Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Two old biddys need assistance!

senior citizens starting out

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Hulme17/09/2007 18:19:00
7 forum posts

My pal is 83 & I am 10 years younger, my mate needs a new interest to help pass the time and we fancy RC Gliders or electrically driven RC models, However neither of us have a clue about it all and as we are not up to walking up and down hills to retieve lost / crashed models, Im thinking that a pukka RC control box and a suitable programme on our computers may be the way to learn, we could for instance practise flying away from us and then turning back towards us, this must all sound very simplistic to those who can fly models but unless we can learn the very basics on a simulator at home I can see that we would very soon give up.

Another thing is we are not able to make our models as our bodies are seizing up but our brains are very active, Myself I would like an RC Helicopter but I understand that these can be quite a steep learning curve. ready built models would be a must.

We live in an area with wide open spaces all very hilly and as far as I can make out remote from any RC Flying functions

Looking forward to any thoughts or help from you people. P                                            PS we could always turn to drink I suppose.

Tim Mackey17/09/2007 18:36:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Hi and welcome, your age is not really a barrier, I personally know several guys in clubs who can give you a few years

What you describe is called a R/C simulator, and there are several very good ones, and few very basic ones ( some are even free ) although you will need a transmitter controller to plug into the PC, although some simulators do come complete with a basic transmitter dedicated to just that. There are also now some fine fairly simple to use and very reasonably priced indoor helicopters from around 100 pounds INCLUDING the transmitter etc. Alternatively try a the piccoZ minature indoor fun heli at around £20 or less.

If any of these ideas whet your appetite, post back here, and I shall put some more links here for you to investigate further. HTH ( hope that helps )

http://www.realitycraft.com/sims.php

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1420&aff=1272

http://www.firebox.com/pic/p1420h.gif

Bravedan22/09/2007 18:32:00
152 forum posts
6 photos

Suggest you buy the ESky USB connecting Transmitter which comes with a copy of the freeware FMS simulator, an easy to get going package and cheap at less than £20.

Then see if you like it..........and come bacjk here!!! 

Tim Mackey22/09/2007 19:58:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
As David reminded me the other day on another post.... R/C plane master is also excellent value at £20 including controller.
Paul Hulme23/09/2007 09:35:00
7 forum posts
Thanks for the above replys chaps I will see what I can find on Google, you have given me / us a good start.
Jack Tanner05/02/2008 14:37:00
27 forum posts
37 photos
you can download a free copy of FSM just type in www.flyingmodelsimulator.com
Paul Hulme05/02/2008 18:22:00
7 forum posts
Thanks chaps and Jack for your input, we now have Planemaster and I can take of but landing needs a lot more practise I can crash em well tho. Paul
Jack Tanner05/02/2008 20:27:00
27 forum posts
37 photos

I should have said www.FMS.co.uk       or .com

Jack Tanner05/02/2008 20:29:00
27 forum posts
37 photos

big mistake it should be  

www.fmsflyingmodelsimulator

Tim Mackey05/02/2008 20:36:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Dont think youve quite mastered this linky thingy yet Jack 'cos neither of them is right either.

Try this [img]/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif[/img]

Jack Tanner05/02/2008 20:40:00
27 forum posts
37 photos
if you can send me your email address i will send you the free simulator
Eric Bray05/02/2008 22:51:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

Or as an alternative to the FMS sim, the Realitycraft one, for about £20 on Ebay, with a dummy transmitter that plugs into the pc, has better graphics and more models, but unfortunately no helis, although the new disc, at £45 quid for just the software, does.

Welcome to the mad, merry throng, and be warned, this model-flying game can be very addictive!! (And SO much more fun than a round of golf or a pint down the pub). 

Paul Hulme06/02/2008 09:31:00
7 forum posts

We both have the Transmitter and Its a Reality craft one the planemaster dissc with the software on came with them (am I confusing you ?) we both manage to fly the Jet as it will fly slower than the others we find. trouble is bringing it back and into land is rare.

Are there any outdoor fliying events for RC stuff within or near to Mid Wales ??

Jack    prof1206@googlemail.com

jaktan06/02/2008 14:08:00
34 forum posts
9 photos

your email address /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif[/img]rof1206@googlemail.com]prof1206@googlemail.com did not work and i tried to send you the whole package   

Jack Tanner email  jt011d3852 @ blueyonder.co.uk so please emailme on my address and things can only get better dont include the spaces when replying

Jack Tanner

Tim Mackey06/02/2008 14:17:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
jack...why dont you just use the "email me " button on his forum pfrofile?
Jack Tanner06/02/2008 15:27:00
27 forum posts
37 photos
I dont know how to please tell me
Tim Mackey06/02/2008 18:03:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
click the persons name on the red banner atop his post. When his profile page then opens...click where it says "email me "
Jack Tanner06/02/2008 18:43:00
27 forum posts
37 photos
thank you I just did that so i hope it works
David Martin 206/02/2008 23:49:00
282 forum posts
61 photos

Hi Paul,

If you two just fancy dipping a toe between you to see if R/C flying is your cup of tea and you live in a place with plenty of open space, how about giving one of these a bash..?

http://www.tjdmodels.com/e-commerce/tjdmodels/product.jsf?productId=453

It is a small electric plane with everything included to fly/charge etc, plus it comes with anti crash technology that self rights any abnormal attitudes if you loose control for any reason. They are raving about them on US forums as a great economical way to learn.

Just a thought.

birdy11/04/2008 16:12:00
1423 forum posts
110 photos
Even though you've sent it to him already I might just say the correct adress is http://n.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us