Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Signal Loss with Spektrum?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
cymaz04/01/2015 18:45:10
8582 forum posts
1160 photos

There seems to be a pattern emerging...all ( including my futaba ff9 + tm8 module) planes just seem to suddenly head towards the ground and finish there!

When the post mortem is done range check and everything is good....someone tell me I'm not making this up.

Edited By cymaz on 04/01/2015 18:46:03

Percy Verance04/01/2015 19:32:59
8109 forum posts
155 photos

cymaz

You're not making this up..........

Ronaldo04/01/2015 19:34:53
228 forum posts
17 photos

Hi WolstonFlyer,, thanks for your input. Yes already seen that DSM2 Rx bulletin. I was using the AR9300 carbon fuselage 9 channel Rx, so I don't think that's the problem. But no .... I have not updated the Tx software. I'm afraid I'm of the old school ... 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' class. I've had such a great year flying with no problems at all with my DX18QQ previously, so much so that I became reluctant to make any changes or updates while it was working well. But maybe I'm missing something here and should update asap ... I'll log in to spektrum again and check it out.

Regards

Ronaldo

Ronaldo04/01/2015 19:48:51
228 forum posts
17 photos

.... maybe we all should all go back to good old reliable 'control line ' flying cymaz ...... cheeky

.... but then again maybe not, I would have to sit down and recover my bearings after each flight

...... and probably feel the need to puke ... bad enough just watching the speed C/L models and pilots going round and round at the Nats ...crook

cymaz04/01/2015 19:56:47
8582 forum posts
1160 photos

I'm now starting to believe its not the Tx,Rx, installation or make. There is something or someone broadcasting interference on 2.4

Dont know how,why and to what means but similar tragedies with completely different makes and set ups. The only similarity is 2.4.

Can an electronic boffin come up with any ideas/ theories??cool

Edited By cymaz on 04/01/2015 20:00:42

GONZO04/01/2015 21:12:05
1249 forum posts
13 photos

Part of the conditions of use of the '2.4gHz ISM Licence Free Band' is that all users must accept interference from all other users. I, as a full 'ham' licence holder, can transmit at 400W on part of the band. I'll leave it to your imagination what that may do to a simple RC Rx if its within range!

On another point, I've previously posted on the ETSI EN 300 standards changes (Futaba 14SG Tx software update V5) that are now going to be applied to all new RC equipement on the 15/01/2015. Spektrum users may be interested to read the link to a just started thread concerning the consequences to backward compatability with DSM2.

**LINK**

Edited By GONZO on 04/01/2015 21:13:36

Dave Hopkin04/01/2015 22:00:36
3672 forum posts
294 photos

And that Gonzo, is why (I assume) promted to new EU regulations about enforcing the "listen before talk" protocol as a mndatory requirement?

GONZO05/01/2015 09:00:48
1249 forum posts
13 photos

AFAIK as a licence holder for the use of part of the 2.4gHz band I am not subject to the conditions that the licence free users have to operate under. Also, all the old protocol equipement that is already in use can continue to be used as it is 'grandfathered' in. Thus, I shall continue to use long into the future my Futaba FASST sets (this protocol no longer complies to the new regs) that have a duty cycle 250% greater than the new limit and that do not LBT. Therefore, as I see it, all the newer LBT sets will have to give way to my FASST non LBT transmissions giving me a possibly more secure RF link in this increasingly busy band. How much 'traffic' in the band is required before the new LBT sets have dropped enough frames of data before they start to exhibit slowed response and then drop into Rx failsafe???

This has strayed of the OP somewhat but I think that cymaz may well have a point when he infers that the 2.4gHz band may be the problem and not any make of RC. FHSS is interference resistant(especially NB interference) and robust but not infalible.

Pete B - Moderator05/01/2015 09:30:33
7572 forum posts
732 photos

If you wish to continue discussing aspects of the ETSI EN 300 standards changes, folks, can you do so on the original thread, please?

That will keep this one clear for discussing Ben's problem, tathumbs up

Pete

bert baker05/01/2015 13:08:54
1376 forum posts
297 photos

So what were do we go from here.

Has anyone had a receiver sent back for repair or the transmitter.

Has any good come from sending them back.

I would still be a bit nervous of using a receiver fresh back from repair/ service.

ben goodfellow 105/01/2015 13:54:10
1069 forum posts
41 photos

I've been on to hh it's getting packed up tonight and sent tomorrow they are going to look at the ar 9110 Rx too

ben goodfellow 105/01/2015 14:00:29
1069 forum posts
41 photos

If it comes back with a report saying no problems were found . I will not be happy putting it in a new airframe. I KNOW it was some form of Los , even if some on here will never e convinced it wasn't dumb thumb

Dave Hopkin05/01/2015 14:38:05
3672 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by robert Jones 14 on 05/01/2015 14:17:48:
Posted by Percy Verance on 04/01/2015 18:23:54:

Let's have a straw poll- who has had radio problems, and what make was it.I'll bet Futaba is still the most reliable make (once you get into FASST and beyond, so comparisons are fair- just because their are still Challengers providing sterling service they should not be compared with the latest models from other manufacturers).

And all thing being equal statsitcally that should show the most populous brand has the most problems and wont tell you a thing, also as Spektrum have a good grip of the ARTF market they will probably have a higher percentage of inexperienced flyers thanmany other makes that will probably bias the numbers that way too

Pete B - Moderator05/01/2015 14:42:58
7572 forum posts
732 photos

Please stay on topic, folks - this isn't the thread for Futaba discussion or straw polls etc... it's all been done to death before.

Pete

Masher05/01/2015 15:48:23
1103 forum posts
79 photos
Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 05/01/2015 14:00:29:

If it comes back with a report saying no problems were found . I will not be happy putting it in a new airframe. I KNOW it was some form of Los , even if some on here will never e convinced it wasn't dumb thumb

If it helps, here is my experience:

I had an issue with a well flown, tried and tested IC Acrowot - one of my favourite models. One day I was positioning for take off and motor suddenly went to full, I had no control, plane took off in wrong direction, engine cut, plane stalled and crunched. Gutted, couldn't believe it, suspect this dreaded loss of signal. I KNEW it wasn't something I did on the sticks.

Checked out model, radio and all components now working all Ok, tried Tx and another model all Ok even at near out of sight range.

At home, checked everything couldn't find issue. Sent Tx and Rx (Spectrum DX8 & 6210? Rx) back to HH with explanation. They turned it round very quickly with NFF (no fault found). As a good will gesture they replaced Rx all FOC. I took their word for it that the "LOS" was not due to the radio itself.

Did extensive bench testing and eventually found an issue by tugging on all components and connections - it turned out to be (hard to describe without a photo really) one of the plastic retaining lugs within the battery switch connector - the 3-way connector that holds the +,-,control signal crimped connectors, had started to fracture and no longer secured the positive crimp properly. Under high load (waggling all servos), low charge or vibration from engine, the connection was becoming at best high resistance, at worst open circuit. This caused LOS as the Rx etc was loosing power. Visually hard to see and under static conditions it all worked fine.

Failsafe, as we all know, is useless if the battery power is lost so that will do nothing for you.

Perhaps a bit embarrassing for me since I have some decades experience as an electronics engineer but the point I'm making is, it can be just as likely to be one of the other components as the radio system. HH were correct with their NFF statement and I have flown many times since without further issue.

Sorry about the ramble in trying to give an alternative possibility

ben goodfellow 105/01/2015 15:54:32
1069 forum posts
41 photos

Hello fail on switch was in use . Ie Rx is on till switched off

Masher05/01/2015 16:01:41
1103 forum posts
79 photos

Ok it wasn't that then but is there any other single point of failure anywhere? And any failsafe system is still dependent on all its connections being good

ben goodfellow 105/01/2015 16:14:36
1069 forum posts
41 photos

We'll . It was set up to avoid this and have redundancy . I don't know what redundancy there is inside the Rx further down the chain from safe switches ,two lipo packs and four satellite Rxs but that's beyond me . Something went wrong either tx or rx

Lee Smalley05/01/2015 16:20:24
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles

agreed that for a lot of issues it us that are at fault, but nothing is 100% and lets face it spektrum has had its fair share of problems, i had a Weston cougar which locked out for about 3-5 seconds before getting her back, and my PB models tornado which i never got back both a quite busy fly-ins and this was only the 2 recent happenings and all were with new rxs, my old ar700s never missed a beat, on both occasions no sign of battery problem or any other for that matter could be found, it is then that i made my decision to swap, if you read about how DSM2 works and how other protocols works then you can make your own mind up, personally i just had too many issues with DSM2 to make it worth it, for me JRs DMSS binds instantly has proven rock solid and whilst i don't get a free receiver when i loose a model from HH, it does not compensate me for an expensive model. JMO

Dave Hopkin05/01/2015 16:23:18
3672 forum posts
294 photos

Might be worth checking the TX battery connections...... that would be a single point of failiure

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us