By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GrahamC

Here is a list of all the postings GrahamC has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Servo Torque guide - Sport Flying (electric)
29/07/2019 10:02:48

How many amps was the SBEC? And how many servos was it driving?

Thread: Aliphatic glue
17/04/2019 18:52:57

Quick answer no! It won't really adhere properly.

Your glues for Depron are.... Epoxy, Polyeurethane, [Gorilla Glue] UHU Por, foam safe CA and RC canopy glue [Zap Formula 560]

The Zap Formula 560 is a bit like PVA, but sticks much more effectively to foam and dries clear.

Depends what you are building really but UHU Por and Gorilla PU glue will allow you to do most things.

Thread: New Drone/Aerodrome Regulations - Is your club at risk?
13/03/2019 15:20:40

I should clarify.

I'm not a committee member, but I know that the commitee have put in a lot of work. I know that they have approached the ATC with a draft memorandum based on the BMFA template, but as of today have not been able to resolve the issue.

I wrote to the UAS sector lead and UAS Policy (Operations) individuals at the CAA as a private individual, expressing my frustration that as a club instructor who has taught people to operate models safely and legally, the new rules have stopped me enjoying my hobby but will do hardly anything to prevent those who are prepared to operate illegally.

13/03/2019 14:35:36

My club is shut down at present and the gate locked awaiting outcome of discussions with ATC at the local Airfield.

I find the whole thing very frustrating. As a law abiding model flyer I can't fly, but the rules will do little to prevent those who are prepared to break the law.

I have politely corresponded with those responsible for UAS policy at the CAA, and they did do me the courtesy of replying and assuring me that they sympathise and that they "recognise that aero modellers are a conscientious and law-abiding group" but couldn't offer any help in dealing with the local ATC.

I was amused to see one forum member's insistence in the thread about the 737 MAX issues that the CAA would not take a decision lightly.

They have just banned the flying of 25 gram chuck gliders in every open space within 2.5 miles of a protected aerodrome without ATC permission and with very little warning. I do wonder whether kicking a ball in the park might technically be prohibited under the rules.

I'm wondering what would happen if I ring ATC and ask for permission to fly my chuck glider!

Edited By GrahamC on 13/03/2019 14:36:12

Thread: BMFA Website down...?
27/09/2018 07:42:00

Now working for me. No need to clear cache.

Thread: My motor has started screaming
26/09/2018 14:41:04

Screeching and kicking on startup is often a sign of a failing solder joint on one of the connectors between the motor and the ESC as Chris says. Worth checking.

Thread: BMFA Website down...?
26/09/2018 14:32:04

I’m in France usinging Livebox wifi in a gite. I’m getting “Safari cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection with the server.”

If I use the WiFi on my Android phone in chrome I get: “This site can’t provide a secure connection bmfa.org sent an invalid response. ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR”

If I turn off WiFi on the phone... although it was working it now says that bmfa is taking too long to load..... and as soon as I posted it loaded properly!

Hope that is helpful

Edited By GrahamC on 26/09/2018 14:32:42

24/09/2018 19:43:33

Not working for me using Safari on an iPad Over WiFi in France. Working fine on Android phone running Chrome over mobile internet.

Thread: Design & Build FW 200 Condor / Syndicato
23/07/2018 20:18:27

Magnificent build.

Taking a quick look at the motor, and particular the reviews that have been added for the motor it looks to me as though some users have discovered that the prop information given in the specifications is incorrect. The review that is currently first in the list indicates that the motor is being used with 11 inch props and a little further down the reviews you find this comment:

“Great motor for a slow stick (original). HK has the wrong prop specs: at 11.1 volts, a 3S LIPO, the normal prop to use ranges from a 11 X 6 (12 amp draw) up to a 12 X 6 (15 amp draw).”

I think that may be your problem. You either need bigger props (is there ground clearance?) or more volts (as you suggest) or even possibly to consider swapping the motors for higher KV units.

Edited By GrahamC on 23/07/2018 20:19:21

Thread: Electric Cars.
23/04/2018 11:53:44

Posted by David Tayler on 23/04/2018 09:25:32:

I have had a Leaf for 3and a half years now, It is fantastic to drive,all the torque at low speeds ,incredibly quiet and very economical.We use economy severn and our solar pannels. The servicing costs are low as is the insurance if one shops around.Amazingly some companies don't do electric cars! We do though have a deisel for long runs. Try one and you may be hooked.

We have one too.... Cheaper to buy, own and run than the 10 year old Scenic it replaced was to own and run.

Great to drive - masses of torque in town... We also have a diesel car that we would use for the longer journeys... but for 80% of what we do the Leaf is fine - and much more enjoyable to drive.

Now what would be great would be a way of utilising the drive battery to charge my Lipos at the flying field! 

Edited By GrahamC on 23/04/2018 11:55:31

Thread: Back to Helis.. Blade 500 ?
13/04/2017 10:15:23

I fly a Blade 500x and many spares are available for the time being. How long that will continue remains to be seen.

The head can be replaced with a clone Trex 500 head in the event of a crash. Servos are a funny size. The blade holes are larger than those on a Trex 500 which can limit choices.

My opinion and would be if its cheap enough go for it.

By cheap enough I mean well under £200. As a guide I gave £160 for a pristine 500x. If its more than £200 leave it and find a good used Trex 500. Ive seen Blade 500's selling new for silly money on eBay, and to be honest I think you would be better building a clone Trex 500. 

Edited By GrahamC on 13/04/2017 10:17:27

Thread: Corona servos
03/03/2017 07:49:38

RCLife have the Frsky ones. They are more expensive than the Corona ones though.

Thread: Recommend a M/R for some OLD lads to have a dabble
09/02/2017 18:29:28

Fun Flyer. Did those motors come with a cross mount? If they did bolting the cross mount to the back of the motor and then using cable ties to attach the motor to the frame will create a mechanical fuse for when you crash [which you will] Ive made tri copters out of PVC conduit tubing and fixed motors like that. I've never had a mount break in flight - but I reckon its saved me a few motors in a hard crash. Just an idea!

Thread: Are the BMFA Mandatory Questions Applicable?
08/02/2017 17:02:06

So BEB... If I fly my rc glider up into the approach path to the local airport.... am I in contravention of article 240 or not? Would you answer be

a] No because you and your glider are exempted by the ANO from compliance with article 240

Or

b] Yes because by virtue of what you are doing, you are a person recklessly or negligently acting in a manner that is likely to endanger an aircraft, or a person in an aircraft"

If I throw a laser pen up in the air, I dare say it isn't governed by the ANO while it is in flight. However if I turn it on and point it at an aircraft I am certainly in contravention of article 240.

Thread: Taranis sounds like a geiger counter
12/12/2016 09:13:58

As already suggested ...try turning the antenna to the horizontal. Mine makes a racket when it is vertical.

Thread: Bind-n-fly compatibility
12/12/2016 09:10:52

Depends what radio you currently use. I fly Spektrum bind and fly with a taranis and orange module. That can always be made to work because the taranis allows you to assign the channel order.

Thread: Drones Again........
09/12/2016 18:18:32

This story suggests that a DJI Phantom 2 could make it all the way up to 11000 feet - but only just and it could only remain there for a moment if there is to be any possibility of a controlled descent. This latest pilot's claim that "I nearly hit a drone" sounds like a bit of a tall story to me. [Pun intended]

Just for fun, read this report and ask yourself what the headline would be it happened today. Seems like pilots are reporting less and less UFO's these days; all they see up there now are drones.

BTW I'm not arguing for the existence of or non existence of alien life forms; just pointing out that from time to time pilots "see things" and what they see is in no small part affected by what they expect it to be.

Here is the last two sentences of the story about UFO sighting: 

"Reports of sightings of UFOs peaked in 1996 in the UK - when science fiction drama The X Files was popular. According to the files, there were more than 600 reports in 1996, compared with an average of 240 in the previous five years."

And now everyone is talking about drones... 

Edited By GrahamC on 09/12/2016 18:21:19

Thread: Opinion Polls
09/11/2016 19:42:38

Actually the polls were pretty close in predicting the outcome of the US election. Trump got 47.5% of the vote and Hillary got 47.7 (yes slightly more votes overall) To put that in context, final polls had Trump at 44.9% and Hillary on 48.5%. So Trump did 2.6% better and Hillary 0.8% better than predicted, both well within the 3% margin of error. Tiny differences in actual percentages create big differences in voting outcomes.

Anyway... yes I've been asked my opinion in an IPSOS poll.... and was asked outright who I would vote for. I told the truth, but I'd not be surprised to find a lot of people don't. Given that is the reality of polling I think it's surprising that the companies get as close as they do.... and no I don't work for a polling company!

Edited By GrahamC on 09/11/2016 19:55:37

Thread: hobbyking - big changes
29/10/2016 18:22:38

Wow that's bad. Fortunately don't need anything from Hobbyking right now... but for example - there doesn't seem to be a way to see which batteries are in stock in which warehouse.

Looks like I'm supposed to click "buy" on all the possibiliities until I find one in stock at the UK warehouse? I wonder how long before they fix it? It's got to be hurting sales. Hopefully not too long.

Thread: Petrol glow plug
28/08/2016 22:45:51

Just Engines do sell a spark plug in the shape of a glow plug. I won't however work without an ignition module, and will require the mounting of a magnet and hall sensor on the front crank of the glow motor.

There is also an old thread here discussing the viability of running a glow engine on neat petrol with a permanently lit glow plug,

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us