By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Etheridge 1

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Etheridge 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: solartex alternative
20/08/2019 15:08:12

I have used Oratex on refurbishments of a Junior 60 and Super 60. i would agree it was easier to apply than Solartex.

Super 60

pb030179.jpg

Thread: Covering for a vintage (Dave Platt) SE5A
12/08/2019 16:45:04

I have only used silk once on a control line Peacemaker and although I got a good finish on the silk I found it irritating to use as dope would seep between the silk fibres . Eventually the silk fractured and I replaced it with nylon. As Solatex is no longer available I would use Oratex instead. I have used it to cover a refurbished Junior 60 and had no warping issues on the tailplane which I covered originally with heavy weight tissue to avoid warping. I have also used Oracover on at least four planes so far but this has acted very much the same as Solarfilm but still very usable. I have an SE5A that was built by someone else but is nicely covered with Solartex.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 12/08/2019 16:45:52

Thread: Isle of sheppey flying
11/08/2019 18:53:57

i was also there at Bartons Point on the 4th Nigel. It was the club's scale day which was somewhat mucked up with a gusty wind blowing across the flying strip. That said some of the models flew but not the biplanes including my flair SE5A.

11/08/2019 17:08:31

I am a member of the Bartons Point club ,but have flown on one of the Medway club's fields by invitation to their free flight and single / two channel RC event. They do fly on another site with IC / electric models. I think 'Engine Doctor' is a member of the Medway club and he may well respond to your query?

Thread: Prostate Cancer
30/07/2019 13:25:32

As I mentioned earlier, even though my PSA reading was fine for my age I had a slightly raised blood / sugar level and my GP recommended I attend a pre-diabetic course which commenced last week.Initially I was interviewed by a young GP and she measured my height and weight and around my tummy. Oh dear, these measurements and the calculated BMI index confirmed I am overweight at 11 stone 7 pounds and pre-diabetic, but the biggest shock was that I have lost about 1.5 inches in height.

The recommendations were that I should walk at least for half an hour for four days a week. My diet was not seen as bad, but I / we should eat less large potatoes which contain a lot of starch which can convert to sugars, and instead eat more new potatoes and sweet potatoes which contain less starch. Also avoid or eat less cakes, sauces, sweets and chocolate, and drink 1.5 litres of water per day. White bread and pasta were also not recommended. Not much mention was made of fish and meat, but white meat such as chicken was preferable. We should also eat two fruit items and three vegetable items each day.

It's been pouring with rain here so I am heading off to my garage to do a minor repair on my old Junior 60

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 30/07/2019 13:28:23

Thread: James May's program tonight
24/07/2019 20:18:12

Yes, I think it is channel 107 BBC 4. ---I did see the program in past but it is surely better than my wife's Coronation Street recordings !

24/07/2019 18:38:08

I have just read on Facebook that James May (Toy stories) is hosting a program tonight on channel 4 as follows:

21.00 Hours, 'The appeal of model Aeroplanes'

Thread: Futaba 6EX 35 MHZ not transmitting
23/07/2019 18:38:42

Had a phone call from Mike Ridley this afternoon and he confirmed that with a second hand component he had managed to repair my transmitter. So thanks for the recommendation PV, and once I have the transmitter back it will be interesting to carry out some extensive range checks.

Mike did say that second hand 35 mhz transmitters are demand, and if so are people having problems with 2.4 Ghz gear.?

19/07/2019 17:17:01

I phoned Mike Ridley. and he confirmed that he had looked at my 2006 EXA transmitter and that a repair was unlikely to be achieved. He also confirmed that he was the only person probably country wide who is repairing transmitters so he is very busy and not looking for work !

Thread: Middle Phase AGAIN
19/07/2019 16:44:29

David I have the instructions for the Middle phase 2 that covers both wing versions. If you would like a copy send me a PM with your E-mail address.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 19/07/2019 16:45:12

15/07/2019 20:00:47

Same here I did not realise the topic originated 6 years ago. I have not heard from Mike Ridley since I sent my transmitter to him a few weeks ago, I wonder how he is getting on with it ?

Thread: Wot no Acrowot!
09/07/2019 21:37:34

One of my aero modelling friends from the 1950's / 60's was David Murray who lived near the Crystal Palace football ground . He was an excellent model maker------Not you then David ?

21/06/2019 00:11:04

Had a chat with Mike Ridley who said he had not dealt with a programme corrupted transmitter before but seemed confident he could resolve the problem with my 2006 35 mhz 6EXA unit. We both discussed the fact that i might not use the transmitter again for flying but it could be used for my simulator control ?. He advised me to send only the transmitter without the internal battery so that's what I did today. Repair costs are likely to be £20 plus about £6.00 return postage costs.

Hopefully I have not high jacked Roy's original question , but it would appear he should contact Mike Ridley as was mentioned earlier. Last winter I removed the batteries from three other transmitters to avoid black wire corrosion. All programming was retained.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/06/2019 00:11:55

Thread: Junior 60
17/06/2019 12:46:49

Gary, you appear to have some good responses to your wing tip query, I have just checked mine and photographed it and I seem to have just fared the T E balsa into the 1/4 inch wing tip pieces as shown on the plan, by other contributors.

p6160182.jpg

17/06/2019 09:27:41

My 6EXA 35 mhz transmitter failed as some of the program adjustments such as 'End point adjustment' just disappeared. I wonder if Mike Ridley could resolve that ?

15/06/2019 23:20:30

OK Gary, i will extract the wings tomorrow and check the detail of the wing tip and let you know..

15/06/2019 22:49:01

Met up with some old school friends last week. One had had a prostate removal and looked as fit as a fiddle having exercised regularly including time spent in the gym . My twin brother used to work with his oldest son in IT . However my friend's son got bored with IT and after three attempts got accepted top train as an airline pilot even though he was over 40. He appeared on the TV some months back in a series about training airline pilots , he was filmed doing his first landing. He passed the course and now flies short haul - great, I watched the programs but did not realise it was him !.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 15/06/2019 22:50:46

15/06/2019 22:37:36

Last rib looks a bit thick on the join of the trailing edge sheet balsa lengths and needs trimming slightly. The top sheet needs scoring above the rib to create the trailing edge taper by bending it and gluing it to the lower sheet. I am pretty sure that's what I did in 1962 / 3 with my wings that are in the loft so I cannot check it .However if I was using solid trailing edge I would look to shape it the same.

p7150088.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 15/06/2019 22:40:07

Thread: Junior 60 (Flair)
14/06/2019 21:14:42

Perhaps these pictures of the 1955 New Junior 60 which is the same as the Flair model might help ?

kk junior 60 (1).jpg 001 jr60.jpg

09/06/2019 12:19:21

Thanks OG, presumably the course relates to exercise and diet and physical shape ?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us