By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for brokenenglish

Here is a list of all the postings brokenenglish has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What is the minimum slope for a slope soarer?...
18/08/2019 08:08:59
Posted by Foxfan on 17/08/2019 22:20:36:

I have seen youtubes of dune soaring quite successfully.

PatMc, my son lives up that way and it was being up there that made me think of slope soaring.

Cheers,

Martin

Yes, but Pat's post reflects the fact that, in our part of the world, you get onshore winds more often on a "west coast" than on an "east coast".

Plus the fact that, IMO, successful dune soaring depends on identifying "special" spots that give "special" conditions, with a prevailing wind that is frequently "just right".

Thread: Restoring an old Flair Junior 60, Help and Advice needed
16/08/2019 17:27:07

I think you'll need more rudder than that.

Ben Buckle used to say "very little elevator, but as much rudder as you can get".

Personally, I agree with that (after half a dozen J60s), especially with the precise control systems that we now have.

The most important thing is to realise that it's an ultra-stable, slow flying plane and that, providing you have "enough" control movement, the precise amount is very non-critical. I never ever actually measured the deflections on mine, and they all flew great.

So just be confident. Ben also used to say "I must have seen hundreds of J60s, and I've never seen one that didn't fly...".

Finally, like I said, and without being precise, all mine have been set up with about 45° each way on the rudder and about 20° up and down on the elevator (just eyeballing). In any case, everything happens very gently!

Edited By brokenenglish on 16/08/2019 17:30:45

Thread: Skyleada Models
12/08/2019 14:27:33

You seem to be a victim of automatic spelling "corrections"...

Thread: What have I got here ?????
06/08/2019 21:39:16

A point I forgot to mention. Note that you have a fuel cut-out, intended to be timer operated, on the tank.
The little knob towards the rear of the tank is actually a plunger. It can be pulled upwards against an internal spring, and the piece of bent piano wire clicks into a recess on the pin (that goes down through the tank, to the fuel outlet pipe). When the piano wire lever is pulled back by a timer, the plunger is released and blocks the fuel feed orifice in the bottom of the tank. This system is again a dead copy of the Micron.
Not very well explained, but just mess around with it, the operation is obvious!

A couple of relevant photos. Note that these things can be flown!

owat 5 cc fixed compression mk i (exhaust side).jpgmicron 022.jpg

06/08/2019 21:09:45

Harry, here's an Owat running on the bench. Video shot by my wife, without my noticing!

There are two types of Owat, a Mk I and a Mk II. The one shown in my video is a Mk I, but yours is a Mk II. They're identifiable by the prop driver. On the Mk I, the prop driver is "flat", and has a square hole that keys onto a square section on the crankshaft (i.e. a dead copy of the Micron). The Mk II prop driver is thicker. It simply has a taper that fits a taper on the crankshaft and depends on being tightened to lock in position. This system isn't as good as the Mk I, but I suppose it must have been cheaper to produce.
Also many of the Mk I engines had a red painted crankcase and tank, like mine. I think there were a few green ones as well. I've never seen a painted Mk II and yours looks to be exactly the way it should be. 

If you like a challenge, it'll be good fun to run on the bench!

Edited By brokenenglish on 06/08/2019 21:22:47

Thread: Playboy Senior
06/08/2019 08:30:24
Duplicate post. Sorry!

Edited By brokenenglish on 06/08/2019 08:32:10

06/08/2019 08:28:41
Posted by paul d on 05/08/2019 17:45:37:

That's the trouble when converting vintage models to modern electrics, it was originally designed for a heavy old sparky.

First thing I would do is replace those rather small wheels with some big fat airwheels.

I presume the battery etc are as far forward as possible?

Try giving it a test glide, you'll be surprised how tolerant those old timers are to the cg position

This is very misleading. The old sparkers normally used are very light, far lighter than modern engines. Browns and Ohlssons weigh less than a modern engine of half their capacity. OK, the light weight of the old ignition engines is partially offset by the weight of the ignition system, but the engine + ignition system will still be lighter than a modern four-stroke.

The problem is more due to "modern" builders not realising that this type of model has to be built very light aft of the wing, and particularly at the tail end, obviously. Modern coverings don't help either... Then the problem is aggravated by the use of electric power, where the main motive power weight (the battery) isn't in the nose, but further back, at least behind the fire wall, and this is very significant in the case of a short-nose model.

My advice would be to get everything as far forward as possible. Then add whatever ballast is needed to get a CG at around 50%, and fly it like that. It should be fine.

Thread: Svenson 1/6 Scale Storch
05/08/2019 14:22:22

Here's the plan:

**LINK**

Thread: ETA 29
01/08/2019 21:09:25

OK, I was just looking at the crankcase and front housing, plus the s/n of course. It's obviously not possible to "identify" the internals!

Also, an original Mk V case doesn't look anything like that. It's very like the Mk VI, with a large V-shape transfer port.

However, I still think an engine should be identified by its main original components, and not by various mods that may have been incorporated!

Issue closed. They're all super engines!

01/08/2019 09:09:56

Pat, respectfully (as always!), the Eta 29 shown in your photos is a Mk III, with a later Mk prop nut on it.

31/07/2019 11:40:10

Paul, my Google must work better than yours. I found a couple of references.
Try this link, scroll down and you'll find info and photos:

**LINK**

31/07/2019 08:47:43

Not many people, especially collectors, realise that Ken Bedford's Eta actually pre-dated American racing glow 29s.
It preceded the Dooling by one year and was concurrent with the first McCoy 29s, which were really just a glow continuation of the spark ignition McCoys.

Peter, do you still have your ST G21/29?
If not, here's an early one (late fifties).
I understand why you might prefer the ST. This one is very powerful and quite gentle to operate, but there's just something about the Eta that makes it irresistible for me.

super tigre 015.jpg

Edited By brokenenglish on 31/07/2019 08:51:10

31/07/2019 07:56:31

Paul, a quick check would simply be the Eta serial number. This will immediately identify an original in relation to any copy, which probably won't have a s/n.

Edited By brokenenglish on 31/07/2019 07:56:59

30/07/2019 09:30:08

and finally the last model made:

eta .012.jpg

30/07/2019 09:29:03

and a "mid-production" example:

eta .29 mk iii.jpg

Edited By brokenenglish on 30/07/2019 09:31:22

30/07/2019 09:24:58

For the youngsters, who don't know what an Eta 29 is, and for the more senior gentlemen, many of whom regard the engine with great affection, here are three "significant" examples. Here's the first Eta 29

eta 29 mk i.jpg:

Edited By brokenenglish on 30/07/2019 09:27:46

Edited By brokenenglish on 30/07/2019 09:30:37

30/07/2019 06:26:42

Yes, there was at least one Russian copy. Google "Russian Eta 29" and you'll get some answers.

Edited By brokenenglish on 30/07/2019 06:37:11

Thread: Mill 75 electric set up
27/07/2019 19:08:09

Respectfully, if you're unsure of yourself to that extent, you'd be better choosing one of Vic Smeeds designs...
Typically a Tomboy.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
26/07/2019 18:11:24
Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 26/07/2019 17:11:22:

Colin

Try putting the nose of the model on the kitchen scales.....switch them on and they will zero with the weight of the model on them....then give it WOT with just lateraily supporting the model

Won't "nose on scales" affect the entry of air? Maybe you'd need standoffs between the scales and the nose.

Thread: Planespotting Live
24/07/2019 19:51:27
Posted by John Privett on 24/07/2019 19:16:31:
I will confess to have once been 'in a field near Heathrow', but on only one occasion - to capture on video the 3 last ever Concorde passenger flights returning to LHR - I feel that was justified!

I'd rather be in a field near Old Warden or Duxford.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us