By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Caveman

Here is a list of all the postings Caveman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spitfire rework
23/10/2020 23:47:49

Bobby, for covering film look at Rapid RC

Rapid rc

Their 'own' covering film is the one that HobbyKing sell, but RapidRC sell it by the metre which is better than 5 metres!

GDB

Thread: Plane but which ?
21/10/2020 22:54:23

Andy, the photo below is my 'Son of Soar' with an upright OS FS52.

The silencer points slightly upwards and does a good job of keeping a lot of the mess off the plane. I could have fitted the engine sideways but the right-hand side cheek would have to be hacked and I didn't want to change the appearance of the model.

Son of Soar

GDB

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
02/10/2020 19:47:47

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not, but just for Fly Boy 3, here's a video of the maiden flight of my latest build.

I happened to have a couple of OS FP10s doing nothing so built a twin plane to accommodate them. It doesn't end well, but it's now fully repaired and I will try again!

Tweeling - the twin

Cheers GDB

Thread: Inadvertantly Overdischarged Lipo
27/09/2020 12:26:09

Tosh, I think you should clarify whether your 11/2volts means:

11 1/2 i.e. 11.5volts

or

1 1/2 i.e. 1.5volts

It makes a massive difference!!

GDB

Thread: Ebay sellers...
25/09/2020 22:03:20

Just been browsing the engines for sale on Ebay and came across this SC32

It's entered in the category 'New other' , yet it's clearly been well abused. It's generally dirty and the carb housing is cracked on both sides!!

I can't find any way to report this to Ebay as a misleading description surprise

Just shows how some sellers abuse the system, and has 100% positive feedback!

GDB

Thread: Vintage model ID please
20/09/2020 22:15:49

Looks like it could be an Eros.

Plane here Eros

GDB

15/09/2020 21:15:13

Maidened my Vultee Vanguard today.

dsc03075_r.jpg

The maiden went well, and, unbeknown to me, one of our members videod the flight and produced a small video of the event.

Vultee Vanguard maiden

Unfortunately the next landing was very clumsy resulting in bent pins in the retracts and a dislodged vertical fin, all easily rectified (I hope) and she'll fly again soon!

GDB

Thread: Please Help With Removing and Re Fitting Valve Collets
03/09/2020 21:14:40

This YouTube video shows the rebuild of an OS 52 four stroke. Building the valve into the head is shown from 5:45

Valve rebuild

He makes it look very easy and quite simple!!

GDB

Thread: Sticky casing on Watt meter
23/08/2020 15:18:27

I've used white spirit successfully and as Capt Kremen says it reveals nice smooth hard surface.

Also, used Betterwear Sticky Stuff Remover, with good results.

GDB

Thread: Irvine 46 piston/cylinder damage
20/08/2020 10:08:13

Yes, it's shame that the Just Engines price is so high as I would have wanted to support them, having bought from them in the past.

But, at £49 more from JE than elsewhere it doesn't make sense.

GDB

20/08/2020 09:07:19

Many thanks for all your very prompt replies, particularly Richard for pointing me in the right direction.

As a result new parts ordered and the 46 will be restored to full health shortly!

Geoff thanks for your very kind offer, if I hadn't already ordered the parts I need I would have taken you up on your offer. However, perhaps someone else reading this will be in need and your 'remains' could benefit them?

Thanks again GDB

19/08/2020 22:20:13

Ye Gods! Just been on the Just Engines website. The piston+cylinder £73 !!! Rear bearing £16.75.

Plenty of engines on Ebay for less than that.

Methinks this one is going to be lost into a draw marked 'memorabilia' to gather dust for eternity crying 2

Shame really 'cos it was a great engine.

GDB

Edited By Caveman on 19/08/2020 22:25:58

19/08/2020 22:13:18

I have been testing my NiHm receiver batteries as per another thread by Keith Miles and had my Nova 40 on the bench while charging the battery.

While watching the mAs stack up I idly rotated the propeller (as you do!) of the Irvine 46 Mk.IV, and it felt decidedly wrong. It felt very 'gritty' - definitely not right.

So I immediately dismantled the engine and found the following.

irvine 46 cylinder.jpg

The cylinder, which look like the chrome lining has failed - this reminds me of similar posts I have read about OS FX engine which have suffered similarly.

irvine 46 piston.jpg

The piston has corresponding damage.

As the Mk. IV engine was made by OS as I right in thinking this is the same problem?

Whatever the cause it looks like a replacement piston & liner. The question then is whether the cost is worth it?

If I do refurbish it a replacement rear bearing is also needed.

GDB

Thread: Electro mechanical retracts control board
12/08/2020 18:37:08

The problem, as I see it, with the simple diagram, is if the u/c leg gets caught during retraction or deployment won't the motor try to keep driving it leading to increased current flow, heat and battery depletion?

I understand that the modern commercial, and probably Arduino, drivers look out for high current draw and stop the retract if this occurs. This seems like a better solution to me, or am I wrong?

GDB

Thread: Help please with Thunder Tiger GP42
12/08/2020 13:38:02

Mike T, scroll further down and you'll find the carbs exploded. The GP42 carb is on page 24

GDB

11/08/2020 15:28:35

There's a pdf here showing all the Thunder Tiger engines, including parts lists, exploded diagrams for engines, carbs etc.

Even if the parts are no longer available the exploded diagram show what should be there!

GDB

Thread: Returning after a 20 year absence!
11/08/2020 13:17:40

Rogeo, I've just sent you a PM

GDB

11/08/2020 13:15:11

The parachutist plan and article are freely available on Outerzone here parachutist

I have to say I'm quite taken by this and am considering having a go, but first I've got work out how to get him aloft as I don't fancy building yet another plane purely for parachute dropping.

Perhaps a scaled down version may be easier to accommodate?

GDB

Thread: Returning after a 20 year absence!
15/07/2020 13:34:17

Rogeo, did you see my message on 13th July on your simulator thread ref the cable for your computer?

GDB

Thread: Simulator for sanwa vanguard 35mhz
13/07/2020 19:37:28

Hi Rogeo, this is, I think, the correct one, just a tad over 1/2" diameter.

din plug.jpg

If it is then let me know. I have no need of this adaptor and if you haven't already sorted one I can post it to you.

Cheers GDB

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!