Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil 906/07/2016 07:12:44
4287 forum posts
242 photos

a similar idea can also be used for building wings

Old_Robin08/07/2016 16:44:37
28 forum posts
16 photos

While quite a good idea, the fun of fitting leading and trailing edges to this wing makes me wince.

I think a thick and strong base layer to your bench with a soft pin-surface is still the best bet, with spacer blocks for the LE and TE and even the ends of the spars if you want washout. I am not a believer in plate glass and I think significant minor warpage can easily be created during covering, so why be in anguish about the last 2 thou (that's 2 mils to you guys over there) during the gluing up of very flexible assemblies....

I keep hearing a song "....castles in the air...."

onetenor08/07/2016 18:33:09
1901 forum posts

Personally never had any probs using a flat board pins and weights. for wings and fuselages

Mike T12/07/2016 01:20:09
435 forum posts
29 photos

Why a square tube, though? A round tube can be gently twisted to aid extraction. A sq. tube requires a straight pull and my luck would see a former or two getting cracked!

The move towards CNC kits is welcome though - I'd much prefer to put those lovely jigsaws together myself. Just think of all the KK Flying Scale models that would actually have flown, had they been CNC cut from balsa (not teak). smiley

Erfolg12/07/2016 11:27:55
11556 forum posts
1271 photos

The requirement for drilled or punched holes is seen by myself as a potential issue. To avoid twists and good LE/TE alignment requires that these mandrel holes being reasonably accurately made.

This requirement may be slightly more difficult to achieve if the holes are not on the CL of the rib. This wood come into play where the top surface or lower surface of the wing is normally built flat, to the building board.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CADMA
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us