Forum sponsored by CML

Silver Wolf's Chipper-too

A first scale build (Dennis Bryant)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Silver Wolf07/04/2015 08:10:17
167 forum posts
151 photos

Thanks Colin, I think that I may have some brass sheet lying around. like the idea of the triangle section between under carriage ribs and LE.

Was considering mounting the front part of the leg in hard wood block with a piece of tube rather than P clip.

Yours is getting along quite nicely.

Regards

SW

Colin Leighfield07/04/2015 09:06:06
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

Thanks Silver Wolf. Because I'm nervous and an inconsistent lander, I've generally beefed up the undercarriage bearing structure. Although I've saved weight elsewhere in the structure, I've added it in one or two places for the sake of durability.

The U/C I think is open to interpretation based on personal preferences and what you have lying around. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Danny Fenton07/04/2015 10:34:19
9106 forum posts
3945 photos

Not sure if you saw my note earlier SW. Because I bent my undercarriage to plan I assumed it would be straight when viewed head on, allowing for the dihedral. You cannot tell when the undercarriage is just short stubs, make sure you temporarily fit some legs so you can check they are correct before access to the piano wire is lost. You may need to bend it slightly. I am forbidding anybody to take a "head-on" picture of mine crying 2

Cheers

Danny

Colin Leighfield07/04/2015 10:43:22
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

I can't imagine what mine will look like from head-on (or sideways), once I have landed it a couple of times!

Danny Fenton07/04/2015 10:47:55
9106 forum posts
3945 photos

Well there is that! LOL

Silver Wolf07/04/2015 13:28:39
167 forum posts
151 photos

Thanks for the heads up. I will make legs as per plan and adjust where needed. More than likely to post photo before final install, as once the sheeting is added then a lot of work to try and rectify any problems.

Does any see any problem with leaving the little bit of offset in the wing build mentioned earlier in blog? personally think that it should not affect general flying overall to much, as not expecting to do any precision aerobatics.

SW

Colin Leighfield07/04/2015 15:29:17
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

Were you referring to a touch of wash-out caused by differences in the heights of the leading and trailing edges you mentioned before? If so it will be the normal rule, as long as it is wash-out and not wash-in and is symmetrical both sides, it will be fine. If it's a millimetre or two different between the sides, I can't see it being more than a trimming issue really. I'd be loathe about measuring mine up in too precise a fashion, I might frighten myself!

Silver Wolf07/04/2015 16:03:01
167 forum posts
151 photos

Colin, it would appear that it is only in one panel, but it is only a small amount 2 or 3 mm. May try and correct when I sheet underside. Pretty sure that a little bit of trim on test flight should sought it out asking as rest of airframe is true.

john stones 107/04/2015 16:14:46
10592 forum posts
1480 photos

It all feels quite flimsy till sheeted SW so chances are you'll be able to sort it, and I dare say if we all measured up with tools you used we wouldn't find perfection, it'll be o.k.

John

Colin Leighfield07/04/2015 18:12:01
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

It seems we are all agreed then, it's not anything to worry about. Looking at mine, that's exactly what I want to hear!

Danny Fenton07/04/2015 18:48:55
9106 forum posts
3945 photos
The problem with trimming out a twist using a surface deflection is that the aileron trim will change with airspeed. So if you trim for level flight at cruise, it may need a different setting for slow flight ie approach. A flight mode for slow flight would work, but I bet it wont need much.
Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 07/04/2015 18:50:54

Colin Leighfield07/04/2015 19:05:09
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

You're right Danny, but perhaps that makes it more scale. When you're flying full size you re-trim pretty much every time you do anything! (Well, the elevator anyway).

Silver Wolf08/11/2015 19:24:50
167 forum posts
151 photos

Its been a while since anybuilding on the chippy has been done. Although I am pleased to say that I have managed to start flying on regular basis (weather permitting). This has meant quite a lot of small jobs on old airframes to get them airworthy not to mention getting engines to run. Spent an awful lot of time getting some 4c to run, but we got there in the end.

Have maiden the legionnaire, must say the more I fly the more I enjoy it.leogionaire 011.jpg

Slight deviation from the plan with regards the undercarriage. I have made P clips from brass and bushed the hard wood block with some brass tube

pre fit uc blocks.jpg

I mentioned in an earlier post that slight warp in one of the panels. I have since damped the panel and re-pinned flat to the board and it is within 1.5mm, so very pleased. I was a little nervous as the glue is not water proof and on another project found out that the wood only as to be damp!!!

fitted uc blocks 001.jpg

Wing now ready for sheeting, the addition of the support blocks certainly helped to give some rigidity to the wing to allow sheeting (as per Danny' instructions)

wing ready for underside sheeting.jpg

Hope to get the wing sheeted and centre section done by the end of the month. Then it will be flaps and ailerons next.

A little way behind some (well a lot) but still going.

SW

Edited By Silver Wolf on 08/11/2015 19:26:57

Edited By Silver Wolf on 08/11/2015 19:27:26

Colin Leighfield08/11/2015 23:18:19
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

Looks very neat SW.

Silver Wolf22/11/2015 22:00:26
167 forum posts
151 photos

Started on Centre section and noticed that 1/4” balsa parts that we have to cut were not at 90°, so modified to suit also needed to add 1/16” to B3.

001.jpg

Marked the centre of B4 and added the two 1/4” TE extensions, whilst checking the fit noticed that there seems to be a slight misalignment with the two R1 ribs. So I measured and marked the centre of LE & TE. With these and the centre of B4 marked, this ensured that the TE of the centre section is correct and should make wing alignment to front and rear of fuselage less fraught.

centre section 002.jpg

centre section 001.jpg

Decided to have a hard wood block with a balsa top section for wing bolt and have used a bit of triangle stock on the TE as this seemed a high stress area with B4

centre section 003.jpg

centre section 004.jpg

Triangle stock to reduce high stress area

centre section 005.jpg

Ready for sheeting, will leave LE sheeting until wing fixing determinedcentre section 006.jpg

Danny Fenton23/11/2015 09:02:39
9106 forum posts
3945 photos

Looking good, this area on mine got a bit messy when I sheeted this area, I definitely should have waited until the wing was on the fuselage before sheeting the rear underside to ensure the lines flowed into the fuselage.

Another error on my part was not fixing a dummy flap and aileron rib so that you know exactly where the trailing edge is, there is no reference for the ailerons, wing tips or wing fairings to allign to.

Cheers

Danny

Silver Wolf03/12/2015 13:44:49
167 forum posts
151 photos

Made a start on flap/ailerons, managed to source some brass tube of correct size. Cut tube with Stanley knife after sliding over some 16swg piano wire.

cutting bushes.jpg

Drilled out horns and hinges with 1.9mm drill then spot of thin cyno.

bushed hinge.jpg

Decided to build the flap and aileron as one! thought that would help with keeping everything aligned for fitting hinges?

flap_aileron.jpg

However even though it was built flat and pinned to the board we still managed to build in some washout (warped).

aileron tip te.jpg

flap root te.jpg

Possibly due to the change in leading edge angle?

change in le angle.jpg

Will build left hand side and see where we are at.

Andy Muckley03/12/2015 23:34:45
365 forum posts
13 photos

Hi SW. i had the same problem with the warp and i built mine separately

Silver Wolf04/12/2015 10:52:28
167 forum posts
151 photos

Hi Andy,

What did you do with them in the end?

SW

Nev04/12/2015 19:39:47
592 forum posts
221 photos

Hi SW, my flaps are the same. There is a bit about them in my build but I came to the conclusion that they are supposed to be like that and left them as built as they seem to match the wing. It's unavoidable if you use the cut parts as all the rib angles get progressively steeper as you go down the wing.

Good looking build so far.

Nev.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us