Having a really sad day!

Daughter off to Australia

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stevo11/10/2014 11:10:35
2699 forum posts
419 photos

Hi All,

Notwithstanding having our moggie put down three weeks ago, we dropped our daughter off to Heathrow last night. She's 22 and off to Oz, backpacking for a year. At this time (SAT, 12/10, 11:10) she's over Sri Lanka.

She went on her own, but subscribed to a good deal where she is looked after. She's a nervous flyer, and had to be given oxygen on the LHR-DXB stretch.

SWMBO (her step mum) keeps crying, I keep staring at my laptop looking at FlightRadar, and her Brother (19) broke down in tears.

So, not having a great day. I'm proud of what she's done but will miss her quite a bit. Someone cheer me up, please?

Edited By Stevo on 11/10/2014 11:11:25

Prop Nut11/10/2014 11:16:13
336 forum posts
1 photos

Wish I could Stevo but, although my kids are somewhat older than yours, I can only remind you that they are a life sentence and you never stop worrying about them. Then you get grand-children and you worry about them too! The one gleam of light is that if you've done your job properly, they will be equipped to find their own way in life and make their own decisions - right or wrong.

IanN11/10/2014 11:28:37
1675 forum posts
119 photos

Steve, our daughter did exactly the same, departed for Oz in mid April immediately her 3rd year uni work was finished and her last assignment had been handed in. Her master plan is to work for a year or more, and then combine that with some southern hemisphere travelling. It's all going great for her so far, I'm sure yours will be the same

I was glued to FlightRadar too. Although it's probably completely illogical just looking at an icon on a screen, it's quite amazing how much comfort you get from "seeing" where they actually are at any given point

She's doing well, loving it to bits, and we know we definitely won't see her this Christmas and quite probably the one after that aswell, and finances certainly don't allow us to just hop over there and visit. Skype is your best friend wink

Stevo11/10/2014 11:36:09
2699 forum posts
419 photos

Thanks guys. I know it's illogical too!

To add to the woe, the flight vanished from FlightRadar. Completely. Help!

went to flightaware.com... and its on there surprise Phew. The Android and windows versions of FlightRadar vary greatly, the flight numbers are different on each!

I'm sure it will be great for her, and I'm so proud. I think I'm hitting the grieving stage right now... And yes Ian Skype has been set up and endlessly tested...! She lands in around 9Hrs and again, I'll stare at the laptop!

IanN11/10/2014 11:41:35
1675 forum posts
119 photos
Posted by Stevo on 11/10/2014 11:36:09:

Get ready for that to happen again over parts of central Australia - it soon comes back though

ken anderson.11/10/2014 12:26:42
8790 forum posts
814 photos

hello stevo-I have two(twin)daughter's...in their 30's..now both married with children of their own..and I'm still like an old hen-wanting to protect them/worrying about them.....its a normal thing...which we cant do anything about---- built in to us....

ken Anderson...ne...1 protective dad's...worrying... dept.

KingKade11/10/2014 12:40:48
512 forum posts
22 photos

Stevo, do rember that she is going to have a fantastic time out there, a segmant of her life that she will remember and talk about for many years to come. She wont stop thinking of you guys back home though!!

I was there myself at one point. But i didnt have skype and facetime back then.....

K

Dai Fledermaus11/10/2014 12:49:24
1069 forum posts
55 photos

O.K. This might raise a smile:-

A chap was emigrating to Australia and was asked on arrival at the airport immigration department if he had any criminal convictions. He replied `I didn't think it was conditional these days`.

John Privett11/10/2014 13:41:32
6106 forum posts
243 photos
Posted by Stevo on 11/10/2014 11:36:09:

Thanks guys. I know it's illogical too!

Don't forget, flightradar24 is mostly (maybe completely?) dependant on people like me all over the world who have ADS-B receivers and feed data back to flightradar24. So there are holes in the coverage they provide, mainly over the oceans and less-populated parts of the world.

Kids going travelling - yep, been there, got the t-shirt! We were introduced to it gradually as both my daughters went on World Challenge expeditions for 4 weeks with school groups when they were around 16/17. Eldest then did a bit of travelling, some as part of a group, some with her boyfriend and some on her own after graduating. She's now working and flies to Edinburgh every Monday morning, returning on Friday afternoons - but has now moved out to a flat in London, so we don't even see her at weekends now. All part of the cycle of life I guess! Her younger sister is away at university for half the year - no doubt there'll be some travelling to be done at the end of that - in addition to university field trips abroad, and maybe a year overseas as part of the course...

fly-navy11/10/2014 14:12:18
424 forum posts
11 photos

Can't ease your worries Steve afraid it's what kids do these days.

Kids are pretty resillient these days and when the flight is over she will undoubtably have the time of her life and come back and share all her wonderful memories with her family and with a beautiful tan. It's a lifetimes experience for her, it's hard to ley them go I know and you are just a normal parent worrying and fretting until the first contact is made.

Now don't go expecting messages etc every five minutes kids don't think like that frown

Old Geezer11/10/2014 14:13:26
670 forum posts

We're all the same! Our boys are now in their 40s, yet when they visit we always ask them to send us a text when they are back home safe.

Yet we never know where the elder boy is - until his latest job change he was flying all over the world but he never told us when / where he was going next, the most we could hope for was a posting on FaceBook. At least now he's only doing hundreds of miles a week all over the UK! Same story with Number Two, only found he was at the Munich beer festival a couple of weeks ago when we saw a FaceBook posting when he was in transit back to Stanstead.

At least we all know now how our parents felt whenever we were late back home from a night out!

Steve Jones 211/10/2014 15:04:00
611 forum posts
477 photos

Steve,

having an I dependant daughter who wants to do what she is doing is a credit to both you and your wife. Yes everything in life is a risk but if children are to be prepared and able to handle life they too have to have risks. Be proud and if you don't here for a while it will be because she is growing stronger

She has only one mum and dad and she won't ever forget it and be grateful what she has been given so far

She will be fine.......

Steve

kc11/10/2014 15:45:27
6769 forum posts
174 photos

Stevo, I really think the best thing I can suggest is that you go out flying and then back into the workshop to get on with some new model.........

Stevo11/10/2014 15:48:29
2699 forum posts
419 photos

Or get on with an old model (Be2c...)

Mowerman11/10/2014 16:01:43
1565 forum posts
105 photos

Just think Stevo in a few years time it will all start again when your Grand children do the same thing.

Eamonn Fahey11/10/2014 16:16:05
529 forum posts
58 photos

Stevo, our only daughter did the gap year/round trhe world trip and we all survived. SWMBO & I joined facebook so we could follow her adventures and see her photos. Don't try and Skype her too much or you will get, as we did, that she "wants to stand on her own two feet". frown The year will go so fast and she will be home before you realise. AND, she brought me home a Hawaiian shirt and a ukulele. I bet Pete Lowe is jealous. smiley

Eamonn.

Dave Bran11/10/2014 17:49:00
1896 forum posts
5 photos

C'mon, pay attention, you seem to have lost the plot.........the main aim in life is to be a worry to your children.

You lot don't seem to be doing that well so far, so wise up and listen in.........

You need to take up a dangerous sport such as skydiving, hint about base jumping.

Buy an old Skyline GTR or any muscle car with more than 300bhp.

Buy a Harley Davidson chopper and start attending rat runs.

Owning a few dangerous pets works well, too, black widow spiders, you know the form........

Go swimming with sharks...........

Buy an old ex-army lorry and drop hints about crossing the Sahara.

Show these young whipper snappers what it is like to be a concerned parent...............

Codename-John11/10/2014 17:53:23
1087 forum posts
18 photos

Man up, I`d be grateful for a week to myself never mind a year ! smile p lol

Stevo11/10/2014 19:40:21
2699 forum posts
419 photos

Well I didn't expect all this. Thanks so much everyone.

FLY-NAVY :that's the longest message from you without you calling me something unrepeatable.

Dave Bran - I do partake in dangerous sports. You haven't seen my flying devil

Thank you all

cymaz11/10/2014 19:47:06
9450 forum posts
1241 photos
Posted by Stevo on 11/10/2014 11:10:35:

Hi All,

Notwithstanding having our moggie put down three weeks ago, we dropped our daughter off to Heathrow last night. She's 22 and off to Oz, backpacking for a year. At this time (SAT, 12/10, 11:10) she's over Sri Lanka.

She went on her own, but subscribed to a good deal where she is looked after. She's a nervous flyer, and had to be given oxygen on the LHR-DXB stretch.

SWMBO (her step mum) keeps crying, I keep staring at my laptop looking at FlightRadar, and her Brother (19) broke down in tears.

So, not having a great day. I'm proud of what she's done but will miss her quite a bit. Someone cheer me up, please?

Edited By Stevo on 11/10/2014 11:11:25

Be very proud of her that she is going out into the world on her own..our boy went out to NZ on his own. Didn't tell us until he got back that he did bungee jumping, tandem sky diving and other stuff! To cheer you up my other half ended up in hospital with a heart problem as soon as our lad left with the stress of it! Skype is a wonderful thing. Make a regular call

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!