By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Fatscoleymo

Here is a list of all the postings Fatscoleymo has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Colin Leighfield's Chipmunk build.
12/03/2016 18:16:14

Hi Colin,

A bit of discussion on fairing shape last January (2015) ..... I think at the end of the day general agreement was that it should be concave...not convex...many photo's tend to lead to that...the 3 view drawing 3063 which a few of us were working to shows it concave, but that doeas not seem to be correct. Seems wierd 'cos almost all root fairings curve into the wing concave..but the Chippy....

Fats

Edited By Fatscoleymo on 12/03/2016 18:17:13

Thread: Electric flight safety logic
22/02/2016 07:04:50

..........'Yes that is easy on the Taranis, but how do you prevent this switch accidentally being activated when the throttle is zero and the model is still flying.......'

Ok then, use two switches.....each on opposite sides on the tranny....or deadstick.....

Fats...

21/02/2016 19:55:39

Ya can program Taranis (and my buddy has it on his DX9) for throttle cut to activate only if throttle is less than 10% - or whatever value you care to input, maybe just the last 5% where trim operates... or whatever..

Then when flying using normal throttle inputs no chance of accidently switching off....

I use it on all my IC planes.

Fats

Thread: John's Ballerina Build
19/02/2016 16:39:47

I've fitted wing servos like that for years now, but don't bother with any support - just rough up the ply and one side of the servo, then hot melt glue in place..simples...

Never had one come loose and it is easy enough to pry one off if need be..

Looking good John.

Ballerina is a pretty model, but I prefer Peter's very similar design Chantilly Lace - I'm on my second, lovely flyer and fits in one piece in the back of the estate with the seats still up..

Fats

Thread: Fats' chippy build
09/02/2016 20:39:06

Well guys - due (I think), to some sort of voodoo messages Danny must have been giving off today while photgraphing his finished masterpiece, my mojo visited me and I did the 1st work on the Chippy since my last post nearly 11 months ago!

dscf1799.jpg

Sprayed primer/filler on the top of the wing and rubbed down, applied a bit of stopper and knocked that back...let's hope mojo's back for a while!

Thought I'd show a couple shots of my tidy 'shed' - tidy 'cos i ain't been doing much...

dscf1800.jpg

dscf1801.jpg

Well...tidy for me...

Fats

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
09/02/2016 19:52:49

Stunning Danny, just stunning. I bet you're well pleased with that.....

Something stirred me today and I did the 1st work on my Chippy since the 22nd March......before I went off to Aus for a few weeks.....I did come back, but just never got back onto it....

Must have been some sort of voodoo message you were sending out today Danny.....get on with it to everyone...

Well done and thanks for the masterclass you gave us.

Fats

Thread: I confess to serious error
09/02/2016 19:38:34

Taranis has model match as well - rx. will only work with the model memory it is assigned to.

Fats

Thread: Which radio 2016
06/02/2016 15:31:08

Bruce - you canna go wrong with Taranis...

I've had mine for nearly 2 & 1/2 years now and it does everything I need and want it to do, and is not difficult to program, once you get into it. No more so than I remember the rest being on 1st aquaintance... (mind I hardly remember anything these days)...

I came from Futaba, then JR and was always consulting the manuals. I've found with Taranis that the logical 'flow' during programing means I just think it through and rarely now have to look at the 'manuals' that I originally printed out from the online sources.

I was at the field last year with a buddy who had programmed throttle cut into his IC planes and I thought what a good idea - it took just a couple of minutes there and then to add an extra line to the mix and asign a switch and I had it...

So much help from the various forums online if ya do get stuck...

Wonderful bit of kit....the rx and sensors are inexpensive, the radio link is rocksolid, rx battery readout and alarms great, RSSI is very reassuring, telemetry great, companion excellent (although I don't use it)..... and you can mod it if you want to (as mine was an early one I did the speaker upgrade and bigger battery and charger upgrade - all of course now standard on Taranis +) spares are cheap and easily obtained.

I'd never 'dared' look inside a tranny before - in fact only a few years ago it cost me about £70 to have the internal battery changed on my JR set!!!..... never again.....

Go on - you know it makes sense!

Fats

Mmmmm... I do sound a bit evangelical there.... but you get my drift I hopeangel

Thread: Problem with the semi permanent residents
01/02/2016 20:12:59

Electric fence is good - my old club in the UK had a patch in a very large field that had either cattle or sheep on it all year round. Without the fence the strip would have been no good at all, but the small effort in dismantling and re-erecting the fence each session kept it sweet. Leisure battery powered it - in a box in the ground. Worked well for us.

Fats

Thread: Falcon Aviation 1/3 Scale Fournier.
27/01/2016 22:38:56

Gawd, that looks a nice kit...always a beautiful aircraft to watch fly.

Will follow the build with much interest.

I've got the Mick Reeves 1/4 scale....do I need a 1/3 rd scale....mmmmmmm

Keep up the good work.

Fats

Thread: Hobby King rotary cutter...cuts iron on film
27/01/2016 17:22:04

Hi John, wonder if they do spare blades?

I've used wifey's dressmaking rotary cutter - very good for glassfibre cloth, but never tried it on film or Solartex... don't know why.

Wifey just told me she paid £11 in a craft shop for it.....will have to look at her allowance...wink

Fats

Thread: New FrSky EU firmware - an unwelcome surprise
27/01/2016 07:32:22

No idea Stuart, I've followed this thread from the start and about the only thing I'm clear on is the term LBT!

I've resisted updating anything so far as I've not had to buy any receivers.... but I will have to sometime soon...

26/01/2016 20:39:16

Listen Before Transmit

Thread: sliding cockpit canopies
23/01/2016 07:47:57

Mike - if you check out Danny Fenton's Chipmunk thread you'll find photo's showing how he does it using an aluminium tube with a slot cut into it (a jig is involved) and a piece of the 'girder' section slid into it. I am planning on doing my Chippy that way once I get back onto the build.

Fats

Thread: wing struts help needed
16/01/2016 07:16:13

My 2.7m span Balsa USA 1/4 scale cub kit had supplied hardwood (looks like Cyparus?) struts and they are holding up fine (forgive the pun) after 4 seasons flying.

Fats

Thread: Luscombe Silvaire options
07/01/2016 16:04:38

Hi Kim,

I have no recommendations for a kit or plan, but there is a very recent post on the Vintage Model Company's SE5a, and it is glowing on the quality of the kit.

Lovely aircraft the Silvaire, nearly bought a part share in a full size many years ago....should have.

Fats.

Thread: Fuel proofer over acrylic paint
08/07/2015 17:32:32

My experience with poly c has shown it does not work with 10% nitro and the exhaust residue. It lifts and leaves a right gooey sticky mess. Otherwise it's fine !wink

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
08/07/2015 07:24:50

I've been waiting in anticipation for you to get to this stage Danny - Fantastic! What a superb job, just brilliant. Your work and detailed explanations on this build have been an inspiration. Thanks for all the extra time you have put in letting us all share in the methods of the scale builder. Really, really inspirational.

Fats

20/06/2015 07:36:06

Seatbelt guides?

Thread: this hobby needs more young blood
19/06/2015 17:16:47

I remember this same discussion going on in my UK club 10-12 years ago, and 10 years before that, and 10 years before that. Club is still thriving.

We have a handful of youngsters in the club here in France, but I have noticed that they seem to be very active for a while (maybe a year or 2) and then seem to dissapear. As has been suggested I think other things become more important. Hopefully they will return to the club environment later. That's what I did, probably many others as well.

The introduction of 2.4gz and off the shelf planes has meant that the old way of having to build your own aircraft and fly at the club ( to avoid being shot down) no longer is necessary. I now fly an electric foamy from a field nx to my house, thats something I would have not been able to do a few years ago. Maybe there are youngsters just doing there own thing out there.

When I 1st started RC flying about 40 years ago, I was in my early 20's, and I thought then that the majority of the members were 'old timers' ! Maybe it's always been that way.

Just my twopenneth.

Fats

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us