By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Fane

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Fane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MF's Hawker Fury Mk1
20/08/2019 18:03:01

Hi All

We need you back on the build Danny - lots of tricky bits for you to sort out for us smiley

Shaped, glassed and primed the radiator parts and test fitted.

Also shaped some blue foam "wing body" fairings on the wing underside.

radiator4.jpg

radiator5.jpg

Here's my attempt at the actual radiator grill. The mesh is fixed to a peice of lithoplate, the whole thing airbrushed black then rubbed off to try to get the radiator effect, hopefully will look OK with the cooling shutters fitted to obscure it a bit

mesh in place.jpg

If anybody is looking fro some mesh - here's what I used

mesh.jpg

14/08/2019 21:21:01

A little more progress on the fury whilst waiting for the rain to stop crying

Moving on from Aluminium foil for the time being, made a start on the radiator, blocked up and ready for a fair bit of shaping and sanding

radiator.jpg

radiator2.jpg

radiator3.jpg

All still removable to allow installation the landing gear

Edited By Martin Fane on 14/08/2019 21:21:55

11/08/2019 17:37:14

Last bit of work for a while, lower hatch sanded to shape

lower hatch done.jpg

11/08/2019 15:17:37

Hi All

Still chipping away at the Fury.

Cowl prepared, took a fair bit of filling, sanding, filling, sanding ete etc. Now ready for covering which i think will be foil. The curves worry me a bit, maybe paint is a better option ??

cowl painted.jpg

Tried a bit of foil covering on the gun trough hatch, this was glassed first to give a nice flat / hard surface.

Not sure i like the "shinny" effect sadI used metal coat but it marks so easily. i have some Flite Metal on order so maybe this will be better ????

gun troughs covered.jpg

And preparing a lower hatch, this will be blue foam lined with balsa, removable to give me more access for flightpacks etc.

lower hatch.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 11/08/2019 15:18:03

Thread: K3731 Martians Fury 1
11/08/2019 11:50:33

Martin

Lovely model, very inspirational yes

Cheers

Martin

15/07/2019 17:09:03

Hi Fellow Furites

A quick update, progressing slowly.........

cabane litho.jpg

Cabane lithoplate finished, cyno used. Tried a little weathering after a small glue spillage, looks OK I think. Now how to proceed as those curved surface look hard work for lithoplate indecision

Just could not get RDS aileron drive to work. I can only think there was a problem with the geometry. I do want to use this in future builds so will plan ahead better for the correct installation. Reverted to plan B so will have to suffer visible drive rods etc..

aileron servo.jpg

Thread: K3731 Martians Fury 1
28/06/2019 20:27:38

Looking great Martian.

Love that prop and spinner, they look spot on.

Looking forward to more updates

Cheers

Martin

26/06/2019 22:03:28

Chaps

whats the best method for attaching the litho ?

I've used cyno on the gun troughs - seems to be holding OK but I wonder if there is abetter solution ?

26/06/2019 20:17:03

Progressed the cabane hatch and struts.

A little filler was required on one side of the sheeting to get a good match at the F4 / F3 areas. I then glassed the sheeting as I intended to use foil covering.

Used solatex to wrap the strut, stuck using dope, hope this stays put. Its not as easy / flexible to use as I suspect silk would be and does not like to conform to the more complicated ends of the struts - may have to use some silk to finish off this area.

The brass anchor points have also been installed.

cabane installed.jpg

cabane2.jpg

Decided the surface was not flat enough for foil covering so tried a little lithoplate work, play stopped for the day as HWMBO has returned and is not keen on me using the gas hob to aneal the lithoplate sad

cabane3.jpg

All very similar to Dannys, but then I am still an apprentice. frown

Edited By Martin Fane on 26/06/2019 20:19:39

24/06/2019 20:27:26

Slight change of plan with rudder and elevator servo locations.

The elevator pushrod is a 6mm carbon rod with m2 threaded rods JB welded in.

Access to fittings through the "scale" empenage access panel

rudder elev servos.jpg

tail access.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 24/06/2019 20:30:32

24/06/2019 20:24:33

I can thoroughly recommend this wire bender, Fathers Day hint worked a treat wink

wire bender.jpg

24/06/2019 18:34:24

Hi All

At last managed to properly bend the cabane struts. Yes you can see my many failed attempts !

These turned out to be not quite the shape on the plan, I suspect my wing spar clips were possibly fitted slightly out. Done now so well pleased. feel i can move on.......

cabane.jpg

24/06/2019 18:32:18

Hi Danny

Servo horn set splines were a perfect fit - i owe you one yes

RDS fittings now installed onto the horns

wing servo.jpg

18/06/2019 17:14:17

Hi Danny

That's brilliant info.

Yes please smiley

18/06/2019 15:59:46

Hi All

I'm looking to use Danny's RDS solution for the aileron control.

I have a pair of HiTech HS125MG thin wing servos for this.

They only come with single arm horns and the servo output spline is not the same as for example the HS225MG so I cannot use a 2 or 4 arm or disc horn from these on the HS125.

I cannot seem to find anyone who supplies after market horns with this spline size.

Anybody come across this or have a solution ? Any help appreciated.

regards

Martin

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
11/06/2019 21:46:55

Hi Danny

Looking back at your wing servos, are they opposite handed on left and right wings ie mounted opposite ways up ?

I was wondering if this is needed to keep the RDS shaft in the correct position for the boxes ?

I was thinking of having the servos mounted so that the screws are removed from the wing lower surface side, just in case of having to open up for access, would be less visible on the lower surface ??

Cheers

Martin

11/06/2019 15:37:45

Hi Danny

Looking good, so lithoplate it is for all the cowlings etc ?

Thanks for your research regarding covering - its all new to me but looking forward to having a go at tissue and silk.

cheers

Martin

04/06/2019 19:20:13

Hi Danny / Chris

Thanks for the tip re solder. I've ordered a 3.5m sample.

Description does sound rather good so report to follow.....

Cheers

Martin

03/06/2019 06:27:39

Hi Danny

Great progress, very useful guidance regarding the cabane assembly.

Back to the workshop for me then to catchup.

Do you think something like JB Weld would be suitable in place of soldering for any of this work?

Cheers

Martin

09/05/2019 20:07:47

Hi Furites

Quick update, a bit more progress, ailerons finally just about constructed and hinged. I'm following Danny with RDS so this all looks familiar looks familiar. Still need to cut a channelon the wing tip trailing edges for the outboard hinge rod.

Nice fit of the ailerons with the frise aileron effect noticeable with up aileron. RDS pockets also started. i'm seeing almost an inch of up / down aileron deflection possible so plenty me thinks ????

wings ailerons.jpg

alieron pockets.jpg

Some reinforcing with carbon sheet

cabane bolts support.jpg

Elevators joined - G10 horn and square section carbon rod

fury elevator joiner.jpg

Still pondering rudder and elevator servo location but plate made and tried behind F4.

Aligning the plate with the fueslage structure join seems like it will provide good alignment for the elevator control rod and rudder pull pull cables to the rear end ?? The plate is a lamination of 1/16 ply & 1/16 balsa the 1/64 ply underneath then some small 1/16 ply plates for the servo screws..

elev and rudder servo plate.jpg

Also done a little "rigging" - horizontal stabiliser located and secured with dry fit skewers, this will eventually be glued to the support plate. Just wondering if we need to have the vertical stabiliser off set to the left with our electric power train ?? Any advice gladly received.

fury tail.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us