By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Fane

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Fane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MF's Hawker Fury Mk1
21/06/2020 17:59:36

Greetings Fury builders

Well, spurned on by Dannys progress, I have moved on a bit as well.

I must say this build is proving taxing !!!!

One step forward, 2 back.......

Not happy with my original tyres which were rubber tube, they seemed to be flattening a bit too much ( perhaps I'm a heavy builder !!)

New tyres cut from MR foam - nice to work with, shaped on a mandrel in my drill, the original wheels were re used but 6 bolts instead of 3.

new tyre.jpg

Also rethought the oleo's, my litho skills proved insufficient so I have opted to fix the oleo and build the fairings around them, a combination of balsa frame, litho skin, filler, balsa block, foil and some nice aluminium paint on the middle section

new oleo.jpg

Have now finished the painting, KK trainer yellow, really nice paint to use

all painted.jpg

and assembled for inspiration

all yellow front.jpg

all yellow side.jpg

painter yellow above.jpg

Same problem with the stuts for me, with some makeshift wire rigging they keep popping out. Not sure where to go with this crying

struts.jpg

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
11/06/2020 07:10:27

Hi Danny

So impressed with your progress wink

Interesting stuff on the lacing, just wondering how you get the laced litho strip sitting flush as I assume the lacing is on both sides ???

Also like the cockpit edge lining, never heard of vector board before, did you use 2 prices of the board, one to form an edge then a strip covering it ? Could you confirm what thickness board you used and the best glue for it.

Looking forward to more instalments.

Cheers

Martin

20/05/2020 09:14:37

Hi Danny

Great tutorial, those oleo covers look the business.

Ive had the same issues with photos rotating, strange that some do and some don't crying

Now where's my like of lithoplaate, I think there will be some wastage sad

Cheers

Martin

13/05/2020 10:51:43

Danny

Very nice radiator detail yes why didn't I think of that method sad

cheers

Martin

11/05/2020 20:25:00

Hi everyone

Thanks for the comments.

I'm basing this model on the yellow trainer K3736 but as there are not any actual photo's that I can find I'm using various other fullsize to come up with detail parts. I know - not proper scale sadbut I like to look at this as a learning exercise.

I did notice the rear strut positions on the plan dont really seem to line up properly with full size (but don't see any way around this as I have already added the rear fuselage access panel)

I will make the struts / wires to fit the actual fuselage / tail securing positions.

struts position.jpg

plan struts.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 11/05/2020 20:27:26

11/05/2020 16:03:08

hi All

Seems to be a lot more activity on the fury builds which is great to see, moved on with a few details bits whilst I shy away from the wing rigging wires crying I'm planning to go with the MR parts once I build up courage to try some silver soldering.............

So to make some progress, Wing "N" struts made up as per plan with ply and balsa and the brass end fittings pinned. As far as I can see from full size photos these are metal faired ?? so have sealed and primed them in anticipation of an aluminium topcoat.

wing struts.jpg

Also started the rad flaps, these are 1/64 ply with a small carbon rod secured down the centre line, both sides of the ply are then sheeted with 1/16 balsa which is shaped to an aerofoil sort of shape. quite a bit of finishing to to but you can get the idea. The rad slots will be disguised with some non scale panel effect ie foil or lithoplate.

Also started the rad heat exchanger

rad flaps.jpg

Lastly my attempt to reproduce the "leather" effect at the tail area strut / rigging wire attachment points.

strut pads.jpg

tail pads.jpg

11/05/2020 11:03:39

Hi Danny

Cowl looks great, well worth the effort of recovering, now for the rivets wink

Regarding my radiator, initially it was in 2 parts and the plan was to have those fixed on the fuselage and wing centre section. I think you then pointed oit the difficulty of assembly using this method so.....

Radiator halves were joined together and will fix to the model using magnets.

The centre section of the radiator was detailed suing plastic sections (square and half round to try to simulate the structure then PVA rivets and tamiya aluminium paint. this allows the join line of the 2 parts to be hidden.

The front and rear sections were covered in our favourite Flitemetal foil, managed to go around some of the curves in one but there are several pieces for the more difficult areas.

Now for the inlet slats.........

cheers

Martin

05/05/2020 08:51:11

Hi Danny

Ref the fairings - yes that exactly how I did mine.

Ref wing panel weights. I am the winner sad300g and 311g my excuse is the ailerons are painted !!

cheers

Martin

Thread: Eric's fury.
29/04/2020 10:27:28

Hi Eric

Paint looks the biz yes nice rivets too.

Thats the advantage of paint over our use of foil crying

cheers

Martin

29/04/2020 10:26:04

Hi Danny

Good to see you back on the NimFury.

I certainly sealed the first tissue layer before laying the second. seems to have worked OK.

Thinking about the wing rigging, need your guidance on that so in the mean time I'll concentract on some of the detail items.

cheers

Martin

27/04/2020 18:45:18

Eric

Take a look at page 25 of the thread

RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

27/04/2020 15:32:03

Todays activity, made the gun barrels and spyglass.

Not sure how to mount the latter as it spans across the removable cable section frown

Parts are made from Plustruct tubing cut to size / drilled as required.

guns.jpg

cheers

Martin

25/04/2020 20:47:46

About time !!!!cheeky

25/04/2020 19:50:43

Thanks Guys

Just to say, I thought the lightweight tissue used for the rib tapes might "disappear" under the paint - well pleased to say it didn't, the effect is very subtle - better than i have previously been able to acheive. I think the Klasskote covers so nicely it does not have to be a thick coat so the tapes still show.

Shame i didnt do the stiches crying

cheers

Martin

PS - still waiting for updates Danny wink 2

Edited By Martin Fane on 25/04/2020 19:51:24

25/04/2020 18:15:07

Martian, Eric

Thanks, yes i want this finished too, made some progress but about 75% still to do surprise

Danny

Good, thought I might be in detention for adding too much weight. Strangely the top coat of yellow only added 3 grammes.

It is Klasskote I'm using, really nice stuff, glad I listened to you and decided to use it. also a big thanks to Phil at FighterAces for his advice on using it.

So the tail is painted now, this came out at 94grammes so same as Erics Oracover version ?

stab painted.jpg

And the tail feathers trial fitted, starting to come together now.....

tail painted.jpg

Definately going to have to move to the gun rather than airbrush for the fuselage and wings.

cheers

Martin

23/04/2020 19:55:42

Danny

The primer is a halfords rattle can acrylic.

Does 5g sound an awful lot ????

23/04/2020 14:26:34

Hi All

A bit more progress with some scalish bits and pieces. Applied some of the panels and hatches. All using cut and shaped lithoplate. Rivets to come...........

footholes.jpg

panels tail.jpg

panels front.jpg

And some priming, interesting to see the weight gain, lets see what the top coat adds crying

tail dry.jpg

tail primed.jpg

Are we tempting you back Danny wink

cheers

Martin

Edited By Martin Fane on 23/04/2020 14:27:42

Thread: Eric's fury.
23/04/2020 11:49:45

Hi Eric

Looking good on her own 2 feet smiley

BTW, my method of oleo / landing gear was only a copy - credit goes to Danny.

BTW, how did you mkae your wheel covers ?

cheers

Martin

21/04/2020 18:16:44

Hi Eric

Impressive work, enjoying following your build.

cheers

Martin

Thread: K3736- MkI Fury-Jose L.G.
21/04/2020 18:14:03

Hi Jose

Nice work, you build is really coming along thumbs up

Martin

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!