By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Fane

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Fane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MF's Hawker Fury Mk1
06/12/2019 14:06:25

Finished the fuselage tissueing and on with the Flitemetal.

Managed a few panels on one side, fiddly and marks easily but has the right look I think.

The area aft of the cockpit will be tissue covered to simulate the full size fabric covered stowage oanels (i think thats what it is) unless Danny has other suggestions ??

flitemetal on.jpg

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
01/12/2019 09:49:44

Hi Danny

Looking at your centre section, you seem to have some extra spanwise peices of balsa between some ribs. Whats this for ?

cheers

Martin

28/11/2019 19:09:20

Thanks Danny

Yes it was the thin lithoplate, the tissue is the second layer, no dope on it yet - its still drying / shrinking.

28/11/2019 15:57:47

Hi Fellow Furites

Well, had enough studying Dannys posts and videos and decided to get on with some modelling.

First some tissuing, a very long time since I've done this but following the video seemd to produce good results, this is 2 layers of Yorkshire tea bag tissue wink

some tissue on fuselage.jpg

Next up some litho work to make those blisters. I had decided covering the cowl with blisters in one go was not going to work so off they came and a bit of isopon filled the holes.

I made up a mold from one of the removed blisters and went about forming blisters from lithoplate, Dannys technique worked a treat, The Dapping tools make light work of the forming. My initial effort by trying to form the lithoplate around the blister failed miserably with the material creasing badly.

For interest the lithoplate is 0.2mm thick.

making blisters.jpg

The finished items. I realise now the blisters are actually handed but I now have 2 left hand sided ones - seem to fit OK but true scale buffs may see the error. crying

blisters.jpg

And fitted to the cowl hatch which I had previously covered in Flite metal. The Flite metal is sanded with 400 / 320 grit to remove the shine.

front cowl blisters.jpg

And the cowl area's so far, the gun trough area's are Flite metal and Lithoplate in its initail shinny stae - yet to be sanded.

so far fury.jpg

27/11/2019 10:53:15

As a matter of interest regarding metal foil covering and potential issues for receiver sensitivity.

The Flite metal website has a section discussing this and testing of Futaba / Spektrum systems. It appears the covering has no detrimental effect.

cheers

Martin

27/11/2019 10:48:39

Excellent video on metal working Danny yes

I'm going to have a go tomorrow, only have thinner lithoplate so will have to see how it stands up to forming.......

cheers

Martin

26/11/2019 12:10:31

Danny

Thanks for the videos, all very informative and really useful stuff.

Your progress / speed at progressing the build is astonishing !!

I'm progressing slowly with tissueing and glassing and foiling but nothing worth posting yet embarrassed

Waiting for a tissue delivery...........

If you need any idea's for the next video.........

How about forming lithoplate into those nose cowling upper blisters ??

cheers

Martin

19/11/2019 12:51:45

Hi Danny

Nice work, as usual.

I see what you are trying to achieve here ie to simulate metal panels overlapping fabric covering.

I was nervous about the masking issues and the potential to damage the tissue areas when masking for the glassing hence I glassed first.

I will now probably use your filler technique to extend my glassed area's over the edge of the tissued area's (that is when I get around to tissueing)

cheers

Martin

16/11/2019 07:51:55

Hi Martyn

Thanks for the comments, I've followed your build too, looks great, the finish line isn't too far away......

Martin

16/11/2019 07:48:18

Hi Danny

Thanks for the tissueing guidance. I only have Yorkshire tea bag tissue - will that work ? wink

Martin

15/11/2019 14:59:10

Landing gear now installed and rigged. Cheap HK oleo's with extensions as suggested by Danny.

All seems to work nicely with the retaining clamps not tightened too much.

I've moved the trailing link cross brace anchor points up slightly to prevent interference with the radiator housing with the oleo's in the weight on position, not to scale but an easy solution to the problem.

landing gear1.jpg

landing gear2.jpg

Now onto some covering wink

12/11/2019 22:56:17

Danny

Thanks for the video, very informative. Now to have a go myself.

cheers

Martin

12/11/2019 13:40:58

Hi All

Yep, spent a few pennies at MR.

Decided to have a go at the wheels and tyres, much as described by Danny, I have made mine come apartable, 3 2mm screws used for this.

1/8 inch inner diameter ball races to provide smooth running.

My tyres are 19mm neoprene but I needed 265mm lengths to get a fit over the ply disc wheels. Thin cyano joins the neoprene ring, I didn't quite get an invicible join but good enough i think.

wheel kit.jpg

wheel complete.jpg

wheel no tyre.jpg

Next problem is getting a fit between the piano wire axle and the ball race inner diameters. The best fit piano wire is 2.98mm with the ballraces being 2.97mm !!!!

I guess heating the ballrace and freezing the axle should work but this would be a one off assembly as they wont be coming apart again ??

Now for the wheel covers - litho or shaped foam covered in GF cloth and resin ??

Any advice appreciated wink

Edited By Martin Fane on 12/11/2019 13:41:21

Edited By Martin Fane on 12/11/2019 13:41:42

Edited By Martin Fane on 12/11/2019 13:43:10

11/11/2019 12:38:46

Danny

Thanks for the words.

Ref a video, yes please, as they say - a picture is worth a thousand...............

Martin

11/11/2019 11:48:47

Great to see more progress, is that a chink of light I see ???wink

Can you give a quick description of your tissueing technique ?

Not done tissueing since I was a kid !!

cheers

Martin

05/11/2019 15:03:33

Hi Fellow builders

Inspired by Teachers progress so decided a tailwheel was a better idea than the skid. I'm not really modelling a specific Fury example so I think practicality over scale is a better option.

Tailwheel is aluminium tube, piano wire and some shrink tube to build up the piano wire arms, finished off with some ??BA nuts.

tailwheel start.jpg

The whole thing siuts in a larger diameter alloy tube section in the balsa block. I opted for a carbon rod drive from the servo with M2 rod and clevises for adjustment. The tailwheel is removable by using a small screw securing the 2 sections.

tailwheel.jpg

And made a start on the landing gear bits, waiting oleos at the moment. I also feel a shopping spree at Mick Reeves coming on.....

uc start.jpg

05/11/2019 13:10:05

Hi Danny

Great progress by yourself. Thanks for all the insight and sharing your techniques.

Now its back to the building board / facsimile machine for me wink 2- time to try and catch up.

Me thinks Mr Reeves may have a rush on for silver soldering stuff !!

cheers

Martin

24/10/2019 09:28:23

Hi Danny

Good to see you back on the build.

Nice tailwheel installation - what diameter is the wheel ?

Any fellow builders attending Gaydon this Sunday ??

cheers

Martin

09/10/2019 16:08:15

Danny

Ref the oleo's - what diameter and length are the ones you are thinking of using ?

Are you still planning no further litho work on your Fury ?

cheers

Martin

09/10/2019 13:00:42

I wonder if any fellow builders out there who are planning on using oleos for the landing gear could let me know which ones they have. Presumably Hobbyking but I wonder which size suits the model best

Thanks in advance

Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us