By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Den Moran

Here is a list of all the postings Den Moran has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Foam wing scale 'covering'
21/12/2016 10:03:12

This is a letter I sent to Andrew Newman, the brilliant ossie who made foamcutting bows simple!

Hi, Andrew - Den from Wales here. I have made the bow as per your instructive vids, and it does exactly what it says on the can - brilliant tool! So thanks for your dedication and hours of testing so that we could all get it together without fuss. For my first project using the bow, I want to cut a Stearman Bipe PT 17 wing. As a scale point, the covering shows 'dips' where the ribs/aerofoils are - any ideas how to replicate them, please? Nadolig Llawen (Happy Xmas!), Den

Anyone else have any ideas,please?

Cheers, Happy Xmas!

Den

Thread: Dummy Cylinders
01/12/2016 08:25:56

Brilliant! Thanks , everyone, Den

30/11/2016 10:37:02

Wow! They look nice, Rich! I'll get on that - think my mate has a back copy! Den

30/11/2016 09:15:23

P,S, Good luck with the Tomtit, Jim

30/11/2016 09:14:17

Thanks everyone - that'll do the trick, I want to try the double string method! Now to find small cardboard tube!

Den

29/11/2016 15:05:54

Hi!,

Anyone got any good suggestions for making a dummy rotary engine/cylinders for a scratchbuilt Stearman PT-17, please? Thanks,

Den

Thread: Tube into Tube
22/11/2016 11:06:01

! Yes, but then you have to order it! Thanks!

22/11/2016 10:34:49

Thanks!

Thread: Hobbyking Cessna twin propellers for sale
22/11/2016 09:53:36

Hi, everyone,

I sourced the twin cessna hobbyking props from:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261614412987

...and they work fine, although using more power than the originals, I think! Den

Thread: Tube into Tube
22/11/2016 09:44:05

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the measurements of carbon tube into carbon tube, in a foam wing,please?

I know the 'long' tube outer diameter must be the same as the internal diameter of the (fixed) receiver tube in each wing, but when I look at the suppliers for ordering they just give the wall thickness, external diameter, and length?

How do I determine which sizes to order,please?

Thanks! Den

Thread: thin aliminium
18/11/2016 14:05:06

Thanks, everyone - I should have made it clearer -3 mm thickness is what I was after. Mick Reeves Models have got back to me in the interim, so I'll be ordering the 'Metalplate' from them. Thanks once again, brilliant support as usual on this site!

18/11/2016 07:42:23

Thanks! I've tried to order some with Mick Reeves, but the system is an old one using Outlook, and I cannot access it. I've sent an e-mail asking what next.

18/11/2016 05:53:09

Hi!

Does anyone know where I can buy 0.3" thick aliminium,please?

I've watched Andrew Newman's foamcutting series, and he uses the window flashing that is common in Australia. Our buildingsupplies don't seem to use it, preferring the heavier lead flashing? Thanks,

Den

Thread: curved shapes in foam with a hotcutter
16/11/2016 09:24:14
Thanks,Ernie, that's probably the way I'll do it. No need for pix, but thanks for the offer! Den
16/11/2016 07:49:18

Hi, everyone,

I'm scratchbuilding an Me 262, and am fine with how the wings are to be cut using a hotwire.

I'm searching for a reliable method to use a foam block for cutting out the fuselage, especially as its a compound curve shape, as so many fuselages are. Any ideas? Thank you,

Den.

Wales

Thread: Pink (blue) foam, Cardiff
16/11/2016 06:15:33

Hi ,all South Wales Scratchbuilders!

After a long time looking, I've finally found a supplier for pink foam for rc aircraft. It's in South Cardiff, and I got there by coming off the A48 and following the 'docks' signs. They are very willing to sell single sheets, and easy to deal with.

On approach, keep Encon on your left, go through the security barrier, and turn left into their carpark.

The price of a 2500 x 600 x 50mm sheet was £13.32 on 15/11/16. It fits in my Citroen C5 exactly! Here is the address :

Encon Insulation,

Glass Avenue,

Ocean Way,

Cardiff

CF24 5EN

Thread: cutting ali templates
12/11/2016 11:51:47

Does anyone know if .8mm thick ali sheet can be cut with a scissors.please?

Den

Thread: Traplet Me 262
06/11/2016 10:02:21

Thanks, Ian,

I'm still not sure about committing myself to the build yet. The nearest space/time I would have would be near Easter, I think!

What about you, are you thinking about doing it? If you are thinking about passing on it, would you consider selling the plans/edfs etc/

Thanks for looking out for the plans, I will get back to you if I need more detail, although if I get the woodpack, it should (ha-ha!) be pretty straightforward.

my e-add is:

morandenis83@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers, Den

05/11/2016 12:10:50

Thanks , Michael, I'll have a think about it, and let you know. It's finding the build time really, rather than anything else!

Den

05/11/2016 07:05:27

Thanks, Ian - the vid shows it as a nice flyer, and he landed it on the nacelles with no problem. At 50", I think it should be ok to fit flaps and retracts. The Freewing 59" w/s has them, and is quite a heavy aircraft.

I would get a laser-cut pack if I decide to do it. My friend had a small Piper Cub with a pack, and he said the accuracy of the cut made it all very simple(!). I have a bungee launcher, but, as I said, would like it to have flaps and retracts.

Thanks very much once again, I'll keep you posted on developments,

Den

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
CML
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us