By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Sad News - KPMFC to Close

Kempton Park Model Flyers given their marching orders soon.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Delta Whiskey24/11/2014 20:08:58
1320 forum posts
90 photos

We heard very recently that our club would not be renewed it's license to fly at Kempton Park Racecourse which expires end of April 2015.

Founded originally as Addlestone Model Flying Club back in the 1960's and moving into Kempton Park in 1988, we have just over 80 members and are now looking for alternative options before closing completely if nothing found.

If anyone in the knows of any potential sites in the Surrey / Middlesex area please let me know ! Seeing places is the easy bit, getting contact and owner info is the hard bit !

Tis very Sad news indeed, we fly on Green Belt Land, which is under threat from a proposed development for 1500 homes for which an application is expected after the elections next May ! When will we stop destroying all our open spaces and lungs of our environment !

Percy Verance24/11/2014 21:24:43
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Now that is the very worst news a Club can receive DW.

When we were looking for a suitable site some 7 years back, I simply got in my car after looking carefully at Ordnance Survey maps. After a fair bit of chatting with several farmers and landowners, we secured a good 6 acre site for our use. The farmer initially had reservations, and suggested a trial period of a month. We're still there 7 years later thankfully. I rather fear there will be further sites lost as the ever incresing demand for housing continues to rise.

There is a club not too far from me who's site is under threat from an ongoing wetlands project. In recent weeks a number of cattle have been moved from nearby grazing land to make way for the latest phase of this wetlands scheme. As I understand it, the project is to continue for some time yet.

I'd contact the BMFA and see if they can offer some help. It may also be worth contacting the Club's local MP, as model flying is a recognised sport.

Good luck with the search for a new site.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/11/2014 21:35:23

Martin Whybrow24/11/2014 22:44:19
884 forum posts
33 photos

The ongoing assault on green belt land is apalling; every council now claims planning applications are 'exceptional cases' which allows them to go ahead on green belt land. I can't understand why every district, in the South East at least, is having to build thousands or tens of thousands of new houses; where are all these people now? Are they building at the same rate in the Midlands and the North?

Sorry to hear about the loss of the field, but remember that your local council has a duty to help you as model flying is recognised as a sport by the UK Sports Council and councils are obliged to support sporting activities.

John Privett25/11/2014 00:48:06
5959 forum posts
236 photos

That is a great shame, DW.

In our crowded corner of the country I don't imagine it's going to be easy to find an alternative site, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

bouncebounce crunch25/11/2014 07:12:49
1739 forum posts
212 photos

I know it takes time for a response from authorities but what is the response from the BMFA?

Two long time large clubs gone.

Mowerman25/11/2014 10:23:20
1541 forum posts
105 photos

Have the people at Kempton Park given their reasons for kicking the model flying off?

I seem to recall another race course doing this some time back.

Perhaps if we know their reasoning other clubs who fly from similar sites can be ready with counter arguments.

Edited By Mowerman on 25/11/2014 10:25:16

Edited By Mowerman on 25/11/2014 10:27:56

Area 5125/11/2014 10:45:03
653 forum posts
1 photos

Sorry to read this DW... it is a real shame... recent planning applications/changes to green belt here in Cheshire have been voted against; the cost for the green belt planning proposal (too date) in excess of £4m! and no approval.. probably not get them after the elections either... I read yesterday another councillor has stepped down because of the ineptitude surrounding the whole saga.. where have we heard this before ?

They should be spending immediately on the brown field locations.. not wasting it on some planning dream...

Wet lands, green belt.. goodness.. in reality, just how often do your records show the club field as being used once wind/rain/snow/cold weather have had their collective ways... I bet it isnt 50% of the year.. our club is less than 90 days per annum!.. if the tree huggers/non well doers cant cope with this...

Chase down the BMFA DW, they need to step in and see if anything can be salvaged here via the local council or local NT land owners for your 80 members, perhaps the MP's can do the same and pressure the local council into coming up with alternatives...

Good luck with it all.. perhaps the best time of year to be looking - you can see through trees and hedges to good patches of land etc... that is if there are any postives.. sad

Good luck all the same

Cuban825/11/2014 13:07:30
2725 forum posts
13 photos

Yesterday's Times on page 2, "CPRE says there's enough brown field land for a million homes going undeveloped".................."rising population outstripping demand by two to one"................

Says it all reallysad

Dizz25/11/2014 13:30:11
167 forum posts
43 photos
Posted by Mowerman on 25/11/2014 10:23:20:

Have the people at Kempton Park given their reasons for kicking the model flying off?

I seem to recall another race course doing this some time back.

Perhaps if we know their reasoning other clubs who fly from similar sites can be ready with counter arguments.

The Exeter club lost their site at Haldon race course a few years ago in similar circumstances. At the end of the day if the landlord sees a way of making more money then model flying just cannot compete.

Pete

Steve T25/11/2014 13:53:26
488 forum posts
74 photos

It's enough to make you use naughty words! But as a caution, maybe it's not a good idea to tell people that due to our unpredictable weather we only use the site a few days a week if we are lucky. I've had an awful year despite the great summer where I live, days of glorious sunshine, until I got a plane out then the heavens opened. I am serious though, if they think we are not making use of the land maybe they have a valid argument, why not behave everyone else and pretend all is roses, we do contribute to the sporting world as much as any footballer earning 75000 a week.........have I lost the plot ?

Percy Verance25/11/2014 14:25:46
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Martin

Rest assured it's happening here in the North as well. I live in a village about 6 miles or so from the nearest large town in the Southern part of the Lake District. And yes, new houses are going up by the dozen in the town. And most appear to be selling on completion!

Indeed, near the village I'm at, a piece of land has recently been granted planning for up to 100 new dwellings, although the owner of that land hasn't yet sold it to a developer. Obviously, he knew fine well his land would be worth substantially more with permission to build...... and there don''t appear to be too many problems for developers as long as they propose a development with a percentage of affordable housing.......

I've yet to see a proposed development containing those magic words turned down........

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/11/2014 14:30:16

MikeS25/11/2014 15:04:06
818 forum posts
240 photos

Gutted is how I feel right now and not just for me but also for my fellow club mates. We thought this might happen but not for a few years. Apart from the flying side it would be sad to loose the friendships of the other club members if another site is not found.

Doug and the rest of the committee have worked had on the club and made it fun and fair for all to enjoy. Unfortunately as a club we cannot compete against this planned proposed building project.

Mike

cymaz25/11/2014 18:36:13
8666 forum posts
1177 photos

You have my thoughts and prayers....it cannot be a very easy time for you.

jimmac25/11/2014 19:13:21
67 forum posts
1 photos

Try your local farmers weekly paper, an advert in there might come up trumps. When we were looking for a new site to start a new club it took us a year and an advert done the trick. Good luck in your search and for the future.

Jim.

www.modelclub.org

Delta Whiskey25/11/2014 19:20:42
1320 forum posts
90 photos

Thanks for all your kind words, support and suggestions. We already speaking with the council and indeed Kempton have asked them to help us.

The reason they state is because of a series of complaints from one complainer, however we know an application for development is pending until after the May elections but of course they deny this is reason for getting rid of us. We asked if we could be moved further away from the area the "complainer" lives closest too, but they said no.

Keep your eyes open folks please !

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 25/11/2014 19:21:19

Delta Whiskey06/01/2015 15:35:25
1320 forum posts
90 photos

Well we have 114 days left and although we have made several lines of enquirey all seem to be draging their heels.

Count down timer at **LINK**

We plan to keep the club going for one more year even if we don't have a site, then decide to fold or try for another year.

If you all be kind enough if you care about Green Belt Land, no matter where you are to sign this petetion that the local resident group is running to get 1000 signatures it could do no harm please!

**LINK**

Anyone can help please let me know !

Mowerman06/01/2015 16:37:31
1541 forum posts
105 photos

A club I was a member of some 11 years back fly from a site that is less than ideal due to public access. At that time they were looking for somewhere better and offering a substantial cash reward to anyone who found something. A suitable site was found recently but as the club were negotiating, the land owner had an application to use the land for a solar farm so it seems the club is back to square one.

Delta Whiskey06/01/2015 17:07:18
1320 forum posts
90 photos

Well good luck to that club too Mowerman - seems we are running out of space everywhere !

Close the borders, stop the free loaders coming in and at least then we can stop developing every bit of grass we currently have !

Don't foget to sign the petition please !

Brian Lambert07/01/2015 14:16:58
339 forum posts
6 photos

This is bad news Delta Whiskey As you may have read our club (Surrey RCC) lost our field to development last year. Luckily our landlord offered us a new strip on another part of his farm! Anyway if you have no luck I am sure that any of your members within range of Crawley/Horsham would be welcome to join us at our new strip, which is looking quite good now and will get better with mowing in the spring.

Brian

Delta Whiskey07/01/2015 20:09:13
1320 forum posts
90 photos

Thanks Brian, though I feel you may be a tad far out for the majority of our members. I looked at your website - looking good !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us