By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Fatscoleymo

Here is a list of all the postings Fatscoleymo has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mid Air Collisions - Have You Had One?
17/05/2015 19:28:00

It was my Chantilly Lace (a Peter Miller design) that looped beautifully into Don's PT19.

As it exited the debris in the sky it had two very short stubs of wings left on, and decended ungracefully into the wheat field where there was some, not too serious, damage to the front caused by the impact with the ground.

Don's PT19 was missing all it's tail feathers, part of the trailing edge of one wing, and suffered more sustained damage to the nose on impact.

Only my 2nd mid-air, the other at least 25 years ago - and that was when there were just 2 models flying also.

The poll results of a little while ago confirmed what a lot us supected - that when only two models are in the air, some sort of super strength 'rare earth magnet' type attraction happens between them.

They will rebuild, I've already dug out the plans to start a new wing.

Fats

Thread: Chip Shop
15/05/2015 08:23:13

Martin - that looks fantastic, really nice work.

Fats

Thread: Old Twin Jet upgrade advice needed
15/05/2015 08:21:06

Hi Guys,

I've had a Multiplex Twin Jet hanging up in my workshop for years doing nowt. Has the original 400 (480?) brushed can motors and originally flew on 3000 nicads / nimh. Very heavy kit compared to modern lipos etc.

I'm thinking of stripping it out and fitting a couple of brushless motors and new esc, but I know little about the 'dark side' and could do with recommendations for motors, esc and batteries.

I have some 2200 3s lipos (I use them in my bixler) which, if I could use, would be great.

Can anybody help with inexpensive ideas to get this little beauty back in the air?

Thanks,

Fats

12/05/2015 19:11:58

Is there anyone out there?teeth 2

Seems like the chip shop has stopped frying for the summer.

I've 'mothballed' the build for a while. I extended my workshop during some prolonged wet and windy weather, but now that it's come good I'm spending the time either flying or other outdoor 'stuff'.

Of course I know the building bug will get me to me sometime over the summer and I will progress in stits & farts as I feel inclined.

What's everyone else up to?

Fats.

Thread: Taranis loudspeaker upgrade
07/05/2015 21:42:17

I did it about a year ago - used a cut down epoxy mixing cup as the mount and hot melt to fix.

It does make a significant improvement and worth it in my opion. Much louder and clearer.

Fats

Thread: Variometer/altitude telemetry
23/04/2015 08:15:53

Hello Geoff,

I've got Taranis and high res vario and virtually the same set up as Phil.

It's in my Bixler. On a 3 position switch I have the vario tones, spoken rate of climb and altitude, with volume on a slider.

I find it really useful and it seems to be accurate - even recognises altitude changes when you pick it up off the floor. As Phil says if you programme the announcements too frequently they can annoy, but you can always turn the volume down and just enjoy the soaring.

Fats

Thread: Canopy Glue
12/04/2015 08:36:43

+1, also great for Robart hinges!

Thread: Range Check
06/04/2015 02:22:29

Hi John, I did some tests a while back and with my Taranis and x8r was getting a reading of 51 at 55 paces.

Fats

Thread: Chips with everything
05/04/2015 00:30:33

Great job Nev.

Fats

Thread: MFs Chipmunk
05/04/2015 00:25:43

Cracking Martin, lovely job.

Fats

05/04/2015 00:14:45

I've seen your photo now John and understand your problem.

I've had to fix my tank in permanently-could see no way to make it removable once everything was fitted. Don't like it like

that, but I gave it a good check and test before it was installed so fingers crossed!

Fats

03/04/2015 10:46:30
Gud'day to ya all from Oz. John, my tank is fitted as the plan (I used bearers as the plan) so cockpit floor does not interfere at all. If its that far back will you not have CG issues?
Fats
Thread: wot are the rods for?
24/03/2015 10:26:07
Yes, that sounds right Cuban8.
No time in HK - enroute to Oz.
thanks,
Fats
24/03/2015 10:12:28
Hi guys, just flown into Hong Kong on a 777 and for the 1st time wondered what the 10 or so little rod like extensions are for on the trailing edge of the ailerons. Maybe to do with lightening strike dissipation? Anybody know?
Fats
Thread: Fats' chippy build
22/03/2015 12:57:37

Well, last post for a while - off tomorrow to Melbourne for the big lads wedding, away 3 weeks.

Got all the glassing done, went pretty well (for me) and can recommend the peel ply method that Danny showed.

dscf1271.jpg

Last job I did was to spray Halfords yellow filler/primer on the underside of the wing and commence the rub down. I've used a little of the Squadron white 'putty' filler in a few area's - that's still to rub down. A bit more work when I get back then onto all the rest. Lots still to do.

dscf1275.jpg

I expect you all to stick in while I'm away - no slacking now!!!

Gudday t'all

Fats

Thread: Colin Leighfield's Chipmunk build.
20/03/2015 17:39:00

I bet that felt good Colin! Now you're motoring on. Looks like a Chippie now.

I've never delved into the Depron world - your exploits are wetting my appetite. Mmmmmm......... Next project maybe?......

Fats

Thread: MFs Chipmunk
18/03/2015 21:11:01

Looking good Martin. I hope my wing turns out that well.

I used best part of 2 packs of Mick's tapes, suprising how much there is to do.

Fats

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
15/03/2015 11:13:05

Looks the biz Danny. You have a way of making it all seem so logical, and straightforward. Of course to me it certainly is not. I've scratched my head so much on this build that what little bit of hair I had has just about gone completely. But really enjoying it at the moment.

Fats

Thread: Fats' chippy build
14/03/2015 12:48:59

I've been glassing lately - tailplane (or increasingly referred to as the horizontal stabiliser) and fin (vertical stabiliser???) done, and both top and bottom of wing. (Lateral lift producing structures???)dscf1267.jpg

Onwards to the fus............

I've found that is you leave the finishing resin in the mixing pot it goes off more quickly, leaving less time to apply before it starts to thicken up. The 1st side of the wing took me about 50 mins and I was getting a bit nervous approaching the end as the resin became harder to use. My mate Don told me the chemical reaction heats it up when it's all together in the pot speeding up the curing, so the second side I tipped the mixed resin out onto a page of an old Machine Mart catalogue (good tip John Stonesthumbs up) and it certainly slows down the curing. Much more relaxing to use. Cheers Don, cheers John.

Fats

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
12/03/2015 16:09:16

Very interesting, nice way to create the panel lines Danny.

Fats

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us