By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Etheridge 1

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Etheridge 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
10/11/2019 17:00:53

You boys are not taking this issue seriously, I can see that sorting out Brexit will take less time ! I am not sure why you A-certificate holders do not need to take the CAA test. In future I think you should all take the test and if you were to fail it you should hand your A-certificates back! If you were all to take the test, the administration task could be sorted out in a week and you could all start to daub your Operator ID's on the sides of your planes prior to the election and Christmas!.

Thread: Flair Cub
10/11/2019 12:20:53

I am beginning to feel a lot better about the Cub , and as the sun was shining I thought it time to take a garden picture. Foxy decided to get in shot , she is a regular visitor.

As the glue had dried on the aileron hinges it was necessary to release the torque arms and manipulate the ailerons to improve movement.

p1010118.jpg

p1010112.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 10/11/2019 12:21:46

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
10/11/2019 12:12:23

Thanks for the clarifications Pete and Ron, I pity those club secretaries and other association members who have all the admin to sort out. I would still recommend that those who have not read the CAA on-line guide lines for the identities test should do so to see how easy the test is. If we were all to do the test then the admin levels would be vastly reduced.

10/11/2019 11:19:31

I forgot to highlight that as I see it, it is a legal requirement to obtain your 'Flyer' and 'Operator' identities, and there is the threat of jail if you fly your models and commit some sort of crime without the identities. As it stands as I mentioned before it is a very easy test to obtain the identities, and as far as I am concerned it is just as easy for 'A certificate' holders to pass the test especially as the questions are much the same as those asked within the A-test. So I guess I am the only one at my club that can legally fly at present unless the other members who do hold an 'A-test' can sort themselves out prior to November 30th. It would seem that it is an administration job for the club secretaries and BMFA to obtain the identities of qualified club members and somehow pay the money. Anyone know what is going on at the clubs and BMFA?

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 10/11/2019 11:21:21

10/11/2019 09:52:02

Ken, I have just passed the on-line CAA test as I have yet (if ever) to pass the A test ',so this was the outcome;

Having passed the test you will be given a 'Flyer ID' which lasts for 3 years. You must keep this ID with you when flying. You will also be given an 'Operator ID' which only lasts for 1 year. My operator identity is OP-MYWTV. ??.. and I will have to display this on the planes that I fly. I have purposely not shown the last two letters / digits.At the end of the test and prior to the issue of the identities you will be asked to pay the £9 fee.

I am still wondering how to add the operator identity to my planes in such a way that it can be easily altered every year.

As for the CAA test I read through the on-line notes and answered the questions which were quite easy. Most questions were related to drones and many are similar to 'A-test ' questions. There was the odd tricky question related to 'Aps' on mobile phones which I was not clued up on. 

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 10/11/2019 09:54:28

09/11/2019 16:54:30

Ailerons now re-fixed with Kevlar hinges , a job I tend to hate but it worked out OK with aileron wing gaps reduced. I still need to touch up the remaining nails and minor repairs where I have removed some of the nails.

Having paid my £9.00 to register with the CAA , it seems all our models have to carry /exhibit our operator identities and these identities will change after 12 months. I wonder has anyone thought about this and how we can add this information on all our models with a view to making necessary changes in the future without detriment to the models?

p1010114.jpg

p1010113.jpg

05/11/2019 09:55:46

Just to confirm the hinges were secured with nails rather than pins and some of the nails which had been cut to a length projected right through the trailing edge of the wing causing bulges in the red Solarfilm (or similar ?). I have therefore removed these nails but could not get all the nails out and there is therefore a bit of making good to do. One of the ailerons will fit perfectly back on the wing with Kevlar hinges but not the other. It's a bit of a puzzle as both ailerons and the wing trailing edges are straight.

03/11/2019 12:59:06

Second aileron now removed from wing and left index finger injury repaired with Super Glue following a small screw driver slip!

As I suspected the cockpit top needs a bit of balsa added and a re-shape prior to re-fixing the celluloid cover . The wing will then fair better with the top of the cockpit.

p1010109.jpg

p1010110.jpg

p1010111.jpg

03/11/2019 12:16:38

I have just got the wings out of the loft with a view to correcting the aileron /wing gaps and remove the existing hinges with minimal if any damage to the plane. It only took a minute or two to remove the hinge axles on one side of the wings by prising them out with a small screw driver. I was then able to twist the torque arm to remove the aileron from the wing. I will paint the existing pin /nails with Solarlac to avoid any damage to the wing and aileron, and will re-hinge the latter with Kevlar strips fixed with 5 minute Epoxy glue. Apart from carrying out the same exercise on the other aileron,I need to check how the wing fairs on the fuselage top as a bit of re-shaping of the front of the cockpit might be necessary.

p1010107.jpg

p1010108.jpg

Thread: Your best vacuum cleaner?
01/11/2019 20:03:44

Yes we have a Vorwerk vacuum cleaner sold to us for about £400 when we moved into our current house in 1987. We were told it would last a life time as the motors were brushless and would not wear out. A year or two ago Vorwerk phoned me with an offer of a new cleaner in exchange for the old unit for a reduced price of £900. I reminded the woman on the phone that my life had not expired so I would keep the original cleaner.

To date the power head 'motor's stopped' warning light remains on all the time as does 'the bag's full' warning light, and the cleaner is somewhat noisy if you lift it up whilst it is still running. The combined power of the two motors is somewhat less than most vacuum cleaner's single motors, but I have to say that the cleaner is well made to last as long as it has and the dry carpet cleaner attachment is very useful.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 01/11/2019 20:05:18

Thread: Junior 60 build advice
01/11/2019 10:27:49

As I have mentioned before I have a 57 year old Keil Kraft New Junior 60 that would free flight and had 27 mhz rudder only radio with a rubber powered escapement. Eventually I replaced the radio with 2 channel Sanwa proportional radio and added an RC throttle to the ED Racer diesel motor. The plane always flew well with rubber bands holding the wings and tail in place. Without an elevator it needed about 1/8 inch of balsa under the tailplane for trim so a permanently fixed tailplane would not have worked. recently I have refurbished the plane and added an elevator but to get the C/G right I have replaced the Racer with a heavier OS 20 and added more nose weight but to date the plane has not flown well so further weight is required in the nose.

011.jpg

Thread: Fairey Gannet
30/10/2019 09:23:47

There is a Gannet at the Gatwick Museum not far from Gatwick Airport. You can spot the museum from the air when flying from the airport.

11-10-2009 ; Gannet

11-10-2009 ; Gannet

11-10-2009 ;Gannet

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 30/10/2019 09:26:05

Thread: Rugby World Cup 2019.
29/10/2019 17:07:24

Here are the scans of the program, and even I who never played Rugby recognise some of the names from the past. Twin brother Pete is named as a substitute.

rugby sa.jpg

rugby sa 2.jpg

29/10/2019 10:56:04

It looks like fate may have done you a favour John with the tack scattering female , and she may have dumped you as my wife would have done me, once she discovered you were an aeromodeller ?

I spoke to Pete and his initial response was that we beat the All Blacks a team that is better than the current Springbox side so we should win the final. I asked him to what extent tactics will determine the result and he agreed that tactics have developed over the years as they have with soccer, so lets hope the coach gets it right.He did agree to scan the 1970 Springbox V South West of England program and his invitation to the after match meal, so I might add them on this site so you can identify the rugby stars from the past.

28/10/2019 16:05:48

My twin brother Pete was a Bristol Scrum Half in 1970 and got selected as a reserve for a match between the South West of England and the Springbox. It was a freezing cold match day so he was glad he did not get to play especially as there was an apartheid demonstration which included the scattering of tin tacks on the pitch.I might have a word with him to see what the prospects of winning are at the week end and report on this web site.

16/10/2019 12:40:33

The white covering on the top of the fuselage as I mention before had been put on in the wrong order, it should have gone on last, and it is /was particularly wrinkled. I am not sure what the material is but it took a lot of heat application with a hot air gun to get most of the wrinkles out. My feeling was that if it punctured then I would replace it. It is just about be OK but you can see how the material edges have attracted a dirty residue of oil from the engine. The aircraft's front needs at least a tidy up if not a complete nose job, not a big task.

p1010032.jpg

p1010034.jpg

p1010036.jpg

14/10/2019 16:24:02

The tank from Slec has arrived and also the Futaba servos, so I have all I need to complete the refurbishment. I removed Postman Pat from the cockpit but decided I could not live with the yellow interior. I managed to remove the front canopy celluloid without damaging it , and also managed to remove the glue on the celluloid which reminded me of Evo-Stick contact adhesive now banned. I have re-painted the front of the cockpit with some white Hammerite paint and will give it a second coat prior to re-fixing the celluloid. After that I think I can finish off the fuselage but will need new control horns as one has fractured. Following that I will make a decision on the wings and the ghastly gaps on the ailerons.

p1010026.jpg

p1010030.jpg

07/10/2019 21:24:47

Looks better with the radial engine mounting Paul.

07/10/2019 19:22:43

Thanks Robert , that confirms what others have suggested. It's a shame the SC52 is really unsuitable but I could fit it in my KK Falcon which has a Merco 49 fitted at present. However as a 70th birthday present I was given an OS 61 four stroke so that could also be fitted to the Falcon.

07/10/2019 16:17:28

Having located the plans and instructions it would seem that a 40 size engine is about right for the Cub although it seems smaller engines could be used to give a more scale appearance and performance. So on the strength of that I think my SC 52 is physically too large and too powerful, so it seems to make sense to use the Enya 40 SS. I was also influenced by the responses given, and noted that most have utilised 40 sized 2 stroke engines. As far as the Super 60 is concerned I can try an unused PAW 29 RC for power.

I have ordered a couple of Futaba servos for the Cub and have located a couple of new ones in my spares box. I have also ordered a 6oz round section tank and have a spare 2.4 GHZ receiver, so baring any cosmetic work I could have the plane ready for flying in no time.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us