By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for brokenenglish

Here is a list of all the postings brokenenglish has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TN Hunter EDF
17/01/2020 20:31:49

Very nice!
Looking forward to a flight report.

Thread: Old Keil Kraft kits
15/01/2020 19:06:09

I've been collecting KK kits for decades!

As Peter mentions, the Me109 kit is relatively recent production and not by the original company, so it isn't worth much.
However, the Gyron kit is rare and would certainly fetch a good price on eBay, if it's complete and in good condition.

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
14/01/2020 18:27:03

Good news (I think!).

I've just installed W10 using exactly the procedure mentioned by kc in the OP.
It worked perfectly first time, for free.
It was a bit long (several hours), but this may be because I'm outside "normal" Internet coverage and I use a 4G USB stick.

If I'd known it was that easy, and free, I would have upgraded long ago. I think I was put off by the many reported troubles in the early days.
Anyway, this thread gave me just the boot in the backplate that I needed.
Thanks everyone!

Edited By brokenenglish on 14/01/2020 18:27:58

12/01/2020 20:17:57
Posted by john stones 1 on 12/01/2020 20:03:40:

A timely thread for me, I have the same issue but no clue what I'm doing, back up files ?

Which are the best idiot guides to steer me through this please, bare in mind the idiot comment ain't wrong where PCs are concerned. crook

Me too!

Thread: Building an electric Super Scorpion
27/12/2019 18:18:12

A few more comments are required.

The OP concerned a BB Super Scorpion kit. The plan on Outerzone isn't the BB plan, it's Ben's plan redrawn and slightly modified by some Eastern European intellectual (Slovakian or Slovenian I think) a few years ago.
In fact, the redrawn plan is excellent technically, but the guy who redrew it saw fit to add a KK Kits logo, thus presenting it as a KK plan, which he probably thought it was.
The Eastern European source submitted this redrawn plan to the SAM US plans library, and I believe Steve (Oz) got the plan through SAM US.
Anyway, the unfortunate end result is that there are now people around, who think that the SS was a KK kit!
There is even another version around on the web, produced by an American, which is simply the 44" KK Scorpion kit plan enlarged by 50%.

IMO, the wing joiners as drawn are perfectly OK for anyone flying the plane as it was meant to be flown.

Finally, this Super Scorpion plan has always made me a bit cross, because someone simply lifted Ben's design and drawing, and presented it as a KK kit plan (no doubt through ignorance), carefully avoiding any reference to Ben!

Edited By brokenenglish on 27/12/2019 18:28:08

27/12/2019 09:23:55

Clearly there never was a KK Super Scorpion. I suppose ED must be referring to the KK Scorpion, but even this was a "rare" kit until BB revived it. It was only produced for a relatively short time, and I've never seen or even heard of a KK original being flown RC. Confusion somewhere.

Thread: Pureists Look Away
20/12/2019 15:12:09

I don't think any "pure IC lads" will be bothered about a Cox Babe Bee...

Thread: Any better ways to store glue ??
05/12/2019 10:19:45

Another way to look at this question would be to reconsider the glues being used.

Personally, I've never even seen Gorilla Glue, but for decades I've used white woodworking glue from the local DIY store. For me, it works perfectly for most of the wooden airframe construction. Then use epoxy for the high stress hardwood areas and very occasionally a drop of cyano where appropriate, and even balsa cement where bonding to dope would be beneficial. Plus specific adhesives such as canopy bonding, etc.

These various types of glue are all kept in the workshop when in use, and in the cellar when they're not in use, and I've never had the slightest storage problem. The cyano needs to be purchased in volumes that won't exceed about one year of use, but the white glue, balsa cement and epoxy can and do last much longer.

In other words, are the adhesives mentioned in the OP worth the various storage inconveniences suffered?

Thread: WW1 linen style covering
30/11/2019 20:36:06
Posted by Maurice Dyer on 30/11/2019 19:48:56:

My two pennies worth. Still using nylon, tissue and dope. Never found anything better.

+1

Thread: Aeromaster
28/11/2019 11:11:12

I prefer Ken Willard's Sporty Forty to all the above.

Thread: WW1 linen style covering
25/11/2019 14:36:38

If you want something that really looks authentic, for either scale or vintage, then it has to be traditional nylon/silk/dope.

The big problem with all industrially produced iron-ons is their uniformity. Not only is your vintage or WWI biplane exactly the same shade as everyone else's. But your own plane covering is totally uniform.

Now if there's one thing that real vintage models and WWI planes didn't have, it's a uniform finish. With dope, the planes have a naturally non-uniform finish, that can be enhanced by all sorts of little dodges (a drop of wood colouring varnish for example), and it's easy to get something that looks really authentic, wrinkles and all...

Thread: Hobby king delivery charges
14/11/2019 10:02:08

I've had perfect service from the HK European warehouse for the last 7 years, and I shall continue using them.
If they have what I need, I buy from them.

Thread: power panel
01/11/2019 16:03:13

One of the many useful things that I've learned from this forum is that engine starters work great on an old lipo from a Wot4 foamie!
That, plus a Cyclon 2V battery and leads, and the excellent handcrank pump from HK, is a real "no problems" system.

Another advantage is that I walk out to the runway with the 2V Cyclon and leads in my pockets (separate pockets!) so, if I stall the engine, I can restart immediately, without humping the plane back to the car...

Edited By brokenenglish on 01/11/2019 16:03:40

Thread: Fairey Gannet
26/10/2019 12:19:14

The 2 engines set up has already been done, almost 60 years ago - see the1960 Aeromodeller Annual.

Page 144 shows a photo of Bruce Randle's Control Line model, using an OS15 and an OS35 - contra-rotating! Only a small photo, but it goes to show there's nothing new. It does look a bit tight in there.
It apparently flew at the Knokke C/L contest.

I remember all this very well. The plan for the model is on Outerzone, here:
**LINK**

Edited By brokenenglish on 26/10/2019 12:19:46

Thread: Rugby World Cup 2019.
26/10/2019 12:06:00

This England performance will encourage, or perhaps even inspire, the Welsh for tomorrow's game.

Thread: Charging LiFePo4 batteries
22/10/2019 19:53:15

Thanks everyone!

Don, Yes I agree. When Nicads were "phased out" in Europe, I purchased a stock of Nicad Rx packs from the USA. Unfortunately, we had serious flooding here in June 2018, and my "stock" spent around 30 hours under water.
So the only packs I have left are those that were actually in planes at the time of the flooding (3 packs).

Playing with old spark ignition engines quickly taught me that Nimh are weak and unreliable in high-risk applications (Rx packs), and Lipos are the way to go. So I carried out some interesting experiments with Lipos for receivers, without any voltage regulator, which basically concluded on the need for LiFe.

22/10/2019 14:10:37
Posted by Romeo Whisky on 22/10/2019 13:20:56:

I think the main point you need answering is simply confirmation that LiFe is the common abbreviation for LiFePo4.

It is.

So your LiFe settings on your charger will be specially designed for LiFePO4 batteries.

Thanks a lot RW!

If no-one disagrees with you, then you're certainly right in saying that I needed that clarification and it is a total answer to my question.

Thanks to all who answered. I need to get this clear as I have to replace my old IC plane Rx packs. I'm still on Nicads!

Just one point. One does sometimes see other "types" of LiFe. I'm sure I've seen LiFeA123 or something like that.
Is that detail important or not?

Edited By brokenenglish on 22/10/2019 14:11:48

22/10/2019 10:44:52

I have a very simple question for our battery experts.

Both my (excellent) chargers have a LiFe charge/balance function.

The HK web site states that LiFePo4 batteries need a specific LiFePo4 charger.

Can my LiFe charger be used to charge LiFePo4 or not?

As I'm never exactly at the cutting edge of technology, others must have already answered this problem...

Thread: Wheel size
21/10/2019 15:47:33

Surely it must be shown on the plan.

The American "Model Builder" plan for the Red Zephyr specifies 3.5" airwheels.
Anything around 3.5 to 4" will be OK.

Edited By brokenenglish on 21/10/2019 15:50:53

Thread: Rubber power problem
17/10/2019 12:15:44

Both the Ace and Senator plans clearly tell you to leave an open bay in the covering, immediately behind the rear motor peg, to allow easy access and loading of the motor, etc.

On competition models, it's possible to load the motor without the rear access, but you need to make up a special "tool" (a long dowel with a specific type of "fork" on the end), and this obviously isn't worth the trouble on beginners' type models.

My own suggestion would be to avoid "fancy tricks" and do it the way it's shown on the plan.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us