By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Holderness

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Holderness has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: E-Flite Scimitar chat
04/12/2011 23:02:59
Well as promised here are my thoughts on the Scimitar after the maiden.

Fist of all I have to mention that the latest offering from E-Flite is certainly the best as far as build quality is concerned, all the screws and bolts are Allen head, a big plus in my books. Everything fits as it should with no unsightly gaps between mating surfaces. Well done Horizon !

Now onto the Maiden, I balanced the Scimitar at the forward end of the recommend settings for the first flight using a bigger than recommend battery, a 4350mAh 4s pack, this gave me another 2 minutes of flight time at the expense of a little extra weight. I reasoned that the extra weight should not affect the handling as this is not a 3D model where every gram counts.

The wind was blowing straight down the strip at 10-12 mph and rotation occurred after 25m or so. The model climbed out strongly and only needed a couple of clicks of up to get a near perfect trim, I left the gear down for the first couple of circuits and recorded a straingt line speed of 74mph, after retracting the gear the speed went up to 79mph, a little slower than I was expecting. I later resoned that with all the extra drag inducing surfaces and the open wheel wells, plus the moderately pitched Prop (10x8) 80ish wasn't too bad. Handling held no nasty surprises, you can crank and bank without the model trying to snap out and vertical was truly unlimited. I'm using a DX8 and download QQ's settings from the E-Flite website, these setting gave a very balanced feel to the Scimitar but the differential will need some more tweaking as the rolls were a little barrely.

After the timer went off I brought the model around for a landing, I kept the speed up a little it insure I kept it in on piece for another flight 😜. I need not have worried as the Scimitar behaved impeccably and sat down on the mains without problem, once the speed bled of the nose came down too.

I waited until the second flight to try out the vectoring and slow speed handling, again no real surprises unless you pushed in too much vectoring at too slow a speed or to high a angle of attack as this would bring on the Boomerang 😁. It's a fun maneuver, just be ready for it! I next tried out some low/slow passes, this model really does slow up nicely, just like a Delta should, no oscillating and everything very predictable, so much so that when it came time to land I really dragged it in with a very high AoA and touchdown had main wheels and sub fins contacting the ground at the same time, very nice.

In conclusion the Scimitar isn't quite what I was expecting in the speed dept but it more than makes up for it with superior handling.

Mike

Edited By Michael Holderness on 04/12/2011 23:13:11

Edited By Michael Holderness on 04/12/2011 23:15:26

03/12/2011 23:56:58
Hey Guys,

I picked up a PNP version yesterday and will hopefully maiden it tomorrow, I've fitted the optional retracts and also the Spektrum telemetry sensors for speed . I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.

Mike
Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!