Forum sponsored by CML

Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

My build of this kit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Johnson 421/05/2020 21:37:39
761 forum posts
473 photos

Ouch... that's almost half the cost of the Kit!!!!

Boy I would cry if I broke one of those...

Eric Robson21/05/2020 22:18:59
266 forum posts
49 photos
Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 21/05/2020 21:37:39:

I will not be using one of those props I have broke three in the last 3 days, two were nose overs as the strip needs cutting so I thought I'd do a wheels up landing and the prop hit the ground first, 16" electrics snap like carrots. Today I flew my Acrowot 46 glow engine great flying nothing broke.

Richard it is nice to see my name on the list for the Spitfire.

Cheers, Eric.

RICHARD WILLS21/05/2020 22:28:06
528 forum posts
69 photos

Yep !

Dynam three blader (FW190 prop ) , may not be perfect but at £4.25 I sleep a lot easier .

I have flown Pauls Spit with (I think a bigger 15x8 ) K series Master Airsrew (correct me Paul) , that seemed good too .

FMS are about £10 a set of blades so still not eye watering .

RICHARD WILLS21/05/2020 22:32:31
528 forum posts
69 photos

If you want to try it at reasonable money , get the FMS corsair prop and hub and install it in an 3" ally spinner .

Make sure you can land every time without nose overs first ....

Dickw21/05/2020 23:25:08
723 forum posts
99 photos
Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 21/05/2020 21:37:39:

That's the main reason I haven't flown with it yet, but it does look good on the groundsmiley

Photo of mine (on the ground) is in this thread on 12th April last year.

Dick

Paul Johnson 422/05/2020 07:04:51
761 forum posts
473 photos
Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 21/05/2020 22:28:06:

Yep !

Dynam three blader (FW190 prop ) , may not be perfect but at £4.25 I sleep a lot easier .

I have flown Pauls Spit with (I think a bigger 15x8 ) K series Master Airsrew (correct me Paul) , that seemed good too .

FMS are about £10 a set of blades so still not eye watering .

OK... it's K series Master Airscrew not K series Master Airsrew cheeky

Close, it's a 14x9x3

leccyflyer22/05/2020 08:37:01
1481 forum posts
324 photos

How exactly does one go about ordering one of these kits? The website just says that they are sold out?

Paul Johnson 422/05/2020 08:50:10
761 forum posts
473 photos
Posted by leccyflyer on 22/05/2020 08:37:01:

How exactly does one go about ordering one of these kits? The website just says that they are sold out?

Drop Richard Wills a PM to arrange one.

leccyflyer22/05/2020 09:50:43
1481 forum posts
324 photos

Thanks Paul

Jonathan W22/05/2020 10:40:39
124 forum posts
11 photos

What are the exhaust stack options then, Richard? I guess the Mk IX has a longer nose than the Mk V, so if we are being pedantic it should have IX exhausts!

Also, do you have any particular decal sets already prepared?

RICHARD WILLS22/05/2020 11:58:09
528 forum posts
69 photos

Ok so , First of all , if you build the kit as prescribed , you will not need ballast , but it is a fine run thing . Any extra finishing weights or "clever" tail wheels should be approached with caution .

We have already suggested that for practical purposes , a three blade prop is the best compromise . To that end , either exhaust stacks work well , but are a compromise .

Nobody will point out that your "MkV" looky likey has a nose 20mm longer than it should have .

The earlier MkV stacks are a bit more robust when chucked in the car and it does give the option of going right back to Battle of Britain MkII .

We must avoid making Brian Taylor style competition winners . That will just put you off flying scale . Look at the pictures on the other Spitfire thread on this forum and you can see a bog stand WR Spit , which looks very credible .

Regarding the Decals , We can do pretty much any version you want for the same money , as long as you can send a profile picture of what you want. £24.95

JEJ is always popular so will be off the peg .

I am try to avoid sending small boxes and equally some things are pretty impossible to get at the moment . No motors for example .

If you want stacks , we will try to get them in your box . If you want decals then we can either put them in the kit or post them on as they go in a big envelope .

Paul Johnson 422/05/2020 15:01:35
761 forum posts
473 photos

Mk9 Mk5 Mk2

Take ya pick...

20170210_085214.jpg

Glynn24/05/2020 11:45:13
85 forum posts
52 photos

Right chaps, if you want some extra's without paying postage, I have done some Mk5 Exhausts, these are 3D printed in ABS and then vapour treated smooth. so ready to paint. They take 5 hours to make so am asking £10 and also the Mk9 exhausts are also £10 if you order with your kits. If you want Decal sets of a particular Pilot or Squadron as long as I can find a picture on the web I can do those for the normal price of £24.99 we do have quite a library, JEJ is usually in stock. Order thru a PM to Richard then we can make sure they go in your kit.

RICHARD WILLS28/05/2020 09:38:41
528 forum posts
69 photos

Sorry about the delay everyone . We had the kits finished on Tuesday all except the main spars which still hadnt turned up . Its the way things are at the moment . There are certain things you cant get at all . However I will be in possession of all of the Spitfires by Friday and will contact you for payment prior to dispatch .

For those puzzled by the above , the main spars are not 5mm square as you will see when you build , but their thickness and strength is critical .

When you start building , do refer to my tips a couple of pages back .

Thanks for your patience chaps .

Richard

Gavin Mack01/06/2020 11:23:47
88 forum posts
20 photos

this might be of interest to anyone looking for accurate details

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=308

https://www.monfortonpress.com/

Richard Clark 203/06/2020 04:30:32
295 forum posts
Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 28/05/2020 09:38:41:

Sorry about the delay everyone . We had the kits finished on Tuesday all except the main spars which still hadnt turned up . Its the way things are at the moment . There are certain things you cant get at all . However I will be in possession of all of the Spitfires by Friday and will contact you for payment prior to dispatch .

For those puzzled by the above , the main spars are not 5mm square as you will see when you build , but their thickness and strength is critical .

When you start building , do refer to my tips a couple of pages back .

Thanks for your patience chaps .

Richard

Richard,

I received my Spitfire mid-morning Tuesday 2nd June. It's an excellent kit, both in design, wood selection, and relative simplicity as a 'day-to day' but still convincing model.

I will need to practice my barrel rolls

Thank you.

leccyflyer03/06/2020 18:46:58
1481 forum posts
324 photos

Got mine today as well and I'm very impressed at the quality - as well as the packaging and prompt delivery with no damage and no drama. Thanks for the brilliant service and product.

RICHARD WILLS12/06/2020 09:49:52
528 forum posts
69 photos

Hello Chaps , Ive got a couple of spare Spitfires that I ordered as extras . So if anyone has a friend that admires their new kit , they can , at the moment , join the club .

Also of interest is a thread already running which will be on the new Warbirds P51 , which like the Spitfire , will have laser cut wings instead of the original foam veneer , All three P51 variants will be available .

I have also decided to keep a file on all of my Spitfire and Mustang builders with a view to asking them (via the forum) which prototypes they may be interested in for next year ,

It does seem that people want to buy my kits . So I have decided to ignore any competitors kits and produce my own version (if deemed desirable ) of some of the more prolific designs that I have , up to now , avoided .

Bruce Collinson12/06/2020 10:37:10
537 forum posts

Go Richard!

Been meaning to say, I found a couple of things the hard way, despite your endless help and the excellent build logs on here. EG dry build every part as far as possible; check angles of the root rib dihedral and the aileron sub rib very carefully; install the front spar before reinforcing the u/c plate; I found it far easier to skin in 4 parts, using the second section referencing the aileron cutout to locate it; beware when building the jigs, one is asymmetric; make sure the u/c plate ids the right way round ....

If I wasn't technophobic (one box, 19 wires, all different - whose idea was THAT?) and could post pics and wasn't such a bad builder I'd post it but would it be of any use to potential builders of a similar low standard to set these out sequentially? BTW you'll know this is far from criticism, I'm loving most of it, the retracts and pilot arrived and are yet another journey, some of it with Humbrol ...I'm even eyeing up a large roll of brown paper at the local farmshop!

All the best,

Bruce

gillyg112/06/2020 10:49:12
132 forum posts
20 photos

Nice one Richard, youcan count me in for any future projects you decide on.

Have already put the word out regarding new kits ( limited runs) available. But as you know limited people building in our hobby

With regard to my P51, haven't yet decided on which scheme/ version.

Will post soon with decision.

Cheers Graham ( cornwall)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!