By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Caveman

Here is a list of all the postings Caveman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New FPV microcam/FPV cam 31 gms, water resistant
14/01/2020 08:28:19

Dave, Winff is a free video converter which will convert just about any videos format. It is a GUI for FFMPEG a command line interpreter that can do just about anything video related.

No adverts, watermarks or similar and is free. Only for Windows and Linux as far as I am aware.

Cheers GDB

Thread: Which engine ?
12/01/2020 09:09:31

Morning Dave, just weighed my Super Cub and it comes out at 4030g or 8lb 14oz. ready to fly but with no fuel.

Cheers GDB

11/01/2020 20:39:54

Hi Dave, I'm not sure what it weighs, but if you can wait until tomorrow I'll put it in the scales and report back!

GDB

11/01/2020 19:32:53

I fitted my Super Cub, 80.5" wingspan with the recommended 91fs and it was ridiculously overpowered.

img_6797.jpg

Now powered with an ASP 61fs and it's just right. It flies in a scale manner on half throttle or less, but with a bit of extra power when needed.

Cheers GDB

PS The undercarriage is not the right one and has also been replaced with something more appropriate!

Thread: Hobby Porter
03/01/2020 16:07:26

Look forward to hearing how you get on with it when it arrives.

Do let us know. GDB

03/01/2020 15:40:30

Hi Gonzo, I have no experience of this receiver, but having read your post, I downloaded the manual from the Hobby Porter website.

The manual is written in the usual Chinglish, which makes it a little hard to understand at times, but I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to sort out if you had the receiver to hand.

For the cost, about £30, delivered (what about customs duty?) at the very worst it's an 8 channel D Series receiver.

The only worrying part is that the only realistic way to test it is to set the parameters and fly it and finger crossed you've correctly understood the manual!

Might just be tempted to experiment with it when I've got my current build completed.

Cheers GDB

Thread: Getting my head around electric motors ??
27/11/2019 23:06:48

Just for general interest my Nova, it's 66" wingspan incidentally, weighs 5lb 13oz without fuel, so around 6lb ready to fly.

GDB

27/11/2019 13:34:21

Hi Christopher, I have a Nova 40 - it was my first RC model.

A couple of photos to show what it looked like brand new, and its current appearance after a refurb following an argument with a field of maize!!

Ripmax Nova

Nova refurbished

In the original it was powered by an Irvine 46 and now by an ASP 46, both two strokes offering about 750 Watts of power.

Alan Gorman is quite right when he warns against a motor that needs too large a prop as ground clearance is definitely an issue, especially if your grass is a little long.

Mine is currently flying on a 10x6 three bladed prop which gives good performance and adequate ground clearance.

Hope that helps.

GDB

Thread: Any one got a Clancy Speedy Bee?
25/11/2019 07:28:51

Hi Martin, the plan is freely available here Speedy Bee

It shows the cog clearly.

Cheers GDB

Thread: X9D+ 2019 or Q X7S?
14/08/2019 20:08:23

Hi Kim,

Yes the Q7 comes with OpenTx.

The manual, written by Alex Datos is available here Q7 Manual

Don't know how it compares with the printed one from T9 but it's a good start.

Cheers GDB

Thread: Hi there
03/07/2019 07:42:45

Hi Anthony, welcome back to the fold !

If you have a look at the last item on this page **LINK** you will see that BMFA membership is reduced from 1st July, so you can join, and benefit from the associated insurance, without paying the full annual membership.

The BMFA club finder will help you find a flying club near you.

Hope you're successful.

GDB

Aha, beaten to it !!

Edited By Caveman on 03/07/2019 07:43:25

Thread: Spinners for brushless.
22/06/2019 23:05:14

Here you go **LINK**

GDB

PS While you're buying you should buy a few extra O rings smiley

22/06/2019 21:41:17

Foxfan, if your shaft is 3mm then you really need a 3mm prop adaptor. A 3.2mm / 3.17mm / 1/8" one will not seat correctly on a 3mm shaft.

A 3mm adaptor is available here **LINK**

A spinner can then be mounted as per an IC engine.

GDB

Thread: Handy bit of kit
07/06/2019 22:01:07

Interesting reading here **LINK**

Might explain why they're offloading them for £1

GDB

Thread: source for Hobby Eagle stabilisers
27/04/2019 23:01:49

Tony, what you have appears to be a 'New A3'

The manual is available here **LINK**

See the 5th and 6th items down, NewA3 and NewA3L

The difference between the two is the flight modes they provide, but they both like exactly like yours. Presumably you know which functions your is supposed to have (?).

Hope that helps.

Cheers GDB

Thread: Identification please!
27/02/2019 19:47:37

Jeff, very similar I grant you, but, it doesn't have the square (rectangular) horizontal stab of 'ours' and it's 2" short in wingspan!!

In the meantime I'm awaiting Robin's photos with bated breath smiley

Many thanks for your contribution and interest.

It looks like there are many, many models all of a similar theme, not surprising really as it's a classic trainer style.

Cheers GDB

26/02/2019 23:46:10

Hi Robin, thanks for your response.

Is it possible for you to post a photo of your plane? It would be interesting to see it.

GDB

25/02/2019 20:55:13

Many thanks for all your contributions. laugh

This is the illustration which suggests that it might be a Kyosho model **LINK**

Mike, your unknown model is very similar to 'ours', but, as Percy points out yours has a swept back leading edge whereas ours is square, and the wing seat on yours is raised - ours isn't. The fin on yours is very much the same, but yours has a strake.

The wings (54" span on ours) appear to be identical. Incidentally, if the fuselage is inverted the wings fit perfectly, further suggesting it could be built as a low wing model. Perhaps this explains the mid mounted tail.

Martin, I suspect this is a kit build, the formers look to be machine made (the firewall has F6 written on it, not printed).

The covering, although reasonably applied, is not to the standard we would associate with an ARTF model, and the fitting out certainly isn't!

The current CoG is 25% of chord, so we'll leave it at that and see how it goes wink 2

Cheers GDB

24/02/2019 20:32:02

Can any of you highly knowledgeable chaps identify this model? It has 'Kyosho' stickers on it, and 'Hughes 500' sticker. but I don't know if these are really relevant.

I've looked on-line and it could be something like a Kyosho Berballa (which was a kit which could be made either as a high-wing or low-wing plane), but, the vertical stab is wrong.

It was bought for a member of our club by his daughter.

It was in a poor state of repair and I have spent a bit of time refurbishing it.

Please don't panic about the wing bands (!), I used rubber bands purely to set the wing and I haven't acquired any proper wing bands yet.

It's powered by an OS FP40 which is well-used but runs quite well.

kyosho_1.jpg

kyosho_2.jpg

We look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks GDB

Thread: OS 25 FSR- Equivalent
13/01/2019 19:20:34

Tosh, how about this:

FAAAOSwXnxcOy3x:rk:8f:0&LH_Auction=1">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OS-25-FX-2-stroke-R-C-Model-Aircraft-Glow-Engine/123593047892?hash=item1cc6b83f54:gFAAAOSwXnxcOy3x:rk:8f:0&LH_Auction=1

also, Airtek Hobbies have an SC25A in stock (?)

**LINK**

or a 36 if you want a bit more grunt

**LINK**

GDB

Edited By Caveman on 13/01/2019 19:21:20

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us