taught by a club Instructor it would an advantage to be using the same make of radio on a similar mode.

This is no longer of the slightest inportance if he or the instructor uses FrSky gear, and probably other newer radios. OpenTX for instance will link to most other makes of transmitter, indeed the Horus has both JR and Futaba style trainer ports. By the same token the mode is no longer important, any mode to any mode can be used; the instructor can even allow just some controls to be handed over. Given that you can now get a FrSky transmitter using OpenTx for just over £70, and this guy is an IT expert, this is a distinct possibility.

05/02/2018 13:34:20
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 05/02/2018 13:32:44:

$ price + Import duty +20 VAT + the importer's/distributer profit + retail margin = UK £ price. $s for £s doesn't sound too far off the mark.

Also don't forget the US catalogue probably showed price before US tax too, though knowing a little about the US there is probably no tax on shooting equipment!

Edited By Andy48 on 05/02/2018 13:34:58

05/02/2018 13:33:20
Posted by Handyman on 05/02/2018 13:28:22:

Just as a follow up, someone has already put one of these 29.99 sanders up on ebay. Have a look at item number

183055279392. They are asking £53.90 for the same item as the one being sold in Lidl's. What a rip off!!

You won't get the three year warranty either.

05/02/2018 13:32:20

That does not follow. Any US item imported into the UK is subject to VAT. In the US, tax is only added at the checkout and is never shown on catalogues or in stores. Frankly having travelled to the US a number of times in recent years, prices over there are not much different to the UK. They seem cheaper until one gets to the checkout and finds a sizeable lump has been added in tax.

Thread: Please help newbie
04/02/2018 21:16:20
Posted by cymaz on 04/02/2018 20:58:15:

The makes of Tx will need to be the same, that’s why it’s important to get the correct transmitter that most of the club uses. I’m in two clubs one uses mostly Futaba and the other mostly Spektrum....

Not necessarily true these days Cymaz.

04/02/2018 17:40:44
Posted by Tom H 1 on 04/02/2018 17:18:22:

If I gave up on building my own. Can you still get kits so you can build yourself and get enjoyment from that? Also as I have not brought anything before is there good variety of kits to buy out there?

I think you have to see this hobby in a different way.

First there is learning to fly. Then there is understanding all about what goes into a model (things like balancing, setting flying surface limits, understanding the radio system, understanding how the receiver and servos work, etc.), then there is the building process.

As a total beginner you need to set these as separate gaols. Its no use building wonderful scale models if you can't fly them, or because of your lack of understanding of what it takes for a model to fly, it crashes on first flight.

After taking advice, get something easy to build and repair, and preferably have a spare for the inevitable crashes and down time for repairs. Then learn to fly.

Once you are well on the road to flying and understanding what goes into a model, then you can start to build your own. You will have the rest of your life to do that! smiley

02/02/2018 17:51:04

Machine Mart sell 125mm self adhesive sanding discs. £3.50 for 5.

01/02/2018 17:12:07

From Thursday 8th Feb Lidl have their Parkside disc sander in stock. At £30 and 3 years guarantee you can't go wrong. Comes with sanding discs, variable speed and dust extraction port. Brilliant bit of kit for the workshop.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/catalog3media/uk/article/290842/third/sm-retina/290842_01.jpg

Thread: Horus X12S
31/01/2018 19:53:13

Yes you need to be on 2.2. This is the first implementation for the Horus. Yes you can run both versions, however, set up a different file location for 2.2 as you will need to download the 2.2 SD card for the Companion.

2.2 has a number of changes. The first is eepe files have gone, now they are otx. The Companion will convert all your models, though you will need to check them. It gets the odd minor thing wrong. I'm still converting my models, and actually is a good time to have a clean-up and standardise. Some of my early model settings certainly needed a bit of tweaking.

You need to read this: **LINK**

31/01/2018 18:58:39
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 31/01/2018 16:30:36:

I've got an X12, I understand that they all use the same iXJT module so the rf side of things should be the same.

Like Bob I've also got an X12, but its certainly my understanding that the module is the same, only the X10 has twin internal aerials (want one!!!). I've just checked the X10/X10S on the Companion and simulator, and without the EU box ticked you can select D8 mode. As I have read before, it appears FrSky do not lock their internal iXJT module, so OpenTX can access the D8 mode.

To be fully certain, why not ring T9 Hobbysport.

Thread: Adaptors
29/01/2018 19:42:10

I suppose some just get less adaptable as they get older. thinking

Thread: Hitec anyone else thinking of jumping ship
29/01/2018 19:23:24
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 29/01/2018 18:41:50:
Posted by geoff dales on 29/01/2018 18:13:32:

Well x12s eu model with neck strap and case uk plug ordered from hk uk warehouse for £150 less than than t9.

That's an excellent price, and being from the UK warehouse avoids any nasty customs duty charges.

Enjoy!

27/01/2018 18:00:24
Posted by Percy Verance on 27/01/2018 09:46:12:

Be careful Geoff. It'll be all too easy to end up with a set you may find it problematic to source receivers for. I'd take a deep breath and go for the UK supplied set. Ok it'll cost you more, but you'll have back up over the phone, and ready availability of compatible receivers. And should you have a problem, it'll be considerably more straightforward to resolve it.

Receiver compatibility is not a problem with FrSky, so long as you stick to the current range available for the last few years, not the legacy ones still available, though some of those still work. Even if you have an EU transmitter and an international receiver it is simple to change the firmware on the receiver to match.

27/01/2018 17:57:08
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 27/01/2018 14:27:12:

Geoff, also note that the £ price shown on HK is their dollar conversion, when you go to buy this will be turned into US$ and then your payment method will turn it back into £s, so you normally end up paying a bit more than the shown price, but as Bob points out above the big saving is the VAT as your transaction is with Hong Kong.

You still end up paying the VAT as it is charged as customs duty if over £15-20, plus often a £10 "handling charge". From the international store there are 2 versions one with an aluminium case which is more expensive. You might have to ring T9 to find which case they provide.

Personally, I'd look at the X10 or the X10S rather than the 12S. Essentially the same as the 12S but with a few tweaks to make it even better. Basically, go for the EU version and then buy EU receivers. Simple. They work just as well as the international versions. All the "X" series receivers work with the Taranis/Horus range. You have a choice of super lightweight through to normal size, including the stabilised receivers and the new long range receiver with a 10km range. Just wish my eyesight was that good.crook

25/01/2018 20:04:08

.. or a standard FrSky X8R receiver for £30, or if you really want to go overboard and have full redundancy, 2 X8R receivers, plus a redundancy bus would still be less than half the price of an AR12310T receiver.

25/01/2018 17:20:16
Posted by Denis Watkins on 25/01/2018 15:18:48:

There are stabilisers which operate with just the need for on and off, so Aux 1, on channel 6. And the usual 4 channels, 1 - 4

The other work is done on the ground using rotary trim switches, and miniature reversing switches

But the option remains for single servo aileron, or twin servo aileron, in which case channel 5 is used up on the twin servo aileron.

It does remain possible to stabilise most models from 6 channels from non generic stabilisers.

You missed the point of my post further back. Many things are possible with just a couple of channels, but these days systems offer so much more flexibility and if you can have 16 channels at no extra cost then why not use them? The gear is very cheap but the functionality superb, and what's more its reliable.

In any case why have to faff about grovelling inside a model at a hard-to-get-at stabilised receiver with rotary trim switches and minature reversing switches when you can do all that in seconds from the transmitter without even touching the receiver? Even better when you can adjust things like the gain during a flight.

Edited By Andy48 on 25/01/2018 17:25:36

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us