Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Merco Engines

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
maurice northcott19/03/2019 18:08:01
88 forum posts
63 photos

So sorry to read of Bill's passing. Although I never knew Bill, I did benefit from him and his work because, like many others, I had a number of Merco engines in the past. RIP Bill, enjoy that big Flying Field and Thank You.

Jonathan W19/03/2019 21:00:55
84 forum posts
11 photos

Sad to hear of Bill's passing, though he appears to have had a fine innings which many would envy. Another chapter of model engineering now in the history books.

People sometimes disparage Merco engines, but they were leaders when they first appeared and something for Bill to be proud of. As often seems to be the way with British innovations, they did not ultimately keep pace with development enough compared to the Japanese and German offerings. The 61 in particular will still pull an appropriate model around the sky with decent vigour though.

Stuphedd19/03/2019 22:06:38
637 forum posts
338 photos

I believe when Gerald Smith became "old " his friend John Scott Scott of Skylon fame helped Gerald finish off his final batch of engines ,

John was a fine engineer and had a workshop to be envied . Now he did convert many Mercos as well as many other makes to petrol, and worked with ED in the early days .May be one of his ????

cheers

Peter Christy20/03/2019 09:14:26
1434 forum posts

Sorry to hear of the passing of another of the "old guard". Not many left now.

I had a Merco 35 back in the late 60s. It was a good engine, unlike the .49 that I bought a year or two later, which was a disaster! Ran fine on the ground, but would die without warning in the air - usually on take-off. Model went into the hedge many times as a result before I got shot of it. None of the local experts managed to sort it.

Bought Webra 61 as a replacement (late 67 or early 68), and it flew just fine in the same model, with the same plumbing!

Its still flying my classic aerobatic model today!

--

Pete

Engine Doctor20/03/2019 10:25:09
2223 forum posts
21 photos
Posted by Peter Christy on 20/03/2019 09:14:26:

unlike the .49 that I bought a year or two later, which was a disaster! Ran fine on the ground, but would die without warning in the air - usually on take-off. Model went into the hedge many times as a result before I got shot of it. None of the local experts managed to sort it.

Pete

I had a Merco 61 that did the same thing . I cost me a nice model Spitfire . I tried everything with that engine to no avail . I decided it was just scared of hieghtssmiley . I converted it to a water cooled engine as they are excellent boat engines .

John Pace24/06/2019 08:59:37
2 forum posts
2 photos

For those of you who may be interested 2 Merco 61 engines are for sale on the model engineer website ,no price advertised ,these are not from me.

John

Foxfan24/06/2019 11:33:31
573 forum posts
4 photos

I bought 2 Merco 61s on a charity stand at a dog show for a tenner the pair. Took 'em apart and there appears to be nothing wrong with them. I was always jealous of Merco owners as a kid.

Martin

SIMON CRAGG24/06/2019 11:46:18
360 forum posts
5 photos

Hundreds if not thousands were sold (.61 size) to the Army, and fitted in models that were used as targets. Whist serviing BAOR, I used to book the team that used to fly them, and scrounge as many bits of them as I could. (11 x 7 blue props, skyleader gear, plugs etc. etc.). In the event of them being shot down, I had to sign them written off. More searching in the woods until the bits were found. Never had so many Mercos in my life!.

FlyinBrian25/06/2019 11:11:21
512 forum posts

I have to say my experience of Merco engines was mixed, I had a 35 RC which was great and a twin plug .61 that was rubbish. I was so pleased when HP engines appeared.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us