By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for D for Donald

Here is a list of all the postings D for Donald has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Oodalally
13/02/2019 08:04:18

That's it M.

12/02/2019 22:43:17

I love my Ood and goes like a rocket with a glow 32 in it, This will be my 4th season with it I think. I have repaired it about 3 times after various prangs and it now looks like an old warhorse. Mine has a vicious wing stall if flown too slowly so my advice is keep the speed up even when landing.

Edited By D for Donald on 12/02/2019 22:44:04

Thread: Irvine 53 carb setting
21/04/2017 15:35:15

Crikey, ​ I confess I had forgotten about my post of March 2013! Thanks all for your comments but I have sorted out the tuning on my Irvine 53 by using the tube and pin method. My request for the Manual was for completeness as I bought a couple of 53's on ebay back in 2013 and they are still going strong . The Mark 1 is a brilliant engine I have to say.

03/09/2016 18:57:21

To update you all I have repaired my Ood hopefully for a final time. The right wing now has a slight warp I can do nothing about due to a difficult repair and the fuse has exterior 1/32 ply plates on each side as it's broken in half there before. I carefully rebalanced it to make sure the CG is exactly per plan. The flying is not too bad considering its repeated surgery but I still have to land fairly fast if it's not to drop too hard on the deck on flair out. It has to be flown in all the way and if I don't get a bounce or two I'm lucky. If our field wasn't an aircraft carrier strip there would be no problem as I could just grease in anywhere I fancied, but that's not the case so we have to land accurately.

10/08/2016 22:11:36

Thanks everyone, all your comments are very instructive and I take them all on board. It's true the model gets slightly heavier and out of true with each repair but the first prang was also in the circs I've described. As a matter of interest what do others do if a wing drops so close to landing? Or maybe do you just land fast?

10/08/2016 19:10:45

I'm not complaining Peter or criticising the design - just describing my experiences and seeking comments.I think it's legitimate to find out if it's just me. As an aside maybe not many people like to admit they keep crashing a model!

10/08/2016 18:59:26

Very interesting comments. I'm not the best pilot in the club and not the worst but I have enough experience to know what cannot be expected in terms of slowness of approach. My hanger is 6 or 7 models and all I can say is this is the one I'm ha ving problems with. When one is 6 feet of the ground there are not a lot of options but I would appreciate comment. I was taught that you never ever apply down elevator at this stage of landing.

10/08/2016 16:28:31

PS the rocking is in all probability me trying to save the aircraft with overcontrol of a violent wingstall to the left in the first instance.

10/08/2016 16:17:01

Many thanks all for your comments and suggestions. It tip stalled from newly built - rocking violently left and right if the airspeed was insufficient. I am also baffled and had concluded it was just a fast model that wont fly slowly.

My Tx settings, wingbolts and thumb are OK I think. The engine is an ASP32 2 stroke.

After 3 crash repairs and now the fourth yet to be done the model will be heavier than when newly built and also the wing has been repaired twice. I will post an update when I have repaired it again and rechecked against all the suggestions.

10/08/2016 08:50:22

Hi all, no disrespect taken but to explain I've been modelling for over 50 years (oh dear!) and the surfaces and C of G are on the button per the plan. I have noticed particularly that if the engine cuts in flight the tip stalling is particularly violent if the nose is not kept well and truly down. We have a limited strip as to length and width so we have to come in accurately and not at excessive speed if we are not to overshoot. If we had a large mown field the speed wouldn't matter too much. The glide is not good.

10/08/2016 07:13:20

I'm thinking about retiring my Ood after it's 4th crash. I find it very tip stall prone and impossible to fly slowly for landing without it dropping out of the sky. Any suggestions?

Thread: Limbo dancer
17/03/2015 22:47:50

Just completed my SLEC kit and I decided from the start I didn't want a screaming 2 stoke in it. I installed an ASP 61 FS and I'm delighted with it. It balanced perfectly - the CG can be 10 to 15mm further back than the safe spot on the plan. It's not overpowered but it can endlessly loop on1/4 throttle, go vertical out of sight or pootle around beautifully with that superb 4 stroke sound.

Edited By D for Donald on 17/03/2015 22:48:16

15/12/2014 10:40:13

Love the big version Richard and looks expertly built. I've enlarged a Colin Usher plan to build a large version of a model and very satisfying it is too. I would have to put an IC engine in it however - maybe a 120 4 stroke!!

Thread: Galaxy Magician builders
14/12/2014 17:37:41

Very nice Paul. The red detail on the canopy looks good.

13/12/2014 13:49:22

I recommend the Mystic, it's brilliant with a 90 2 stroke - thought it is on the big side for transportation. The price keep creeping upwards however. Hobby Store and Pegasus Models both charge £118 for it now - though curiously Pegasus is a little cheaper if you want a Magician.

Thread: Eastnor Castle 2014 16/17 August
17/08/2014 18:07:48

Yes indeed Masher! I didn't buy 2 gallons for the same reason! So that's 6 so far. Any advance on 6?

17/08/2014 14:40:00

Agreed Ian, well said. I admit it wasn't the Matterhorn but there was no publicity, no advance notice of the access/car park and no warning of the mobility requirement until you had paid and it was too late. We aren't orange badge holders but only after we had paid was I told of the hill down and more importantly the hill back up!!!

I haven't been to any other shows with a hill of the nature. Yes, walks on the flat but not a hill.

Anyway lesson learnt.

17/08/2014 13:09:18

Ian, I agree with much of what you say but I assume you are fit and in the best of health? For those who are older and less fit let's face it the car park location was poor and I heard many moaning about it. Even the parking staff said it was a hike back up and they were youngsters. Carting heavy stuff up and down specially wasn't likely to happen and many people left well before the end.

17/08/2014 11:25:44

Went on Sat. The locations is stunning .............but. The show was just about OK though expensive at £10 per adult for what it is. No concessions for seniors. By no means a sell out and the display flying very good if you like 3D style but monotonous. Dave Bishop's commentary wears after a while as he thinks silence is to fail. Car parking at the top of a hill and a long drag back up the hill on foot. Wont bother again.

21/06/2014 09:57:33

If you want a canopy rather than a screen, I cut one out from a Lidl fresh orange bottle -see my pics earlier.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
CML
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us