By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Test your memories ... electric foamie from mid 1960's ...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
avtur22/09/2014 11:44:37
883 forum posts
20 photos

The recent thread titled 'what did you learn on?' got me thinking about models I built in the early days.

I recall my Dad coming home one day with a very unusual (by the standards of the day) model, I'm wondering if anyone else recalls this model.

It was a free flight model, the flying surfaces were polystyrene foam, in the order of 24 inch span, the fuselage was pod and boom, a wooden dowel boom with a polystyrene pod up from for the motor and battery. It had a mono wheel undercarriage. The motor was a very small 'mabuchi' type direct driving a plastic prop. And then a really unusual feature, if all this wasn't enough, was that the battery was a small 'plastic' pouch which you activated by adding water - possibly salt water.

As I say this would have been mid, possibly late '60s' if my grey matter can be relied on ... I haven't suffered any recent blows to the head, and I haven't made it up ... does this ring any bells with anyone??

Cuban822/09/2014 12:11:09
3097 forum posts
1 photos

No, you're not imagining things it really did exist. Free flight IIRC but the problem was the cost of the one-shot batteries that were very expensive and didn't run the motor for very long. Saw an advert for the model in an old magazine recently.

Cuban822/09/2014 12:20:18
3097 forum posts
1 photos

Can't find the Ripmax model, but came across this from 1963

**LINK**

Go to page 5.

Bob Cotsford22/09/2014 12:46:45
8840 forum posts
496 photos

I had one of those! The abiding memory is the smell of the supplied adhesive. So it was a Sanwa Electra was it? Certainly it looks like the one I had.

avtur22/09/2014 13:14:45
883 forum posts
20 photos

Thanks Cuban 8,

The Sanwa 'Electra' is what it was ... isn't it strange to see that concept (small, foam, electric) so many years ago and look at how things have developed today.

Mine did make just a handful of successful flights, the expense of the batteries rings a bell and probably limited its long term use.

Thinking about it, my avatar picture is the E-Flite UMX Radian, which is the ultimate development of the 'Electra' with micro RC gear added to the mix. 

Edited By avtur on 22/09/2014 13:21:07

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!