By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hobbyking Oncost

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mastercrashman27/10/2014 23:27:08
63 forum posts
5 photos

Could I pose a question for those who purchase from Hobbyking UK Warehouse?

I have looked at past posts but would appreciate some clarification.

On two occasions I have found a mismatch (an oncost) between the cost of items ordered from the Hobbyking UK warehouse in pounds sterling and the cost displayed on my PayPal payment page.

On the first occasion I purchased the items and realised the difference soon after. After many emails in which Hobbyking blamed PayPal currency conversion and hinted at faulty addition they said it was a system glitch due to my membership not being recognised while purchasing the order.

Well, it’s happened again. This time I didn’t press the PayPal button. My order came to £131.45, my PayPal page came to £135.74 a difference (oncost) of £4.29 or 3.26%. I have raised another dispute in which they have told me to contact PayPal, then they blamed it on Shipping variations and now they have asked me to send screen prints to a separate department, which I have.

Although Hobbyking are a Chinese company and trade in dollars, surely buying from a UK warehouse will bring any sale under UK trading standards. Shouldn’t the sterling price quoted, therefore, be the sterling price to be paid?

Codename-John27/10/2014 23:34:46
1087 forum posts
18 photos

It is a difference in exchange rate from HK and Paypal, HK prices are not live, they only update their rates a couple of times a year and as you know the Foreign exchange rate is constantly changing, Paypal always use a worse rate than the actual one as they then skim an extra profit off that too

You are not actually buying from a UK warehouse and UK Laws / Regulations etc do not apply, you are buying from a Chinese computer, the Warehouse is just a postal location in this country they happened to forward some stuff from China to, to make it quicker to send out to your address

Mastercrashman27/10/2014 23:45:46
63 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks for that, John.

Codename-John27/10/2014 23:50:16
1087 forum posts
18 photos

For instance ive just bought some silicon hoses for my sons MX bike from the US on ebay

MSN Money puts the exchange rate at - 1.6113

Paypal rate was actually - 1.5640

They`re making an extra nearly 5 cents on every Dollar !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!