By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Crashed today, really annoyed with myself!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Hall 226/10/2014 19:30:10
278 forum posts
48 photos

I have waited nearly 2 weeks for a gap in the weather to fly my Radian again. It was dry today, but the wind was averaging 10, gusting 20-25. It was a bit tricky controlling it smoothly on the climb and at altitude as I am still a beginner. I got it up to a decent height and thought I would just bring it down safely and call it a day as it was not much fun. I was fighting it upwind and had to use the motor a fair bit to try to get it in close for landing. Not being used to this kind of wind, there was a sudden gust fairly close to the ground which caught me unawares and resulted in a heavier landing than normal. I thought it was ok as the plane was quite close to the ground, but it broke the front end off! I should have just landed it slightly further out, but I was being lazy trying my best to bring it in as close as I could. It ended up as a fairly easy repair being a foamie, but I now wish I would have just had the sense and patience to wait a little longer for better flying conditions. The fuselage is now looking a little battered, so next time I crash, I think I will move the controls over to the new spare fuselage!

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 26/10/2014 19:31:51

Phil Green26/10/2014 19:46:24
1639 forum posts
344 photos

No, leave it battered! you will learn far more quickly on a hack than a pristine airframe that you're scared to scratch!

10 gusting 25 could catch anybody out, even the experts. Worry less, fly more!

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 26/10/2014 19:47:12

john stones 126/10/2014 19:50:11
11648 forum posts
1517 photos

Absolutely correct Phil, mend it n fly it, and don't beat yourself up for making mistakes.

John

cymaz26/10/2014 20:00:10
9334 forum posts
1211 photos

Don't be annoyed with yourself too much. My instructor told me years ago one of the best skills to learn was know when not to fly.

But good luck for the future.

Josip Vrandecic -Mes26/10/2014 20:03:24
2993 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Simon , I fly with the easy glider pro with similar characteristics and I think you've had too strong wind.
If repeated this situation attempted fast landing downwind because there will be less damage.

Rgds

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 26/10/2014 20:04:11

Shaunie26/10/2014 20:36:35
952 forum posts
78 photos

I am sure most people will echo the sentiment that its the beaten up hack that you enjoy flying the most. Of course turning a pristine plane into a beaten up old hack takes a great investment in time and effort, just enjoy it on the way through.

When I first learn to fly I was told that it was better to walk a long way to pick up a complete plane than a short way to pick up the pieces. Learn good landings first, learn good, accurate landings after.

Shaunie.

John Privett26/10/2014 21:49:41
6081 forum posts
243 photos

Landing in a gusty wind can be a bit of a lottery at times! I snapped a (nylon) undercarriage bolt in my first landing this afternoon. The next landing was absolutely fine, and the wind was not much different between the two.

I was just unlucky in the first one - landing in a blustery crosswind I hit a 'lump' of turbulence at just the wrong moment... It happens!

Wiltshire Flyer26/10/2014 22:15:48
1565 forum posts
477 photos

Too windy for it Simon, I wouldn't have flown mine in that, still we live and learn 😉

Concorde Speedbird26/10/2014 22:23:08
2735 forum posts
650 photos

I crashed a Wot 4 the other day on landing approach. Nearly repaired already, it will go again soon. It is all good practice!

CS

Sam Wragg26/10/2014 23:48:12
171 forum posts
219 photos

crashing comes with the territory.... all models die eventually its no big deal accept it and move on.

Sam

Simon Hall 227/10/2014 17:33:18
278 forum posts
48 photos

Thanks all, very wise tips as usual! The main thing making me think about moving everything over to my spare new fuse is the pic below. I did not notice the bend at the front end until after the repair. It was a clean break like the others, although one of the first crashes I had did give some compression damage and slightly 'fattened' the canopy area. It looks like everything from the firewall up is on the lean. I really did not notice this before. I cannot adjust it as everything is glued in and the motor unit is as flush as it can be to the fuse. I suppose compression damage must have just bent the front end a bit more this time. Not sure what to do about this. What effect would this have on flying? Should I leave it and fly with it or go for the spare fuse?

20141027_165716.jpg

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 27/10/2014 17:33:54

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 27/10/2014 17:43:26

..27/10/2014 18:18:56
974 forum posts
1 photos

Simon I wouldn't beat yourself up over it we've all been there, in your heart of hearts you know it's to windy but seeing as your there now & you've not had a flight for ages you give it a go. And yes as soon as you get up there you know it's just a fuel/time/battery wasting process so you make the inevitable bad landing, as I say we've all done it.

As you progress you will have an old hack for such days but still get annoyed when it needs yet another repair lol.

As for your airframe do as suggested & fly it until it's dead & save your new fuse till then.

Peter Miller27/10/2014 18:27:23
11367 forum posts
1342 photos
10 articles

Last Sunday but one (19th) no one in our club bothered to go flying, it was gusting to about 23 mph and we fly fairly fast aerobtaic models a lot of the time. We can fly in those gusts but it isn't any fun. I have flown a fast .25 powered aerobatic model in 30 mp gusts. Again. NO fun.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator27/10/2014 18:28:01
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Hi Simon,

well as an old mate of mine used to say "if you are afraid of crashing them - stick to Airfix"!

I'm afraid crashing models happens. True, as you get more experienced you crash them a lot less often - but (and I hate to depress you) but it never entirely goes away!

But it down to experience, get back in the saddle and don't be too hard on yourself. smile

BEB

GrahamWh27/10/2014 18:28:35
356 forum posts
53 photos

Its October - plenty more bad wind days coming, few calm ones. I agree with flying it with the old fuse.

Simon Hall 227/10/2014 19:20:25
278 forum posts
48 photos

Thanks all, I really am not worried about the cosmetics and agree that it's easier to fly an old hack more confidently than a shiny new one, especially now with the poor weather coming and more potential for accidents. I was just concerned that the motor not being in line with the fuse would make the plane awkward to control next time out, even on a calm day.

Simon Hall 227/10/2014 19:31:30
278 forum posts
48 photos
Posted by Justin K. on 27/10/2014 18:18:56:

Simon I wouldn't beat yourself up over it we've all been there, in your heart of hearts you know it's to windy but seeing as your there now & you've not had a flight for ages you give it a go. And yes as soon as you get up there you know it's just a fuel/time/battery wasting process so you make the inevitable bad landing, as I say we've all done it.

As you progress you will have an old hack for such days but still get annoyed when it needs yet another repair lol.

As for your airframe do as suggested & fly it until it's dead & save your new fuse till then.

I am totally guilty of knowing that the conditions were a bit iffy, but I just wanted to fly in desperation after a long wait and hunger to progress as I was doing so well previously. I am a beginner after all and will of course learn from this mistake. On this flight, I should have settled for an easier landing opportunity that I had from further away as suggested, but I pushed it and got caught out.

john stones 127/10/2014 19:33:28
11648 forum posts
1517 photos

Lots of happy pilots flying bent models Simon..i promise youwink

If it's only slight, will just need a little rudder/aileron trim in to fly o.k.

Try another picture ...nose on and upright if you're unsure ?

John

p.s credit to you for flying in some wind, as long as it's not silly get stuck in, it'll make you a better pilot because you have to work harder

Edited By john stones 1 on 27/10/2014 19:36:25

fly boy327/10/2014 19:50:39
3754 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Simon, a wonderful pilot, and model maker was asked at a show, how he become such a good flier. Steve Holland ( I was told) replied, I crash a lot of planes. Enough said. Cheers

Simon Hall 227/10/2014 19:51:53
278 forum posts
48 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 27/10/2014 19:33:28:

Lots of happy pilots flying bent models Simon..i promise youwink

If it's only slight, will just need a little rudder/aileron trim in to fly o.k.

Try another picture ...nose on and upright if you're unsure ?

John

p.s credit to you for flying in some wind, as long as it's not silly get stuck in, it'll make you a better pilot because you have to work harder

Edited By john stones 1 on 27/10/2014 19:36:25

Thanks John, it certainly sharpened my concentration and was a good experience, but the plane was pretty much flying backwards upwind, even with elevator compensation. I had a few scary wobbles too. An experienced pilot no doubt would have probably shifted the CG and added weight somewhere and controlled it far better than I ever could, but this is far beyond my scope as a beginner. I am still using the standard 1300 PZ Lipo too, which I suppose being on the light side is better for calmer conditions. It's all good fun though and I love it! Learning every day...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!